PDA

View Full Version : Tablet

Flybyjim
01-13-2021, 04:33 AM
What brand tablets are you using in your plane? I have been using an I-pad mini but it does get hot and shuts down more often that I like. I am using Foreflight on this i-pad and also Garmin Pilot, I am becoming a fan of Garmin Pilot the more I use it.

CoClimber
01-13-2021, 07:00 AM
I use a Samsung 10" tablet with IFlyGPS. No heat issues.

PapuaPilot
01-13-2021, 07:32 AM
iPad Pro 9.7" (about 2 years old) with Garmin Pilot, which I love. I snap it into a holder on the instrument panel. I have not had overheating issues other than direct sunlight one time and I put my overhead sun shade up then which solved the problem.

Any tablet needs to have a fast processor. You need enough memory for the the app and all of the charts you want onboard, then double that so it has room to downloading then next set of updates. They need to be kept out of direct sunlight too, laying on seats isn't a good choice.

Flybyjim
01-13-2021, 07:52 AM
I use a Samsung 10" tablet with IFlyGPS. No heat issues.

So why a tablet and not the I-fly 740 hard shell from them?

CoClimber
01-13-2021, 08:03 AM
I had the tablet, which is much cheaper than the 740b. For me it is more flexible. I downloaded both the Garmin program and IFlyGPS to evaluate both. Didn't care for the Garmin as much. I believe it wouldn't talk to my Stratux, among other things.

alexM
01-13-2021, 09:52 AM
I ran the iFly software on my android phone and tablet for a year or so, and ran Garmin Pilot also. As with another user here, I didn't care for the Garmin application. Since I also like to take pictures when I'm flying I eventually got tired of multi tasking with a single device and then having a dead phone before the end of the day.

I found an iFly 700 on Barnstormers and it showed up on my doorstep the same day that iFly offered a screaming trade in deal for a brand new 740b, so I never even put power to the 700. The 740b has a great screen for bright sunlight (much better than my phone or tablet). If I'm honest it is otherwise a clunky device which requires very deliberate screen touches (they say it is on purpose) and some screen lag, but has otherwise been completely reliable.

I do love the flight planning interface which is super intuitive to me (I've read polarized opinions on that, so buyer beware).

My Stratus ESGi sends traffic data to the iFly reliably.

n85ae
01-13-2021, 01:40 PM
I like ForeFlight on iPad mini. I have tried several android tablets, and there are useable apps for sure
but nothing is even close to being in the same league with ForeFlight. Wish they would port it to Android

Probably my favorite on Android was Avare because it is free, but iFly GPS is probably better ...

Jeff

Flybyjim
01-13-2021, 06:44 PM
Thank you for all the information on the choices you have made and why.

jrevens
01-13-2021, 06:49 PM
I run FlyQ on my iPad Mini, but the iFly 740 that I have on the panel is also able to feed/drive my TruTrak autopilot for flight plans, etc. You can't do that with an iPad or other tablets. Both devices display traffic and weather simultaneously from my uAvionix ADS-B unit.

n85ae
01-14-2021, 11:21 AM
Just as a follow up for uAvionix/Foreflight. There is a rather maddening Apple "feature" where
the devices incessantly hunt for and connect to networks. So they will connect to ground based
wifi, and drop the connection to the ADSB this shows up as "ADS-B Disconnected"

The solution from Foreflight I was given, was to run the Apple device in "Airplane Mode" and then
connect to the wifi. This is supposed to turn off the hunting.

They may have fixed it by now.

I have noticed there is a direct relationship between sunlight and iPad overheating in flight
if it's in direct sun, there a good chance it may overheat. The solution I use is to move it out of the
sun, like to my kneeboard, etc.

Jeff

DesertFox4
01-14-2021, 09:10 PM
The solution from Foreflight I was given, was to run the Apple device in "Airplane Mode" and then
connect to the wifi. This is supposed to turn off the hunting.

Jeff, Thanks for posting this. I have this happen often while over Phoenix. I'll give it a try.

Eric Page
01-14-2021, 11:29 PM
If you're willing to do a little setup shenanigans, you can eliminate this problem in Apple devices. Unlike Windows computers, iOS doesn't allow users to see or edit the list of Wi-Fi networks that it has connected to in the past, nor can you globally turn off automatically joining known networks. You can, however, completely reset the list of known networks, so it won't try to join the Wi-Fi at every McDonalds or Starbucks you fly over.

Here's how:

1. Be sure you know the SSID and password for the WiFi network(s) you want the device to connect to (home and office Wi-Fi, EFIS, ADS-B unit, etc.), as you'll need to reenter them later.

2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to delete the list of known networks.

3. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and scroll to the bottom. Ensure that "Ask to Join Networks" is turned off.

4. Still in Settings > Wi-Fi, reconnect to your desired Wi-Fi network. You'll need to reestablish the connection to each network you use regularly.

There are two ways to prevent this problem from reoccurring, and both require some diligence to remember, as both must be done while the network is within range of the device.

Method 1: Change the setting for automatic connection. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to prevent from connecting automatically in the list of available networks. Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Turn "Auto-join" off. This method preserves any password that's required to join the network, but stops automatic connection.

Method 2: Make the device forget the network. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to forget (probably the one your device is connected to, at the top, with a blue check-mark to the left). Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Tap "Forget This Network." This method deletes the network from memory entirely.

Utah-Jay
01-15-2021, 08:17 AM
Ok, being the discussion has turned to WiFi I have a question.

I control my Go Pro via it’s WiFi, but I also use WiFi to get info from my Sentry for ForeFlight. Here is the problem, can’t do both at the same time. Any suggestions?

desertdave
01-15-2021, 08:58 AM
Ok, being the discussion has turned to WiFi I have a question.

I control my Go Pro via it’s WiFi, but I also use WiFi to get info from my Sentry for ForeFlight. Here is the problem, can’t do both at the same time. Any suggestions?

I use my phone to control the GoPro and my iPad for ADSB via Foreflight. You can't use one to control both.

n85ae
01-15-2021, 10:07 AM
Hey Eric, thanks for this post.

As I understand it - Apple Location Services uses it, and despite turning off wifi that simply makes it not
grab an ip, etc. BUT it is still connecting to networks. So you may be able to make it stick to a network
you cannot make it stop continuously connecting to others.

So while wifi is turned off, or setting are cleared, it's not really turned off. The one setting that is
supposed to stop this madness is 'airplane mode'

I am not an expert by any means, but I have had ongoing problems with both my iphone, and ipad with
uAvionix ADS-B and I opened trouble calls with both Foreflight, and uAvionix - Both of which blamed
Apple and their way location services works.

I flew with Avare, and iFly GPS on Android, and experienced none of the disconnects, which led me to
start opening support calls for the Apple devices.

Jeff

About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203033)

If you're willing to do a little setup shenanigans, you can eliminate this problem in Apple devices. Unlike Windows computers, iOS doesn't allow users to see or edit the list of Wi-Fi networks that it has connected to in the past, nor can you globally turn off automatically joining known networks. You can, however, completely reset the list of known networks, so it won't try to join the Wi-Fi at every McDonalds or Starbucks you fly over.

Here's how:

1. Be sure you know the SSID and password for the WiFi network(s) you want the device to connect to (home and office Wi-Fi, EFIS, ADS-B unit, etc.), as you'll need to reenter them later.

2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to delete the list of known networks.

3. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and scroll to the bottom. Ensure that "Ask to Join Networks" is turned off.

4. Still in Settings > Wi-Fi, reconnect to your desired Wi-Fi network. You'll need to reestablish the connection to each network you use regularly.

There are two ways to prevent this problem from reoccurring, and both require some diligence to remember, as both must be done while the network is within range of the device.

Method 1: Change the setting for automatic connection. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to prevent from connecting automatically in the list of available networks. Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Turn "Auto-join" off. This method preserves any password that's required to join the network, but stops automatic connection.

Method 2: Make the device forget the network. In Settings > Wi-Fi, find the network you want to forget (probably the one your device is connected to, at the top, with a blue check-mark to the left). Tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the network name. Tap "Forget This Network." This method deletes the network from memory entirely.

Eric Page
01-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Don't quote me on this -- I don't own a GoPro -- but a little searching online suggests that some GoPro models can be controlled using the GoPro app via Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi...

n85ae
01-15-2021, 10:14 AM
I'm talking about uAvionix ADS-B with Foreflight, not GoPro :)

jrevens
01-15-2021, 10:50 AM
I’ve never noticed that problem with FlyQ (Seattle Avionics) on my iPad and uAvionix ADS-B. The uAvionics Echo feeds weather and traffic to both my iPad and my iFly 740 simultaneously without any apparent problem. Is it possibly a ForeFlight issue? GoPro uses Bluetooth & WiFi. I use Bluetooth to control it with my phone. The latest app defaults to Bluetooth for that.

Utah-Jay
01-15-2021, 12:17 PM
Don't quote me on this -- I don't own a GoPro -- but a little searching online suggests that some GoPro models can be controlled using the GoPro app via Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi...

Thanks, I have the app and once the Sentry connected the go pro was disconnected. I will investigate the Bluetooth/GoPro thing tho.

Thanks

n85ae
01-15-2021, 06:36 PM
I did read that Foreflight had made some code changes, but both Foreflight and uAvionix pointed at
Apple when I opened support ticket. In any case, it was a known issue. This was almost a year ago now.
There is probably a workaround in code for it.

I used to run a homebrew Stratux and the uAvionix at the same time, and link my iphone or ipad
to the Stratux. However that has it's own set of problems (like not seeing towers) so lately I only
connect to the uAvionix. I haven't had the problem as much as I used to so I suspect they have made
some changes (Foreflight that is)

I’ve never noticed that problem with FlyQ (Seattle Avionics) on my iPad and uAvionix ADS-B. The uAvionics Echo feeds weather and traffic to both my iPad and my iFly 740 simultaneously without any apparent problem. Is it possibly a ForeFlight issue? GoPro uses Bluetooth & WiFi. I use Bluetooth to control it with my phone. The latest app defaults to Bluetooth for that.

mike92104
01-16-2021, 01:26 AM
I run a 8" Samsung tablet with Naviator. It's has only ever had one overheating issue, and it was because I left it on the glare shield. Subscription runs me about $35/year, and has been great. It's not Foreflight, but for VFR flying, it's just fine.

Flybyjim
01-16-2021, 05:06 AM
The response from this group is always impressive. It is informative to hear what apps folks are using in their planes for nav. I have played with a few over the years and sometimes get caught up it the next new apps, not sure why as I am a vfr guy and generally fly with in 200 miles of my home field. I do like trying new things just for the fun factor. The most intuitive app for me has been I-fly by Adventure Pilot for sure, if you have not tried it you can down load this on any tablet or purchase their hardware. As John stated their hardware will run an AP but there are more updates and features if I-fly is on a tablet. I have used Foreflight and it is loaded with a lot of goodies and has a good following with many users. While at Airventure a couple years back looking at different glass panels for my plane I chose the GarminG3X., since then I have been using Garmin Pilot app as it will upload to the G3X for flight planning, like any new tool there is a learning curve with their app. So I plan on a tablet that will run Garmin Pilot and I-fly along with the G3X, this might be overkill but I do like the different options in my flight bag. As for the tablet I am currently using an mini I-pad 4, I am looking into the screen quality and brightness of android tablets. My I-pad does seem to be sensitive to the heat issue.
Thanks for all the feed back.

n85ae
01-16-2021, 09:16 AM
For Android, Avare is actually a pretty decent App, and it is free. it works fine with uAvionix as well, and
while it's not totally intuitive how to use all the functions it does the job. It also has geo referenced
approach plates so if you want to go out and fly mock approached in your Kitfox you can do it. :)

FltPlan Go is also free, and while it's a bit clunky, it works pretty well.

Best of all - It's free.

I still like Foreflight better than anything else, and even bought an ipad so I could switch. The
more I use it the more I like it. I use the logbook functionality in it a lot. Plus keep all my
service doc pdf's in it. Track logs from lights, images, etc. As well the ability to automagically
sync between devices, and the web based services for planning and weather (and logbook)
are really good. (if you hear this Boeing ... I'll put a sticker on my plane for small fee ....) :)

Jeff

Utah-Jay
01-16-2021, 09:17 AM
The response from this group is always impressive. It is informative to hear what apps folks are using in their planes for nav. I have played with a few over the years and sometimes get caught up it the next new apps, not sure why as I am a vfr guy and generally fly with in 200 miles of my home field. I do like trying new things just for the fun factor. The most intuitive app for me has been I-fly by Adventure Pilot for sure, if you have not tried it you can down load this on any tablet or purchase their hardware. As John stated their hardware will run an AP but there are more updates and features if I-fly is on a tablet. I have used Foreflight and it is loaded with a lot of goodies and has a good following with many users. While at Airventure a couple years back looking at different glass panels for my plane I chose the GarminG3X., since then I have been using Garmin Pilot app as it will upload to the G3X for flight planning, like any new tool there is a learning curve with their app. So I plan on a tablet that will run Garmin Pilot and I-fly along with the G3X, this might be overkill but I do like the different options in my flight bag. As for the tablet I am currently using an mini I-pad 4, I am looking into the screen quality and brightness of android tablets. My I-pad does seem to be sensitive to the heat issue.
Thanks for all the feed back.

Jim

Foreflight will upload flight plans to your G3x via the connect. As long as you have the iPad Bluetooth connected to the G3x you can upload in one step.