PDA

View Full Version : Airworthiness Certification

Kahle76
01-12-2021, 07:34 AM
Has anyone gone through the certification in the last month? I completed my Kitfox last month and contacted the DAR that I have been talking with over the last few years and he said that the FAA has changed the process recently. He has just started trying to find out how to navigate this new process. His FAA contact has informed him that the builder is supposed to go online and digitally fill out 8130-6. I can find the PDF but not the digital form. Any help would be appreciated.

avidflyer
01-12-2021, 08:03 AM
I found this. FAA Form 8130-6, Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate (https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_8130-6.pdf) JImChuk

Kahle76
01-12-2021, 08:13 AM
I found this. FAA Form 8130-6, Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate (https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_8130-6.pdf) JImChuk

That is the PDF form that I can print off, but I can’t find a way to fill out this form digitally on the FAA website as suggested by my DAR.

Meyer
01-12-2021, 10:26 AM
You have to use the AWC portal now. Google and it will come up. You can no longer fill out the paper and hand it to someone.

You will likely have more questions as you step through the portal about how to answer some of the questions.

Maverick
01-12-2021, 10:31 AM
I think you go here to start the aircraft certification process
https://awc.faa.gov/AWCExternalApplicant/Splash/Index

I think you go here to request repairman's certificate for the airplane after it has been certified
https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/default.aspx

The EAA used to have a step-by-step certification guide but, I think they have taken it off line. At least, I haven't been able to find it online anymore. I bought it last fall but it was so out of date that I didn't get much benefit from it. It was quite a task to complete all the online forms and database navigation for both of the above processes.

Hope this helps some.
Fred

Kahle76
01-12-2021, 06:15 PM
I think you go here to start the aircraft certification process
https://awc.faa.gov/AWCExternalApplicant/Splash/Index

I think you go here to request repairman's certificate for the airplane after it has been certified
https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/default.aspx

The EAA used to have a step-by-step certification guide but, I think they have taken it off line. At least, I haven't been able to find it online anymore. I bought it last fall but it was so out of date that I didn't get much benefit from it. It was quite a task to complete all the online forms and database navigation for both of the above processes.

Hope this helps some.
Fred

I ended up calling EAA and they have a new document that they emailed me laying out the step by step process. It is the new FAA procedure filling out the documents on line. With out authorization from EAA, I hesitate to post it here. Please call them to help when you get to that step.

Meyer
01-13-2021, 06:41 AM
I got my AWC two months ago. I like the process and the online portal. My local FSDO reviewed everything ahead of time, and checked it for any problems. That way when the DAR came out, we knew ahead of time the paperwork piece was good to go.

3kdscf
01-19-2021, 10:34 AM
I got my AWC two months ago. I like the process and the online portal. My local FSDO reviewed everything ahead of time, and checked it for any problems. That way when the DAR came out, we knew ahead of time the paperwork piece was good to go.

I think this points out how things can be completely different from FSDO to FSDO. I got my airworthiness cert in Oct of 2019. Before my inspection, the DAR had me fill out everything so he could look them over and correct any issues. At the inspection, he electronically uploaded everything to the FAA and printed me off the airworthiness certificate with his portable printer right then and there. Just a warning, the FAA is way behind on processing and the airworthiness certification took four full months to show up on registry.faa.gov.

As a side note, I did not realize the importance of getting a DAR who works out of the FSDO where your home base airport for phase 1 testing will take place. My DAR was not able to do the repairman certificate and passed me off to the local FSDO for this. I *think* had he been based in the local FSDO, he could have done that for me at the same time. My local FSDO is horribly overworked and understaffed at the moment, I am guessing others are in the same boat.

109JB
01-19-2021, 11:16 AM
A DAR cannot issue a repairman certificate. The FSDO does that.

3kdscf
01-19-2021, 11:26 AM
A DAR cannot issue a repairman certificate. The FSDO does that.
I did not know that, thanks for clarifying!

Cherrybark
01-19-2021, 02:36 PM
Just went through the certification process (Jan '21) with a very experienced (1000+ planes) and helpful DAR. In Dec he sent me a paperwork kit with the required forms and his instructions on how to fill them out. Much of the information had already been printed on the form. I didn't even know about the online process until reading this thread. He must have taken care of that part himself. Airworthiness was issued on the spot along with paperwork and instructions to apply for repairman certificate. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

DesertFox4
01-19-2021, 03:48 PM
Again congrats on your Airworthiness Certificate Carl. You have a real airplane today.

Frontier Fox
01-19-2021, 08:32 PM
My airworthiness paperwork was all done ahead of time. The DAR (not from local FSDO) has a website and everything was checked out before we met at the airport.
I set up a ZOOM meeting with a gentleman from the FSDO for my Repairman’s Certificate. That process went very well and I received a temporary certificate, the final was “pending” until it was approved by the FAA. It took five weeks to receive the Repairman’s Certificate card. It looks a lot like your PPL and lists the airplane and serial number.

Kahle76
01-21-2021, 07:59 PM
Just went through the certification process (Jan '21) with a very experienced (1000+ planes) and helpful DAR. In Dec he sent me a paperwork kit with the required forms and his instructions on how to fill them out. Much of the information had already been printed on the form. I didn't even know about the online process until reading this thread. He must have taken care of that part himself. Airworthiness was issued on the spot along with paperwork and instructions to apply for repairman certificate. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

How long did it take the FAA to take the next step after you filled the online?

Cherrybark
01-22-2021, 07:24 AM
Filed an application for my Repairman Certificate on Wednesday and was issued the temporary card Friday morning. North Texas FSDO would have issued the card Thursday but were delayed by an accident investigation. I was floored by the two day turnaround.

Meyer
01-22-2021, 09:18 AM
My DAR was waiting for me to finish in the portal. Once it was done, he called the FSDO the next day. I got a green light email from the FSDO in 2 days.