PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Maintenance Tasks and Intervals

Birdseyeview
01-06-2021, 12:10 AM
I've been focused on the maintenance steps and intervals for my 912 ULS and they are very detailed and complete. There doesn't seem to be anything similar that I can find on the airframe and other non-engine systems in the aircraft, except the battery changes in my ELT. All I have found to date is a page in my build manual listing the recommended lubricants, brake fluid type and tire pressures. Are the items in the aircraft that need lube now and then supposed to get it during the annual inspection, if they seem to need it or what? What am I missing?

SomeDay7
01-06-2021, 11:20 AM
At the bottom of the kitfox website there is a maintenance checklist for the kitfox.

Birdseyeview
01-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Starfox,

I have seen the final inspection checklist at the back of my own build manual and wondered if builders were using it as the basis for their non-engine annual condition and/or 100 hour inspection checklist. I guess this will do for me as well. Thanks

jiott
01-06-2021, 01:06 PM
Yes, that is what is recommended as the annual checklist. The 100 hr engine checklist comes from the Rotax maintenance manual, which overlaps somewhat with the Kitfox annual checklist. Since I fly more than 100 hrs per year I end up doing the Rotax checklist more than once per year, so I have modified the annual checklist by crossing off the items that are already done on the engine; that way everything gets done at least once a year but not more often than necessary.

Flybyjim
01-06-2021, 08:03 PM
Good for you being able to get 100 hours per year flying, I need to retire soon.

3kdscf
02-04-2021, 09:12 AM
What am I missing?

I completed my Series 6 a few months ago and am missing this too. The maintenance intervals for the 912ULS and Whirwind prop are very carefully and unambiguously spelled out, the airframe is another matter. As was mentioned, there is a final inspection checklist on the kitfox website (and at end of the builders manual) BUT that is missing a lot of stuff I expect to see on an annual checklist. What about ...

checking/cleaning finger screens in main tanks?
checking/cleaning inline fuel filter?
folding wings and inspecting spar hinges from inside for wear and cracks?

None of that is covered in the Kitfox checklist that I have seen.

jiott
02-04-2021, 11:08 AM
If you feel those items, and others, are important for an annual, just add them to the list. I have added about 1/2 dozen items to my checklist.
The fuel filter definitely needs to be added if it is not part of the engine 100 hour list.
I personally don't check tank finger strainers; they are very coarse and if they ever start to plug up there will be early warning in the fuel filter. They are also very difficult to check for no good reason.
Spar hinges have never been a problem area.

PapuaPilot
02-04-2021, 03:19 PM
Most likely your Operating Limitations says something like "a condition inspection must be performed in accordance with the scope and detail to FAR 43 Appendix D . . . and was found to be in a condition for safe operation." The items listed in App. D are generic, the bare minimums and the basis for making your checklist. This list is different than the final assembly checklist. There are other things that should be added to your checklist like the ELT battery expiration. You should follow any manufacture's recommendations for routine/annual maintenance (engine, prop, ELT, magneto, avionics, etc.). Don't forget to track your transponder biennial test (FAR 91.413).

The bottom line is you need to build a suitable checklist for your aircraft, engine, prop and accessories. I used the final assembly checklist and kept adding things from there. I also print the checklists or incorporate the data from P-Mag, Continental, ACK, etc.

As a side note. Just because you built the plane and have the repairman's certificate doesn't mean you have the knowledge and experience to maintain it safely. Vic Syracuse talked about this last week on one of the EAA Homebuilder seminars. You legally can do it, but it is prudent to get proper training for maintaining the engine, prop, avionics, ELT, etc.

This was just put out today by the EAA where Vic Syracuse mentions AC43-13 again.
Jam Nuts Redux – Hangar Flying (eaa.org) (http://inspire.eaa.org/2021/02/04/jam-nuts-redux/?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWkRBMU56aGtNRFl4WmpkaSIsInQiOiJkS DlUZVNcL2dlQjN4dFlBcXVQN3p2RmVrVXF4V1p1Qm5DSnk1bnl GWEh2cXphU0RpQkRySDhxcG1zWmFVcVRSdWtIMnFcL3pnODN2Q 1JBMnFqdnlMZVpJNWgzdTJRaXpDdlpHYTZNZTlGaHFxdTRGem5 tOElYWDdXS1hpZ2JCbG1NIn0%3D)

GuppyWN
02-04-2021, 06:35 PM
Anyone have a easy grid list for Rotax 912ULS service intervals?

rv9ralph
02-04-2021, 07:38 PM
Anyone have a easy grid list for Rotax 912ULS service intervals?

There is a maintenance grid in section 05-20-00 of the Rotax Maintenance manual available online at Rotax-owner.com.

Ralph

GuppyWN
02-04-2021, 07:56 PM
Ralph,

Thanks but that's 7 pages long. Didn't know if someone had made up a one page easy view grid for the intervals. I've been meaning to make one. It's probably time.

3kdscf
02-05-2021, 09:33 AM
If you feel those items, and others, are important for an annual, just add them to the list. I have added about 1/2 dozen items to my checklist.
The fuel filter definitely needs to be added if it is not part of the engine 100 hour list.
I personally don't check tank finger strainers; they are very coarse and if they ever start to plug up there will be early warning in the fuel filter. They are also very difficult to check for no good reason.
Spar hinges have never been a problem area.
Thanks Jim!

I was just paranoid I was missing some checklist somewhere that would put me in legal trouble with the FAA. What you say about the finger strainers make complete sense, there would be plenty of warning. In the end, we are the manufacturer and have the knowledge about what maintenance is prudent to do on a yearly basis.

Thanks again!

Scooby

n85ae
02-05-2021, 10:53 AM
My annual, is actually an ongoing never ending process, and once a year I sign off the paperwork.
Some things are seasonal like prop torque, fuel injection pressures, etc. I'm not sure if a once a year
big teardown is really a great idea. I tend to think as a one man operation I do things better, and
more thoroughly if I just focus on one area at a time.

This process is better, because I'm not in a rush, and I tend to pay extra attention to double checking
my work when I am not in a hurry to get through a big list of things.

For example recently I completely reworked my tailspring, tailwheel, tailwheel tire, and associated
hardware. This was pretty much a weekend operation. Speaking of which I still cannot understand
why people tend to not like Maule tailwheels. Mine is simple, works well, very rugged, and I have had
absolutely zero problems with it.

Next I spent a lot of time servicing plugs, mag timing, looking at the starter, oil and filter, etc.
this was another weekend.

Another weekend I replaced the main tires, and relined the brakes.

Pretty soon I will yank the seat, and work around the header, and while the seat is out inspect
everything under there. That will be a weekends worth of work.

Whenever I'm around some moving linkages, etc. I tend to say "oh, better squirt some lube
on these while I'm here". So that just gets done, here and there, and sort of informally

By the time a year rolls around, I will have looked at and serviced everything, and a lot of it will
be based on condition. However, I won't be doing a one shot "annual inspection"

Jeff