PDA

View Full Version : Rotax Prices

bumsteer
01-05-2021, 12:21 PM
Guess I should have bought last year like I wanted to. 912uls and 912is both went up about $3000. This is at Leading Edge. Haven't checked with John M yet.

Rick

Kitfox Pilot
01-09-2021, 09:07 PM
Guess I should have bought last year like I wanted to. 912uls and 912is both went up about $3000. This is at Leading Edge. Haven't checked with John M yet.

Rick

I did the same thing. I was going to buy at the end of the year till I found I couldn't get a FWF kit for 6 or 7 months and I thought I didn't want the engine setting around the shop that long......
Oh well won't be my last mistake in less I pass soon....

DMMeix
03-19-2021, 01:39 PM
I'm guessing the price increase is only continuing in this direction (up!). Is there a disadvantage to buying an engine even though it will likely be 2-3 years before I'm at a point to install it?

Av8r_Sed
03-19-2021, 02:21 PM
Your warrantee will be expired and you'll be half way through the 5 year rubber replacement time. Also you need a clean climate controlled place to store the engine. Even if the price increases, it's not worth the early purchase. Also, no guarantees that you'll actually be ready in 2-3 years. I made that mistake on my build. I had to have my engine overhauled before it was ever started.

DMMeix
03-19-2021, 03:55 PM
I figured the warranty issue would be enough to dissuade me. Is the rubber replacement an issue because it just degrades that fast, despite no actual engine hours? It seems an odd thing to put a time requirement on (vs hours). Forgive my ignorance.

Av8r_Sed
03-21-2021, 06:57 PM
If it's experimental, you can choose what maintenance protocol you follow. Rotax specifies a 5 year period for rubber replacement, I'm sure with a large safety margin because they don't know how their product will be used or stored. Still, many follow the Rotax suggested maintenance as good practice. My best advice is still to hold off on the engine and avionics until you know you're ready for them. (Lighting falls into that category as well).