PDA

View Full Version : Fuel flow sender location

akarmy
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi, For you Series 5 - 7 builders, if you have installed a fuel flow sender in your fuel system, where did you locate it to plumb it in.

I'm in the process of replacing mine and don't like the current implementation. Mine is currently located in the central tunnel between the shutoff valve and electric boost pump. It's very tight in there and lots of bending and curving tube & hoses. Seems like there must be a better location with a clear shot to run the lines.

akarmy
01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi, For you Series 5 - 7 builders, if you have installed a fuel flow sender in your fuel system, where did you locate it to plumb it in.

Hum, no responses out there... Here's a picture to get you thinking. What bothers me about the current setup is that it has no less than 2 complete 180 sweeps made with rubber hose inside the tunnel. Seems like that could cause problems over time.

Right now it's aluminum line to the fuel selector | then fuel filter | electric boost pump | fuel flow transducer | firewall passthrough. Do some of you run a fuel filter on the other side of the firewall so that at least when you change it you don't get gas in the cockpit?

http://flying.karmy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/20100118-P1000828.jpg

DesertFox4
01-19-2010, 02:15 PM
My fuel flow transducer is mounted behind my battery which is mounted on the right tray behind the panel. Grand Rapids Tech. said in the instructions that it needed a straight run of fuel line into and out of the unit for several inches. Not having that much room to get the straight runs called for I ended up with about half the lengths required. Tested and flown for 700 plus hours now and it works flawlessly and accurately.
Looks like from the photo you could lose the filter (strange location for service) and remount the fuel pump 180 degrees and have a straight shot out the front towards the firewall to mount your fuel flow transducer.
Put the filter just before the mechanical fuel pump. Much easier to service and many have it in that location.

N218SM
01-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi Andy,

I've got the Sport/S7 and I fabricated a bracket for the console/tunnel to mount my fuel flow transducer. It's located about halfway between the firewall and the fuel shut off valve. Allthough I don't have the boost pump to deal with. And the fuel filter on mine is located just prior to the mechanical fuel pump as shown in my builders manual. Hope this helps.

Scott Miller
Kitfox Sport
Seattle/Bremerton, WA