PDA

View Full Version : 912 is ??

WestOkie
12-05-2020, 07:10 PM
I'm building and S7 SS and would like feedback for those that have selected the 912IS. I live in the midwest (elevation 1600ft) and will be using this plane for all around activities. I do not have a need for high altitude operations in most cases but would like to fly to the mountains from time to time. Please let me know you thoughts regarding selection of this engine as well of prop setups that you feel are best choice. Thank you so much.

efwd
12-06-2020, 09:30 AM
Love the 912is. I have taken my plane to Big Bear airport with DA of more than 9500ft single occupant. Definetly notice but I flew it out of there no problem. I would love to have a turbo but I wouldn't be using it that much to be honest. Im using a Whirlwind ground adjustable prop.

Av8r3400
12-06-2020, 10:41 AM
I have a low tech carbureted 912 in my plane.

Even with this carbureted engine I am very pleased with the high altitude performance I get. I have been out west several times now, flying to airports with 8000-10,000 DA conditions. I have never had want for the heat, complexity and weight of a turbo.

I can only imagine that the altitude compensation from fuel injection would only be better than my carbs.

jrevens
12-06-2020, 02:01 PM
My basic 912ULS does fine ... had a nice flight up to Leadville, Colorado yesterday - elevation 9933’ MSL. BTW, that’s an 80 hp 912 Mod. IV parked by me that does very well also.

Meyer
12-06-2020, 04:32 PM
I have the iS. Whirlwind ground adjustable also. In phase 1 now with about 20 hours. It is great. Flew similar setup at Stick N Rudder in Idaho. Excellent.

Frontier Fox
12-06-2020, 05:42 PM
I installed the 912iS with an inflight adjustable Airmaster with 75” Whirlwind blades. I too, am in Phase 1 at about 20 hours. Very happy with how easy it is to start and the performance. Have not flown in high DA yet. I have heard that the gear box requires maintenance sooner than the ULS but no regrets on the setup.

jiott
12-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Frontier Fox, just curious, did you solve your erratic trim system problem?

Frontier Fox
12-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Jim
Yes I did. I grounded the airplane until it was resolved. Worked with Rob Hickman at AFS and ended up installing an amp booster made by TCW. I was not getting the amps needed to operate the trim when it was under a load. Works great now.

efwd
12-07-2020, 09:30 PM
And that right there is a nugget for anyone who is installing the G3X with Autopilot. The TCW boost is a necessary addition to your build as the G3X cannot operate the trim motor and therefore the AP would be unable to trim the plane.

ejoern
12-09-2020, 09:01 PM
I also really like the 912Is. Been to Oshkosh and also to the Idaho/Montana back country from Colorado. No issues at all even when flying with 2 people and a full load in back & full tanks. Also, the fuel economy is awesome. I was flying with my brother who has the 912ULS in his Kitfox. I was burning close to half what he was burning in cruise. I fly out of a field at 6800' in Colorado and I get off the ground faster than most. I have the Airmaster prop and am a big fan.

bbs428
12-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Jim
Yes I did. I grounded the airplane until it was resolved. Worked with Rob Hickman at AFS and ended up installing an amp booster made by TCW. I was not getting the amps needed to operate the trim when it was under a load. Works great now.

Thanks for that info. Appreciate ya! :D