PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Shutter Installation 912ULS

Skipatrol
11-30-2020, 10:17 PM
Hi Everyone, just completed my oil cooler shutter installation. During the winter my oil would rarely go above 170 degrees in flat cruise, even with tape over the oil and water radiators. I bought this shutter (https://antisplataero.com/products/oil-cooler-air-shutter), a push-pull cable and cable lock nut (all from same website) and attached two pieces of 1/8x3/4 aluminum plate to the back of the shutter. I used four wire ties to attach the shutter to the front of the oil cooler, and I can remove it in less than a minute. Today I tested the new shutter. At full open shutter, 58 degrees outside temperature, the 912uls still ran at 170 degrees in flat cruise. At half shutter, temperature increased to 210 degrees and full shutter it got up to 238 degrees before I opened it up again. On a 100+ degree day (Prior to shutter install), my Kitfox will hit about 230 degrees when climbing at full throttle. Even though this shutter does not cover my entire cooler, I think it covers enough to keep my engine warm. I can always tape the small section of cooler not covered by the shutter if I encounter some really cold temps. When the hot weather hits next summer I can quickly remove the shutter if it seems to cause overheating. Next time I remove the shutter I will also redrill the holes so the shutter is centered on the radiator.

littlecricket
12-01-2020, 08:40 AM
Looks great I’m encouraged by your results. I always have a hard time getting my oil up to temp. Where did you purchase the shudder? Thanks

Shadowrider
12-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Looks good! How did you mount the cable in the cockpit? Does your cable lock in the position you set it? Is this where you got the cable from?

https://antisplataero.com/products/bowden-cable-assembly

Skipatrol
12-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Looks great I’m encouraged by your results. I always have a hard time getting my oil up to temp. Where did you purchase the shudder? Thanks

Here is the seller: https://antisplataero.com/products/oil-cooler-air-shutter

Skipatrol
12-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Looks good! How did you mount the cable in the cockpit? Does your cable lock in the position you set it? Is this where you got the cable from?

https://antisplataero.com/products/bowden-cable-assembly

I temporarily mounted a bracket for the push/pull cable next to my other knobs controlling choke, throttle and parking brake. The bracket is held in place by the nut on the back of the parking brake push/pull. In the future I will fabricate a new aluminum plate that holds all four push/pull knobs. There is enough friction in this setup that I wont need to worry about locking the cable.

4Hummer
12-05-2020, 08:04 PM
Just ordered the same kit. Thanks for reassuring me. I'll post results when I get it

Skipatrol
12-05-2020, 08:43 PM
Just ordered the same kit. Thanks for reassuring me. I'll post results when I get itSounds good. You will need to anchor the outer cable housing just before it gets to the shutter. I wrapped some electrical tape around the housing then used a small hose clamp with a wire tie to secure the cable to the base of the fuel pump as seen in pic.

4Hummer
01-06-2021, 11:48 PM
Here's the Unit I built using anti-splat's louver. Working Perfect, I zipped tied the bracket on as well (easy off if ever required)

Note the top L has to be notched slightly for the oil lines

Shadowrider
01-07-2021, 08:46 AM
Looks good! I have had some more time to work on mine. I needed it 30% bigger so I have redrawn it on solid works and I found a local shop that will water jet it out. Hopefully getting it cutout this week and start installing it next week.

Maverick
01-08-2021, 04:31 PM
When you add these shutters to your oil coolers, how does it impact your cowling? My cowling fits pretty tight around the top of the cooler so, I wonder about the routing of cables, additional bracketry, etc. becoming an issue.
Fred

Skipatrol
01-08-2021, 05:28 PM
When you add these shutters to your oil coolers, how does it impact your cowling? My cowling fits pretty tight around the top of the cooler so, I wonder about the routing of cables, additional bracketry, etc. becoming an issue.
Fred
The shutter itself needs very little room. The cable is attached to the fuel pump on my 912uls and doesnt need much room.

Skipatrol
01-08-2021, 05:29 PM
Here's the Unit I built using anti-splat's louver. Working Perfect, I zipped tied the bracket on as well (easy off if ever required)

Note the top L has to be notched slightly for the oil lines
26721Looks great! I think will add the side covers like you did.