PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedal Position

tdldedcd
11-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Hi All,

I'm working on a kit purchased from someone else that had some work already completed. Finished up rebuilding the rudder pedal assembly and as I went to reinstall, I noticed that he had mounted the assembly 1" further back than the manual calls for. The manual calls for mounting the assembly 2 7/16" inches from the forward face of the fuselage tube. He mounted 3 7/16". Any reason he would have done this or was it a mistake? I wanted to check with the group before I redrilled the holes.

Thanks

Av8r3400
11-29-2020, 08:25 AM
Short legs?

tdldedcd
11-29-2020, 11:32 AM
Yep!! Any down side or problems having them back that far?

efwd
11-29-2020, 01:23 PM
Your tall enough to use the furthest forward position in my plane. I bet your toes will apply the brakes if they are too close to you. If it were me (and 6ft tall) I would build per the manual.

tdldedcd
11-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Thx Eddie. Got home convinced I was going to move the pedals and discovered why they were moved back. The original builder drilled holes at 2 7/16" but they were too far out and created about a 1/2" gap in the rudder pedal assembly. Too much to take up with washers. Not too keen on putting a 3rd set of holes in the channel, so going to go back to the holes at 3 7/16".

Thanks again for the advice.

Maverick
12-04-2020, 04:58 PM
As to Eddie's thought about the brakes, you should be able to tilt the pedals forward enough with adjustment to the calipers so that you don't brake too easily.

Bartman1959
12-14-2020, 07:17 PM
As to Eddie's thought about the brakes, you should be able to tilt the pedals forward enough with adjustment to the calipers so that you don't brake too easily.

The previous owner of my Series 5 put a wood strip across the bottom of the rudder pedals on mine. There is no way for you to apply pressure to the brakes on accident, unless you are wearing heavy boots while flying.