PDA

View Full Version : Tire Suggestions?

n85ae
11-25-2020, 08:16 PM
Somebody mentioned cracking tires, and that was enough, I got the curse, and find cracking
between treads ... So being as it's almost X-Mas think I'll buy some tires.

Any thoughts about - AERO CLASSIC 21/800-6 4-PLY - TUNDRA FLOATION TT/FL TIRE

Thanks,
Jeff

PapuaPilot
11-25-2020, 11:00 PM
It looks like the load rating is 800# per tire, which means a pair is barely enough for a 1550# Kitfox.

These tire are really nice, TSOed, a little larger diameter and hold up very well. They have double the load rating (1600#), but are twice the price as well: AERO CLASSIC SMOOTH TUNDRA FAA TSO TIRE 850-6 4 PLY

airlina
11-26-2020, 04:21 AM
I'm with Phil on this one Jeff, same tires on mine. I know not much need for tundra tires in Chicago ,but you sure will look cool. I probably do 75% turf /25% hard surface runways and after 3 years no appreciable wear noted. Only weigh 10 lbs per tire as well. They are a real nice match for our airplanes. Bruce N199CL

n85ae
11-26-2020, 09:31 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. I don't need them where I fly. Here's my normal flying:

Cold, and wet time of the year (1/2-3/4 of the year) 100% pavement
Warm summer months nearly every flight is to some turf airport. so 50/50 turf/asphalt.
Off airport, or gravel bars ... This is something I watch in YouTube video's ...

I have had two set's of Air Trac 6.00x6 tires, they wear fast on pavement, and the second
set has cracking. They are a rough feeling tire on turf. So I honestly don't like his tire, but
the size is good for pavement. Plus they are cheap.

I have thought about getting a set of 15x6.00-6 4-ply Air Trac which should give me a bit
more cushion on turf. Any thoughts?

To be honest I hate Air Trac tires after two sets, but they seem to have the best oval profile
which for a taildragger seems best. Is there any other brand/model (Condor, Goodyear, etc)
which have a decent profile for tailwheel?

If I could get a decent profile tire, that was better quality than Air Trac, that would likely
be my choice for where I fly. Something in the smaller size close to a 6.00x6 or 8.00x6
My web surfing for tires in leading back to Air Trac so looking like that might be what I buy.

I did have 8.50's on it at one time, but they were heavy, and stiff, and every landing was
an adventure on pavement so I sold them. They did look cool though.

Jeff

PapuaPilot
11-26-2020, 09:55 AM
I don't know of any 600x6 tires that I would recommend. The tire we are suggesting is neither heavy or stiff. They are only 10 pounds each, not 15# like most others and they are "pillow soft". I have another set of wheels with 600x6 tires and they weigh exactly the same as my wheels with the AirTrac 850x6 tundra tires; 19.5 lbs if I remember right. I think these tires are going to last 1000 hours and at least 2500 landings (50% on pavement). If you are not opposed to having larger tires these are one of the best values out there.

jrevens
11-26-2020, 02:03 PM
I agree with Phil & Bruce. I've got those too... they're nice.

PapuaPilot
11-26-2020, 02:13 PM
"All I want for Christmas is my two front tires"

Av8r3400
11-26-2020, 06:40 PM
Somebody mentioned cracking tires, and that was enough, I got the curse, and find cracking
between treads ... So being as it's almost X-Mas think I'll buy some tires.

Any thoughts about - AERO CLASSIC 21/800-6 4-PLY - TUNDRA FLOATION TT/FL TIRE

Thanks,
Jeff

Those are awesome tires. I run a set with my skis and if I didn't have the Airstreaks, I'd run them all year.

bstell
11-26-2020, 07:45 PM
the 8.50x6 Phil and others mentioned are tricky to get right now, I ordered some two months ago, they were supposed to ship Nov 20th but now it's looking like mid December. Apparently there was a fire at the factory. I can't comment on how good they are just yet.

n85ae
11-29-2020, 06:22 PM
Nobody has the Tundra tires in stock, and since I did have a set of Condor 800x6's sitting in the shop for another
project, I stole them and put them on the Kitfox. Have to say the ride is much nicer than the AirTrac's both on
pavement, and rough turf. The Condor's are a nice tire.

Also in the picture, the observant will notice I have my light bar installed as well which can be used for spotlighting
deer and playing havoc with night time drivers on country roads ...

Jeff

Maverick
12-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Phil, is your lack of recommendation of a 600-6 tire because you don't think they are safe or just a lack of experience?

It looks like the majority like the AERO CLASSIC SMOOTH TUNDRA FAA TSO TIRE 850-6 4 PLY. Given that these are not available for the foreseeable future according to Dresser and AC Spruce, as well as price and questionable clearance with Cleveland wheels and brakes, I am considering the AIR HAWK 600-6 6PLY TIRE. From what I've read, these are made by McCreary.

My flying is likely going to be mostly from hard surface with occasional soft or dessert surface runways. Is there anyone with experience with the AIR HAWK 600-6 6PLY tires?

n85ae
12-02-2020, 10:12 AM
I have flown N85AE on 6.00x6 AirTracs through two sets of tires (second set developed cracking), and
briefly AirTrac 8.50x6 (heavy tire) and hated them. The Condor 8.00x6 I just put on I have to say look
and feel really nice. I can't say how well they last, but for now I really like them.

I would have bought Desser's 21/800x6 Tundra's, but nobody has any.

In hindsight I can see running 600x6 tires, but I would never buy AirTracs again. I think the 800's
are a better size for the plane if you ever fly to turf or unpaved runways. I will say with my
Grove gear they ride a lot better that the 6.00's and smooth out the ride when taxiing anyway ...

The AirHawk 600x6 seem like a nice tire, and I see a lot worn out AirHawks in the FBO's used tire stack
by the dumpster ...

If you fly primarily off a paved runway, the only reason you need a tire bigger than the 600's is to avoid
snippy comments from the big tire guys :)

Jeff

PapuaPilot
12-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Phil, is your lack of recommendation of a 600-6 tire because you don't think they are safe or just a lack of experience?

It is from a lack of experience. We don't use 600x6 except for nose wheels where I work, so I don't have any suggestions.

Maverick
12-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Here's what I went with for now, Air Hawk 600-6 six ply. They are rated to 1750 lbs. Total cost with two tires and two Air Classic tubes was circa $325.00 from Aircraft Spruce. I went to Desser first but, they back-ordered me until Dec. 11th. Aircraft Spruce had them in stock and I got them in two days.

What is the recommendation on wheel bearing grease?

PapuaPilot
12-04-2020, 07:12 PM
I started using marine axle grease a few years ago and really like it. We have been using it where I work for years on our C-206s. It is really sticky, keeps the water out and holds up a long time.