PDA

View Full Version : Model 4 elevator pushrod end adaptor is loose.

herman pahls
11-17-2020, 05:38 PM
Hello forum
I did not build this model 4, so when the A&P did the condition inspection he found that the machined aluminum adaptor (that the rod end that activates the elevator attaches to) that is riveted to the elevator pushrod is slightly loose in the pushrod.
Drilling out the rivets would most likely enlarge the holes if the plan was to attempt re-riveting with the same size rivets to secure the interface.
The steel adaptor that the rod end attaches to and is also riveted to the same aluminum adaptor is also slight loose in the adaptor.

Would going to the next size rivet be acceptable?
Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
Is structural adhesive used to help bond that joint before riveting?

Thanks
Herman

109JB
11-17-2020, 09:55 PM
I just had to replace the steel end that has the threads for the rod end because it got bent in the nose-over before I got it. In my case, I was able to drill out the 1/8" rivets and go back with 1/8". In your case, if they are loose then going back in with 1/8" probably won't help, at least not for long. I would probably go with 5/32" stainless rivets. 3/16 would fit too, but I would only go up one size to start. Mine weren't hysol'd in and were tight. Actually had to heat with a propane torch to get the bent steel end out.

efwd
11-18-2020, 08:45 AM
They actually sell rivets precisely for this purpose if My memory serves correctly. They are slightly oversized from the original rivet.

Jerrytex
11-18-2020, 08:56 AM
Not sure on the 4 (although it looks just like the same setup) but I recently installed these on my Model 5 and they are hysoled in as well as riveted.

109JB
11-18-2020, 09:14 AM
They actually sell rivets precisely for this purpose if My memory serves correctly. They are slightly oversized from the original rivet.

Do they sell oversize pop rivets? I'm aware of oversize solid rivets but have never heard of this for pop rivets.

jrevens
11-18-2020, 10:13 AM
Do they sell oversize pop rivets? I'm aware of oversize solid rivets but have never heard of this for pop rivets.

CherryMax rivets are available in a slightly larger diameter for this purpose. They can be pulled with a regular "pop rivet" gun. I believe they require a hole size of 0.143 to 0.146" (#27 drill). They have the equivalent or better strength of a solid "AN" aluminum rivet. I would definitely bond the joint with epoxy as well as rivet.