PDA

View Full Version : Winter time oil and coolant temps???

avidflyer
09-27-2020, 07:15 PM
Hi all, no responces on my cabin heat post yet, so I'll try another angle. It's info I want either way besides. Mainly for the guys who fly behind a 912 in the cooler north country in the winter, what are your average cht and oil temps on a winter flight. For instance, if it's 20 degrees F outside, what will your temps be. Also, do you have a round cowl, or a smooth one, and does that make much of a difference in temps? Thanks, JImChuk

Shadowrider
09-27-2020, 08:45 PM
So far my experience is the kitfox is a hoody sweat-shirt airplane in the cold. If the sun is shining, makes a big difference, and I have flow down to 15f on the ground. 0F at altitude. My feet are on fire and my back and neck are cold. I made a deflector to put the heat towards my legs that helped. I am running the cabin heat kit from kitfox. Changed out the fans to higher CFM fans. Still I can see my breath when flying though. CHTs are 180f along with oil. That is with my oil cooler completely covered. My experience is I think you would benefit from sealing up the leaking cabin? I am going to try and seal off the tail area this winter and see if that helps.

jiott
09-28-2020, 10:38 AM
Here is how I sealed of the stabilizer slots in the tail area. I used nylon brush type machine way cleaners from McMaster-Carr, hysoled to the back of the tail access panels.

DesertFox4
09-28-2020, 01:23 PM
Thanks for another simple yet great solution Jim. You’ve provided many through the years. Much appreciated.👍

Shadowrider
09-28-2020, 03:47 PM
Is it a noticeable difference?

efwd
09-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Thanks Jim. I have been trying to find that very product and haven't located it because I didn't really know what it is called. I aim to do that and add a water catch that drains out a weep hole. I had rain water down in the tail while out in Phoenix the last time. I now carry Duct tape and I cover all my holes if I expect rain.

Shadowrider
09-28-2020, 07:07 PM
Jim do you recall what one you got?

https://www.mcmaster.com/cleaning-brushes/

jiott
09-28-2020, 08:57 PM
Jim do you recall what one you got?

https://www.mcmaster.com/cleaning-brushes/

I believe it was the 7900T1 Easy-Cut Strip Brushes.
I can't say it made a big difference, but it did help some and was quite easy to do. I still haven't figured out a good way to close the very irregular moving gap at the rear pivot point of the stabilizer.

bbs428
09-29-2020, 05:57 AM
Was looking for this style for my flap/rudder pedal openings as well. Timely post. Appreciate the info!