PDA

View Full Version : Foam Block at Top of Tail Question

markyharris
09-20-2020, 05:05 PM
Hi all,
I'm having to redo the top of the Tail and Rudder then re-cover those two areas. I'm doing this because it was done improperly before and I'll be repainting the plane and want it to look right. (Picture below)

Looking at the build manual, it seems to me that nothing needs to be done to the foam after its secured and shaped, except to cover it with the fabric etc.

So my question is; is there any treatment that is needed to be done to the foam before covering it with fabric? i.e. painting, sealing, superfil ect?

Any insights would be appreciated. - Mark

DesertFox4
09-20-2020, 05:31 PM
Mark, some folks use balsa wood on their Kitfox in those areas and horizontal stabilizer and elevator ends. Easy to shape. Foam is kind of soft and susceptible to damage. Some do coat the foam with SuperFil and sand to shape for same reason.
For the flapperon ends I went with the pre-shaped plastic insert ends.

Delta Whisky
09-20-2020, 06:51 PM
Ditto what DF4 said. Balsa (to me anyway) is easier to shape because it is a tad tougher/harder. Form is way too easy to make a last - ah shucks, too much off - cut and it withstands the heat of the iron better.

jiott
09-20-2020, 07:09 PM
I also used balsa, but if you choose to use the foam, I have heard that others gave it a good final coating of Hysol epoxy well pressed into the foam pores and got good results. I would certainly not leave the soft foam bare.

markyharris
09-20-2020, 07:27 PM
Thank you all for the info. I suspected as much.
I'm assuming a layer of fiberglass would achieve the same result? That was my plan. - Mark

mattkalin
09-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Mark, some folks use balsa wood on their Kitfox in those areas and horizontal stabilizer and elevator ends. Easy to shape. Foam is kind of soft and susceptible to damage. Some do coat the foam with SuperFil and sand to shape for same reason.
For the flapperon ends I went with the pre-shaped plastic insert ends.

Where did you obtain the preshaped Plastic Flapperon ends?

DesertFox4
09-21-2020, 12:33 PM
Pretty sure from Kitfox Aircraft.

efwd
09-21-2020, 03:16 PM
I made my flapperon ends with Balsa. I was so proud of the outcome but I would just buy the tips from Kitfox. They are in the catalog on their website. My tips are starting to show hangar rash that Im certain the plastic ones won't show unless of course you break them.

PapuaPilot
09-21-2020, 09:08 PM
Where did you obtain the preshaped Plastic Flapperon ends?

Yes, from the Kitfox factory.

JayHenry
09-29-2020, 02:17 PM
I used the foam with a coat of Hysol then finished off with Super Fill. The Foam cuts and sands like butter but the Hysol makes it very strong and very easy to get the super fill smooth.
Hi all,
I'm having to redo the top of the Tail and Rudder then re-cover those two areas. I'm doing this because it was done improperly before and I'll be repainting the plane and want it to look right. (Picture below)

Looking at the build manual, it seems to me that nothing needs to be done to the foam after its secured and shaped, except to cover it with the fabric etc.

So my question is; is there any treatment that is needed to be done to the foam before covering it with fabric? i.e. painting, sealing, superfil ect?

Any insights would be appreciated. - Mark