PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing grease

jeffbock
09-06-2020, 03:42 PM
Is there a recommended grease for the wheel bearings. Have been using a good grade "marine" type grease and now wondering....
Pushing 500 hours on my model 7, I finished in 2013 and loving it. Jeff

desertdave
09-06-2020, 04:42 PM
From Grove:

5.4.16 Grovewheelsareshippedwithonlyalightcoatingofwheel bearing grease. You must re-pack the bearings using MIL-G- 81322 grease such as Aeroshell 22, Mobil 28, or equivalent.

I just bought a tube of Aeroshell 22 from CPS to do my wheel bearings this coming week.

PapuaPilot
09-07-2020, 12:59 PM
I started using marine trailer axle grease a couple years ago instead of Aeroshell and I love the stuff. We also use it where I work on C-206 planes.

Dave S
09-07-2020, 02:30 PM
Using Marine trailer bearing grease on the mains for our S7 - always looks like new when the wheels are opened up for maintenance. Nosegear is sealed so maintenance free and so far has held up just fine.

Frankly, I think it would be difficult to find a wheel bearing grease that would not work on a kitfox; although I have never been a fan of the old school fibrous greases due to the excessive viscosity and unnecessary rolling resistance especially when cold- probably that stuff is (thankfully) pretty hard to find anyway.