PDA

View Full Version : Radio License

Frontier Fox
08-25-2020, 07:24 PM
Hey fellow pilots

I am fairly new into aviation, got my license in May. I’m just about ready to call the DAR for an airworthiness inspection.
Question is do I need to have an FCC radio license? Have never heard it mentioned on the forum or when I was studying for my PPL.

Joe

PapuaPilot
08-25-2020, 07:35 PM
No, you don't need a FCC license unless you fly outside of the US. Here is an article at AOPA.

https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel/aircraft-radio-station-licenses-and-pilot-radio-operator-certificates

Frontier Fox
08-26-2020, 06:21 AM
Alright then. Thank you for the clarification Phil. One less hoop to jump through, unless I plan a trip to Canada.

Victory_Overland
08-26-2020, 10:23 AM
Easy application if you are a rated pilot and shows up in the mail in a few weeks after online application.

jrevens
08-26-2020, 05:56 PM
It is a big waste of money if you don't need it... $170 last time I checked. It is also only valid for a certain number of years (I don't recall exactly how long), then you have to renew it again for another fee. I know pilots who have traveled many times through Canada and have never been asked to present it, FWIW. I believe that eliminating this ridiculous requirement has been proposed, but nothing has resulted so far... in fact the fee has increased in recent years from what it was.