PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox IV Classic 1200 Rear Spar Carry-Through-Tube

klamberth27
08-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Just purchased a used kit that was purchased in 1997. The previous builder has done some work and parts of the manual are missing. I purchased a new manual from Kitfox on USB drive that has not arrived yet, but was wondering if this group could help answer this question. Should this aluminum tab be riveted directly to the Rear Spar Carry-Through Tube on the Kitfox model IV? Thanks in Advance!

109JB
08-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Yes, that is how the manual says to do it. 15 pop rivets should attach that to the cross tube. They have rivets drilled into the tube structure all over the airplane. I personally don't like it and during my Kitfox IV Speedster rebuild I plan to do away with a bunch of them. This one I may leave since the rivets are inside the cabin and not in a location prone to moisture. The ones that get me are the ones in the firewall that are drilled right into the cross tube at the firewall station. there are a few more that the builder put in my airplane but they will get the tubes checked, sealed and holes welded shut.

klamberth27
08-11-2020, 01:07 PM
Thank you for responding so quickly! I feel better and that is good to know! I really don't like it either, but glad to know that is what is specified in the manual. Good luck with your build and thanks again!

napierm
03-16-2021, 02:50 AM
Yes, that is how the manual says to do it. 15 pop rivets should attach that to the cross tube. They have rivets drilled into the tube structure all over the airplane. I personally don't like it and during my Kitfox IV Speedster rebuild I plan to do away with a bunch of them. This one I may leave since the rivets are inside the cabin and not in a location prone to moisture. The ones that get me are the ones in the firewall that are drilled right into the cross tube at the firewall station. there are a few more that the builder put in my airplane but they will get the tubes checked, sealed and holes welded shut.

How will you attach the fire wall? How about the section under the fuselage? The window attachment to the door frames?

I haven't drilled any holes yet.

109JB
03-16-2021, 07:12 PM
Door frames are aluminum, so not worried about those and corrosion. For the firewall I welded tabs to the tubes after welding all those holes shut.