PDA

View Full Version : Is this going to require replacing the spar?

DanW
07-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Hi All,

I probably know the answer but I am very new to Kitfox.

I am looking to buy this Kitfox III project but have some concerns about the wing.

The front spar has a couple of dents and I want opinions on if this would need replacing or if it could keep flying as is?

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Also is the front spar hard to replace if it needed to be?

Dent #1

Dent #2

Thank you!

Dan

avidflyer
07-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Don't think I would fly it. Another thing which you may not see is the diagonal braces in the wing could be compressed or pulled loose/broke from the hits on the front of the wing. One thing about it, is the front spar will be a lot easier to replace then the rear one. The ribs are just glued to the back of the front spar. JImChuk

Looking at the wing dents again, I'm wondering if the wife objected to the mistress and took a baseball bat to her. If that's the case, maybe the diagonal braces are ok.

jiott
07-14-2020, 08:15 PM
I agree, I wouldn't fly it. That dent is very close to the highest stressed area of the spar-near the lift strut attachment.

Dusty
07-14-2020, 11:47 PM
Is it just a perspective of the camera or do the ribs not have a cap strip ?
BTW I wouldn't fl it with those dents.

109JB
07-15-2020, 05:04 AM
Is it just a perspective of the camera or do the ribs not have a cap strip ?
BTW I wouldn't fl it with those dents.

Those are the short leading edge ribs between the main ribs. I can see one of the main ribs in the pictures and it does have a cap strip.

896tr
07-15-2020, 08:57 AM
To me it looks like the person folding or un-folding the wing lost their grip and it hit a fence post.
(and how do I know that?)
With fuel in the tank it would be heavy. Also, are the ribs without caps false ribs? It has been over
3 years since I sold my six and I thought there were false ribs between the main ribs, however, I have
been incorrect ONCE many years ago:rolleyes:.

DanW
07-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded!

I really appreciate your feedback!

Thanks Again
Dan