PDA

View Full Version : Series 6 vs 7. Differences? Pros and cons? Suggested mods / updates?

jeffro18
07-07-2020, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I am new here and also a new owner of a kit fox six.

The plane is not complete yet but.

But while I finish it up, I’m wondering if there are any modifications / updates that I can do to it to make it better?

Thanks for suggestions,

Jeff

DesertFox4
07-07-2020, 07:31 AM
The larger elevator is a useful upgrade. Gives more authority on landing flairs.
Congrats on acquiring a model six. The six is a great version and not that many were produced.
Also, welcome to TeamKitfox.com. I’m sure some Six owners will have input on some useful upgrades for you.

michaega
07-07-2020, 01:19 PM
I kind of got a mutt Kitfox I built.
No not a 6!
No not a 7!
No not a 7SS!
It is just called a Kitfox SPORT! Not many kits produced.

jeffro18
07-08-2020, 08:11 AM
Hi,

Thanks for those that have replied to my inquiry about the differences between the 6 and 7SS.

Can anybody else add to what are the specific details about the differences of the 6 and 7 models.

I would really like to start working on some of these upgrades and mods.

Thanks again for your help,

Jeff

PapuaPilot
07-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Here is a link to the Kitfox model history. This might answer a lot of your questions.

http://kitfox.lazair.com/skystar/Aircraft_History.htm

desertdave
07-08-2020, 10:50 AM
The biggest difference I see is the engine position. The 7 comes out further from the firewall. Translation, you get more payload carrying ability in the cargo bay. W&B wise I get 85-90 pounds in my Series 6 and I believe Series 7 owners can carry more weight and stay in CG. As for how much I don’t have a number. Speed is the same as is performance based on my flying around with Desertfox4 and his Series 7.

jeffro18
07-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Hi Desert Dave and PapauPilot,

Thanks for the response to my inquiry.

Jeff

desertdave
07-08-2020, 07:15 PM
I should add that I love my 6 and wouldn’t trade it for anything!

Lawdog
07-09-2020, 07:30 AM

Kitfox Sport, before and after

Lawdog
07-09-2020, 10:05 AM

photo from way before, when Skystar was showing her off

Birdseyeview
07-11-2020, 02:46 AM
My series 6 didn't have a razorback tube installed and I added one about 3 inches high at the forward edge of the vertical stabilizer tapering down to nothing near the aft edge of the turtle deck. I think this was a nice astetic improvement on the series 7 and it makes it much easier to lay the fabric in that compound curved area just forward of the vertical stabilizer and minimize a bunch of fabric wrinkles. There are a number of threads on the forum that describe what others have done. The picture below shows the 1/2" diameter chrome moly tube I added. Although it's a personal thing on wether you like the looks or not, it helped a lot when covering with fabric. A few other things to consider as series 7 upgrades: If your kit came with a plastic header tank like mine did throw it away and get an aluminum one from Kitfox. Almost everyone has leakage problems eventually with the plastic tank. Also consider the elevator spring assist kit which neutralizes back pressure on the stick. Kitfox also sells new lower force springs for the carburetor throttle return which neutralizes throttle creep. If you don't have an oil cooler and thermostat you might consider adding them. Kitfox sells both. Add voltage spike diodes to the master and starter solenoids.

jeffro18
07-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing about your kitfox razorback mod

jeffro18
07-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Hello,

Does anybody have info on the s7 fwf modification process for a series 6?

Basically, I would like to start this build completion process with the best results in mind for the end product.

Does the FWF extension of the s7 increase cargo load capacity?

Besides the extra space for installation of an engine and its components, what are the other additional benefits of doing this?

Thanks,

Jeff

desertdave
07-24-2020, 01:06 PM
Call the Kitfox factory and they can give you a list AND sell you all the parts you would need including the engine mounts, cowling, etc, etc, etc.
As for benefits see my post at the beginning of this thread.