PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Kitfox5 with 125HP Franklin engine

KenLee777
06-22-2020, 11:45 AM
I am curious to know if there are any Kitfoxes currently flying with the Franklin engine? I have no experience with those engines. I Currently have a Kitfox 3 with Rotax 912, a Baby Ace with Continental A65 and I know the M14P engine well having operated a Yak52 for 8 years.

I ask because I’m very interested in purchasing and completing a beautiful Kitfox 5 that has a new (never been run) 125 HP Franklin engine. I’m trying find out what I can from the Franklin factory, but the experience of all the people on this forum is invaluable. Any information would be appreciated. Weight and balance concerns for example? The airplane in question is a taildragger configuration. That’s all I know so far. Not sure if it’s a safari, Speedster, Voyager or Outback. I need to find that out. How can I tell? Thank you in advance.

binder
06-23-2020, 01:59 PM
I have no experience with the kitfox although I know the A&P at our field complains about sourcing parts for Franklin engines. He does a lot of older builds and restorations. I'm not sure if that will be an issue with an experimental since there is room for aftermarket parts but with an older engine I'm not sure what the aftermarket would be on them.

So I'd check for info on obtaining parts and things. Other than parts availability I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be a good performer.

avidflyer
06-23-2020, 03:23 PM
Wasn't there a guy in South Africa running a Franklin engine in his Kitfox? I don't remember the model he had other then 5 or newer. JImChuk

Rodney
06-23-2020, 04:07 PM
Might contact: Southern Aero Engines - Thomasville, NC 336-476-9094

Years ago I found my Dad's 1946 Stinson 108 in a barn in Arkansas. It had the 150 hp Franklin engine. Unfortunately, even though I have the airplane, it was so badly damaged it's not worth rebuilding. I did speak with these guys one time and they seemed pretty positive that the engine could be saved.

Hope that might help - let us know what you find out.

Regards
Rodney

KenLee777
06-24-2020, 08:35 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. The Franklin engines appear to be solid. I did find a company in Texas that provides support and parts. Www.franklinparts.com
A gentleman at the company Www.franklinengines.com was also quite helpful.

I have decided on another project due to logistics. The Franklin engine did not Negatively affect my decision. I was quite interested in exploring that engine.

rv9ralph
06-24-2020, 06:51 PM
Franklin engines are still available (Franklin Aerospace) but they can be heavy at 207 lbs for the 4 cylinder (according to Kitplanes engine guide). They are dependable and well respected.

Ralph