PDA

View Full Version : Starfox Update

SomeDay7
06-18-2020, 11:08 PM
Finally after all these years and calling myself SomeDay7. I have Arrived home with my Kit. Kitfox workers were the best at what they do. Helped me load up my kit and going over some of the many questions I had about the build. Also spent a few hours at Stick and Rudder flying a bit. Pauls new STI is incredible and i got a good comparison flying it after flying the others he has.

Now just have to decompress from the long drive, get unloaded and start the inventory. Jim

DesertFox4
06-19-2020, 01:27 AM
Congratulations Jim.😀😀 Someday is here finally. Enjoy your build. Glad you got to fly the STi with Paul.

mattkalin
06-19-2020, 07:03 AM
Congratulations! I am hoping to get my kit very soon as well. I look forward to watching you create your dream!

chase snook
06-19-2020, 09:08 PM
Congrats! Looking forward to watching your build!:cool:

SomeDay7
06-19-2020, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Try to get something up tomorrow. My Cobra buddy is coming over to help unload. Another kit build and he seems as excited as me.

Here is a link of us cruising together. Jim

https://gopro.com/v/EDpvyQWp9W910

Shadowrider
06-20-2020, 07:46 AM
Nice! Welcome to the club! Curious what planes are stick and rudder using now? What where the likes and dislikes you saw? What engines are they running?

SomeDay7
06-20-2020, 08:03 AM
Two Super Sports. One with a 912is and Constant speed prop. A 914 with fixed prop. Paul has a STI with 915, MT prop. Just about 50 some hours on that one. STI felt heavier, more stable less twitchy. Sounds like it would deal with turbulence better. Of course the landing gear fixed my mistakes.....

Kitfox Pilot
06-21-2020, 06:50 AM
Congratulations! Look forward to your build.

bbs428
06-21-2020, 09:56 AM
Very excited for you! All the best and enjoy the build. :D

SomeDay7
06-25-2020, 11:00 PM
Unloaded my kit with my cobra buddy on Saturday. We proceeded to enjoy the afternoon with a cruise. Always a blast. Took a few pics.
Monday had a forum member over I had invited. We proceeded to inventory the complete kit in about 5 and a half hours. That including lunch and a few shots for good measure. Process was easy and everything was color coded and went back in the original boxes the came in. Used this method for the cobra build and parts were easy to find. Took apart my wing rack for the trailer last night and am getting ready to build a rotisserie for the wings and storage rack too.

SomeDay7
07-02-2020, 04:38 PM
Wings are now ready to start building. Been working on rotisseries, storage cradle and adding some carpet to some old saw horses. Now I can shift the wings from the horses and then back to the rotisserie without any help as I made them all the same height.
Also picked up a few things I didn’t add to my list while at the factory. SuperFill, epoxy primer for the spars, MEK, alcohol, and acetone. Went to several hardware stores and they all have them but rather expensive. Wilco did have real MEK. Then I went over to SpencerAircraft at Pierce County Thun (Home Airport) for epoxy primer and they have all the real stuff at far better prices. Hope to get after the wing building this holiday weekend. Would like to have them ready to get the butt ribs mounted while the weather is dry as I have to do it outside.

DesertFox4
07-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Off to a good start Jim. Also, sweet Cobras in your previous post. I’ve never driven one but look like fun on a sunny day.

SomeDay7
07-02-2020, 05:41 PM
So much fun. Wish I was flying though. Get there soon enough. I know we talked about our kids and here is an update on them just for the 4th with a couple of videos they sent me recently. F16 oldest, youngest F35. Night training mission with a student (F16) and unrestricted climb to 20 thousand (F35). https://youtu.be/ss6zPgmwkig https://youtu.be/2H4-ZazD0rU https://youtu.be/UzoEt5FlR30

AMERICA 🇺🇸

DesertFox4
07-02-2020, 09:28 PM
That's the good stuff Jim!:cool: Tell em both Thank You.🇺🇸

Nice shop floor. Wishing for more shop pics and a quick ride in the Cobra by way of GoPro.

SomeDay7
07-03-2020, 08:23 AM
These things keep cropping up. Shoot. Was planning on building today but have to do fence repair and horse mending.
https://youtu.be/QpxmxwttYpY

SomeDay7
07-03-2020, 10:36 AM
DesertFox4 here is a goprovideo of the cars.
https://gopro.com/v/gvezXa3ewWZbV
Already got the horses and fence fixed up. Jim

DesertFox4
07-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the cruise Jim.😀

Hope the horse is OK. Might need to sit them down and have a talk about “boundaries”.

efwd
07-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Man, I was thinking the same. Im glad it got up and trotted off. The wrong way, I might add. So Close. The other one was certainly asking "hey, WTH happened? You were right behind me!" At least that is what it appeared to be doing as it looked back into the pen at the "prisoner".
Jim, be sure to let me know if you come to the Factory Five event in September. Ill certainly allow you some time in my "Midlife Crisis" . We can fly right over the event location. How does a guy use Copyrighted material (music) in a video? I can't stand the stuff that is provided in the editing program for my Garmin camera.

SomeDay7
07-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Still up in the air about September. GoPro videos get shut down on facebook or the large public places too. A forum like this they seem to go through. You're right. I have a hard time picking music that is available. Another one.
https://gopro.com/v/JbMwqazOQpa2K

SomeDay7
07-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Finally got something done. Spar reinforcement fittings are done. Going out of order in the manual but it will all come together when I can get these wings on the fuselage and get the #1 ribs, butt ribs and tanks mounted, so I won’t have to be outside any longer after that. A reminder came through as to why this important to me. Pouring down rain on July 7th. Got to get the rest of these parts on soon.

SomeDay7
07-21-2020, 11:31 AM
Looked at Factory Five update today and this is what I got. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=31115889002450 (https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=311158890024509) Kind of like my life right now. Eddie looks like Dave Smith says the Huntington beach cruise in will be next April. On my build, I am still pecking at it barely. Did order up some double ended #30 drill bits that I had used for rivet holes on the cobra. I think there were about 1200 rivets. McMaster Carr has a large selection of these. They are stubby and drill a quick accurate hole. I have been installing brackets on the spars as of late and that has been about it. I just need to get these mounted to the fuselage in the driveway and get the #1 ribs, butt ribs, fuel tanks mounted before the cool season sets in. Still doable but delayed. On the plus side. I have got that promotion down at work I have wanted for the last 15 yrs. So it looks like I will be driving the cobra down to advanced flight systems next week to get some of the components for the wing build part and get and advanced panel started. On the delay side of things. About 2 months ago my mom 84yrs was diagnosed with a form or cancer that will end her life in about 6 months so I just need to be there for her. Wow, it takes up most of my time but worth it. Make you really appreciate what you have left and get after it even more.

DesertFox4
07-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Jim, sorry to hear about your mom’s diagnosis. Spend as much time with her as possible.
Congrats on the promotion. Sounds like your plate is very full right now. Life does get complicated from time to time. Hang in there.
Prayers for your mom.🙏❤️

Kitfox Pilot
07-21-2020, 03:52 PM
About 2 months ago my mom 84yrs was diagnosed with a form or cancer that will end her life in about 6 months so I just need to be there for her. Wow, it takes up most of my time but worth it. Make you really appreciate what you have left and get after it even more.

Glad you got a promotion you've been wanting. Sorry to hear about your mother, I've been through this with my father already. She is the important thing right now, Life is short no matter what age we are.
Harlan

efwd
07-21-2020, 08:05 PM
So sorry to hear. Prayers to you and yours. Congrats on the promotion! Airplane will be there when your through the storm.

SomeDay7
07-21-2020, 11:14 PM
Thanks you guys! Just feel stalled out right now but I know things will get going again.

SomeDay7
07-24-2020, 10:03 AM
These brackets are now on and I can concentrate on getting the other parts ready to go on out in the driveway for a few days. Hope the weather holds out for a few weeks.

Kitfox Pilot
07-24-2020, 11:27 AM
These brackets are now on and I can concentrate on getting the other parts ready to go on out in the driveway for a few days. Hope the weather holds out for a few weeks.
Did you mount the wings before attaching those? With the quick build wings I'd think they are marked in the right place. I just started on my wings last night and am about ready to start on those also.

SomeDay7
07-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Factory had them marked and ready to mount with the quick build wing and pre- rigging option. Will need to recheck the wing sweep, dihedral and twist after the #1 rib is all in place.

bbs428
07-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Wow. That quick build wing and pre- rigging option saved a lot of time. I remember some nail biting moments tweaking everything to get it dialed in. ;)

efwd
07-24-2020, 07:55 PM
yeah me too. stressed me out for the longest time when people brought this subject up. I guess since Ive been flying for 200 hours now I know I did it right. My heart didn't skip when this subject came up this time. ;)

Shadowrider
07-25-2020, 06:36 AM
Quick build and pre-rigged option for the win! I liked setting all these rivets. I often think of those rivets when I am flying hitting the bumps.....hold strong little rivets!

SomeDay7
07-25-2020, 02:10 PM
Just getting organized and trimmed the middle a bit like the factory does. These lift struts are going to save lots of time!

Kitfox Pilot
07-25-2020, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=SomeDay7;9319 These lift struts are going to save lots of time![/QUOTE]

I like those lift struts...

SomeDay7
08-11-2020, 03:33 PM
Spent time on the flaperon brackets. Installed all 20. Then got after sanding the wings followed by two coats of varnish. It was then ready to go outside for the installation of the #1 rib assemblies and the butt rib. Jury struts are all lined up too. I’m now done with the part with the wings needing to be on the fuselage.

Kitfox Pilot
08-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Looking good. I'm about the same stage on my wings also. Good to watch yours coming along.

I have more glue smeared around than you do. You sure do a good job of cleaning up when you glue pieces !

SomeDay7
08-11-2020, 09:37 PM
Harlan. I found that a silcon edge tool works great as a scraper to get the extra then just a light wipe of alcohol.

Kitfox Pilot
08-12-2020, 05:44 AM
Thanks I'll give that a try.

SomeDay7
08-12-2020, 10:03 AM
A caulk tool like this

Eric Page
08-16-2020, 10:38 AM
Here's another option. I found this in a home center some years ago. It has a rounded silicone tip that makes beautiful beads in caulk. It's stiff enough that I'm sure it would work for Hysol. Might be a little big for tight spots, but it'll work in most locations. Look for them near caulks, sealants and adhesives.

SomeDay7
08-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Yes needs to be small enough to fit in between and I use the square corner mostly to get the excess hysol and the pop cycle stick for the rounding.

jiott
08-16-2020, 07:13 PM
What's wrong with a thumb or forefinger? Nice and rounded, gets into small places, easy cleanup with alcohol.

SomeDay7
08-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Jim, you’re right nothing wrong with that method. It all gets covered eventually. Just maybe personal satisfaction as we have to look at the plane in this state for quite a long time till it’s covered. Spent a lot of time trying to keep the cobra clean and now it’s all covered.

SomeDay7
10-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Wing is starting to get filled out. Just some varnish and epoxy primer and I will be on to the laker leading edge. Installing the trailing edge stiffeners also soon.

SomeDay7
10-19-2020, 08:42 PM
Today I moved inside my heated room. One wing at a time. It’s supposed to get cold later this week and I will be ready for it. The spars are now protected with epoxy primer and on to the laker leading edge and wing wiring and flaperons. Security light went by the wayside. Ran for more than 15 years. A new LED replaced it and it is like daylight at midnight. I think when summer rolls around again we will have some pickle ball matches all hours of the night

Kitfox Pilot
10-20-2020, 06:16 AM
Looking good on the wings, how are you liking the new position at work?

SomeDay7
10-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Harlan, Not really a new position at work but an upgrade in status. All the advanced equipment I get to drive is now more available to run more often. I hope I like flying the kitfox as much as I like running the big stuff. Thought I would have the wings done by now but life gets in the way sometimes. Still is fun building in a warm room. I remember working on the cobra all hours of the night and expect to do the same on the kitfox build. Keep up the good work. Great to see your build.

SomeDay7
11-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Peeled the tape off my first try at the leading edge. Some super fill needed where the clecoes were used. The parting lines between the panels need some too. I think the fuel cap area turned out good. Spent a good amount of time sanding the inside where the ribs met the fiberglass as the inside was raises in areas where the glass stuck up. Next one should go way faster. Got to drive the cobra yesterday in great fall weather. Also here is a pic yesterday from a post off of Facebook. Someone flying over Seattle noting the fall colors in the area.
he

SomeDay7
11-06-2020, 11:20 AM
Worked on the wing tips for about 6 hours yesterday. Light boxes installed and edges solid now. Seems to align well with wing.

Kitfox Pilot
11-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Between the wing tips and the wings, you have used a lot of glue! Looks good. The wing tip lights are going to look good.

SomeDay7
11-06-2020, 06:00 PM
Yes I did. Edge was separated in places and raised so I made it uniform.

SomeDay7
11-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Advanced Flight Systems notified me they are ready to start on my advanced panel. Just some of my own ideas. Of course switches will need to be added along with other controls

SomeDay7
12-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Wired wing tips yesterday. Panel build is still underway. Wire in the USB today and then may start on the wing covering soon.

SomeDay7
12-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Need to take this apart now and start covering. Talked with John McBean yesterday and decided to get the firewall forward package ordered with the carbon fiber option. Quite a long time to get the finished product. Next order will surely be the engine and prop in February.

DesertFox4
12-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Very nice looking work Jim. Those wings look great. Good luck on covering. You're going to enjoy flying your Kitfox. Worth all of the work and investment.

Kitfox Pilot
12-12-2020, 06:47 AM
Talked with John McBean yesterday and decided to get the firewall forward package ordered with the carbon fiber option. Quite a long time to get the finished product. Next order will surely be the engine and prop in February.[/QUOTE]

I ordered my FF kit a week of so ago and July was what I was told. Should have ordered it with the kit I guess.

SomeDay7
12-12-2020, 10:11 AM
Harlan, you will need yours soon as you are going fast. I’m looking at fall or winter time finish now with all I have to do on the side. Getting it this summer will be perfect for me. Plan on doing all the painting in July and August.
DesertFox4, How many hours do you have on yours now? Can’t wait to be flying and come down that way. Going to cover with some of those tips from Brian Bowen on his Project Kitfox videos.

DesertFox4
12-12-2020, 07:27 PM
Jim, I have about 81 hours on mine now.

SomeDay7
12-15-2020, 02:33 PM
Spent the better part of the night I had off studying the poly fiber manual. Lots to absorb and there are so many variations out there to do the same attaching. Especially the bottom. I think I still like Brian’s method the best to go with.

Also a surprise visit for one of my fighter pilots sons. Spur of the moment stop at the local airport. Just passing through overnight stay with mom and dad. Of course mom made his favorite meal. We got to hear some fighter stories. Like his buddy from the academy showed up with his F22 and he partnered up with him in his 35 and whacked everybody in some air to air competition. Of course dad asked to many questions that he can’t answer. Did get a early Christmas present of some 35 bling though. Very proud dad here. And got to see the latest F35 helmet as him and his buddies were on their way down to pick up several new ones.

bbs428
12-15-2020, 05:05 PM
Spent the better part of the night I had off studying the poly fiber manual. Lots to absorb and there are so many variations out there to do the same attaching. Especially the bottom. I think I still like Brian’s method the best to go with.

Also a surprise visit for one of my fighter pilots sons. Spur of the moment stop at the local airport. Just passing through overnight stay with mom and dad. Of course mom made his favorite meal. We got to hear some fighter stories. Like his buddy from the academy showed up with his F22 and he partnered up with him in his 35 and whacked everybody in some air to air competition. Of course dad asked to many questions that he can’t answer. Did get a early Christmas present of some 35 bling though. Very proud dad here. And got to see the latest F35 helmet as him and his buddies were on their way down to pick up several new ones.
Once you get going it's a piece of cake.

Now that is some cool beans. Very nice 35 bling! More than one top bronc in one family? Good on ya Dad! Looks like you all have the right stuff. So glad you guys got to see him. Time has a way of slipping by...
Going to see my nephew when he comes home on leave next week. He's USAF enlisted. Good kid. :D

SomeDay7
12-16-2020, 01:36 PM
Brett, They sure do appreciate the time you give them. Update on their flight. Dad we will be passing over McCord AFB between 11 and 3 in a 4 ship of F35s. Now Mom can't stop looking outside. Ha. Guess the most important thing I will use on the covering is the double brushing of poly tac and poly brush. Letting it dry and melting it into the fabric with a thinned coat using Mek. Timed with doing this in the right locations of the wing while heat shrinking to 250.

SomeDay7
12-16-2020, 06:19 PM
Guess it was a five ship. Pics from the tanker. Exciting times for us so close to home.

DesertFox4
12-16-2020, 08:08 PM
Jim, Tell your son his dedication, talents and commitment to serve are deeply appreciated. Only the very creamiest of the crop are entrusted with equipment with an F-35’s capabilities. You must be proud to the tenth power. Very cool photos. 😎

SomeDay7
12-16-2020, 10:05 PM
Steve. Absolutely

Delta Whisky
12-16-2020, 10:13 PM
I can only imagine how it must feel for mom and dad to host airborne warriors in their home - for dinner and the stories. Thanks for sharing.

Shadowrider
12-17-2020, 10:49 AM
Awesome! Some serious dollars in the air together! And I know that helmet is not cheap. Cool stuff!

SomeDay7
12-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Yes. My kid was saying 400 thousand for that helmet. Looked it up today on the internet. Guess you could buy four kitfoxes well decked out for the cost of that helmet!

SomeDay7
12-23-2020, 12:52 PM
Easy enough. Picked up an iron off the poly fiber website. Stays adjusted and is easy to use. 20% off for the holidays too. Used a regular iron for about half an hour and the auto shutoff didn’t help hold the temperature well.on to the other side now.

Kitfox Pilot
12-23-2020, 04:23 PM
Looking good!

SomeDay7
01-01-2021, 08:28 PM
Covering is now on the left wing. Metal trim for the wing tip is installed too. Gave it all a good bath of MEK and am now ready for the first coat of poly brush. Rib stitching will follow soon.

SomeDay7
01-05-2021, 05:58 PM
First coat of poly brush on and now ready to rib stitch. Marked off the ends and holes for the reinforcing tape.
Put my order in for a power plant too. Planning to pick up the firewall forward package and engine about June.

jiott
01-05-2021, 07:28 PM
A tip to avoid having to draw all those lines for rib stitch spacing; use a thin, flexible strip (about 1" wide) of fiberglass, like what you trimmed off the wingtips, to mark your stitch spacing. Always line up this strip with the trailing edge; much easier. Also very handy for tweaking the spacing to avoid underlying structure; just move it from rib to rib and check structure interference, slightly readjust your marks until one spacing plan works on all ribs. You will need a separate strip for top and bottom.

SomeDay7
01-06-2021, 06:35 AM
Thanks Jim. Did exactly that with a piece of tape doubled and marked. Then an extra piece to make it non stick after I got the marks aligned the way I wanted them. I moved this tape from rib to rib with it completely wrapped around the wing aligned back to front. Thought about using this to mark the actual holes but with the flaperon brackets in every.other bay and not figuring the front and back ending of the reinforcing tape. So I went with snapped chalk lines to help site down the wing and keep everything straight in my head. As in the poly fiber manual: the chalk lines disappear into the poly brush so not an issue. I think I spend 3/4s of the time thinking about what could be wrong and a forth of the time actually building. I have not done the single capstrip ties on the two bottom knot locations under the laker leading edge. Have a circle needle to use but have some other ideas too.

bbs428
01-06-2021, 07:18 AM
"I think I spend 3/4s of the time thinking about what could be wrong and a forth of the time actually building."

So true.

Some things come easier, other stuff, not so much. A lot of new skill sets here and the potential for missing a crucial step or nugget of info is high.

They say your mistakes make you smarter and train you to do a better job the next time around and the pain you feel is weakness leaving the body, I find that it's mostly aggravating causing bad language to be used frequently. Tbh - I do not feel any smarter... :o

Keep your eyes on the prize.

Shadowrider
01-09-2021, 09:09 PM
Looking good! What engine did you buy?

SomeDay7
01-10-2021, 08:27 AM
Thanks Dustin. Your planes are awesome. Did you get any coyotes? Thinking about how easy that oratex would have been while doing all this rib stitching. Kinda fun though. Any weight in the tail in your planes? I’m going to need it as I’m going with an anniversary 915 and a MT prop.

Shadowrider
01-14-2021, 04:09 PM
Chased 3 but they all got away. Its harder to track them with little to no snow.

I did not have to add any weight to the tail. I did all remote mount radios so that helped. When I am at max weight, full fuel, two 175 passengers and 150 cargo, I am right at my aft CG. We went fixed pitch prop so that saved a lot of weight. Have you put your order in for your 915?

SomeDay7
01-14-2021, 05:35 PM
Yes. Ordered it up when Brandon said prices were going up. Hope to pick up the engine with the firewall forward package about June. Just about done with the finishing tapes on my wing. June and July will be paint time and I hope to get it all complete by late fall if I don't get any more on my plate.

SomeDay7
01-23-2021, 05:45 PM
Time to move this wing out of the heated room and bring in the other. Ironing the pinked edges of the finishing tapes seemed to take forever. It’s ready for spraying when the weather turns warm. Looks like my panel is being worked on and the engine is paid for. Just have to get the other wing to this stage and I’ll start working on the fuselage. Other wing is 75% done and I now have a better idea of what to do so it should go quickly.

SomeDay7
02-21-2021, 05:09 PM
Just as I thought. Delays happen. This is supposed to be fun. Have been working on the wing occasionally. 60-70 hours per week at work. And my moms care went to another level. Got her in assisted living. Hard to find a place now with COVID-19. I did and it is not in total lockdown like most are. That meant a lot. Now am up to my neck in the sale and cleanup of her house so just more time away. Wing is about ready to cover. Just have to get the flaperon brackets mounted and be ready for cover. Did have an issue with the laker leading edge. Glued and taped it and came back to one of the seams under the tape pulled away and not to my liking so had to do a patch. Had to call advanced flight for more info on installing the ADHRS as they sent a magnetometer for remote installation. The install in the advanced flight install manual is brief and unclear. Come to find out the advanced manual is almost a supplement to the Dynon install manual. So I installed the magnetometer in the wing along with the OAT sensor running from it. Mount for it has no metal on it. Magnetometer slides in tightly in the bracket I made. Both are accessible through the access hole in the bottom of the wing and removable by just 5 zip ties. Finally a day and night off so I am going to work tonight to start the fabric.

Kitfox Pilot
02-22-2021, 11:14 AM
The plane is not important when you are dealing with those other issues. Your build is looking good.

SomeDay7
03-10-2021, 10:01 AM
Finally getting after the right wing covering. Just need a 350 degree tightening, MEK bath and then on to rib lacing. Got to talk with John McBean about ordering a prop and some of the parts needed for the control of the constant speed prop and single lever controller. Hope to get that ordered soon. Sounds like it may take a few months to get in.

SomeDay7
03-12-2021, 07:44 AM
Quick peak of my engine yesterday. Anniversary 915.

Kitfox Pilot
03-12-2021, 11:21 AM
Very Nice!

I wish I'd ordered mine before their anniversary....haha

SomeDay7
03-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Harlan I see down in your header you are still undecided on engine and prop. Is there a secret message some where in your last reply?

Kitfox Pilot
03-12-2021, 05:06 PM
Haha, waiting for a big reveal on the tube. Mine came in on the same shipment yours did and is a sister to yours. Suppose to be getting a fwf kit together to send with mine less the fiberglass parts that won't come till june. Airmaster prop.

And by the way I didn't know there was an anniversary engine til you showed yours.

Av8r_Sed
03-12-2021, 08:53 PM
You tease! It's kind of like lingerie.

Kitfox Pilot
03-13-2021, 06:52 AM
Its not that good! Haha

SomeDay7
03-13-2021, 10:32 AM
Harlan, Did some looking on the single control prop. The MT prop with the hydraulic governor, electric head. You add this Automatic propeller speed control for Single Lever Power Control (SLPC), part SCU 9is and maybe the small panel to view faults that may come up and you have a one lever (throttle control) of the prop and throttle. Of course it is at a lot of extra cost. One time cost mostly as the governor has no limit on life expectancy. You could also add a dual solenoid electric head and have a reversible prop for float plane operations. That Anniversary engine has been listed on the Rotax site for some time. It just was not available til a short time ago. I wanted red for my plane. Guess I don't need to paint the valve covers now.

Eric Page
03-13-2021, 10:41 AM
You could also add a dual solenoid electric head and have a reversible prop for float plane operations.
Or STOL drag. You know someone's going to do it eventually.

Kitfox Pilot
03-13-2021, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=SomeDay7;98422]Harlan, Did some looking on the single control prop. The MT prop with the hydraulic governor, electric head. You add this Automatic propeller speed control for Single Lever Power Control (SLPC), part SCU 9is and maybe the small panel to view faults that may come up and you have a one lever (throttle control) of the prop and throttle.

Are you doing LSA?

Shadowrider
03-13-2021, 12:28 PM
What is the weight difference between the air-master and the MT?

Kitfox Pilot
03-13-2021, 12:45 PM
Airmaster shows 26lbs for the kit which is spinner and all.
Can't find the mt weight right now but I thought 39lbs for govenor and all?

SomeDay7
03-13-2021, 12:52 PM
I'm sure there is quite a big difference in weight between airmaster and MT. I'm thinking about 240 all said and done with this setup. No LSA for me. Just want it setup for ease of use. Just like my title says someday7. Waited a long while to build one of these. Might as well get what is out there and enjoy it in the few years I have left. This is about the same setup that Stick and Rudder has. Except the prop controller is remote.

SomeDay7
03-14-2021, 10:20 AM
Looked at all the specs for 915 and MT prop. Literature says 181 lbs for the 915. Then there is a few things to add. Prop weight lists between 31 and 41 lbs. adding in the extras, the weight is between 225 lbs and that 240 I guessed at. Probably heavier than I would like.

Kitfox Pilot
03-14-2021, 10:44 AM
Yes any cs prop is heaver than we like but it will be nice.

Shadowrider
03-14-2021, 06:39 PM
If going CS it seems like the Airmaster is the way to go. Weight is huge on these planes especially if its on the nose.

SomeDay7
03-14-2021, 09:45 PM
Dustin, I’m wondering what kind of weight I will need in the tail to balance the load? Been planning on getting together a tool kit to maybe locate back there.

airlina
03-15-2021, 03:04 AM
Jim , If you are planning on 240lbs between engine and prop up front , you would be similiar to the few of us with the Continental IO-240 up front which is in the 250 lb range. Requirements for us are forward swept wings and battery in the empennage and at least in mine other components aft of the seat pan. (fuel pump, ELT , strobe box , A/P servos, heavy tailwheel 3 leaf spring ) I know of some that have even had to add ballast in the tail . Bruce N199CL

Shadowrider
03-15-2021, 08:03 AM
Jim I am a little different setup, but I ran as much weight in the back to help with the added weight of the turbo and intercooler. I did remote mount, radio, transponder, and put them in the tail to help. I do not have to run any ballast. Empty my plane is at the forward CG limit. Fully loaded I am at the aft CG limit so it seemed to come out good. I have a survival bag about 15pounds that I throw in the back, it helps a little with heavy controls on landing. I don't run the trim assist spring, because I prefer heavy controls on landing, since the corporate aircraft I fly is heavy on the controls. If you are running same setup as Paul he would be the best source for CG and how you could improve on it.

Denalifox
03-15-2021, 08:17 AM
the problem with the heavy Rotax is its still hung further out from the firewall. It may only still be 230-240 lbs but is further out from the Datum. This is how guys with O-200s, 240's, and Lycs don't need a whole lot of work in the tail. The engine is much closer to the Datum. Case in point, the Factory with the Titan only required a battery in the tail. Wings remained unswept.

SomeDay7
03-16-2021, 08:06 PM
Dustin, I will have to ask Paul about his plane when I go out there to pick up my next set of parts. When I got to fly with him last June he only had 50 hours on the STI. I'm sure he has a lot to tell by now. Just now thinking about ordering a MT prop and all the parts needed for a constant speed one knob control prop. Seems price has gone up on these too. Not just on the Rotax. Wife is saying. When does it end..... I'm glad I can work lots of overtime I tell her. I wonder what the average weight of the Kitfox pilot is and how that relates to actual total weight of every one's plane. Mine will be a heavy plane but I weigh around 175. Wife should be about 125. There should be room to spare for long trips.

Shadowrider
03-16-2021, 08:36 PM
I think Paul and Kitfox went the MT prop route because its was the only option. Now air-master has an option. I have not flown either, but I think I would lean toward the Air-master because of the significant weight savings. Also it can't get much easier to use with a climb setting or cruise setting. Of course I was planning on putting a CS on after getting my plane up and flying but I have yet to see a need.

SomeDay7
03-16-2021, 09:39 PM
Total cost of airmaster prop and controls? How much weight saving can you see? Right now shipping from Germany for MT is through the roof. May look at other options but would like to be able to use the power of the 915 to its maximum

Kitfox Pilot
03-17-2021, 06:05 AM
11400 is cost on the airmaster kit. Thats prop spinner and all you need. Put it in auto on the controller and it does everything for you. Also has manual controls if you so choose to use them. 2000 hour tbo. Mt is a very good prop. Kitfox says airmaster is a very good prop.

Shadowrider
03-17-2021, 08:43 AM
Harlan do you know the total weight difference? I think I had read almost 30 pound difference between the two including blades? Also I know if you ask nicely and you can get the airmaster with the beta option, reverse pitch, which would be handy if you ever go to floats or airmaster you can go to feather mode when the spiny thing stops spinning.

SomeDay7
03-17-2021, 08:44 AM
May have to go this route. Double the cost for MT. Is there any other costs like adapters or balance master needed on this prop? How does this prop act when a failure happens? Seems there is always something hidden till you are hooked on the idea.

SomeDay7
03-17-2021, 08:54 AM
Also there are two versions of 915 engines. One for the constant speed prop and they came out with a second one for fixed pitch. Not sure of the difference?

SomeDay7
03-17-2021, 09:02 AM
Guess I found a statement about the 915 on a forum about the 915...

I have a Magni M16 Plus gyroplane with the 915 engine. Mine has a Helix (German) H50F three-blade prop, fixed pitch, 1.72m (68") diameter. Works great. Have 100 hours on this gyro now. The 915 is designed to work with a constant speed prop, has the oil pressure line and ECU software capability, but its certainly not mandatory. Magni has been putting fixed-pitch props for 915 engines on their gyroplanes for almost two years now.

Eric Page
03-17-2021, 09:50 AM
Starfox, you also might look at DUC Hélices Propellers (http://www.duc-propellers-usa.com/rubrique.php?id_rubrique=76). They’re a French company with a US dealer in Sebring, Florida. I don’t know if they have anything specifically for the 915iS, but they do have a couple of variable pitch props (FlashBlack and SwirlBlack) that can be upgraded to constant speed. I haven’t been able to find it on their website, but they claim to have an all-electric model. The two I mentioned are hybrids: hydraulic adjustment under electric control. It looks like the CS FlashBlack weighs 18.6# ($10,846) as a 3-blade and 15# ($9,293) as a 2-blade.

The Experimental Aircraft Channel posted this video last week, which is what drew my attention to the company.

https://youtu.be/iD6IhlAtAHE

Kitfox Pilot
03-17-2021, 10:51 AM
Harlan do you know the total weight difference? I think I had read almost 30 pound difference between the two including blades? Also I know if you ask nicely and you can get the airmaster with the beta option, reverse pitch, which would be handy if you ever go to floats or airmaster you can go to feather mode when the spiny thing stops spinning.

I do not. 26 lbs for the airmaster kit which is everything is all I know for sure. I'd guess 20ish more for mt governor and plumbing and all.

Kitfox Pilot
03-17-2021, 10:54 AM
May have to go this route. Double the cost for MT. Is there any other costs like adapters or balance master needed on this prop? How does this prop act when a failure happens? Seems there is always something hidden till you are hooked on the idea.

I don't know what they changed on the prop for the 915is but I have never talked to anyone who did not like their airmaster electric prop. The 2k tbo kinda sold me.

jiott
03-17-2021, 11:59 AM
I do know someone, Airfox, whose Airmaster electric motor went out at about 1000 hours. That's not bad, but its not all roses and lemonade out there.

SomeDay7
03-17-2021, 05:05 PM
Those DUC props look comparable to the Airmaster. I like watching that guys channel. Did talk with Kitfox today about the pros and cons of using their two favorite props. Each has their advantages on different engines. I know I could get a MT prop and use the manual control for it. It would be quite a bit less going this way but the 915 and a Stock prop controller is the way to go. Stock has worked several years with Rotax to develop this system. Probably should just figure it as part of the panel cost and not the propeller.

Shadowrider
03-17-2021, 05:08 PM
Why are you opposed to manual control of the prop?

SomeDay7
03-17-2021, 05:25 PM
Not opposed to it. Been done that way forever. It is just this system I am intrigued with that is available. No touch maximum torque. Ease of use all for a few thousand more. Ha

SomeDay7
03-31-2021, 11:57 AM
I can’t believe I even got this done the last couple of months have been so busy. Moved my mom into assisted living. Cleared out her house of 52 years of stuff. Sale should close on her house in a couple of weeks. Glad my wife is a trooper as she helped me haul almost everything away. Panel is also being built. Prop and controller is in delay mode as we are still not sure about shipping from Germany. Going to get this wing on the storage rack now and start on the fun part of the build.

SomeDay7
04-01-2021, 01:19 PM
Help from my wife and some cleanup. Ready to finally start on the fuselage.

Kitfox Pilot
04-01-2021, 07:54 PM
Wow I need you to come and help me clean! Looking good!

SomeDay7
04-01-2021, 08:49 PM
Well if you have not done much it’s not hard to clean up. Thanks Harlan.

SomeDay7
04-07-2021, 01:57 PM
Filled gaps around welds last two days just have to touch the filling up with some paint included in the kit. Also getting ready to ride these horses next month as they will be two. Training method I use is outstanding and here I have laid him down.

SomeDay7
04-09-2021, 03:06 PM
Reaming of tail hinge tabs and bushings were easier than I thought they would be. Now on to these ribs.

SomeDay7
04-20-2021, 07:36 AM
Prop is now ordered. Here is a sample panel layout. Still a few thing to get done but closer.

Kitfox Pilot
04-20-2021, 04:18 PM
That is going to be a good looking panel.

Eric Page
04-20-2021, 05:51 PM
It looks like you're using a Dynon intercom, radio and A/P control panel, but not a Dynon EFIS. Are you sure the SV-AP-PANEL will work in a non-Dynon system?

SomeDay7
04-20-2021, 10:00 PM
SCU is proven by Kitfox. Info flows thru it and to the efis. It is just a smaller panel that lists the faults. Same company that made the larger panel. Just compact so I can add other items that I like.

SomeDay7
04-21-2021, 07:32 AM
Eric, the whole system is Advanced flight Systems. Advanced and Dynon are the same company. Only other parts that are different are the SCU for the engine-prop combination and the Ipad on the right side of the panel.

Eric Page
04-21-2021, 07:40 AM
Eric, the whole system is Advanced flight Systems..
Aaah, OK! I didn't recognize the outline of the EFIS in that line drawing, so I wasn't sure what it was. Thanks. That's going to work nice and give you heaps of capability.

SomeDay7
04-27-2021, 12:15 PM
Tail ribs in and varnished. Took a while to decide on the end caps. Got them where I like them with fabric pulled over them

SomeDay7
04-28-2021, 10:12 AM
Just another hobby interfering with my build. Starting two colts. Here is a de-spooking clinic last Sunday. Start riding them next month. Just have to keep up on the build at night I guess.

Pushboy
04-28-2021, 02:41 PM
You have anymore photos or info on how you did those end caps? They look very well done with minimal superfil.

Dave.

SomeDay7
04-29-2021, 01:38 PM
Didn’t take to many of the making of the tips. Did use the rib closest to the tip for a pattern before I glued it in. Used a router to get the part to conform around the tube. Then cut it with a band saw and finished with a lot of sanding.

Pushboy
04-30-2021, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the extra photos -- those are great! From that and the description I can envision what you did.

They look awesome, seems a shame to cover them up -- but under the fabric you'll know they look great!

D.

SomeDay7
05-04-2021, 06:54 PM
This is probably the layout I will use. Not enough room for the vents. The vents will be below the panel. Any advice is welcome before I get it made. Jim

Kitfox Pilot
05-05-2021, 05:32 AM
That is a full panel! Looks good.

Eric Page
05-05-2021, 09:22 AM
Looks very nice! A few things come to mind that you might consider:

- To the right of the MASTER switch, there are two other items. One appears to be labeled START, but there's also an ENGINE START pushbutton. Is this an accidental duplication?

- For any modern avionics which are qualified to DO-160 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DO-160) sections 16 and 17, the AVIONICS master switch is unnecessary. Furthermore, unless you plan to start the engine with no instrumentation turned on, the switch will serve no real purpose. It's also a single point of failure for the whole panel; perhaps not of critical concern for a VFR airplane with a tablet installed, but something to think about.

- Regarding the two-way rocker for NAV and STROBE, does this switch allow both to be on at the same time?

- Does the CABIN LIGHTS dimmer also adjust the brightness of rocker switch illumination? If the plane will be flown at night, do you really want LED lights in all of your switches, especially if they're not dimmable? Consider: position of the MASTER and AVIONICS switches are obvious by operation of the avionics; position of the AUTOPILOT switch is obvious by servo operation; position of LANE A and B switches are obvious by operation of the engine and lack of LANE A and B lights on the engine instrument; position of PUMP 1 and 2 switches are obvious by operation of the engine; and, position of NAV, STROBE, TAXI and LANDING LT switches are obvious by looking outside. Most manufacturers these days use a "dark cockpit" concept, reserving panel indicator lights for abnormal conditions only, so they'll be more likely to get the pilot's attention.

SomeDay7
05-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks Eric! I'll get back with you after I do some more investigating. Jim

SomeDay7
05-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Eric,
Here is the response from the engineer at Advanced. Yours should be similar to this if you are going with Dynon and a 912is. Going to send this final copy off to be made. Just wish I was further a head on the rest of my build. Took about 4 months of time to work on my moms stuff and now coming up on the season I wanted to get it painted in. Mom's house sale closed this week so that chapter is done. Just have to sale her car now. And my horses will be started in a couple of weeks which means I ride everyday for a month straight to get the lessons in their heads. May have to add a year to my build......

- To the right of the MASTER switch, there are two other items. One appears to be labeled START, but there's also an ENGINE START pushbutton. Is this an accidental duplication?
-This is not how your engine works as you have a momentary start toggle switch and then a push to start to start the engine. So no, this is not a duplication.

- For any modern avionics which are qualified to DO-160 sections 16 and 17, the AVIONICS master switch is unnecessary. Furthermore, unless you plan to start the engine with no instrumentation turned on, the switch will serve no real purpose. It's also a single point of failure for the whole panel; perhaps not of critical concern for a VFR airplane with a tablet installed, but something to think about.
-This does not accurately demonstrate how our system is designed to work. The master switch first turns on the EFIS so that you can monitor your engine prior to start. Turning the AVIONICS master on prior to start would be running all your avionics off the battery which is not ideal for the battery. The avionics would reboot after the engine is started too. You would turn the AVIONICS master switch on after starting your engine.

- Regarding the two-way rocker for NAV and STROBE, does this switch allow both to be on at the same time?
-Strobe position turns on both nav and strobe lights while nav position just turns on the nav lights.

-The cabin lights dimmer controls cockpit lighting that you may wish to install and wire to the dimmer switch. Avionics/switch lighting is controlled through the EFIS.

efwd
05-07-2021, 01:49 PM
With regard to the EFIS rebooting on engine start. This is rectified by having a back up battery for your PFD. I start my engine with all my avionics on without problems.

Eric Page
05-07-2021, 11:15 PM
Beauty -- I'm glad the answers all make sense and you're satisfied that it's just the way you want it!

SomeDay7
10-30-2021, 11:40 PM
Spent most of the summer training horses,working,fishing and still taking care of my mom. Yes she is still alive after given only 6 months to live. Modern medicine is incredible. It’s getting tougher but we are still going. Year and a half later. Broke two colts this summer. They are awesome rides and we do ride them a couple times a week on the pipeline road up to a trail system. I fish the ocean in my HiLaker which is a 14 ft center console. Kind of compare it to the kitfox I’m building as it is small for the ocean but has always brought me back safely, sometimes going out 18 to 20 miles looking for salmon. Ran across a huge kelp line and saw about 10 sunfish milling about. About the size af a piece of plywood. End of the summer I did some trail obstacle challenges and my horse performed excellent.

Restarted the build a couple of weeks ago. Was frustrated with the stabilizer and elevator bushings and bearings not lining up and binding. Decided that some filing on the bushings due to alignment with the tabs were needed and it loosened up the elevator.

Following the build manual now and working on the controls. They are turning out smooth but need a lot of adjusting and smoothing. Working on the flaperon mixer install and the safety wire part stumped me for a few but got it to work right.

I will try to post some pictures of some of this soon if any one is actually interested.

efwd
10-31-2021, 10:00 AM
We're always interested. :)

DesertFox4
10-31-2021, 06:43 PM
Yes we are interested and we are happy to hear your ❤️mom❤️ is with you still.

SomeDay7
11-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Hey DesertFox4. Wife visited the grandkids overseas and dropped off a flight jacket for the grandkid. Here is the pic back. With his dad’s jet. Hope Your granddaughter is well too.

DesertFox4
11-01-2021, 06:45 PM
That is a cool photo.👍👍 He looks ready to light the burner and take it for a spin.
Granddaughter is great. Just turned two today.😀 Thanks for asking.

SomeDay7
11-28-2021, 11:31 AM
Spent the last year and a half trying to work on my plane while taking care of my mom too. Mom left us last week. Been hard but time well spent. Tried to take time to my self this summer and did. Didn’t work on the plane though but now it’s time. Got about a month of work on it in October til Mom started to fail. Back at it now and at the rudder pedal install. A few things were slightly perplexing, but with the help of the forum, I got them to work. I had left off on the rudder tail assembly last May and came back to it first. Just couldn’t get that smoothness I wanted. Found with some bending of the tabs and grinding the side of a couple of bushings the attach points lined up better.
Another area that took some finesse is the control column mount. Found out that it binds on both sides due to the welds being slightly raised and the tabs not being aligned, probably due to heat from welding. After filing and using a straight edge to make sure it was perfectly flat I got the smoothness I wanted in the mount. Floor boards were the same but I hollowed out the wood on these to have it lie flat. Floor boars that go around the sticks.we’re vague in the instructions as to which way to mount. I mounted them with extra room on the adjustment side. Still not sue if this was right? Another sticky issue was the mixer mounting bolts with safety wire. When first mounted, I could not get rotation to happen in the flanged bearings. Then noticed the mounting bolts seemed slightly oval and I could get about 30 degrees of looseness on one side of a turn of them. This along with getting the safety wire tight, solved the problem of the bolts turning in the tabs.

SomeDay7
11-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Time spent this summer instead of building. Fished a bunch. Salmon in the freezer for all winter. Saw these sun fish out about 14 miles off the coast in a kelp line I was fishing for salmon. About 10 of them all just on top. Have to be careful you don’t hit them. One trip the boat builder at Westport launched a ship. Just made it through before they shut everything down for this. Lots of horse training. Trained two colts all summer and did a few trail trials. Went to Vegas to meet my fighter pilot son for his birthday. Got to drive a Lamborghini Aventador and my son a Ferrari. Amazing they let you go all out on the track. Built out a new Jeep. New hybrid Jeep. Not much range. Just enough to go back and forth to work on full electric. Sign of the times. NexT an electric kitfox? Not. Back to work and it’s fun again. Also I put off my advanced panel as long as I could. They didn’t complain as they said the chip shortage and Covid was slowing them down. Going this week to pick it up. Said they would have it up and running as they test their work before it goes out the door.

SomeDay7
12-02-2021, 08:23 PM
Drove down to Canby, Oregon today and picked up my quick panel. The techs and owner Rob Hickman had it fired up on the bench. Explained some of the components and screens. Very happy with the amount of time I will save with their help. I left it semi put together just so I could go over it a bit more. I got home and added the guardian mount for my IPad and the small panel that hooks up to the MT prop controller.

Kitfox Pilot
12-02-2021, 09:09 PM
Glad to see you are back on the build, looking good!

Pushboy
12-03-2021, 08:51 AM
Just curious -- and this may not be the smartest question, but how are the lengths of all the cables determined when doing a quick type panel like that? I'm guessing that the locations of all components is know during design so cable length can be pre-measured -- is that some thing you had to do, or does the company figure that out somehow? Do you ever end up short or with way too much? Just wondering.

Great looking panel by the way.

SomeDay7
12-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Thanks Harlan, Wish I was about where you are right now. Pushboy. They have done quite a few foxes so they know the appropriate length. Only thing I have to wire are the engine wiring and the remote wires coming in to the panel.

SomeDay7
12-08-2021, 12:32 PM
Crabbing this last weekend on Hoods Canal. Distractions. Shoot.

Eric Page
12-08-2021, 04:28 PM
You're a Western Washingtonian through and through: Dungeness crab marinated in Starbucks non-dairy creamer. ;)

SomeDay7
12-08-2021, 05:57 PM
Guess I didn’t notice my friends creamer there. My wife makes great crab stuffed mushrooms though.

Eric Page
12-08-2021, 10:03 PM
Very nice! I'll be right over. :rolleyes:

SomeDay7
12-14-2021, 08:23 PM
I don’t know why but these retention straps worried me. Didn’t have a good way to make them. Had to improvise. Came out good I think.

SomeDay7
12-27-2021, 01:03 PM
Few days in on the build this month. Rudder pedals with master cylinders are in now. Some worry on the bearings for the tubes. Welded areas were not quite round and took some filing and sanding for fitment. Very smooth now. Springs were easy to mount. I put them on before installing the unit in the fuselage. Mounted the other pulleys on the fuselage along with the tubes for the rudder cables. Wasn’t crazy about sanding the tubes like in the manual so I reamed the mounting locations and glued them in with some 3m fast cure 5200 after roughing up the tube with 80 grit. Going to wait on the cable swaging and moving on to the tail. The mounting points for the tail were slightly off which made for some binding. The elevator had this problem which I corrected with some grinding on the bushings and mounting brackets. This just needed the bottom rod end bearing to be ground on top with a washer on the bottom. To day I’m working on the tail and rudder ribs. Finally got a cold spell out side so it’s great to be in my shop today.

SomeDay7
01-18-2022, 10:34 AM
Completed the tail assembly last night with two coats of varnish. Top was done up to match the over all square look of the STI. Think it will be ok to pull fabric over. Now on to the seat pan in next few days.

bbs428
01-19-2022, 02:59 AM
Nice workmanship on your vertical stab/rudder!

SomeDay7
01-23-2022, 11:00 AM
The seat pan is in now. Couple of days of fitting and trying on some of the parts that go with it. After getting it close, I just had to see we’re the cushions sat to get an idea of the front of the seat pan. The instructions give you the option to take out some center for clearance. I’m leaving it as the cushions go well past that. Took some shots of the cushions to compare the sizes I have. I remember when ordering I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. Here it is. The medium side by side. Medium and large. Medium and small. Large and small. And then, the large and small side by side. 1inch, 2 inch, 3 inch. Should cover the people that fly with me.
The rest of the pictures are the pan with the fittings done up. The holes for the belts and how the belts fit. Center fitment seemed slightly off but just seen Harlan’s video and the velour seems to cover that up nicely.

SomeDay7
01-23-2022, 11:02 AM
Couple more pics.

DesertFox4
01-23-2022, 08:15 PM
Great looking cushions Jim. Seat pan looks good!

Eric Page
01-23-2022, 09:50 PM
Boy, do I envy you guys with those welded-in mounting tabs for the seat pan...

SomeDay7
01-23-2022, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys! Finally getting after it again.

PapuaPilot
01-24-2022, 09:22 AM
My model 5 seat pan came with holes and was supposed to use tiewraps, which I didn't like at all. I upgraded to some Adel clamps with #10 tinnerman nutplates and use AN3 bolts to mount my seat pan. It takes 2 minutes to get my seat out now for the inspection. I have 3 on each side at the front lip and 2 on the rear upper lip, 8 bolts total.

alexM
01-24-2022, 04:42 PM
The previous builder of my series 5 did something similar by making his own Adel type clamps out of stainless. I Hysoled these in place and riveted floating nutplates on them.
Then I used countersunk screws with dimpled washers to hold the seat in place.

SomeDay7
01-25-2022, 01:26 AM
Swaged my rudder cables tonight. Watched a few videos and first one came out just right. Start on the stringers tomorrow.

PapuaPilot
01-25-2022, 09:22 AM
The previous builder of my series 5 did something similar by making his own Adel type clamps out of stainless. I Hysoled these in place and riveted floating nutplates on them. Then I used countersunk screws with dimpled washers to hold the seat in place.

That looks like the clamps from the factory for the upgrade. I got two of them for the top of the seat pan.

SomeDay7
02-07-2022, 10:02 PM
I was going to install the dual pin door latch and it appeared that the first part of the instructions were missing. The section started on #28. Called kitfox and I was glad I did. The dual pin door latch info was actually all there. Heather told me that the latch was recently brought back from Skystar and the info was all there. She did give me some helpful tips on the door and window angle install I didn’t know about. I guess another builder made up some videos on his build. SaltFox on YouTube. He actually had Brandon on and there is some helpful tips there. Like use some rib strengtheners to set the right depth for the fuselage cowl angle. Another tip was to use a straightedge from the door angle to the bottom of the fuselage so the fabric will flow smoothly from the angle to the bottom. Dimple the metal to hide the rivets. Time to get on to the latches and install the doors.

alexM
02-08-2022, 11:41 AM
That's a different approach to the rear window frames. I see you have the lower angled piece on top of the fuselage tube. My lower aluminum piece "cups" the tube from underneath. Seeing yours made me scramble to see if I did it wrong (high likelihood) but I see a few other build threads which are the same.

If anything, doing it your way makes it easier to install the windows. With the tube inside the channel you have to bond the aluminum in place with the gap outboard of the tube to allow room for the window, and doing so creates a bit of a bump at the rear corner which likely won't fair well when covered.

Yours looks very smooth. And either way, when covered it would take a very sharp eye to know which way the frames were installed.

SomeDay7
02-08-2022, 12:08 PM
Yes, I figured the windows would fit nice this way.

Jerrytex
02-08-2022, 07:11 PM
For whats it worth, make sure that lower frame is bonded well. The fabric really pulls hard on the window frames. I did mine like the manual said (cupping the tubing) so I had hysol between the frame and tubing on 2 sides, and when I shrunk the fabric, it broke the frame loose in a one area. A real PITA to fix.

SomeDay7
02-08-2022, 08:09 PM
Thanks Jerrytex. I figured that and thats why I put it on top instead of the bottom. I may add some more HySol under that piece.

Kitfox Pilot
02-09-2022, 07:16 PM
Jim what did you use to paint the aluminum door and window frames?

SomeDay7
02-09-2022, 11:23 PM
Harlan, it’s poly fiber epoxy primer.

SomeDay7
02-14-2022, 12:06 AM
Got my car out. Have not driven it in over 4 months since the weather turned and all that has gone on around here. Just hope my plane is as dependable as this car I got done about 5 years ago.

alexM
02-14-2022, 10:06 AM
Wow! It was a nice day for a convertible ride yesterday. That thing must be a scream.

SomeDay7
02-14-2022, 11:26 AM
It does. 454 hp and 490ft/lbs of torque. Took a neighbor’s son for a ride. He is hooked.

SomeDay7
03-08-2022, 10:39 PM
Quite a lot has transpired last couple of weeks. Been working on the dual pin door latches. Questioned how the door skins and hinges would work together. Called Brandon and ordered the butt rib close out. I then was looking at the finishing involved. I painted the pin latch parts with a brush and was just not happy with the finish. Ordered a Fuji HLVP sprayer. Made in Canada. Watched a couple of videos on proper application methods and think this system will work great. Moving on to the next step as I don’t think I can set the hinges the proper depth with the addition of fabric and working the close out into place. Also ordered up my trailer as I am going to haul it to the airport every time I fly. Got it today and it is exactly what I wanted. A tow dolly, low to the ground. Will replace the axels with some 2000 lb torsion axels. Should be about right with a 950lb plane, 450 lb trailer and two refuel tanks on top of the trailer. Fenders look like I can move them for placement over the wheels. I will extend the hitch with a ramp on top. Comes with tie down straps and the ramps tilt when the pin is pulled. A somber note to take in is one of my boys have been moved closer to the conflict. My wife is very upset and I am taking this in as it will affect us greatly with high prices, a recession, lost and indecision. I’m sure my boys are saying bring it on because that is what they are trained to do but all is silent. All that has slowed me down a bit. Just got to keep going on the build. Slow but sure.

SomeDay7
03-08-2022, 10:44 PM
Brandon did send me these pics of the close out to have an idea of how they work. He said they only do it that way on their’s and the factory planes.

SomeDay7
03-10-2022, 05:15 PM
Put the baggage sack in last night. Varnished the floor boards today. One of the easiest projects so far.

Eric Page
03-10-2022, 07:42 PM
My baggage sack didn't come with that fancy net over the opening. Where'd you get that?

SomeDay7
03-10-2022, 10:26 PM
Part of it. Directions also said you could just put in 4 of the 8 bolts and nuts. But I’m going to use all 8 and need to get some tie downs to put on each of them.

SomeDay7
03-15-2022, 11:29 PM
Just in the figuring mode lately. Looking at the battery tray for the 915 and mounting of the autopilot servos. Think I have the best idea for the battery and servo placement. It is locate in the aft fuselage. The batteries recommended at kitfox were the odyssey pc625 or the etx680c. Both seemed under rated. Also such a variation in weight at 13.2 lbs and 3.9 lbs. Not sure how much weight I need in this aft station, but may need more due to the weight of the 915 and MT propeller. Placed an order to aircraft spruce for the raw materials tonight. Also placed an order for the earthx 900 and charger with the power supply. Excited to get this installed along with the ELT and then it will be on to some fuselage covering.
Not sure if needed but my boy has been training over seas and here is a video of practice. He did say this is a guy that is a little different but he caught the essence of the training.

https://youtu.be/_OZYBeEZ3iY

jrevens
03-16-2022, 05:40 PM
That was good Jim… thanks for sharing it!

Shadowrider
03-16-2022, 06:32 PM
Cool video!

I would go with the battery kitfox recommends which I believe is the ETX680C. As far as moving the battery here is my opinion. Leave the battery factory location and just add weight to the tail. Run a weight and balance and see how little the moment moves by shifting the battery to behind the seat. You are going to add quite a bit of weight running battery cables and moving the battery that far from the starter. You will get the largest moment shift with the least amount of added weight by just adding weight to the tail. Basically I think you will shift the CG the most and add the least amount of weight just by adding weight to the tail. Next is run the airmaster instead of the MT and save on weight on the nose which really effects forward CG being clear out on the farthest arm.

SomeDay7
03-17-2022, 09:27 AM
Shadowrider, The ETX680c is undersized for this application from beginning. I am staying with that setup and actually adding a storage compartment aft of that station. It will be for a tool kit, anchors, and some safety stuff. This should help with weight and balance calculations. Seems such little knowledge out there of this setup other than what Kitfox knows and would like to know beforehand. Guess this is my solution to my question. Not getting rid of the prop as I have invested heavily in this setup and will adapt around it.

Jrevens, I can't believe the coverage we have from this conflict going on now. All this has happened in the past conflicts with the general populations not knowing the details. Our military just needs to make sure we are ready due to the push of the public seeing this carnage.

VictorV
03-25-2022, 01:01 PM
Shadowrider, The ETX680c is undersized for this application from beginning.
I agree with this. I followed the 915is manual and will get the ETX900. Adds 1 lb which is not too bad.

I wonder if anyone has tried aluminum wire rather than copper. Does that save weight? I know it has to be thicker to
carry the same current. Aluminum has 60% current capacity and 30% of the weight so to get the same current
carrying capacity it would weigh half as much. Seems like a good option for those of us trying to get the weight
down to meet LSA standards.

Victor

PapuaPilot
03-25-2022, 02:27 PM
I would avoid using aluminum wiring in aircraft. The history of its use have not been good in aircraft.

Just keep your main power runs as short as possible and use copper wiring, even if it means ballasting the the tail a little for CG reasons.

Shadowrider
03-25-2022, 02:42 PM
I agree with this. I followed the 915is manual and will get the ETX900. Adds 1 lb which is not too bad.

I wonder if anyone has tried aluminum wire rather than copper. Does that save weight? I know it has to be thicker to
carry the same current. Aluminum has 60% current capacity and 30% of the weight so to get the same current
carrying capacity it would weigh half as much. Seems like a good option for those of us trying to get the weight
down to meet LSA standards.

Victor

Is the EXT900 what kitfox sells for the 915 firewall forward kit now? Will it fit in the battery tray? Are you concerned about cranking amps? The 915is is the same bore size as the 912uls and actually has less compression than the 912uls The EXT680 cranks the 912uls and creates some thrust while doing it. Just curious what your seeing?

SomeDay7
03-25-2022, 04:20 PM
Talked with Brandon on the battery after I got it. Said it works well. Like Victor said just a pound more. A few styrofoam shims and we are good.

VictorV
03-25-2022, 05:29 PM
I would avoid using aluminum wiring in aircraft. The history of its use have not been good in aircraft.

Just keep your main power runs as short as possible and use copper wiring, even if it means ballasting the the tail a little for CG reasons.

Hi Phil,
Could you provide some info on why the history of the use of aluminum is not good?

jrevens
03-25-2022, 06:01 PM
Hi Phil,
Could you provide some info on why the history of the use of aluminum is not good?

Not speaking for Phil, but there are multiple reasons. Here are just a few -
It is not compatible with many of the “standard” connectors, terminals, etc. because of dissimilar metal corrosion and/or loosening of the connection due to softness of the metal & thermal expansion & contraction. As a general rule, when it is used in home or commercial wiring a dielectric grease is usually used to seal the connections from air & moisture, and the wire is usually cleaned with a wire brush or something to remove the naturally occurring aluminum oxide, which is basically non-conductive, right before making the connection. Aluminum also has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than copper. Aluminum is cheaper, and this is the main reason it was used in home wiring decades ago. Many home fires were attributed to it, and special receptacles & switches were eventually designed to be used with it. Many homes ended up being completely rewired.

PapuaPilot
03-25-2022, 08:06 PM
Thanks John. I didn't have the time to get into the details earlier when I answered.

Eric Page
03-26-2022, 10:59 AM
Is the EXT900 what kitfox sells for the 915 firewall forward kit now? Will it fit in the battery tray? Are you concerned about cranking amps? The 915is is the same bore size as the 912uls and actually has less compression than the 912uls The EXT680 cranks the 912uls and creates some thrust while doing it. Just curious what your seeing?
The smaller EarthX batteries will have no trouble cranking any of the Rotax engines, but the -680 and -680C do not have the nameplate energy capacity specified by the 912iS and 915iS installation manuals. For a 912UL/ULS or 914 installation this wouldn't be as much of a concern, but the iS engines are dependent on electrical supply to continue running. Rotax specify a minimum battery capacity (16Ah, as I recall) to ensure that the engine will keep running in the event of both A and B alternator failures.

What we don't know is the length of time that Rotax believes the engine should continue to run in this scenario. Also, I'm unaware of any instrumented testing that shows current demand for an iS engine at typical cruise power settings, so calculating battery-only run time is very difficult.

The ETX-900 is packaged in the same case size as the -680 (the -680C is smaller) but has higher energy capacity and weighs very little more.

SomeDay7
04-02-2022, 08:14 PM
Battery box is now complete. Running wires with new crimper tonight. Been working on multiple systems to make sure they all work together. Sent the firewall and electric service trays in to be powder coated. Heater is different than the factory in that it’s air flow is through tubes, blowing on the wind screen and the pilot and passenger. Direct flow of the heat on the skin makes the difference in how you feel, compared to indirect flow. Drove the cobra today to an event with 39 degrees out and felt warm with that and the seat heaters. Got my thermobob yesterday and was a bit dismayed in that I made the dash up thinking that I could put my heater valve in-line with the heater side but cannot with the thermobob. Perfect actually as the pull will just hook up to a valve I will need to make in the defrost vent. More flow to us instead when needed. Got all the panel material from aircraft spruce for more trays and servo mounts. Have to button up this fuselage in about two months to start painting. Cobra was awesome today and had fun with my cobra buddy going to Griots. Theme: super cars and was special for the large crowd that attended.

SomeDay7
04-03-2022, 11:04 PM
Advanced Flight Systems made up my cables after my final measurements. Battery box is done. Just have to run the charger wire up into the dash.

alexM
04-04-2022, 07:57 AM
That's a really clean battery installation.

I wish I had known about the car show at Griot's. It's just across town from me and I last attended a German themed show back when we were allowed to go outside. I've even stumbled in there just to buy products and found this icon of motorsports:

And just over a week ago I took my brother to the local car museum, which featured a lot of fantastic Alfas.

SomeDay7
04-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Thanks Alex. Yes. These car gatherings around here are pretty amazing with all the tech companies and wealth it provides. My Seattle car club: Avants, has every car imaginable including Alfas. One guy in particular comes to mind. He maintains a past president of Microsoft's car collection. A big Alfa fan and has a lot of followers. One car in particular is the #12 prewar Alfa racecar that beat the Germans at the time. He can seem to go on for hours telling about it and other cars in that collection. I have been to the collection a couple of times and he lets you sit and be around the cars. I have had a lot of great times being around these collectors and their stories. Would not have been there if it wasn't for the cobra. Hope to do the same with my plane. Just getting out and seeing history and the stories behind it all. Looks like a nice collection of cars you saw over there!

DesertFox4
04-04-2022, 03:08 PM
Beautiful autos guys. Cobras look like a blast on a sunny day.

SomeDay7
04-04-2022, 09:54 PM
Working on the tail wheel. May have the wrong width one for this application. I see on the tundra lite website a 1.5” and a 1.25” listed. Almost fits with this bracket off. Could clean it out a bit to make it fit with the bracket off. Then it would fit. Mounted the lever as per the guy. That manufactured these with no bend in the wire. Just have to make a housing out of sheet metal and cover it. I like where it sits and up is locked, down is unlocked.

SomeDay7
04-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Firewall and service trays came back from the powder coater. White engine mount should go great with it. Harlan got with me about the tail wheel issue. Thanks Harlan, hope your first flight is like all the rest.

SomeDay7
04-05-2022, 10:36 PM
Working on the roll servo tonight should be as light weight as I could make it. Just need to make up the arm.

SomeDay7
04-14-2022, 01:17 AM
Mojo gone, done here.

Kitfox Pilot
04-17-2022, 02:10 PM
[QUOTe Mounted the lever as per the guy. That manufactured these with no bend in the wire. Just have to make a housing out of sheet metal and cover it. I like where it sits and up is locked, down is unlocked.[/QUOTE]

The placement for your tail wheel lock is much better than where I placed mine. Did you get the tailwheel to fit? I did remove the piece you have in the pic but it fit perfect after I did that. Looking good.