PDA

View Full Version : Graphics on the IP

Dorsal
01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Looking for tips to get a professional looking set of labels on my IP. Are there places that make custom transfers? have folks used general purpose dry transfer sheets with success?
All suggestions appreciated.

Dorsal
01-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Looks like Aircraft Spruce offers both vinyl stickers as well as dry transfer in two sizes (no indication what those sizes are). Anybody use these? Likes, dislikes?
All comments appreciated.

cap01
01-03-2010, 10:41 AM
i tried the sheets of dry tranfers from spruce . could have been me , but i wasnt happy with them . too tedious lining up the words and not enough of the words and phrases that we require . for lack of anything else , i used the dymo tape black on clear . still not happy with it , but again it was me , the airplane was being inspected the next day and i was in a rush to get something on the panel . really doesnt look too bad if id been more careful with applying them. still on the lookout for something better
chuck

Hallgrimur
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi,
I would also be intersted if there is a good solution for the IP. I used the Dymo but it is not good looking in my point of wiew..
Hallgrimur

cap01
01-03-2010, 12:16 PM
i half heartedly looked into getting an auto graphic sign place to make up some vinyl placards . it was a little cost prohibitive just to see if it would work and besides at the time i had bigger fish to fry . may look into it again sometime . right now the project is replacing a wing gas tank .

Mark
01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
When we do a factory panel, we powdercoat it and then have the lettering laser cut into the powdercoat. It's permanent, indistructable, and professional. It's an option if your panel isn't assembled yet.

Dick B in KY
01-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Just for info, I made up a nomenclature sheet on the computer with correct font size and spacing. Took it to an instant sign print shop and had them print on self adhesive, matte black material. Cut and install as required. About 30 dollars for four copies (extras for the ones I screw up).

Dick B

Dorsal
01-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Mark,
Can you give an idea as to what that costs and how long it takes?

cap01
01-03-2010, 12:39 PM
bet the powder coat and etching makes a fine looking panel . who does that ?

cap01
01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
dick, the instant sign thing sounds interesting. whats a instant sign shop ? can they print black on clear ? my panel is light gray , the letters on black wouldnt look so good

SkyPirate
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
There is an engraver that does panels,..switches,..fuel caps,..etc.
in Mass ,..Dorsal ,.I'll get the info for you if you like.

Chase

Dorsal
01-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Chase,
That would be great, thanks!

SkyPirate
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
my bust Dorsal ,..thought it was in Mass ,..it's in CT ,.check it out

http://www.engravers.net/aircraft/dataplate.htm (http://www.engravers.net/aircraft/dataplate.htm)

Slyfox
01-04-2010, 01:49 PM
buy a brother p-touch. I used one on my RV. Once in awhile one will come off from hitting it with my finger when using a switch, but no problem, print a new one. I made all sorts of labels, to the ones on the wings for the fuel tanks. Very convenient.

I also remember when I was going through my final inspection, one of the labels didn't read right, no problem, I printed out a new one to the inspectors liking. Very convenient.

akarmy
01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
So here's what I did on my RV panel.

I took a sheet of clear Laser printer labels and simply printed up the labels as needed. The key trick is to border them with the black box. The box gives you a cut line and hides the fact that they are stick on labels from your eye. This only works on light colored panels. It's very cheap and easy to build out an entire panel with these, and they are replaceable if you decide to move something around later. Some people have sprayed clear coat over them once you print on them to make them more durable, but I never did. They seemed to last fine for the 5 years I had the plane.

http://www.karmy.com/rv9a/pictures/fuselage/electrical/img_0043_std.jpg

cap01
01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
good idea with the laser printer . i had come across a smoking deal on-line for a dymo rhino label maker with intention of using shrink sleeve that it could print on to mark the wires . that idea quickly went up in smoke when i saw how much of the shrink sleeve i was using and how expensive it is. i finally opted for printing wire labels from the nylon label material and using clear shrink sleeve over them . anyway, for that labeler they have some cartridges with industrial strength glue that really stick good and works pretty good on the inst panel. they are so sticky that its a challenge to keep fingerprints off the back of the label when installing them on the instrument panel .

Dick B in KY
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Cap 01 (Chuck), Instant print shop is the same as a graphics print shop (check the yellow pages for signs). They can print in clear , black, white, etc on about any color background shiny, matte or other. My panel is dark grey so I used black matte with white lettering.

Dick B

Mark
01-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Powdercoat on a panel is around $50-$60. The printing is usually between $60 and $85 - depending on how much lettering. We can also do panel layout and waterjet cutting. We can usually turn around a panel in about a week. (Longer to do layout and cutting.)

We also do custom data plates with your info in several colors. Here's mine:

akarmy
01-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Here's a cheap option. I simply took my brother labeler and made some clear labels with a nice border around them. Cut just outside the black line and they almost disappear when you place them on a light colored panel.

http://flying.karmy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/20100131-P1010023.jpg

Dorsal
02-01-2010, 05:00 AM
Looks very nice, I ended up using the dry-transfer approach, (see "I finished my panel"), annoying but effective. The downside is you need to clear coat over them and they are fairly permanent (not like experimental builders ever change anything)

SkyPirate
02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
that looks great Andy,.. Finn need a photo of yours :)

jtpitkin06
02-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Print labels in any color you want on Avery self stick label stock. Any color printer will work. Use any appropriate background color and font color. Your word processor can add borders, highlights, white on black, etc.

Then laminate over the lettering with self stick adhesive backed clear plastic. The laminate will protect the labels from finger prints and make them easy to clean.

Cut out labels with a straight edge and hobby knife. (Scissors wander too much to look professional.) Alternate cut method is to use a paper cutter.

Dorsal
02-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Here are my Dry Transfer results, not perfect but I am done messing with them. They have a clear coat on top so they should be fairly permanent. As an aside I used a DPDT switch to connect my heater fans in parallel or series to get HI - LOW settings for the heater.