PDA

View Full Version : N985MK S7 STI Build

mattkalin
06-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Hey everyone I wanted to get my Build Thread Going! Today I sent a wire transfer to Kitfox for my Kit. It is scheduled to ship out of Idaho on 6/19! As a little history I began flying about five years ago and I have Private with Instrument Rating. Currently working on my Tailwheel endorsement flying a Aeronca Champ. I owned a Cirrus SR-20 from 2016 until April of this year. I was getting sick of the Maintenance costs of the Cirrus and wanted to go experimental! I am excited to build something that is truly my own and have a lot fun along the way. I truly love Aviation and look forward to all that is in store for the build. Current plan is to go with the Rotax 915 other than that I have a lot to figure out! I will be building at my home in my 22x20 garage and my wife insists that she is able to park inside. I am not sure how well that will go but I have seen guys on here do it with less. I even went a little crazy and ordered a new Best Tugs A3 with my proposed paint scheme. 24808

Flybyjim
06-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Welcome, you will enjoy the journey. There is a lot of help from folks on this site, they are eager to help.

Meyer
06-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Good luck! I am down the road a bit from you. Text me if you have questions.

Scott

bbs428
06-09-2020, 06:13 PM
Welcome aboard! :D

mattkalin
06-24-2020, 05:12 PM
All I am very happy to report that my Kit has left the Factory ! Have not heard from the truck driver but lets hope he gets it here soon! Kitfox said the driver had one stop in Utah then direct to SW Michigan!The factory sent over some pictures from them rigging my wings. Getting Excited!! Big Thanks to all the crew at Kitfox for the hardwork that went into crafting this kit for me!

24937 2493824939249402494124942

DesertFox4
06-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Big congrats!!! The quick build wing is a thing of beauty and in my opinion the best “option” on the order form.
Enjoy your build Mathew.

efwd
06-25-2020, 05:44 AM
Sweet! If pre-rigged wings were an option when I got my pre-built wings I wish I had known it. I still have palpitations when people post questions about the rigging. I don't like to look back at the pictures of mine at that stage either. Wierd. Enjoy the build!

jiott
06-25-2020, 09:58 AM
Maybe I am an engineering nerd, but I really enjoyed rigging my own wings. It felt like I was actually doing something besides just assembly work, and that it was important to the flight characteristics. It also gave me a good understanding of how to tweak the rigging for a slightly heavy left wing during Phase I flight tests. Don't get me wrong, its also very satisfying to build your own plane with all the factory prefab and prerig options. I just want to encourage anyone facing the rigging task that it is not difficult, just follow the directions carefully and you will be very pleased on that maiden flight.

Shadowrider
06-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Awesome! I loved it when the factory sent us pictures. It felt like there was light at the end of the tunnel.....which turned out to be the start of the tunnel!

mattkalin
06-25-2020, 11:44 AM
On the STI wing its not an option.

I think what you meant is the Wings are "Quick Build" not an option. Wing Rigging to Fuse is definitely an option and I have the receipt to prove it. :D

Shadowrider
06-25-2020, 12:04 PM
Ah yes I was trying to clear things up and made it more confusing.

efwd
06-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Jim has it right. The whole thing was gratifying to say the least. I would not of enjoyed an assembly of parts either. It just made me nervous since I understand that this stuff is what dictates the flight character and I certainly didn't want my plane to fly awkardly. That will annoy a guy tremendously. It wasn't too hard to do just to clarify. My wings were pre-built but not rigged to the airframe. I bet it was an option but I was unaware.