PDA

View Full Version : Bad Stab Bushings?

spectrefox
06-01-2020, 05:52 AM
Hello all! First post here!

I'm unable to fit bolts into my stab bushings and think I may have gotten bad ones, but just wanted to check with you all. Searched the forums and could not see where anyone has this issue (if it is one) and I've messaged others that said they had no problems fitting the blots into bushings out of the box. Only one person I've spoken with mentioned taking his to a machine shop to ream them.

The manual mentions to sand down outside to get them to fit into the bearing, but no mention of reaming them to fit the bolt in. Is this unusual and warrants a call to Kitfox or have others had to ream them?

Thank you all for the help!

efwd
06-01-2020, 09:27 AM
I reamed them.

spectrefox
06-01-2020, 09:41 AM
I reamed them.

Thanks Eddie! I shall do the same then.

Meyer
06-01-2020, 10:34 AM
I ran into a number of these things. Instead of taking to a shop, I would order a reamer from mcmaster carr or somewhere similar, set the parts aside, and move on to another task. There is a fair amount of this, especially later when you are wiring/plumbing. You will get good at it.

Denalifox
06-01-2020, 11:26 AM
yep, ream em. mine turned out great.

spectrefox
06-01-2020, 01:18 PM
I ran into a number of these things. Instead of taking to a shop, I would order a reamer from mcmaster carr or somewhere similar, set the parts aside, and move on to another task. There is a fair amount of this, especially later when you are wiring/plumbing. You will get good at it.

Sure hope I get better :D Gave it a try myself and I'm able to fit the bolt in, but you can tell it isn't perfectly straight. I'm using the reamers that came with the Kitfox Toolkit; do you recommend picking up some from McMaster-Carr over those?

jiott
06-01-2020, 07:43 PM
The best way I found, and it has been suggested by others, to ream a straight hole is to put the handle thru the hole and PULL the reamer thru. If you push it thru it is really easy to start at an angle=bad.

spectrefox
06-02-2020, 04:17 AM
Makes sense. Tried on mine, but the reamer is too big to pull through and I believe it's the smallest reamer I have. May have to order some smaller ones and work my way up until the right sized reamer can be pulled through.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Meyer
06-02-2020, 04:46 AM
If you start with a smaller reamer, go about .004 smaller. In general when reaming, you do not really want to be reaming the last .001 off of something. Better to take a decent bite out of something like .004. If you buy a reamer, should only need one size smaller.

During the whole build I only bought 2 I think.

Brandon Petersen
06-02-2020, 06:23 AM
We discovered a batch of bushings that we’re not drilled to the proper spec prior to being put into he parts bin. Get a hold of John or Debra and they’ll line you out.

brandon

spectrefox
06-02-2020, 06:54 AM
Will do! Thanks Brandon!