PDA

View Full Version : maule tailwheel question

cap01
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM
i have a maule tailwheel installed on a model Iv 1050 and not real happy with the way its working . unable to get it unlocked most of the time either direction and when it does unlock it wont lock back up . i am using two leafs of a piper 1 1/4" tailwheel spring . the kingpin isnt exactly vertical with the top a few degrees aft of the bottom . wondering if anyone else has any trouble ? it works good as long as it remains locked but not very handy for getting around in tight spots or narrow runways . i have even considered replacing it with an iron designs 8" tailwheel assy .
chuck
kitfox IV 1050
912ul

Av8r3400
01-01-2010, 08:26 PM
To your problem, look at and inspect the locking cam and pin for wear and lubrication. It may be sticking and not operating properly.

---

I'm not real happy with my Maul either, for the opposite reason. It unlocks too easy, so I have had to removed the unlocking cam. Now it stays locked which really hampers the ground maneuverability of the plane.

I think my problem is due to the rudder stops being too short allowing the rudder to mover too far, unlocking the tail wheel.

A side problem with the permanently locked setup is that if the tailwheel skids due to tight maneuvering, the spring chains can come unhooked, I have the extension springs with hooks on the ends.

t j
01-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Chuck, this short video took the mystery out of tail wheel set up for me. Its not a maule but the principle is the same. My maule king pin angle is as you describe yours and as it should be (top a few degrees aft of the bottom) and the steering chains have a hair of slack. To unlock it I need to be moving slowly, push full rudder pedal then stab that brake when the pedal reaches full deflection.

http://www.akbushwheel.com/TailwheelTechnicalInfo.html

Tom Jones
Classic 4

Monocock
01-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I have a solid Maule wheel on my Mk 4 and recently changed the tail spring because it was a bit saggy and the tailwheel pivot was angling top-fore and bottom-aft.

The new spring allows the tailwheel to be correctly configured as described above but I have noticed that the tailwheel is less inclined to snap out anymore, especially in one particular direction.

I have decided to leave it as it is as I know I can do sharp right turns but only shallow left ones and have decided to live with it!

cap01
01-02-2010, 05:33 PM
thanks for the input . i spent the afternoon at the hangar tinkering with the tailwheel . by the way , great video about rigging the springs . the way mine is set up with tension springs the rudder will not get the tailwheel anywhere near unlock when its at the rudder stops . if i rig the springs like the video the springs are way too tight to even hook up . i think the next thing ill try is installing compression springs and then try rigging like in the video . spruce has the springs so until i can get those ill try installing spacer under the cam for the tailwheel unlock and see if i can get unlock closer to full rudder travel that way . weather was pretty crappy today so didnt get out for any taxi tests . also the field is really soft from all the rain so i dont want to tear up any sod or the airport vigilanties will hunt me down
thanks again for the help
chuck

napierm
01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't like my maule much either. I've used the matco but the chains run down at a pretty big angle.

The tailspring is 1.75" wide and flat so not sure about how to make it work with our narrow 3-leaf spring. Some kind of spacer...

Slyfox
01-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I have the experimental tail wheel and mine does the same thing. What I do is dis. the mech. clean real good and than grease it with black molly grease. Works good for a while than it acts up again. It has the grease zert, but that doesn't work, have to clean it and grease it.

cap01
01-06-2010, 12:03 AM
when i had it jacked up the other day , i did shoot some moly grease in it but havent had it out to try it . as far as i can tell , it was a new tailwheel assy and never has operated correctly . correctly as compared with the scott on a 170b and 180 . althou i dont expect the maule on the kitfox to be the same due to the shorter fuselage and less affective brakes . the kitfox speedster whos hangar im in has 400hrs on it and never has had trouble with the maule on it . still could be some geometry thing with the j-3 spring and the length of the rudder horns , ill see what i can do with installing compression springs ?
thanks

Slyfox
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll say it again, on my tail wheel, I had to clean it out real good and replace the grease with a light grease, for me it was the black molly grease. When I had the thicker grease and cold temps, the tail wheel would not work right. Even with the molly grease I will have problems with it locking or unlocking. That's when I know it's time to clean er out and regrease. I usually have to do this twice a year. I just did it again because I landed and ended up 90 to the runway. I thought it was the wind, but I didn't take any chances, I tore down the tail wheel and did er up. It's quit a ride when the tail wheel does not lock up. Oh and I do massive slips, that's why my tail wheel can have problems locking up straight on landing.

Mnflyer
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Here's another good article on getting a Maule TW correct, as others I did not care for the Maule TW but that's what is on my Champ and I cussed it untill a came across these instructions and after following them the TW works perfectly, but the Maule is not the best machined device and thus requires more attention/maintenance \. Originally my Kitfox had a Matco 6" and it was not that good either would have to remove it and clean & lube it every 80 / 90 hrs so I installed a Lang D501 and it has worked flawlessly for many yrs and hrs, they are well designed and built tailwheels.
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/Maule_Tailwheel.pdf

One of the biggest problems with the Maule TW is the king pin bushing if it is worn / elongated the TW will not work right and the machining if the king pin area of the fork is very poor and tends to wear the bushing.

Jerrytex
02-08-2012, 08:08 AM
I noticed a large amount of play on the steering arm of my maule tailwheel. I popped the dust cap off and checked the nut on top and it was tight. I can grab the steering arm and it feels loose. Everything is working right, I just don't remember this much slop in the arm. (I have a video of it but can't attach it) There are 36 hours on the plane. I wouldn't think the tailwheel is worn out yet? I saw the article about the Maule tailwheels. I am wondering if anyone has run across this? What part was worn out? I was thinking about ordering the lock ring for $35 but i wanted to make sure there isn't some other common issue.

GDN
02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I noticed the same issue the axle is loose but i didn't find any functioning problem

napierm
02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a worn maule TW that I replaced the main bushing in and then hand lapped until it turned freely. The main pivot at least has no slop.

But the arm assembly has play that I don't see how to remove. Will use a Matco instead.

t j
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
The outer ends of the steering arm on my maul TW wiggle up and down 7/16 inch. Foreward and aff it is tight. As near as I remember it has been like that since it was new. In fact I think every maul tail wheel I have tried to wiggle the steering arm on has that kind of play.

Jerrytex
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
All the play on mine is only up and down as well. I am not sure but I think mine goes up and down more than 7/16" though. I'm gonna work on trying to put the video on u-tube.

Jerrytex
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Ok here is a link to the video. In one part it looks like it has front to back play but it's a bad angle. It is tight front to back. Only up and down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUh1eUac5SM&feature=youtu.be

GDN
02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
OH I have like you, it's not the axle in fact only this part of metal hanging the springs (excuse me for my english i'm french)

GDN
02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Has i have almost finished my complete overhaul, i have decided to change the maul tail wheel to the 6" with tire Matco one :

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL6PNEUMATIC-idv-3373-69.html

this one weight is 4,75 pounds. Is anybody knows the weight of the Maule one just to see the impact for my centering. (i think will be peanuts but just to know).

Thank you, I'm so existed to fly in my new one almost 4 months without flying AARGH !

t j
02-16-2012, 06:50 AM
this one weight is 4,75 pounds. Is anybody knows the weight of the Maule one just to see the impact for my centering. (i think will be peanuts but just to know).

The Aircraft Spruce Catalogue says 6 pounds for the Maul.

Peteohms
02-16-2012, 07:21 AM
I just got this 8" a couple months ago and it weighs about the same as the Maule I replaced. I love my new Matco.

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL8PNEUMATICLightWeight-idv-3750-69.html

You might want to call Matco and discuss your needs. They steered me away from the 7" wheel in favor of this 8" for my plane.

GDN
02-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Yes but i would like to keep the same angle of attack for the landings i switch to NANCO tires 21" coming from the original ATV wheels (20")
So i was thinking of adding A" too at the tailwheel the maul is 5" sure ?

Peteohms
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
My tail sits 2" higher but I just got some bush type tires I havn't mounted yet. It will probably put things about the way the were.

Peteohms
02-17-2012, 07:49 AM
You must be talking about a different Maule tailwheel than the one I replaced on my Kitfox III. It only weighed 6lbs.

kmach
02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
I put the Matco WHLT-8LD on my 5, it works great. it is an 8" tire 2" wide.it weighs 5.5 lbs.

jrthomas
02-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Will the Matco tailwheel assembly work with my existing spring? I just recently upgraded to the 3 leaf on my Model 4. James Thomas

Peteohms
02-18-2012, 07:34 AM
I bought the 3 lief spring set from Kitfox when I bought the Matco tailwheel. I left off the 3rd short spring to save weight and ended up trimming a couple inches off the other 2 springs to match the springs I replaced.

catz631
02-19-2012, 06:50 AM
I have the Matco WHLT-7P single fork 7 inch pneumatic on my plane. In combo with the Nanco mainmounts it works out good ! I also canned my Maule as I wasn't too happy with it. Lost a little weight also as the Matco is only 5 lbs total
Dick

catz631
02-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Forgot to add. The Matco bolted right to my 3 leaf tailspring with no mods. Pretty much "plug and play"
Dick