PDA

View Full Version : Wing Lift Struts

patrick.hvac
04-29-2020, 11:23 AM
I am in a position where I do not have factory wing struts. (If anyone has a set FS pls reach out)

The streamline chromoly struts are awesome but perhaps a bit overkill, I think. I also hate not being able to grab the PVC faired ones.
Wondering if anyone has considered installing an aluminum extruded version?
Likely just need some billet fittings milled for the longeron end but other than that, I don't see why not..

Looking for opinions on this topic.
Cheers!

jmodguy
04-30-2020, 02:48 AM
Carbon cub uses aluminum struts. Make sure you do a stress analysis or you may not live to regret it...

buckchop
04-30-2020, 12:03 PM
I have some wingstrut tube from the rear struts of a pa12, good take offs when updated to lifetime struts on the pa12, one of these days im going to make a set of stuts for my KF. That way no stupid plastic clipon BS. They good idea but a cheapish alturnitive to the right way to do them. Weld them up soak inside in linseed oil and go for it.
A GOOD buddy of mine here in Ak gave me the idea. Thanks L.P.

alexM
05-05-2020, 11:37 AM
My series 5 project came with both regular and aero tubing struts, both unused. I'm going to install the aero struts, so the standard ones are surplus to my needs.

I will say the aero struts seem much heavier.

I'm still too new to know what items are cross compatible with other series of Kitfox aircraft, so you would need to do your own research. Also, located in the upper left corner of the US.

patrick.hvac
05-05-2020, 03:12 PM
I'll PM you. Thanks