PDA

View Full Version : Sight Gauge Tubes

Scot
04-27-2020, 05:25 PM
Nothing more fun than a game of "What is wrong with this picture?" Shouldn't be hard to spot. 24499

This was done by the original owner/builder and I never spotted it due to the fact that I just put the wings back on Saturday. It's the first thing I have found which seems to have been done completely wrong. SOOO, I am wondering, what would be the consequences of just leaving it as is, besides not getting accurate fuel readings while on the ground? The manual shows the sight gauge tube installation being performed before the root rib is joined to the spars, so wondering if it is feasible to just plug these rittings and install new ones into the fuel tank?

t j
04-27-2020, 06:21 PM
I think it is okay. Looks just like mine. I built it by the book.

efwd
04-27-2020, 10:25 PM
I agree. Looks correct.

109JB
04-28-2020, 12:35 AM
Tube angled further forward at bottom. Should be aft.

Scot
04-28-2020, 06:08 AM
Yes the tube should be angled aft, which begs the question, in flight, does it really matter ?

t j
04-28-2020, 06:10 AM
You're correct. My photo is of the right wing.

CoClimber
04-28-2020, 06:10 AM
I just looked at my tanks and they are like the original post. I agree that it makes more sense to have it angled the other way but this is how the tanks came from the factory. Just don't check your gauge while in a steep climb!

PapuaPilot
04-28-2020, 06:38 AM
This is the way it comes from the factory. It's OK. When you calibrate it you do it with the plane level, and possibly on the ground with a tailwheel plane (see TJ's picture).

It should be common sense to check fuel level on any plane while level in flight.

GuppyWN
04-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Hadn't thought of this before. im guessing there is a left and right fuel tank?

109JB
04-28-2020, 09:09 AM
To me the original picture is wrong, especially for a tail dragger. With the tail low you will need quite a bit more fuel for it to even register on the sight gauge when sitting on the ground. Level it doesn't really matter, but tail low you basically have no idea once the fuel level is below the bottom of the sight gauge. With it forward that is a lot more fuel on a taildragger.

HighWing
04-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Interesting discussion. I thought of this when finishing my first Model IV. My solution then was to fill the tanks a couple of gallons at a time - both in flight attitude and on the ground.. Yes, the fuel level in the sight gauge will vary according to attitude. The only thing I definitely remember is that "Full" on the sight gauge indicated 9 gallons and above. Empty on the sight gauge and you may still have a couple of gallons, but I doubt any of us would take off with no fuel visible. As a back-up, I added a low fuel indicator that flashed a red light on the panel when the wing takks were empty. A few hours and the sight gauges develop into a pretty good indicator of where you are fuel wise.