PDA

View Full Version : Getting Velcro to stay stuck.

109JB
04-26-2020, 05:42 AM
The Velcro that holds various stuff in my airplane is not staying stuck too well. The kind of things it holds is the seat cushions, upholstery panels, etc. The problem is the self adhesive on the velcro strips basically sucks. So when you go to remove something, instead of the 2 parts of the velcro separating, they stay stuck together and the adhesive just comes off the fiberglass, steel tube, etc. What have you guys done to get velcro to stick to these type surfaces. I'm not opposed to using non-adhesive velcro and glue, just want something that actually works.

Thanks

Shadowrider
04-26-2020, 06:01 AM
Do yourself a favor and throw all the supplied Velcro from kitfox in the garbage. The supplied Velcro from kitfox is not very good. Go to Walmart and buy two boxes of the industrial strength Velcro. It comes is 2” wide 5’. You can then cut as needed.

I know what some are going to say you must “prep” the surface correctly. I did proper surface prep and cleaned with alcohol before applying. Installed my interior and next morning it had all fallen off. Another tip someone gave me is in the back baggage area where the baggage sack is Velcro to the frame, you need more surface area. I took small aluminum angle and glued the angle to the frame so I had a flat surface to attach Velcro. Works mo better!

jiott
04-26-2020, 09:48 AM
My Kitfox supplied velcro is still stuck fine after 7 years. Except the velcro for the baggage sack that is applied to the frame tubes; as said there is not enough flat surface area, so I also used zip ties about every 8" to help hold the velcro in place-this has worked great and is easy to do.

jrevens
04-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Mine was ok also, but expecting it to stay put on the round tube is problematic. I went overboard, added unnecessary weight and installed some flat aluminum ledges in some areas. That has worked really well for me. I found that if the stuff starts to lift or shift that a little bit of gel super glue works to fix that.

109JB
04-26-2020, 04:43 PM
One of the types of velcro that won't stick for me is the industrial velcro from a big box store. Nothing I have came from Kitfox as I'm working on a Kitfox IV that was built many moons ago. It won't even stay stuck to the fiberglass seat pan that is totally flat and was cleaned with acetone before application. There has got to be a way. I'm going to try a few experiments starting with contact cement.

Shadowrider
04-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Try some super glue.

rv9ralph
04-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Try Weldwood Contact Cement. It may be a little bit old school but it works. Paint a coat on both surfaces, wait for it to dry, then put together... but make sure it is where you want it. It will stick on contact.

It is basically what is used on laminate countertops.

Ralph

Shadowrider
04-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Weldwood red can. I have used that to put hydroturf on jet ski and it works good.

dcsfoto
04-27-2020, 08:03 AM
I use 3M body molding two sided tape, same as used to stick the bubble door windows on the frame

David Kelm
7SS,912iS,Garmin

109JB
04-27-2020, 10:54 AM
I have some of that so will do a test

109JB
04-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Try Weldwood Contact Cement. It may be a little bit old school but it works. Paint a coat on both surfaces, wait for it to dry, then put together... but make sure it is where you want it. It will stick on contact.

It is basically what is used on laminate countertops.

Ralph

Weldwood red can. I have used that to put hydroturf on jet ski and it works good.

That is on my list to try. Thanks.

aviator79
05-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Where it's on round tubes, I used some rib lacing cord and stitched it to the tubes. The stitches don't interfere with the hook/loop fastening.

jiott
05-05-2020, 09:17 PM
That sounds good. Maybe better than the small zip ties I used.