PDA

View Full Version : STI Farm Fox Build Log

Pages : 1 [2] 3

efwd
05-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Congratulations on your Retirement Harlan! Hope that the remainder is everything but a grind. With a 915is and STi build, you should enjoy retirement to say the least.

jrevens
05-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Congratulations Harlan! I retired 10 years ago … hope you enjoy it as much as I have (I’m sure you will). That engine sure looks pretty!

yocum137
05-19-2021, 12:28 PM
Congrats, Harlan! Retirement is good work if you can get it. Everyone I’ve known who has retired has worked HARDER after they retired! 😉

Kitfox Pilot
05-19-2021, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I still grain farm corn, soybeans and wheat about 6 months a year so its kinda semi retirement but I am looking forward to more Kitfox time I hope.

lbrunet
05-20-2021, 05:14 AM
Congrats on your retirement. I am sure the public was lucky to have you. Is that the engine i see hanging on the airframe. Ha. Looking good.

Kitfox Pilot
05-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Thank You and yes the engine is hung and getting plumbed!

tdldedcd
05-23-2021, 10:09 PM
Congrats on your retirement Harlan. Well earned after 36 years of public service! Congrats on that engine and your progress too. At the rate you're going, you'll be flying your way through retirement in no time.

Kitfox Pilot
05-24-2021, 04:32 AM
Thanks Todd. I'm looking forward to some updates on your build!

Kitfox Pilot
05-31-2021, 06:00 PM
What do you use to tie up hoses in the engine compartment near the header pipes? I see they make stainless steel zip ties?

yocum137
06-30-2021, 07:57 PM
On my Pietenpol I used hose clamps. Dollars to donuts your Arrow has hose clamps, too.

Kitfox Pilot
07-07-2021, 05:17 PM
I wanted to use the earth x battery so I down sized the odyssey battery box that came with the fwf kit and moved my elt back behind the baggage compartment because the remote is on the dash to operate the elt.
Trying to get as much weight back to off set the 915 and prop. Hoping to be done wiring in another week??? Wiring is a time consuming job to get done for me.

yocum137
07-07-2021, 05:41 PM
I never thought I'd ever hear a pilot say, "Gee, I wish there was more weight in the tail!" ;-)

Granted, that's never been a complaint of a Pietenpol pilot.

So, how much time do you think you've got invested in doing all the electrical work? Kitfox has the pre-wired panels that cuts the install down to about 12-16hrs. I'm wondering if it's worth the money since I'm not retired and time is more scarce to come by for me.

Oh, I should add that I'm going the same engine and prop as you...

Kitfox Pilot
07-07-2021, 06:04 PM
Daniel I really don't know cause I did some wiring pre cover and if I had to guess you need 120 to 150 hrs to wire a vfr garmin install?? And then I have to do something to finish the panel. The Kitfox panels cost roughly 10k over parts so it up to what you want to do.
If you are good at book study and electric schematics its not a big job. For me it was lots of study and a little wiring and lots of teamkitfox questions on things I'm not sure of or just don't understand.
The wiring is enjoyable for me because I've always been a hands on person. The book work is not enjoyable for me.
If you have an extra 10k you don't mind parting with I'd do the pre built panel.
I really wanted to under stand the wiring in the plane. I could sure wire another one a lot faster. Harlan

And no doubt we will need some weight in the tail to off set the extra 15 or so lbs for the electric prop over a regular prop. I'm trying to get what I can back there.

alexM
07-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Amen to that Harlan. I could do everything on this plane much faster if given another opportunity. Having priced out both a Garmin and Dynon VFR panel in great detail I don't think the margin on the Kitfox panels is anything like $10k. If you were to buy every piece at retail I think there's almost no margin at all. They get better deals than we do and they're very much in practice. If Garmin is your choice and the layout suits you it's almost a no brainer.

jiott
07-07-2021, 08:24 PM
Just my opinion based on what I have observed here in these wiring discussions, but I personally am convinced that wiring up a Dynon Skyview/Advanced Flight Systems panel is significantly easier and more straightforward than what I am hearing with the Garmin panels. I am certainly as non-electrically inclined as many of you, but my Dynon panel went in with no confusing questions and no need for support from the factory. I did not use their plug-and-play option which makes it even easier. I have been very happy with it for 8 years now. Just my 2 cents worth.

yocum137
07-22-2021, 03:14 PM
Harlan,

I'm placing my pre-wired panel order, today. Electronics doesn't bother me too much... but, time is precious to me. It'll still take 4mo to get to me!

Next question - I'm also ordering the Oratex and Janina is telling me they can't do a 36m single role of material. What did you get? Two 18m rolls? Two 13m and a 10m? One 27m and a 9m?

Thanks!
Dan

Kitfox Pilot
07-22-2021, 04:37 PM
I got two rolls , one was only 9 meters and the rest was on the other roll. They gave me 2 extra meters if I would take the 9meter roll. I have I'm guessing 4 or so meters left.

I'm sure you will love the pre wired panel!

yocum137
07-22-2021, 05:09 PM
Thank you, sir!

Eric Page
07-23-2021, 12:01 PM
Be sure that you're ready to cover when you order the Oratex. The folks in Anchorage are friendly and helpful, but they don't mention that there's a very short shelf life on the Oratex adhesive. Shipping from Germany is very fast (a week to the U.S. west coast), so lead time isn't really a problem.

Geek
07-23-2021, 04:18 PM
Be sure that you're ready to cover when you order the Oratex. The folks in Anchorage are friendly and helpful, but they don't mention that there's a very short shelf life on the Oratex adhesive. Shipping from Germany is very fast (a week to the U.S. west coast), so lead time isn't really a problem.

Janina was great when I called and she explained that timing is everything. When I called they did not have any silver in stock at the factory so I was going to have to wait if I wanted the silver. I had heard that getting the actual fabric had a bit of a wait to it so my plan was to order real early so I had it when I was ready. Since I was pulling good lead, I waited but only about two weeks (Germany had a national holiday when I was talking to her. Janina told me about the short shelf life but also said that they had the adhesive there in Anchorage so once I was ready, I could order it from her and get it pretty quickly. When the factory came up with enough to fill my order, I ordered everything but the adhesive. You are so right on the speed of the shipping from Germany. I got mine two days after I ordered it.

Kitfox Pilot
08-06-2021, 08:11 PM
Well I was making a panel patterned after the ones the factory sell but when I saw the kitfox panel in the speedster that Kyle Franklin flew for kitfox in 2017, it just hit me, that's what I want in mine!

I contacted a couple people that I knew had bought the factory wiring system and bought a panel that wasn't going to be used and started cutting
again. I laid it out last night and cut it today, not perfect but all my mistakes will be covered by what fits in the holes..:rolleyes:

Kitfox Pilot
08-07-2021, 05:41 PM
Everything mounted and ready to make the connections Monday I hope!

Benbell4140
08-07-2021, 08:17 PM
Looking nice Harlan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdldedcd
08-11-2021, 01:58 AM
Looking great Harlan. Like the layout. Are you going to paint or get it powder coated?

Kitfox Pilot
08-11-2021, 07:57 PM
Todd I hope to power coat and laser etched it if I can find someone to etch. Lots of power coaters here local.

Geek
08-12-2021, 05:27 PM
Looks good Harlan. You're really going to town on this.

Gary

Kitfox Pilot
08-12-2021, 07:07 PM
Quote: You are really going to town.

It doesn't seem like it when your here Gary..:(:) haha

We got it turned on and turned everything on through the Vertical Power, No smoke everything worked!
Now we have a flap breaker fault that's keeping me from continuing. I have no flap breaker or can I find anything turned on related to a flap breaker. I have given up and sent questions to vertical power. Hopefully its simple software problems.

Looks like you are getting along good on your project.

Geek
08-13-2021, 08:02 AM
Gosh that's frustrating. Hopefully they will get back with you today so that you can press on this weekend. Cause you farmers don't work weekends. Right? Have you looked at your VPX using the "VPX Configurator" software? Would be interesting to see what the "Device Status/Control" and the "System Status Faults" sections say. Almost sounds like your Current Fault is turned on for the Flaps even though you don't have any connected. But again I am guessing since I haven't hooked mine up yet and just looking at the manual and the Configurator docs. Let us all know what VPX says so when it happens to us we can say "Oh yeah - the Harlan effect".

Gary

Kitfox Pilot
08-13-2021, 10:37 AM
We are using the VPX Configurator and it just shows its a "flap breaker fault". No word back yet. We can't find anything to do with flaps that's turned on.
Oh well I'm sanding lift strut faring's now. That's a pleasant change from wiring. haha

Kitfox Pilot
08-17-2021, 04:17 PM
Just an up date on my v power problem.
I was told some units have the flaps breaker fault.. turn on flaps just like you had electric flaps and load the configuration then delete the flaps once it on.
This worked and all is working right with the Vertical Power now. Glad it wasn't something I had done wrong for a change.
Now...I downloaded the soft ware update for the G3X and loaded it fine and everything seemed good except now when I try to go to the setup menu it says PFD not connected.

If you didn't have to upgrade software it seems life would be better... Haha

Geek
08-17-2021, 06:20 PM
.........If you didn't have to upgrade software it seems life would be better... Haha

Words that IT people live by!!! Thanks for the update Harlan. Certain someone is going to have the same issue (probably me) and be thankful for the solution.

Gary

Kitfox Pilot
08-18-2021, 06:51 PM
Everything seems to be working on the electric side now so I felt like a change of pace.

Benbell4140
08-18-2021, 08:07 PM
Looking great! A part of me wishes I would have went with these struts vs the streamlined chromoly option. I guess I was feeling a little tired of body work and paint whenever I made that quick decision. You sure are getting close Harlan. It’s been fun watching your progress.

Kitfox Pilot
08-19-2021, 06:01 AM
Thanks Ben but a part of me is wishing I'd went with the streamlined chromoly option. Haha. I don't know why they are so high priced but the chromoly ones are really nice.

Kitfox Pilot
08-28-2021, 02:07 PM
First pic Fitting cowls on the plane wasn't to bad.
2nd pic, that front end looks like a near total rebuild.

Delta Whisky
08-28-2021, 07:02 PM
Harlan, that's going to take a lot of polishing!

Kitfox Pilot
08-28-2021, 07:31 PM
Haha, maybe I can leave it and start a new style??
Its going to take a few hours to rebuild that I'm afraid.

Shadowrider
08-28-2021, 08:36 PM
You can see what is suppose to be where you cut it...the raised portion is suppose to mark the section you cut off. Basically sand it down until it mates correctly.

jiott
08-28-2021, 08:51 PM
Be aware that the cut line is not straight across the whole front of the cowl. It jogs up as you go outer to inner, and then back down again. Wish I had a photo to show it.

Kitfox Pilot
08-29-2021, 06:38 AM
Thanks Dustin and Jim.
If I went with the cut line it was going to deform the rest more I thought so having to rebuild the front anyway I opted for slightly larger air holes in the front. More air for a 915 I thought would me better??

efwd
08-30-2021, 08:35 AM
Wow, the fiberglass looks like it is improved since I built. Brandon said they would. On my 912iS I am having to cover up stuff to keep the temps high enough. Wonder if you enlarge the holes, will you need to cover up stuff as well? I still have 1/2 of my oil cooler covered with aluminum tape and its 90 degrees outside. I never see oil temps over 250.

Shadowrider
08-30-2021, 09:36 AM
Superfill works great for working the cowling smooth. Lots of on and off and a sharpie does wonders to help mark where you need to sand.

yocum137
08-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Thanks Dustin and Jim.
If I went with the cut line it was going to deform the rest more I thought so having to rebuild the front anyway I opted for slightly larger air holes in the front. More air for a 915 I thought would me better??

Larger isn't necessarily better - you want to remove heat from the engine. A larger opening will slow the air down and won't transfer heat out of the engine into the air that's passing over the fins. The Tony Bingelis books talk about building cowls and lots of research has been done since the '30's. Of course, there are tons of resources at the EAA. This looks like a good starting point: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/BuilderResources/while-youre-building/building-articles/cowlings/cowling-installation-notes

Shadowrider
08-30-2021, 10:16 AM
I agree. Most of the problems with the cooling on the 915 cowls or a Intercoolered turbo engine is all the vents put on the cowls over pressuring the cowl. Adding larger and more vents, nacas for intake and a Intercooler is is just dividing the amount of air the cowl can take amongst intake openings/vents in essence lower the amount of air the through the radiator and oil cooler naca. Opening up the exit air will allow more air through the cowl. I dropped the back of the cowl creating a larger cowl flap and increasing exit air volume capacity.

yocum137
08-30-2021, 10:26 AM
But, didn't you end up running too cool and had to close off parts of the exit vent to get the temps up?

Shadowrider
08-30-2021, 10:38 AM
Ha! Yes but too cool is better than to hot! Moving as much air through the cowl was my goal to help lower intake temps. The by product is it’s cooling the oil and water more than needed. Building again I may go smaller oil cooler? Kitfox solution of extended the bottom lip is a good solution to those I have talked to. I made a louver to control oil temps and just installed a thermostat to control water temps. Winter flying the water temps are too cool to keep me warm.

Kitfox Pilot
08-30-2021, 02:44 PM
Wow, the fiberglass looks like it is improved since I built. Brandon said they would. On my 912iS I am having to cover up stuff to keep the temps high enough. Wonder if you enlarge the holes, will you need to cover up stuff as well? I still have 1/2 of my oil cooler covered with aluminum tape and its 90 degrees outside. I never see oil temps over 250.

I hope thats a problem but I hear the 915s are warm blooded....

Kitfox Pilot
08-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Larger isn't necessarily better - you want to remove heat from the engine. A larger opening will slow the air down and won't transfer heat out of the engine into the air that's passing over the fins. The Tony Bingelis books talk about building cowls and lots of research has been done since the '30's. Of course, there are tons of resources at the EAA. This looks like a good starting point: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/BuilderResources/while-youre-building/building-articles/cowlings/cowling-installation-notes

I won't have any problems closing the holes back down if need be. I'm only gaining 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length.

Kitfox Pilot
08-30-2021, 02:57 PM
I Used a med gloss black on the lift struts and glad I didn't use the high gloss. Got them back on the plane hopefully for good!

When I flew with Steve last winter out in Arizona, his lift strut fairings are the best I've ever seen. I tried Steve but they are not as nice as yours. haha

efwd
09-01-2021, 08:47 AM
Looking great Harlan. I visited Steve and even helped hold his fiberglass fairings while he sanded the trailing edges smooth and straight during his build. He has a lot of time and effort invested in those.

Kitfox Pilot
09-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Thanks Eddie. I know from doing mine that he has a ton of time in his but they are really nice. I was 30 hours on mine and I left the bottoms open.

DesertFox4
09-01-2021, 08:56 PM
Your fairings look good Harlan.👍
Thanks for the nice compliment on mine Harlan and Eddie and Eddie, thanks for the assist.👌

Phil Laker and Bill Prokes get huge kudos for the way my fairings worked out.

Kitfox Pilot
09-16-2021, 07:18 PM
My niece brought her kids over to see the plane and they lined up to help!

All had fun and nothing was damaged! :rolleyes::D

I don't know why the pic loads side ways on here, maybe Steve will correct it.

DesertFox4
09-16-2021, 08:42 PM
I straightened up the kids Harlan.😉

What a great crew to assist with your build. Guaranteed to get you in the air a couple days sooner.

airlina
09-17-2021, 02:05 AM
Now there is a Norman Rockwell picture if I ever saw one, make sure you save that one Harlan. Bruce N199CL

Kitfox Pilot
09-17-2021, 05:30 AM
Thanks Bruce and Steve. Steve you straightened the kids much fast then I did. haha

Kitfox Pilot
09-25-2021, 04:51 PM
The cowls are ready for paint. Not finished in these pictures but they are in real life. haha
Did you guys rivet in the cam lock fastener sockets before paint? Looks like after would be better but just checking.

Butts ribs are finished and mounted also.

tdldedcd
10-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Looking good Harlan. Looking forward to your first engine start. Getting close!!

Kitfox Pilot
10-04-2021, 10:15 AM
Thanks Todd. It is almost ready for a start but I need a prop first. Its been ordered since march.

efwd
10-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Harlan, It is probably sitting out here off the coast in one of the 50 container ships soaking in crude oil waiting for CA to come to their senses and let people return to work.

Kitfox Pilot
10-04-2021, 10:43 AM
It is a mess around our country for sure Eddie. The people in southern Illinois have pretty much disobeyed the governor and continued working this time. The prop comes from New Zealand and I think they shut down is anyone sneezes over there.

Kitfox Pilot
10-29-2021, 06:56 PM
We have been rained out from harvest a couple days.
I finally got the panel finished and the wiring tidied up a bit, only a couple camera wires left to run when I get them.
Windshield is next if anyone has any tips they would be welcome on that subject.

Benbell4140
10-29-2021, 07:03 PM
Looking great! I’m open to hints and tips on the windshield also.

Eric Page
10-30-2021, 06:20 AM
That's looking really good, Harlan. Nice work. What is the ball valve in the second photo used for?

Kitfox Pilot
10-30-2021, 10:15 AM
Thanks Eric, the ball valve opens and closes water for heat or no heat.

Kitfox Pilot
10-30-2021, 05:14 PM
We have forward vision when the tails on the ground!
Another words I got the backup camera put on pointing forward. Haha.
Wiring is done.........again.

yocum137
11-03-2021, 06:39 PM
what magic is this??? :d

Kitfox Pilot
11-03-2021, 07:21 PM
Its a wal mart magic backup camera. haha

efwd
11-04-2021, 08:53 AM
Hey Harlan. Is that as easy as just cutting the wire to the camera, putting pins on the wires and then plugging those into the plug that attaches to the PFD?

Kitfox Pilot
11-04-2021, 03:50 PM
Eddie, I bought an adapter at menards that coverts rca to the bnc on the back of the g3x. No cutting wires at all. Very simple.

Tempo Communications BNC Male to RCA Female Adapter - 2 Pack at Menards® (https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/electronics/audio-video-adapters/tempo-communications-bnc-male-to-rca-female-adapter-2-pack/pa9725/p-1563777024544-c-12568.htm?tid=6938636298580561520&ipos=2)

alexM
11-04-2021, 06:26 PM
There has to be inputs to that backup camera to show your projected path as you turn. You just need some type of position sensor on your rudder pedals to bring that to life...

Kitfox Pilot
11-04-2021, 07:15 PM
Now your getting fancy Alax. haha. That may be what the 2 red wires are for.
I just want rid of the lines.
Oh well its a 15 dollar camera and any rca type will plug into my wiring under the plane now so 5 min swap. I am looking for something with 60 or 90 degree field of view. I have a couple of 60 degree cams on my farm equipment for rear viewing while going down the road and 60s are same as looking your self. The wide 120 to 150 degree is normal in backup camera but you cant see far as looking at a car coming up behind you.
So far I can't find it in the small camera like a backup camera.

Kitfox Pilot
11-15-2021, 08:23 PM
I was dreading the windshield but it was a pretty easy install.
Now with John Evens help we are working on the glare shield.
So far I'd rather put in another windshield than another glare shield...

Delta Whisky
11-15-2021, 09:28 PM
Here's one more - let us know how close to John's it is - should print out full size. Attached here for the use of others as well. 29260

DesertFox4
11-15-2021, 09:43 PM
We feel your pain Harlan when it comes to fitting the glare shield so in Arizona, we took a different yet simple approach.

cut glares shield wide enough to slide straight in over the top of the panel up and against the windshield.
No twisting and warping and possibly scratching the expensive windshield or, damaging that glare shield.

Bond a supporting “plate” at correct level on cross tubes to support the glare shield when located in it’s proper location regarding depth and height. Easiest when windshield is removed after final trimming. This support ended just a hair to low so we trimmed it down substantially and used what was remaining as a platform to bond on top of a nice piece of aircraft spruce which I then shaped
to fill the glare shield cut out. Painted the wood support flat black so no glare while flying. Also wood is less likely to scratch the windshield then the original fiberglass support.

Glare shield trial fitting with support piece bonded in permanently.

Gluing glae shield material in place and trimming around cut out area for cross tubes.

final locating of glare shield on top of my custom panel.

All finished except maybe I’ll put same fabric as is on glare shield on the support panel. I did paint the support panel flat black for the time being. Great place for wires for GDL-39 antenna to penetrate glare shield. Fits nicely and makes glare shield removal and replacing a very simple process. Nothing can fall through the glares shield in that support area either. Just another way to make life easier visa vie glare shields. I love this little but so useful modification. Thanks to DesertFox1 and Bill Prokes for the idea.👍

Kitfox Pilot
11-16-2021, 06:19 AM
Here's one more - let us know how close to John's it is - should print out full size. Attached here for the use of others as well. 29260\

That is very nice Darrel, thanks.

Kitfox Pilot
11-16-2021, 06:22 AM
We feel your pain Harlan when it comes to fitting the glare shield so in Arizona, we took a different yet simple approach.

Fits nicely and makes glare shield removal and replacing a very simple process. Nothing can fall through the glares shield in that support area either. Just another way to make life easier visa vie glare shields. I love this little but so useful modification. Thanks to DesertFox1 and Bill Prokes for the idea.👍

My son and I discussed putting a plate of some kind in and cutting glare shield out square, looks like a great way to do it . That's very nice Steve!

SomeDay7
11-16-2021, 03:19 PM
I think I like and will do that modification and actually cut the carpet on top the correct size. It is flexible enough to form around the supports. You could always use some hook and loop or double face tape to hold the carpet down in that area.

jiott
11-16-2021, 11:06 PM
Again since I believe in the KISS principle, I cutout the "Y" shaped notch in the glare shield just like the build manual says (its really not that hard to do). The only thing I did different is when I glued the fabric to the glare shield, I did not cut the fabric out to the edges of the Y notch. I just made a single slit down the center of the Y shape. The glare shield is very easy to put on and off; when it is on, the fabric slit mostly closes up around the X braces so there is very little open area to look ugly or the swallow dropped objects. Why make a bunch of extra work.

SomeDay7
11-17-2021, 09:48 AM
Show use picture. Perfect.

jiott
11-17-2021, 11:32 AM
Sorry I don't have any pictures.
I hoped my explanation was simple enough. Just cut the "Y" notch as you normally would do. Glue the fabric over the whole glare shield, completely covering over the notch. Then just cut a single slit in the fabric down the center of the notch including each Y branch. Slip the glare shield into place and then poke the fabric edges around the "Y" notch down around the X tubing with your fingers.

Maybe the next time I have the glare shield off I can take some photos. Photos would not be very good with the shield in place.

Kitfox Pilot
11-27-2021, 05:58 PM
Ordered in march. Got it on and programmed it today! Ready to try it out! but it will be a little while longer....
We are hoping it was worth the wait!

Delta Whisky
11-27-2021, 08:41 PM
Now that is serious progress. Looking forward to hearing it run. Congrats.

efwd
11-28-2021, 07:17 AM
Harlan, without a doubt it will be worth the wait. Looks awesome!

Kitfox Pilot
11-29-2021, 08:06 PM
We got the turtle deck installed with hinge. The hinge is quite a task I will say..
Flaperons are on for good I hope also. I am happy with the paint match.
Trying to get to the weight and balance point so I can weigh it and get the paper work sent in!

Also got the cowls finish fitted.

Benbell4140
11-29-2021, 08:20 PM
She’s looking great Harlan!

Kitfox Pilot
11-29-2021, 08:54 PM
Thanks Ben, how did your windshield install go?

alexM
11-29-2021, 09:38 PM
That looks awesome Harlan. Looks almost done.

Benbell4140
11-30-2021, 05:10 AM
Thanks Ben, how did your windshield install go?

Much better than the glare shield. Still fighting with that. It just doesn’t fit.

Denalifox
11-30-2021, 08:56 AM
The glare shield is a pain in the butt. Mine needs to be redone however its frozen and wont fly until spring. Subzero temps for weeks takes the fun right out of flying. haha

Kitfox Pilot
12-03-2021, 07:03 PM
One of the easy projects, I thought, turned out to be a 3 day 15-hour project to hang the doors. Lots of things have to be done before this can be done. Butt rib close outs needed to be installed, the stainless door opening trim needed to be installed and all the hardware had to be painted before mounting.
They are on and I am glad to check another item off the list.

Kitfox Pilot
12-09-2021, 08:20 PM
Paperwork is in,

The following AWC application was submitted online.

Applicant Name: Harlan Payne
Application Type: New Application
Application Number: 10272021-15

Dar is talking end of next week......

tdldedcd
12-09-2021, 10:43 PM
Sooo close. Great job Harlan!!

yocum137
12-10-2021, 10:56 AM
Jealous! Nice job Harlan! Fingers crossed the DAR doesn't find any issues!

alexM
12-10-2021, 12:05 PM
Woo Hoo! Way to go.

Kitfox Pilot
12-10-2021, 01:34 PM
First start up!
2 small oil fitting seeps that we tighten up and all was good.

I sure wanted to take it out to the runway.....

We even had the humidity halo working today!

SomeDay7
12-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Exciting times Harlan. Thanks for all the updates!

tdldedcd
12-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Looking good Harlan. So excited for you. Good luck with DAR next week!

efwd
12-10-2021, 01:57 PM
Nice Job Harlan! thanks for pointing out the halos. I'm confused. it seems with all the horse training and ranch work things would have been delayed. No sooner than you return to work, It's Airworthy?! Whats going on over there? Looking forward to first flight stories.

Benbell4140
12-10-2021, 02:55 PM
Congrats Harlan. Looks like you now have an airplane, not a kit! Super exciting

DesertFox4
12-10-2021, 05:12 PM
Great job Harlan, Susan and crew. You’re at the build finish line and Phase one starting gate.
Hope your A.W. inspection goes well.🤞

PapuaPilot
12-10-2021, 06:55 PM
That's really exciting Harlan! Can't wait to hear about the first flight.

Kitfox Pilot
12-10-2021, 08:44 PM
Nice Job Harlan! thanks for pointing out the halos. I'm confused. it seems with all the horse training and ranch work things would have been delayed. No sooner than you return to work, It's Airworthy?! Whats going on over there? Looking forward to first flight stories.

Haha. We don't have horses or a ranch, we just grain farm. We have been 5 to 6 hours a day since harvest ended on nov 4th and it seems everything has been coming together the way it should. I hope!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

airlina
12-11-2021, 04:23 AM
Harlan, went back to your first post that was on 4/11/2020 so thats just over a year and a half for your build, not too shabby in my book . Exciting times ahead , you will enjoy that Kitfox. After 18 years of flying my Series 5 , I still can't wait for my next flight. Have fun . Bruce N199CL

Kitfox Pilot
12-11-2021, 06:45 AM
Thanks Bruce I hope I get to fly mine for 18 years like you have. I think I'll buy factory built next time...... HaHaHa

efwd
12-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Wait till you fly the plane you and the wife built together for the first time. You might start thinking about a second build.

Delta Whisky
12-11-2021, 09:42 AM
Harlan - first, congrats on a job well done. Second, the first step to healing is expression of the problem. Something like: "I have a problem, I'm a builder. It consumes me night and day. My next project starts . . . . .":D

LetMeFly
12-11-2021, 08:36 PM
One of the easy projects, I thought, turned out to be a 3 day 15-hour project to hang the doors. Lots of things have to be done before this can be done. Butt rib close outs needed to be installed, the stainless door opening trim needed to be installed and all the hardware had to be painted before mounting.
They are on and I am glad to check another item off the list.

Hi Harlan,
You show the stainless steel door trim here and in your video. I can't find that in the catalog and when I called Kitfox, the girl (sounded young) I talked to didn't know what I was talking about. Where did you get them? If it's a Kitfox part, what's the part number, please?

Thanks...

Kitfox Pilot
12-12-2021, 07:30 AM
Well I had seen them on a kitfox at a show and I called later to kitfox and asked Debra about the stainless door trim caps and she sold me some. So I don't have a number of any kind. Just ask Debra for the stainless trim Harlan got I guess?

P Johnson
12-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Here is the part number, 99017.000 Door Channel Stainless Steel, you will need two if you are only doing the bottom sill of the door and two more if you are doing the rear frame.

jiott
12-12-2021, 09:59 PM
FYI, I made my own door trim cap strips from 0.016" ALUMINUM. It bent very easily in a sheet metal bending brake. Has been on the plane now for 1000+ hours, 8.5 years with no sign of wear or corrosion. In my opinion it is a great alternative to SS.

LetMeFly
12-13-2021, 10:20 PM
Ah! Good to know. Thanks!

Kitfox Pilot
12-14-2021, 08:17 PM
Harlan the first step to healing is expression of the problem. Something like: "I have a problem, I'm a builder. It consumes me night and day. My next project starts . . . . .":D

This has been me for 18 months! But the next project part has not entered my mind yet...:rolleyes:

Kitfox Pilot
12-20-2021, 12:38 PM
I know one guy is this pic sure is HAPPY!

SomeDay7
12-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Congrats! Harlan

alexM
12-20-2021, 01:08 PM
Must be the DAR that is happy because he has a fat stack of cash in his pocket!

Congrats Harlan! Well deserved smile there.

Kitfox Pilot
12-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Alax would you say 239 is over charging? He drove 2 hours and charged me milage +95 dollars and said he would take donations for his eaa chapter. I did make a donation!
I didn't know his price till he got here because the next DAR is 3.5 hours away so I was guessing high either way, but I was very happy when he told me the price. He's 80 and just enjoys doing them but this is one of the last ones he said.

Geek
12-20-2021, 02:07 PM
Epic day for you Harlan and family. Especially your parts finder!! Bet she's ready to fly rather than find 90015 in the Brake Kit Box. Nice work!!! Congrats.

Gary

tdldedcd
12-20-2021, 02:09 PM
Congrats Harlan. Really excited for you buddy. Well done. Let's get her up in the air!

alexM
12-20-2021, 02:14 PM
Alax would you say 239 is over charging? He drove 2 hours and charged me milage +95 dollars and said he would take donations for his eaa chapter. I did make a donation!
I didn't know his price till he got here because the next DAR is 3.5 hours away so I was guessing high either way, but I was very happy when he told me the price. He's 80 and just enjoys doing them but this is one of the last ones he said.

Heck no, that's cheap!

Delta Whisky
12-20-2021, 02:35 PM
Harlan - Congrats; what a milestone. And, what you paid for in DAR services - the best ever from my limited experiences.

Kitfox Pilot
12-20-2021, 03:57 PM
Epic day for you Harlan and family. Especially your parts finder!! Bet she's ready to fly rather than find 90015 in the Brake Kit Box. Nice work!!! Congrats.

Gary

That's for sure Gary, thanks. Haha

Kitfox Pilot
12-20-2021, 03:57 PM
Harlan - Congrats; what a milestone. And, what you paid for in DAR services - the best ever from my limited experiences.

Thanks for all your help Darrel!

Flybyjim
12-20-2021, 06:19 PM
What a day, another step forward, smiles abound. As for the $$$ I have paid 5 times that here in Pa and no mention of working with an EAA club. Your guy is a true aviation from the heart type, perfect match for you and your wife Harlan.

Kitfox Pilot
12-20-2021, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words Jim. Frank the DAR was truly an aviation lover and a helper. He's an a&p , retired from TWA and has flown almost every plane I've heard of.

rv9ralph
12-20-2021, 08:14 PM
Congratulations Harlan, a well deserved approval… next? Flight! Enjoy your accomplishment.

Ralph

DesertFox4
12-20-2021, 08:30 PM
Congrats Harlan, Susan. Happy for you both and your crew.

Kitfox Pilot
12-20-2021, 08:51 PM
Congratulations Harlan, a well deserved approval… next? Flight! Enjoy your accomplishment.

Ralph

Next is paint the cowls and finish the interior. Then I'm heading to Texas sometime late January, when ever he calls, to get my tailwheel rating in a kit fox so my insurance will cover my test period. Then home to fly Farmfox!

Kitfox Pilot
12-20-2021, 08:52 PM
Congrats Harlan, Susan. Happy for you both and your crew.

Thanks for all the help from you and your great web site Steve!

Jcard
12-20-2021, 08:55 PM
Nice work!
Really enjoyed reading and watching the tube videos.
Now for the good part.

Eric Page
12-20-2021, 09:22 PM
Congrats, Harlan! Well done. For the price you paid, it'd be cheaper to fly Frank to the west coast, rent him a car and pay for his hotel and meals than to pay what some DARs are demanding these days.

Looking forward to your first flight report and video.

airlina
12-21-2021, 03:31 AM
Way to go Harlan, a fitting Christmas present (well earned by you and your family) , just watched your engine run video last night and she looked like she was eager to get airborne and if that pickup truck tiedown would have busted , you would have been airborne in about 20 feet! Have fun Bruce N199CL

Kitfox Pilot
12-21-2021, 06:12 AM
Bruce, when I did the 2 min 5800 rpm run following the book procedures I was thinking maybe I should have taken the plastic off the windshield if it launches. haha

Yes Eric I was blessed to find Frank from the prices I'd been hearing.

Jody, thanks for the kind works and I hope the good part isn't too far off.

Denalifox
12-21-2021, 09:28 AM

Jeez and I thought 840$ was cheap. haha. Congrats Harlan!

Kitfox Pilot
12-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all your help Lauren!

bbs428
12-21-2021, 07:54 PM
Congratz on a great build! Appreciate the videos.

All the best on your 1st flight!

Kitfox Pilot
12-22-2021, 05:09 AM
Thanks Brett, I'm looking forward to that first flight!

Shadowrider
12-23-2021, 05:18 PM
Awesome job! Your going to love youR STI and the boost is going to put a smile on your face!

Kitfox Pilot
12-23-2021, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Shadowrider; the boost is going to put a smile on your face![/QUOTE]\

It already has even when tied to a truck. Haha

Kitfox Pilot
12-28-2021, 06:06 PM
I made exact miniature replicas of the wing tips and mounted them on balsa wood and bonded inside the flaperon ends. I am happy with the way they turned out.
I just took a pic of the wingtip and used the computer to size it to what I wanted and printed out a pattern.

PapuaPilot
12-28-2021, 08:45 PM
I really like that Harlan. Which type of filament did you use for this?

Kitfox Pilot
12-29-2021, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking about which type of Filament? You will have to dumb it down a little for me. haha

4Hummer
12-29-2021, 08:37 AM
I really like that Harlan. Which type of filament did you use for this?

I don't think he 3D Print the attachment piece, Looks like he copied the inside contour of the airfoil, transferred that to his computer, and printed out the shape to trace onto wood....

No Filament. I know I got excited too as I have a 3D Printer myself

Kitfox Pilot
12-29-2021, 10:10 AM
You are correct, just traced the pattern onto plywood. thanks

109JB
12-29-2021, 11:54 AM
I 3d printed the flaperon end caps on my Kitfox 4 project. First picture is on the airplane with the wings folded and they fit great. Second is what the 3d model looked like. I used PLA for these because I was going to paint them, but decided I like them black. Since the airfoil is symmetric, the rounded end is perfect from being a body of revolution 180 degrees. The part that sticks inside the flaperon has a step the thickness of the skin so everything is flush. Since they are unpainted PLA, I'll keep an eye on them and redo them in ABS if needed. The attached zip file is the stl file in case anyone else wants to print some.

PapuaPilot
12-30-2021, 07:40 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking about which type of Filament? You will have to dumb it down a little for me. haha

Like others have said, I thought you 3D printed these.

Kitfox Pilot
01-13-2022, 06:25 PM
Finally back on the plane. We got the cowls painted and mounted. Still have some air duct seals to put in but getting closer.

Kitfox Pilot
01-21-2022, 05:01 PM
Finally got the inspection covers finished. I went ahead and put the brushes in that slow the drafts. Thanks Jim Ott.

Ready to work on interior now.

Geek
01-22-2022, 08:25 AM
Yeah Jim did us a solid when he shared that little tidbit eh? I literally ordered the stuff after I read it and was not even close to being ready for it. Looks good Harlan. So you decided to cover the covers with the Oratex rather than paint them? Also did you use the tool to do the edges or the block of wood trick that John Evans used?

Gary

alexM
01-22-2022, 10:41 AM
Gary,
I've got that roller tool if you want to borrow it. Works great.

Kitfox Pilot
01-22-2022, 11:08 AM
Gary I used the vice grip with rollers on them. I would get the other kind if I did it again, not impressed with these. I was going to paint but I knew this would match good so I just covered. Harlan

Eric Page
01-22-2022, 01:53 PM
I've got that roller tool if you want to borrow it. Works great.
Make sure you send it back, Gary. I'm gonna need it too! :rolleyes:

Geek
01-22-2022, 03:44 PM
Make sure you send it back, Gary. I'm gonna need it too! :rolleyes:

What? Fine if that's the way you want to be about it. Sorry for the hijack Harlan but hey - I got access to a tool!!!!

G

Flybyjim
01-22-2022, 05:25 PM
Hi Harlan,
Did I see a week ago or so that your DAR was already looking over your plane, or perhaps that was some else?

Kitfox Pilot
01-22-2022, 05:38 PM
Yes sir Jim, she is legal to fly! But I have to get a tail wheel rating in a kitfox before it flies for insurance purposes. I'm putting the finishing touches on while I wait.

DesertFox4
01-22-2022, 05:43 PM
Get that endorsement, fly off the the 40 hours and head out here Harlan. We'll send you back home in the spring with 200 hours on the hobbs and all kinds of desert adventures.
Your strip will be ready by then also.

Kitfox Pilot
01-22-2022, 06:17 PM
That would be Great Steve! But I'm afraid I won't make it this spring. Haha

Kitfox Pilot
01-26-2022, 05:19 PM
Seats are ready to install!
I think leather fabric covering is finished.

SomeDay7
01-26-2022, 05:46 PM
That looks really nice Harlan!

Kitfox Pilot
01-26-2022, 06:00 PM
Thanks Jim. That center fabric is a bear to get on right.

Benbell4140
01-26-2022, 07:27 PM
Thanks Jim. That center fabric is a bear to get on right.

Excellent color choice [emoji4]

We almost match
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/2e10f7ac43c1f0699274d3d83c3fb8d6.jpg

Kitfox Pilot
01-26-2022, 07:56 PM
It must be that great minds think alike thing. haha

Kitfox Pilot
02-01-2022, 08:04 PM
First time in the finished interior, can't help but smile!

VGs are next thing on the list. Man if I don't get my tailwheel rating soon I'll have chrome spinners on this thing...

March is the date now to get in for kitfox tailwheel training.

Geek
02-01-2022, 08:13 PM

Suitable for Alaskan 29" Tundra Tires. I'll make you a good deal Harlan!!

Kitfox Pilot
02-01-2022, 08:17 PM
Now you got me looking!

Man I would hate to have to clean those!

Kitfox Pilot
02-14-2022, 06:19 PM
Finally got around to finishing the interior. Its all in and ready to go!

Flybyjim
02-14-2022, 06:39 PM
Very nice,

SomeDay7
02-14-2022, 06:53 PM
Looks great Harlan. How did you do the slot for the flap adjustment. Some have left extra fabric in the slot. I think I will trim it with the perimeter of the slot.

Kitfox Pilot
02-14-2022, 07:33 PM
Thanks FlybyJim Jim.

Someday Jim I cut my slot border but I wish I had wrapped it inside for a cleaner look but I'm not sure I had room for that.

Geek
02-15-2022, 08:38 AM
What's the deal Harlan? The right seat doesn't get to fly? No stick? Susan does all that work and you snake the stick on her side?

Geek

Redline
02-15-2022, 08:54 AM
Looks great Harlan! That's the same color scheme we ordered for ours. Nice to see it in pictures to know how it's going to look.

Kitfox Pilot
02-15-2022, 11:15 AM
Geek I put in a quick attach passenger stick in cause it much easier to get in and out for those who haven't practiced getting in a kitfox.

Redline I didn't care much for the seat color when I opened it in the box but I think it looks good in the plane.

Kitfox Pilot
02-19-2022, 08:13 PM
Trying my first knifeless vinyl wrap install. So far, I like the ease of installation. Still looking for the right green but getting closer.

alexM
02-20-2022, 10:14 AM
What is knifeless vinyl?

Kitfox Pilot
02-20-2022, 02:15 PM
Alex you lay down a tape with thread in it in a pattern, cover it with vinyl and pull the strings to cut, discard anything outside the string cuts and you're done. Works great. Youtube is full of good examples.

Kitfox Pilot
02-24-2022, 08:06 PM
I received more vinyl and pin striping in the mail this week and we took time to apply half the plane. Susan approves so I guess this is what it will be...

Redline
02-25-2022, 08:23 AM
Looks really good Harlan! I think I might do this for one of the colors on our build. Had never heard of knifeless vinyl tape and it looks trick.

- Jason

Geek
02-25-2022, 09:23 AM
Looks great Harlan! You are doing a great job and it shows. I can only hope mine looks as nice!

Gary

Kitfox Pilot
02-25-2022, 09:53 AM
It is easy Jason. One thing I would do if I hadn't painted yet is get sample wraps and match paint to it because nothing matches my green paint as good as I like but I could have matched there green if I had known but I didn't know at the time.

Kitfox Pilot
02-25-2022, 09:59 AM
Looks great Harlan! You are doing a great job and it shows. I can only hope mine looks as nice!

Gary

Gary from what I've seen on your build it will be better than mine but I sure thank you for the compliment!

alexM
02-25-2022, 10:19 AM
That looks great Harlan.

I watched your video. That is some pretty amazing stuff. I was confused at first about why you would want to stick it on then trim, but since you have to piece sections together it all makes sense.

Kitfox Pilot
02-25-2022, 10:34 AM
I like it so far if it stays on! haha

Kitfox Pilot
03-05-2022, 04:57 PM
I don't have a door big enough to get the Farm fox in without folding the wings and I didn't want to do that every time I wanted to fly. So for now I built a cart to wheel it in and out sideways. It works pretty good!
Its all build out of junk, I mean surplus steel, pile. Only had to buy the 4 wheelbarrow tires.

Flybyjim
03-05-2022, 05:13 PM
Nice, I had built one very much like yours to pull in a champ wing first several year back. I had a removable tow bar that could be hooked to either end to attach to my lawn tractor to pull in and pull out of the building.

alexM
03-05-2022, 06:11 PM
Seems like quite a bit of extra drag :-)

My uncle used to have a pristine '27 Model T. He had some of those three wheel castor things from Harbor Freight to store it crosswise in the back of his garage. 80 years old pushing the car into the back corner like an air hockey puck.

BTW that plane looks beautiful.

Kitfox Pilot
03-05-2022, 06:45 PM
Nice, I had built one very much like yours to pull in a champ wing first several year back. I had a removable tow bar that could be hooked to either end to attach to my lawn tractor to pull in and pull out of the building.

We pushed it in Jim but the UTV will get a push bar made because it doesn't push easy on the gravel outside the door. haha

Thanks Alax!

yocum137
03-06-2022, 03:20 PM
Looks slick, Harlan!

A little off topic - did your chrome spinner come with the Airmaster or was that a separate purchase? My prop’s on order… should get here in August/September. 😖

Kitfox Pilot
03-06-2022, 04:05 PM
Looks slick, Harlan!

A little off topic - did your chrome spinner come with the Airmaster or was that a separate purchase? My prop’s on order… should get here in August/September. 😖

You have a choice of carbon fiber, polished aluminum or paintable something, not sure what its made of.

yocum137
03-06-2022, 05:08 PM
Oh! I’ll reach out to Debra and get details. Thanks!

Kitfox Pilot
03-09-2022, 06:33 PM
We got FarmFox out and did a full dress rehearsal checking the operating temps on water and oil with the cowls on. Then she got her first look at the runway as I taxied for 30 mins getting the feel for her after I broke in the brakes. She feels great! Hard to keep her on the ground.

Delta Whisky
03-09-2022, 06:37 PM
Looks really nice Harlan.

Shadowrider
03-10-2022, 05:23 PM
Looks great! Get that bird in the air and start putting some time on it! When is the first flight?

Kitfox Pilot
03-11-2022, 06:32 AM
Looks great! Get that bird in the air and start putting some time on it! When is the first flight?

You know I'm ready to do that! Still waiting on Kitfox tailwheel endorsement for my insurance to cover first flight. John from texas told me march after time changed so hopefully in the next couple weeks....then the first flight.

DesertFox4
03-11-2022, 08:54 PM
Gotta be difficult to wait for training now that the Kitfox and the strip are ready. Weather and insurance companies often dictate when first flights occur. The two last ducks to fall in line. We are excited for you Harlan but prudence be the key word for your first flight. You’re a farmer so I know God gave some good measure of patience. With that engine and wing combination, even a higher speed taxi may put you airborne before intended.😲 Keep that new strip in good condition. I hope to set down on it in the not too distant future. 😉
You and Susan have an open invitation to come and fly my backyard again. Winter is best of course. Lots of fun spots to get those big tires dirty.
BTW, loved your YouTube videos. You’re going to have one incredible Kitfox.

My backyard this afternoon.

Shadowrider
03-11-2022, 09:22 PM
Agreed! With the combo you have things happen fast. Going to take a lot to keep it on the ground.

Jcard
03-12-2022, 12:26 AM
Renewed my medical yesterday, doc lady asked what do you fly?
Told her kitfox 7.
She said her husband helped a friend build one and it was badly ground looped first flight.
Little training might not hurt anything.
Your plane has everything I wish mine did.

Kitfox Pilot
03-12-2022, 06:47 AM
Gotta be difficult to wait for training now that the Kitfox and the strip are ready. Weather and insurance companies often dictate when first flights occur. The two last ducks to fall in line. We are excited for you Harlan but prudence be the key word for your first flight. You’re a farmer so I know God gave some good measure of patience. With that engine and wing combination, even a higher speed taxi may put you airborne before intended.😲 Keep that new strip in good condition. I hope to set down on it in the not too distant future. 😉
You and Susan have an open invitation to come and fly my backyard again. Winter is best of course. Lots of fun spots to get those big tires dirty.
BTW, loved your YouTube videos. You’re going to have one incredible Kitfox.

My backyard this afternoon.

Thanks so much Steve, you have always been a great inspiration to us during our build. Patience is being taught....haha. Hope to fly with you someday!

Kitfox Pilot
03-12-2022, 06:51 AM
Agreed! With the combo you have things happen fast. Going to take a lot to keep it on the ground.

Yes it does want to fly. Thanks

Renewed my medical yesterday, doc lady asked what do you fly?
Told her kitfox 7.
She said her husband helped a friend build one and it was badly ground looped first flight.
Little training might not hurt anything.
Your plane has everything I wish mine did.

I agree with training, it coming... Thanks

Kitfox Pilot
03-19-2022, 05:51 PM
The VG's are on.

DesertFox4
03-20-2022, 10:26 AM
Well now you pretty much have a helicopter Harlan.😉

Kitfox Pilot
03-20-2022, 11:24 AM
Well now you pretty much have a helicopter Harlan.😉

Haha, Hope to land slow soon!

yocum137
03-28-2022, 08:46 AM
Harlan - Gonna ask you the same question I asked Dustin - how much paint did you use on the cowl, flaperons, lift-struts, gear, etc.? A quart or 2? A gallon? Thanks!

Kitfox Pilot
03-29-2022, 06:05 PM
Harlan - Gonna ask you the same question I asked Dustin - how much paint did you use on the cowl, flaperons, lift-struts, gear, etc.? A quart or 2? A gallon? Thanks!

One gallon 2k primer, 1/2 gallon 2k base, 1/2 gallon clear. I have primer and clear left.

yocum137
03-30-2022, 10:16 AM
One gallon 2k primer, 1/2 gallon 2k base, 1/2 gallon clear. I have primer and clear left.

Thank you, sir!

Kitfox Pilot
04-10-2022, 07:21 PM
First flight is in the log book!

Shadowrider
04-10-2022, 07:26 PM
Nice! You need to give us more than that though??

PapuaPilot
04-10-2022, 07:36 PM
Congrats Harlen! We have been waiting to hear this news.

bbs428
04-10-2022, 07:47 PM
Bravo Zulu Harlen! You made it look easy!

Congrats! :D

Kitfox Pilot
04-10-2022, 07:51 PM
Nice! You need to give us more than that though??

Well it was an uneventful flight, which is good! Oil temps got to the top of the green so I have to do some looking at my sender or thermostat? Taking my heat gun with me to check real temps first.
I moved to the airport for a while so I could fly it often to get used to it. It rains about every other day here in the spring so my runway stays wet this time of the year.
Water temp set at 190 for the whole 45 min flight. Everything else worked as it should. Need a trip tab on the rudder for a little right rudder in level flight.
I'm sure I will learn more with more flights.
Thanks for all the help everyone to get it in the air!

Kitfox Pilot
04-10-2022, 07:51 PM
Congrats Harlen! We have been waiting to hear this news.

Thanks Phil you have helped a lot!

Kitfox Pilot
04-10-2022, 08:01 PM
Bravo Zulu Harlen! You made it look easy!

Congrats! :D

Thank You very much!

Shadowrider
04-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Nicely done....congratulations! You got 40 hours to dial it in now!

rv9ralph
04-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Congratulations Harlan on a job well done!

jiott
04-10-2022, 09:22 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy; always appreciative of help and willing to help and encourage others.

alexM
04-10-2022, 09:38 PM
Nicely done Harlan

jrevens
04-10-2022, 10:04 PM
That's really great Harlan! We know what a good feeling it is. It's a beautiful bird!

Flybyjim
04-11-2022, 04:46 AM
Well done Harlan, enjoy this next journey.

efwd
04-11-2022, 05:25 AM
Awesome Harlan! Congratulations!

Kitfox Pilot
04-11-2022, 05:34 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Your advice during the build has been priceless when one knows very little about what he is doing! I hope I can help others along the way as you all have helped me.
Hope we can fly together some day! Harlan

DesertFox4
04-11-2022, 09:18 AM
Congratulations Harlan and Susan. It is always and still the most exciting thing that happens here. To watch someone meet and shake hands with a life long dream never gets mundane. You made it happen. We all knew you would. Incredible effort. Great job. Thanks for taking us along in your build log and in the many YouTube videos we watched and enjoyed.
Can't wait to see the Farm Fox in person. Enjoy every flight my friend. The sky's been waiting for you.

Geek
04-11-2022, 09:24 AM
Excellent Harlan!! What a great family effort and you shared it with us all!!

Gary

Kitfox Pilot
04-11-2022, 11:06 AM
Congratulations Harlan and Susan. It is always and still the most exciting thing that happens here. To watch someone meet and shake hands with a life long dream never gets mundane. You made it happen. We all knew you would. Incredible effort. Great job. Thanks for taking us along in your build log and in the many YouTube videos we watched and enjoyed.
Can't wait to see the Farm Fox in person. Enjoy every flight my friend. The sky's been waiting for you.

I really don't know how one would build a kitfox without your forum Steve. Thanks for keeping everything going!

Gary thanks for your support through the build!

bumsteer
04-11-2022, 12:24 PM
Great job and great looking airplane Harlan! Hope to see it in person at Airventure someday.

Rick

Kitfox Pilot
04-15-2022, 07:19 PM
Susan has been after me to replace the windsock for a while. I kept telling her I would when I was ready to use it. Well it's time to use it so we'll get it done!
5.5 hours on the Farmfox and we are slowly getting acquainted. Still don't have those 3 point landings down but I'm thankful for those shocks! haha

Kitfox Pilot
05-03-2022, 03:16 PM
At 17 hours flight time my fuel pumps starting making a slight noise that I could hear so I decided to send them in for the recall rotax has on fuel pumps. I was going to send them at the 25 hour oil change but the slight noise changed my mind.

Flying is going pretty good and I am getting better at my landings, slow but sure. Haha
Leading edge said one day turn around so hopefully we won't be down too long.

Kitfox Pilot
05-03-2022, 03:24 PM
Just some numbers on Farmfox.

Farmfox will cruise at 100mph on 5.5 gal.

It costs a lot to go much faster.

The yellow volt warning was because I had the yellow arc starting at 14v and that's where the volts are at when charging. It's in the green now.

Shadowrider
05-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Looking good! We found you hit a drag wall at 100mph and trying to go much faster you have to burn lots of fuel. Dang though, the 915 egts are crazy hot! Hard to get used to the Rotax and the high EGT's. Glad your flight testing is going well. I keep forgetting but I can copy my autopilot settings and that will help get you close if your interested? Get that AOA calibrated as its the best tool for landing!

Kitfox Pilot
05-03-2022, 07:05 PM
AOA is calibrated and works great. Autopilot settings would be great. The EGTs almost scared me at first but Rotax told me anywhere in the green is good.

Kitfox Pilot
05-22-2022, 08:04 PM
We had exhaust stains starting on the farmfox so we thought we had better stop it.
I almost clear coated this side hearing that the turbo engines stain the oratex pretty bad but I didn't while it would have been easy laying on its side. haha.
We have it done now so I hope we can clean the stains now off the paint. Took 10 oz of clear to give it 3 coats. Semi gloss matches perfect with oratex.

Clicking off a few more hours in the air now that the crops are planted!

Kitfox Pilot
07-03-2022, 02:05 PM
Got a list of people to give rides to now! Looking forward to taking the family first.

DesertFox4
07-03-2022, 03:46 PM
Congrats Harlan on reaching Phase 2.

If you don’t mind, put me down for a flight in the future. 👍

Kitfox Pilot
07-03-2022, 06:22 PM
Congrats Harlan on reaching Phase 2.

If you don’t mind, put me down for a flight in the future. 👍

It would be my pleasure!

efwd
07-05-2022, 06:13 AM
Congrats Harlan and Susan! Enjoy your new ride.

Kitfox Pilot
07-05-2022, 10:52 AM
Congrats Harlan and Susan! Enjoy your new ride.

Thanks Eddie!

Delta Whisky
07-05-2022, 08:07 PM
Congrats Harlan - you done good!

Kitfox Pilot
07-06-2022, 05:18 AM
Congrats Harlan - you done good!

Thanks Darrel for all your help!

Kitfox Pilot
07-10-2022, 06:54 AM
Well the Archer I have flown since 1994 headed for its new home yesterday. Sad to see it go but I got over it when I hopped in the Kitfox to fly home!

DesertFox4
07-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Nice aircraft Harlan. Hope it found a good home.
I learned in a 1978 Warrior, a Tomahawk and our J3 Cub. Had about 10 hours as a student pilot in an Archer and really enjoyed flying it. Nice to have the extra 20 h.p. and auto pilot.

Kitfox Pilot
07-21-2022, 06:35 PM
I finally got Susan in the Farmfox. She has always flown with me for 30 some years but never asks to go so last night when she saw it was supposed to be in the 60s this morning, she said it would be a good day to fly! So, I was flying some parts about 40 miles away and then was headed to the river to look at some sandbars. I scratched the sandbars and just made the parts run with her as co-pilot. It was a great morning!

rv9ralph
07-21-2022, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a fun flight... just what the Kitfox is good at!

Geek
07-21-2022, 07:05 PM
Judging from the grin on her face I would say she is happy to be there. Always good to have a good copilot!! Your son looked a bit happy on the video as well.

G

jrevens
07-21-2022, 07:38 PM
That’s nice Harlan! She does look happy… good goin’!

Kitfox Pilot
07-22-2022, 06:04 AM
That’s nice Harlan! She does look happy… good goin’!

Thanks everyone.

John I will always remember these pics you posted of giving your wife a ride after 49 years of marriage. You can't top a smile from a loved one! One of the greatest posts ever IMO.

DesertFox4
07-22-2022, 10:53 AM
Very nice Harlan and Susan.😎 She picked the perfect morning for her first of many flights. I know it’s your favorite flight so far Harlan. The culmination of a dream. So happy for you all. Enjoy every flight my friends.👍

I’m posting you and Susan’s first flight video here Harlan.
By the way, Duke is very well behaved. Hope to meet him and the rest of the family.

https://youtu.be/ZxEpbYYBTiE

Kitfox Pilot
07-22-2022, 05:10 PM
Thanks Steve! I'm looking forward to your visit!

Delta Whisky
07-22-2022, 07:44 PM
Like the dollies!! Glad to see that Susan made it up in the FarmFox.

Kitfox Pilot
08-26-2022, 05:23 PM
First sand bar landing. All went well and can't wait till the next time!

I'm only upside down until Steve flips me back right side up!

DesertFox4
08-26-2022, 05:30 PM
I right sided you Harlan as the 915 does not have inverted fuel or oil. You may now safely depart the sand bar.
Have fun.

jrevens
08-26-2022, 06:04 PM
So good to see you enjoying the fruits of your labor Harlan! I also deeply appreciate your kind comments about the pictures I posted of my wife (it's been 50 years now!). Your posts and the ways that Susan helped with the build made me smile too! Congratulations again!

109JB
08-26-2022, 07:07 PM
Where is that at Harlan?