PDA

View Full Version : Transporting 789GC 450 Miles on Trailer

Robin G
09-12-2008, 05:48 PM
If some have not transported their plane on a trailer with the wings folded this may be of interest. I drove from Portland, OR to Tonasket, WA Friday 05 Sept. Sat morning we flew the plane and then loaded it onto the trailer. Trip home was about 10 hours total as I kept the speed to around 50 mph. By the way, the prop wanted to spin at a speed just over 40 mph and so it was secured. Aircraft was towed facing forward with the tail supported so the weight was off the tailwheel. The rudder and elevator were secured/immobilized with foam covered .25" plywood.

Trip was slow but routine. Got home Sat 06 Sept right at midnight.

wadeg
09-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Robin,
Looks like beautiful country up there. Will have to fly it back up for the sights. Have friend who goes to Omak lake a lot and will be joining him with 81WG when he goes.
Great to have another KF at 7S9!
Wade

jonr
09-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Would it be better to tow with the plane level? Ie, with the tail up higher?
Seems like there would be less drag.

Or maybe with the nose slightly down to prevent the whole thing from taking off.

Robin G
09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I had the tail elevated enough to keep the weight off the tailwheel. Raising it higher would seem to decrease the stability of the entire load. I kept the speed to no more than 50-52 mph and checked the tiedowns every few hours. Never had to make an adjustment. Hopefully I will not have the need to transport it by trailer over a long distance again. I was glad to get her home after 450 miles. I have noticed that many tow with the plane tail forward. Factory said there was no particular reason either way and only advised supporting the tail.

robin g