PDA

View Full Version : I've Been a Lurker

Geek
03-31-2020, 04:14 PM
It's true. Been one for awhile waiting for March of 2021 when John and Debra kick my kit to the curb and I can say I am a STi builder.

In my lurking time I have been collecting quotes and pics from various posts on the forum as well as other places to have as a reference when I got to building. The result of that collection has turned out to be a 50 something page document. Originally I was doing this just for me when I got my kit and could start building. However my wife (the smarter one of us) made the observation that others who are starting now may like to look at it too and it might help them out. Sort of like getting some of the answers to the quiz before taking it. The bad news is that when I started out, I didn't attribute the quotes and pics to the multiple sources. I have since gone back and tried to fill those in but there are many in there that aren't annotated. I am also still adding stuff in.

So my question is do I put this doc up on the forum and risk hurt feelings cause I quoted their post and didn't give credit or just keep it for myself. Opinions?

Thanks

Geek
STi Lurker
Leavenworth, WA

Yzingers29
03-31-2020, 05:48 PM
Sounds like a great thing to post! You could always put a disclaimer at the top, similar in wording to your post. Ask people to claim credit for the information so that it can be better traced back to its educational source.

SomeDay7
03-31-2020, 05:54 PM
Hi Geek,
Send me a pm and we could talk about are upcoming build ideas and not bother anyone. I am supposed to get my kit in June but don’t know with this thing going on. Have all my ideas set too. I have wanted to build for a long time. Jim
ps I’m in Puyallup

Delta Whisky
03-31-2020, 06:00 PM
I can only speak for myself but I'm pretty sure all who post here do so for the benefit of others - it isn't done for credit or attribution. My vote - post.

Geek
03-31-2020, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I know some of your stuff is in this thing.

G

efwd
03-31-2020, 08:11 PM
I concur. Post it.
The down side, Im going to be jealous and Im going to see stuff that I wish I had done.

WhereTheHellIsJames?
03-31-2020, 09:39 PM
Post it... I should have a pile of parts arriving in my garage in April!

Geek
04-01-2020, 06:00 AM
Well I went to upload it and it's almost three times the size that's allowed. Even zipping it won't help that. Will try and figure out how to try and do this.

G

bumsteer
04-01-2020, 06:19 AM
Perhaps do it in installments. Maybe Steve (Desertfox4) or Larry (av8r3400) could offer some assistance.

Rick

Geek
04-01-2020, 01:13 PM
I'll play with that and how cut up it would get. Good idea.

G

Geek
04-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Split into four sections. See if this works

G

PapuaPilot
04-02-2020, 11:27 AM
These look nice, there is lots of helpful information that you put into these documents.

You even got a few of my pictures in there. That helps in these days of social distancing. :D

Delta Whisky
04-02-2020, 06:59 PM
Gouge??? Black shoe or airedale??

Geek
04-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Airedale. Father was a black shoe but myself and my daughter saw the light.

Geek

Delta Whisky
04-03-2020, 03:18 PM
So, two generations learned from the elder. And, that is how it should be. :cool:

ken nougaret
04-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Call me ignorant, but I haven't understood anything from the last several posts. Still dont know what gouge means.

rv9ralph
04-03-2020, 05:56 PM
In the sea services (Coast Guard and Navy). Black shoes are the sailors, and brown shoes or airedales or the aviators. Within those services, there is quite a bit of animosity between the two factions... generally because the brown shoes think they are a step above the sailors.

Ralph

Delta Whisky
04-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Because you are a good friend, and very capable of keeping a closely guarded secret, we'll let you in on the coded language. But don't tell anyone else and keep it just between us.

In U.S. Navy jargon, "gouge" is the essential piece of information; the heart of the matter; or outstanding test-preparation material (such as an old test copy). A person who is tired of hearing all the extraneous information surrounding a problem might exclaim, "Just give me the gouge!" Originated at the U.S. Naval Academy and introduced from there into the wider Navy, where it sees less frequent usage.

See https://www.doncio.navy.mil/ContentView.aspx?ID=893

Airedales are of the aviation variety and blackshoes are of the shipboard variety.

Delta Whisky
04-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Well shucks - Ralph posted while I was typing. Life just isn't fair!!

rv9ralph
04-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Just keeping it real. I didn't know the term "gouge" except as a tool or ripping someone off.

Ralph

Geek
04-03-2020, 07:01 PM
So, two generations learned from the elder. And, that is how it should be. :cool:

So true. When your dad is a Master Chief Machinist Mate (that's a black shoe and if you REALLY want to get technical; a snipe or one who works below deck) then things are done one way and only one way. He taught me a lot that made it much easier for me when it was my turn to go to sea and probably a lot more in the grand scheme of things.

In U.S. Navy jargon, "gouge" is the essential piece of information; the heart of the matter; or outstanding test-preparation material (such as an old test copy). A person who is tired of hearing all the extraneous information surrounding a problem might exclaim, "Just give me the gouge!" Originated at the U.S. Naval Academy and introduced from there into the wider Navy, where it sees less frequent usage.

Perfect explanation!! Thanks.

Geek

desertdave
04-03-2020, 08:30 PM
I used the term gouge last week on another forum and people were stymied about its meaning too. Now you guys have the gouge on the word gouge. :cool:

ken nougaret
04-04-2020, 03:09 AM
Well then. I dont feel so stupid.

Thanks for the education. I can say I learned something today and I've only been awake for 1 hour.