PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox?

desertdave
02-28-2020, 07:55 PM
Every forum needs a thread like this.

Today I replaced the label maker switch and circuit breaker labels with transferable vinyl letters from https://smalllettering.com
Cost about $70 and took less than an hour to remove the old labels, clean with alcohol and apply the new labels.
Here are a few before and after photos.

Lawdog
02-28-2020, 08:06 PM
Looks great. Gotta do that to my bird.
Check out aerographics.com They do all sizes of lettering and custom plane kits

desertdave
02-28-2020, 08:15 PM
They did my 12" registration that I installed a few days ago. They did a nice job of matching the classic Kitfox logo on my tail.

DesertFox4
02-28-2020, 08:41 PM
Very nice improvements both panel and N-numbers Dave.
All setup now to fly into Canada and up to Alaska.😎

efwd
02-29-2020, 06:32 AM
Very Nice. Thanks for the lead. I can use a couple labels like those still. Ive given up on making decals with my Decal Pro FX kit. White letters are just too difficult to produce. All the other colors work fine if anybody was considering that kit.

Jcard
02-29-2020, 08:14 AM
Just getting her all dirty, last couple days.
Heading back out in a couple hours.
Feeling great to get some flight time finally after working on it.
Haven't been this awake in a long time.

Delta Whisky
02-29-2020, 07:18 PM
Finished wiring the panel - still have the engine hook ups to go.

mike92104
02-29-2020, 09:04 PM
Are you using the Powersonic battery as a backup?

Av8r3400
02-29-2020, 09:09 PM
Added STOLSpeed VGs.

airlina
03-01-2020, 04:07 AM
Hey Larry, how about a before after report on your VG's once you get to flight testing. Thinking of doing the same . Thanks Bruce N199CL

Kahle76
03-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Started fabricating back deck.

Delta Whisky
03-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Are you using the Powersonic battery as a backup?

Yes sir - sort of. It will function as a true backup for about an hour if I secure everything but the bare-bones need-to-fly stuff. My primary goal was to be able to get the EFIS, EIS and the radio up and running before starting the engine and not make any of them suffer from power surges or the drop in voltage during start up. I isolated the Powersonic from the main battery with a Schottky diode so it (in theory anyway) doesn't participate in the start up.

Av8r3400
03-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Hey Larry, how about a before after report on your VG's once you get to flight testing. Thinking of doing the same . Thanks Bruce N199CL

I didn’t do any scientific testing, Bryan Bowen and Alex DiSessa did enough of that. I can confirm my numbers agree with theirs of 7-10 mph improvement in power off stall and power on is still a non-event. I have not flown the VGs without skis and with Bushwheels yet. I don’t expect anything too surprising.

airlina
03-01-2020, 11:22 AM
I have checked out Bryan and Alex's assessments , good to hear you came to the same conclusion, I don't want to lose any top end cruise speed-anything to offer on that end of the spectrum. thanks Bruce N199CL

Av8r3400
03-01-2020, 11:52 AM
There seems no effect on flight characteristics other than stall speed.

airlina
03-01-2020, 03:17 PM
Thats what I wanted to hear , thanks Larry, gonna order them up. Bruce N199CL

PapuaPilot
03-01-2020, 10:56 PM
I started my condition inspection this weekend. It's going to come out with a pair of new Garmin autopilot servos installed.

mike92104
03-03-2020, 02:21 AM
Yes sir - sort of. It will function as a true backup for about an hour if I secure everything but the bare-bones need-to-fly stuff. My primary goal was to be able to get the EFIS, EIS and the radio up and running before starting the engine and not make any of them suffer from power surges or the drop in voltage during start up. I isolated the Powersonic from the main battery with a Schottky diode so it (in theory anyway) doesn't participate in the start up.

Nice. Thanks for the reply.

redbowen
03-05-2020, 09:13 AM
What are you doing to your baggage are?

Started fabricating back deck.

ShaneNC
03-05-2020, 05:02 PM
Driven by it on my way to work, wishing it was back together from condition inspection. :(

jmodguy
03-05-2020, 06:23 PM
Hope I finally fixed my leaking parking brake... Should know tomorrow

Av8r3400
03-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Leaking at the fittings? I had all sorts of trouble with that too. Went to Loctite 567 (recommended by Matco) and this totally solved the issue.

jmodguy
03-07-2020, 01:52 AM
After digging around here and other aviation sites I used Permatex #2 and it cured my woes!

Kahle76
03-07-2020, 04:31 AM
What are you doing to your baggage are?
I’m building a shelf and then covering it with some velour that matches the the Kitfox upholstery. Decided not to use it for a baggage area.

desertdave
03-07-2020, 04:03 PM
With expert help from Desertfox4 today I got my spinner installed.

desertdave
03-13-2020, 05:44 PM
Replaced the jumper wires between my circuit breakers with copper bus-bars. Definitely cleaned up a lot of wires and crimp on connectors.

efwd
03-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Im curious Dave. What method did you employ to get your bar drilled perfectly to connect to each breaker?

desertdave
03-13-2020, 07:28 PM
I measured the distance between each breaker which was 1.25". I scribed the center of the bar and marked off 1.25" and just drilled them out. When I installed them I loosened the nuts holding the breakers in place, started each tiny screw and once they were all in place I tightened everything up.

efwd
03-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Hmm, sounds like a dumb question now reading it this morning. Thanks, I never have any luck with this kind of stuff so thought I would ask. Back drilling usually works but with the threads involved on the breaker, I knew that was not the way.

buckchop
03-15-2020, 09:49 AM
Flew KitFox #0038 on Friday for the first time since it got wrecked yrs ago with 55hrs TT, i bought it in 2017, and i rebuilt it the last 2.5 winters.

efwd
03-15-2020, 10:00 AM
Congratulations Buckchop. Picture?

buckchop
03-15-2020, 05:43 PM
Im not good with the postin pic, have to sit down and try it again, if u have some hits for gettin one posted let me konw. Thanks Bucky

Av8r3400
03-15-2020, 06:19 PM
Write your reply or posting for the forum.
Below the text box, click "Manage Attachments"
Top Right corner of "pop up" window click "Add File"
Click "Choose File" and select the file from your computer to add
Click "upload" Your photo will appear at the bottom of the Pop Up Window
Click "Insert Inline" at the bottom of the window.
Click "Done" and you are done.

Auster
03-16-2020, 09:27 AM
In the past days I've learnt a lot about the Bing carburettors on my 912ULS. On start-up the engine ran very rough. I shut down and after some investigation a friendly Rotax expert found one of the rubber carburettor mounts (between carb and manifold) had cracked.

We removed both carbs and disassembled them then ordered new mounts, new membranes, new float frames plus gaskets and o-rings. The floats
tested ok i.e. floated nicely and weighed within limits so were re-used. A few days later another friend and Rotax expert helped me assemble and mount the carbs and then demonstrated his method for balancing them. I'd not been getting it right. The test run revealed a very smooth running motor. The next day the airfield closed due to Corona Virus restrictions so I'm grounded :mad: but very happy to have my motor running again.

Why did the rubber mount fail? I blame age and winter starts. My maintenance schedule calls for an annual inspection but that would not have revealed this crack which started from inside. The schedule will be changed to call for replacement every 5 years along with an annual inspection. Winter starts are always a bit rough with the use of choke and of course the cold temps will make the rubber more brittle. Experience gained and lesson learnt.

Auster
03-16-2020, 09:29 AM
Oh and I didn't mention the pic. Taken from the Kitfox flying past Venice lagoon last year. On the return trip we landed at the famous Venice Lido airfield and had a nice evening in Venice. Aren't planes fun?

buckchop
03-16-2020, 10:51 AM
Ok ill try a pic hope it works. Hahahaaa

DesertFox4
03-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Looks like you did a great job rebuilding your Kitfox Buckchop.👍 Congrats and have fun.

efwd
03-16-2020, 02:06 PM
Oh Yeah. Skis look fun. Nice airplane.
And the Venice shot is cool as well. Glad you came back to state what we were looking at.

desertdave
08-15-2020, 08:04 PM
A friend and I re-skinned my doors and he milled a new set of latches with his CNC machine.

First up was drilling out the 80 rivets that held the old Plexiglas on

Then we used the old Plexiglas as a template to cut out the replacement Lexan. Then we re-riveted the new Lexan on with a pneumatic rivet puller. If you don't own one you have no idea what you are missing out on. At this point the doors are now several pounds lighter than with the Plexiglas

Next up was to install the new latch holder. Tonight he is machining Delrin spacers to between the aluminum block and the latch

Doors re-hung, new "D" shaped weather stripping installed and we will finish up tomorrow.

Delta Whisky
08-19-2020, 04:54 PM
Although it wasn't today, just a few days ago after finishing several "engine out" glide data points I decided to cool off a bit and see what the service ceiling might be. I gave up at 14,000 ft (with 80 fpm of extra VS before hitting the service ceiling) in order to keep within the 30 minutes allocated to "no oxygen" flight. For inquiring minds: the EFIS data file said the density altitude was 15,939. Did meet my cool off goal though.

tracstarr
08-28-2020, 07:26 AM
Last night I did my dash fabric for the second time. I ruined it the first time damaging the fabric on the door tab. Two hours just to clean off the glue. I'm using a green ribbon el for panel lighting. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200828/26534e193a100368bf5ec63632c641af.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200828/7fe7be3c36bb9e3133718891502ff582.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

bobclark
10-26-2020, 07:42 AM
I am looking for advice. I am a newbie, not only to Kitfox but I have never posted to a forum before. During the mid 1990s, my father bought a Speedster. I think it is a Mark IV, but it is rated for acrobatics. We never got an engine. We put the wings together and then life happened. I had kids, got a divorce and worked a lot. Also the 9/11 incident took the breath out of my aviation ambition and I sold my Beechcraft Sundowner. Now retirement and covid has reignited a spark. Also my 23 year old son has expressed an interest in getting the airplane built. At 63, I retired 5 years ago. I traveled a lot in foreign countries. 2 years ago, I started learning Spanish, but I need another hobby. I cannot find the manual, but I probably should buy a new one since the old one is 25 years old. The manual may be at my dad's house, and he will look for it next week. Obviously the power coated parts are still good, but mice have invaded a few of the boxes, and I will need parts. Also when I finish the plane and put on an engine, I will need some instruction. I definitely have the money, but I am curious how much the project could cost including flight instruction. I have never flown a tail dragger, and my son has never been in a private airplane except my Beechcraft when he was a baby. Is there anyone here who might shed some light on really rough financial costs? I am very skilled as a carpenter, plumber, electrician, and a decent auto mechanic. Also if anyone has advice on the manual, or where I should post forums I would appreciate it. I don't know if I am putting this post in the right place. This is my first time to look at Kitfox in more than 20 years. I do not know any Kitfox owners, but I would like to talk to owners at some point.

Eric Page
10-26-2020, 12:41 PM
Welcome, Bob! I recently bought an abandoned Kitfox Series 5, and like you, I found that I'm missing a number of parts and pieces, as well as the assembly manual. I'm not sure about the Model 4, but Kitfox still sells the manual for mine; I was able to get it as a large PDF on a USB thumb drive. They also still offer parts, but there's a lot more commonality between the Series 5 and current-production Series 7s than there is between the 4 and 7, so your mileage may vary.

Both Heather and Debra in the Kitfox offices are very helpful and responsive, so give them a call and discuss your situation; they'll help as much as they can. If you can find the inventory from the original kit, and compare it to your current holdings, it will help a lot in determining what to ask them for. If your inventory is missing, you might find a forum member willing to send you a copy; I got one for my plane that way (thanks, Fred!).

I'm expecting my all-in assembly cost to be around $75k, but I had to buy the kit from its first owner. A great many Kitfoxes are tipping the scales at well over $100k these days, so I consider that a bargain. A lot of the cost depends on your choices for engine and avionics. My panel will eat a quarter of that budget. If you prefer a more modest panel, your cost will be lower.

I don't own one, but my understanding is that the Model 4 flies nicely on a Rotax 582. For more oomph, a used 912UL would be an economical upgrade. Someone who owns one can offer more specific advice on what engines mate well to the Model 4.

Maverick
10-28-2020, 11:39 AM
Welcome Bob. There are those of us that try to get it done on the cheap. I have $46,700 invested in my KF5. Allot of the cost of most Kitfoxes besides the initial kit is in the engine choice and Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS), and/or an Engine Information System (EIS), and Avionics. Like Eric, I lucked into an abandoned kit for $8750. I went with a used engine w/800 hrs on it, a Grand Rapids EIS and used steam gauges. Avionics are modest, a new GTR200, a used GTX327,uAvionics Echo UAT, Area660 GPS. I bought other things off other members of TeamKitfox like strobe lights, landing lights, etc. I got many parts from Kitfox, Inc. As Eric said, Heather and Debra are great. If you ever go see them, take some Snickers. Likely, they have the KF4 as a PDF but, I don't know that they do however, this is the right place to get help and surely someone out there has an inventory list.

Given your skills and apparent time to work on it, there is nothing on the Kitfox that you could not make yourself if you had to. The advantage of the kit is time to build but, having built a couple of planes from scratch, it just takes the desire, time and, effort to make what you need. Although, there are so many KF4s out there you shouldn't have to make anything.

Flight instruction is going to vary on a lot of things, i.e. what the local CFIs are charging. I paid $60/hr last week to get current and do the flight review. We used a Remose Light Sport plane that was $120/hr. I have no idea what the going rate might be elsewhere but the school that I used had a private pilot package for $13,500 and a Light Sport pilot for $9,500. Good luck.
Fred

P.S. Eric, you're most welcome.

bobclark
10-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Thank you Eric and Fred. I remember when we bought the kit, it costs $10,000, and the engine was supposed to cost about the same. If I took on this project, I figured that with inflation, I would have a VFR plane for less than $40,000, and it might be a good project to do with my son. However when researching what a kitfox is worth, I saw a fairly new completed Kitfox 4 sold on ebay recently for $37,000 and one sale from about 10 years back for $25,000. I am used to making money when I build things, and although I didn't expect to make money building airplanes, I worry that I could invest a year of time, $40,000, and end up with something worth half of what I have in it. That sounds as bad as antique car restoration. I need to consider buying an airplane if that is less time and more value. I don't want to start building a kitfox just because I have the kit, but I need another hobby. My main hobby was international travel, but that got shut down with covid. I appreciate your insight into costs, and I need to think this over carefully.

Maverick
10-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Your approach to spending your dime is one way of looking at it. I go fishing in Alaska every year or two. The amount of fish I bring back means that my salmon costs about $45 a pound and halibut costs near $55. I could buy it a lot cheaper but, I'd miss the experience of fishing. I'd miss the fellowship of spending 9 days with good friends from around the country. Consider that you said you wanted a hobby and something to do with your son.

Building an airplane is either because you love to build OR you love to fly and want to keep the cost of flying as cheap as you can OR both. For those who just want to fly there are less expensive airplanes available than building new however, the building process is not experienced in that way. Building an airplane yourself and then flying it are very rewarding experiences for which one may find it difficult to put a price on. Especially those hours spent working with your son on the project. When you build it yourself, you build it to your liking as a custom one of kind version of a standardized kit/plans.

If you goal is to make money, remember that there is a cost to an airplane regardless of who built it. Unless you build something that is potentially a grand champion you may not get your cash investment back but at the same time, if you can fly that airplane for 500 hours at 1/3rd the cost of renting, you've recovered some of the cost of your build. And then, there is the father to son factor. At your point in life, you may not ever sell the airplane. It may be passed down to your son, particularly if he is involved in building it and is enamored with flying it. In the cost benefit analysis, don't leave out the intangibles. As a woman would say (don't hit me ladies) can you put a price on love?

I haven't met anyone that owned a Kitfox that wasn't enamored with it. A Kitfox is one of the most modern old school airplanes there are and flying one is worth every cent of the cost. There aren't too many airplanes that will, get up and down in length of a football field, climb like a homesick angel and, carry a significant payload at 5gals/hr at 100+mph. If you want to get jazzed, watch some of the YouTube videos on the Kitfox like the Trent Palmer Kitfox Videos (https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/8695-Trent-Palmer-Kitfox-Videos). DesertFox4 has some good ones I like here in the desert.

Also, I want to address your concerns about it being a tail dragger. If you haven't progressed too far in the build, it is possible to make your airframe into a tricycle gear plane. As well, you can make it into a wide body adding about four more inches in cabin width. Don't think I'm trying to talk you into something you don't want to do but, don't abandon the idea until you've considered more than $$. If you do decide to abandon the idea, this is a great place to find a buyer for your project.

Regards,
Fred

PapuaPilot
10-28-2020, 04:45 PM
Well said Fred 👍

desertdave
01-17-2021, 03:40 PM
I made new cushions for the plane today. My original were 1" thick and not very supportive. There are 2" thick and I made 1" booster for my height challenged daughter. I have never attempted anything like this before and as work progressed the quality definitely improved. I ordered the foam and the Ultra Suede from https://www.fabricempire.com Shipping was fast and the quality was good. The thread I bought off of Amazon and sewed it all up with our 35 year old cheapy sewing machine.
Learning to do the pleats and the diamonds was kind of fun. I'm restoring a 61 VW Beetle and after this project I feel comfortable enough to do a custom interior myself.

tim.green
01-17-2021, 04:24 PM
Vixen build.

Spent time today removing old Hysol from false ribs. Not that exciting, but you asked!

tim.green
01-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Vixen Build.

Removed 3M adhesive from the nose of the tip rib on the right wing. This joint was loose and needed to be re-bonded. Used a hot knife from Northern Tool to carefully - am I allowed to say "surgically?" - remove the compromised adhesive. Pics attached.

Not that interesting but maybe someone will find it interesting or useful.

Spook712
01-23-2021, 09:49 AM
I made new cushions for the plane today. My original were 1" thick and not very supportive. There are 2" thick and I made 1" booster for my height challenged daughter. I have never attempted anything like this before and as work progressed the quality definitely improved. I ordered the foam and the Ultra Suede from https://www.fabricempire.com Shipping was fast and the quality was good. The thread I bought off of Amazon and sewed it all up with our 35 year old cheapy sewing machine.
Learning to do the pleats and the diamonds was kind of fun. I'm restoring a 61 VW Beetle and after this project I feel comfortable enough to do a custom interior myself.

What kind of foam did you use?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

desertdave
01-23-2021, 10:10 AM
What kind of foam did you use?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The vendors description:

Medium Density Square foam has a compression rate of 33lbs. It features the perfect amount of cushioning and stiffness. Its soft but still holds its firmness and support for an individual to sit on it without compressing the foam too much. Medium Firm Quality Foam is designed for heavy works and high use applications.

https://www.fabricempire.com/24-x-24-square-foam-sheets.aspx

The backs and the bottoms are 2" thick and I added another 1" of thickness in the thigh area of the bottoms.

tim.green
01-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Following advice in this thread: https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/701-Help-please-with-flaperons

Used gel stripper and plastic razor blades to strip the protective coating from my Vixen flaperons. The QA sticker on this flaperon says "5 - 94" so this stuff has been hardening for 27 years. Left the stripper on for 12 hours and gently scraped it off with the blades. No damage to the skins but plenty of residue to remove - which comes off with denatured alcohol and gentle rubbing. Relieved that this is actually doable. The stripped section depicted took about 4 hours of actual work.

Thanks forum!

tim.green
01-25-2021, 04:04 PM
It's probably boring but . . . I've completed the removal of the protective coating and all glue residue from one side of one flaperon. It's in good shape with a couple of small hangar rashes that I'll need to fix. 10 hours total work time - I think the rest will go more quickly. Pix attached!

109JB
01-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Yesterday I got up and decided to put my pants on :)

PapuaPilot
01-29-2021, 11:05 AM
TMI, and you only have one leg in you pants. :eek:

109JB
01-29-2021, 12:21 PM
Yep. Can only exert so much effort each day...

Actually I just forgot to take a picture with both on. With the new gear there was some fiberglassing, welding on a couple mount tabs, etc. Getting really close to slapping some fabric on it.

n85ae
02-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Here's my "what did I do today post", rather a long post about my Maule tailwheel, and my
latest tailspring on N85AE (number 4)

First about the Maule Tailwheel

A few todays ago, I spend a weekend replacing my tailspring with a custom made spring,
and serviced my Maule tailwheel First I cannot say enough good things about the Maule tailwheel,
it works great, it's rugged, its simple, and I have never had a problem with it. I so often hear
people bashing Maule tailwheels on the Forum which I have never understood.

It does have an unlock, but it's a brutally simply sliding pin, very simple to understand and really
idiot proof in function.

The way to keep the Maule lock working nicely, is to clean the slide pin, and lubricate it with a nice
"oil" like Mobile 1 synthetic. Not to use grease, as this can thicken, dry out, and get sticky. This I
read actually in a Maule service note. Works nicely, and the pin snaps into place when it aligns with
the slot - Pretty foolproof.

Basic service - I take it all apart periodically, clean it with mineral spirits, regrease it, and put it back
together. So - Oil for the slide lock, and grease for the rest.

On my Maule, I don't like it to run stiff, so I removed the friction pad springs. Maybe one day when I put
it on a DC-3, or C-46 I will put the springs back in ... If you take it apart you find a fiber disk, and they
are under this plate and create a turning resistance (intentional). Since the tailwheel can probably support
a fully loaded C-46, it might need the springs, but my plane is a lot lighter ...

I use the anti-shimmy Maule springs, and run with my tail chain springs under about 1/2" of tension. So
With full rudder pedal, and max rudder deflection the unlock cam hits, and the slide pin disengages. It has
NEVER unlocked accidentally, and while I did groundloop the plane once, that was pilot error (those that
have, and those that will), and not a Maule problem.

I have heavy duty sash chains from McMaster Carr, that are probably triple the strength of the stock sash
chains. Have never broken one, and don't want to. The heavier chain is cheap, and brings peace of mind.

I ground looped because it was a very windy day, with a direct crosswind, and I made the stupid mistake
of not simply diverting to a nearby airport with a more favorable runway. I elected to "give it a try and
if it didn't feel good, then divert". It felt good up until I was rolling backwards through the weeds off
the runway, and between runway lights ... Lesson learned, and luckily no damage done.

My New Tailspring

The tailspring, and bolt are worthy of a few comments, since a simple loan of a tailspring from Bruce
(Airlina) led to a discovery process, and a lot of reading, and thinking. The first part of which was "why
is this upper spring having a bigger hole, than the lower spring? Bruce was there a bushing
or something for this you're cheating me out of?".

Also the Spring Bruce sent was the Kitfox Aircraft Spring, which is bent 10 degrees steeper than the Grove
Aluminum spring that came from Skystar with the Series 5. This spring I tested, but then replaced with
my 4th tailspring, which is a custom bent three leaf. Basically it was soft, and too severe a bend angle.

The NEW tailspring is three leafs and is bent to 5 degree less bend than the Kitfox spring, and 5 degrees
greater bend than the Grove Aluminum spring I originally had. The length is adjusted such that my
tail height is the same as with the Grove spring. Also the upper leaf is longer, and stops about 1" from
the tailwheel assembly, and the spring is 1.5" wide, as opposed to 1.25" as the Grove/Kitfox springs.

The purpose of the bend angle I have is to put the pivot axis at the proper angle to eliminate shimmy and keep
the turning light (the Kifox spring is too severe an angle with the Maule, and makes turning feel stiff)
the longer upper spring, give me a firm tail spring, but not harsh. Maybe because I have the heavier
engine (IO-240B) I thought the Kitfox spring was too soft. I had previously used a 5 degree wedge on
the Grove spring to adjust the pivot angle.

I scrapped the Grove spring, because ... It was very harsh, and Grove told me on the phone that
some of them had broken and they advised me to NOT use it ... Ok.

My second spring was a three leaf, bent to the same angle as the Grove Aluminum, much softer, BUT
just didn't like the feeling, and the angle was still bad without the 5 degree wedge.

My tailwheel bolt is an AN8 with a castle nut, and a cotter pin, torqued to 20 ft/lbs. Since the
leafs do move, the upper spring has a slotted hole to prevent shearing (i.e. think bolt cutter) of
the bolt. If confused ... think about two equal length parallels, and move them up and
down ... They will act like a bolt cutter on the tailwheel bolt. If the upper hole does not
allow for this movement by being bigger than the bolt (or slotted)

So no matter how tight you tighten the bolt, at some point when you land the leafs are going
to try to slip, when this happens it you do not have a slot or oversize hole in the upper leaf you
have begun the process of cutting the tailwheel bolt. My thinking is that I will accept that it's
going to move, and not try to stop it. But rather I slotted the spring accordingly, and run with
a drilled bolt, and a castle nut. Then I periodically inspect for wear, and retorque the nut.

I have an AN8 bolt, which I actually think is better, but mostly because I drilled the spring to
1/2" instead of 7/16" in one of those "oh sh**" moments.

Since I know that the springs are going to slip, I put antiseize on them before I clamped it all
together.

The tailspring bolts are upgraded to 1/4" NAS bolts, and the hold down strap is now 1/8" 4130. The
original bolts were AN3's which I never felt happy about. Especially after hearing of several
plane shearing the AN3's ... (this and the Grove spring should be in a service bulletin actually).

Jeff

Jcard
02-07-2021, 08:50 AM
I have the same Maule tailwheel and a leaf spring in my exta parts pile that anyone on here can have for shipping cost.

Eric Page
02-07-2021, 09:47 AM
I'll take it. PM sent.

Delta Whisky
02-07-2021, 03:49 PM
Completed installation of aerodynamic fairings on the HS lift struts. (Thanks Joe Ruscito.) Also, fabricated and installed close outs for said struts. Completed installation of brushes on the slot in the VT fairing (thanks Jim Ott).
The third picture is there to remind me to mention, I my case, the bolt attaching the trim drive arm needed to be turned around or it would drag on the installed brush. And, if the truth were to be known, I had originally mounted the other three bolts reverse of what is shown here but one of then seriously gouged the fairing. Glad I caught it when I did.:mad:

MikeFairbanks
03-02-2021, 09:36 AM
I ordered my STi kit... delivery scheduled from 1Q 2023.

DesertFox4
03-02-2021, 04:16 PM
Congrats. Mike.👍

redbowen
03-15-2021, 03:44 PM
https://youtu.be/PG6nrDaGYWs

desertdave
08-08-2021, 07:20 PM
Post Oshkosh cleaning, oil change and carb balance.
I was surprised how few bugs were smashed onto the airplane.
Next up, purchase and install a Garmin EFIS package and autopilot.

jrevens
08-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Oh Dave, say it isn't true! Pretty soon I'll probably be one of the few left "proudly rocking round dial gauges"! :cool:

desertdave
08-08-2021, 09:14 PM
😂 John,
The steam gauges are getting a little long in the tooth. My turn coordinator is making noises that it shouldn’t make and I want an autopilot. It’s time!

jrevens
08-08-2021, 09:26 PM
Completely understand! An added plus is probably some weight savings... both the airplane and your wallet. ;) Autopilot is nice - I have one too.

Maverick
08-10-2021, 11:03 PM
😂 John,
The steam gauges are getting a little long in the tooth. My turn coordinator is making noises that it shouldn’t make and I want an autopilot. It’s time!

You can't have an autopilot with steam gauges?

airlina
08-11-2021, 02:10 AM
You can't have an autopilot with steam gauges?

Yes you can have an autopilot with steam gauges , I run a trio autopilot with my steam gauges . Bruce N199CL

desertdave
10-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Murle Williams was finishing up my conditional inspection when he pointed at the turtledeck and said you know those two pieces of sheetmetal are reversed. Holy crap, 333 hours on her and somebody finally noticed. Twenty-four rivets later things are now as they should be. It should be noted that I DID NOT build the plane.:rolleyes:
Who else has theirs on reversed left to right and right to left?

Before and after:

SomeDay7
10-20-2021, 02:37 PM
Finally started to build again. Excited to get some more progress.

Kitfox Guy
10-20-2021, 04:21 PM
Oil Change

ScottS97385
01-26-2022, 09:44 AM
I installed a Safety Trim system to slow down the trim during cruise.

https://www.tcwtech.com/product/safety-trim-intelligent-servo-controller/?v=7516fd43adaa

Av8r3400
01-26-2022, 06:11 PM
The Mangy Fox got her condition inspection finished up today. She got her brake master cylinders rebuilt (OEM from 1997). She got her little ski wheels put on, too.

Hopefully I will find some time to fly her now...

brilenz
03-16-2022, 10:58 AM
Had to completely re-do the nostrils on cowling. Cylinder 1 running hot in climb. Took way too long!

posted project on youtube

brilenz
03-18-2022, 02:11 PM
forgot to add the link:
https://youtu.be/VhzB0tgyC6c

Delta Whisky
03-18-2022, 05:23 PM
Still working on making it easier for the Bernoullis to get around the shocks.

brilenz
03-19-2022, 05:23 AM
looks great! Would love to see final look, may have to do the same to mine! May look a bit like Mike Patsy’s Scrappy gear “winds”!

jrevens
03-19-2022, 10:00 AM
Still working on making it easier for the Bernoullis to get around the shocks.

Looks nice Darrel! How are the ribs made?

Delta Whisky
03-19-2022, 08:17 PM
John - Joe converted my 2D design to a 3D cad file and I had them printed out of ABS. Right now I'm approaching this as a proof of principle test. If it works well enough I could go to an all aluminum product.

Dave S
03-30-2022, 07:38 AM
This probably doesn't qualify for "what have I done to my kitfox today" since the "what" involved considerably more than "today".

Early last summer, I started noticing that the 912ULS was requiring more effort to burp when hot - a lot more. Monitoring and measuring the prop shaft torque last summer indicated that the prop shaft torque was continuing to increase. (FYI - 1500 TBO and old version of crankcase). Lots of consulting and it was determined that the issue was crankcase fretting. While Rotax has a limit of 110 foot pounds (150 newton meters) for prop shaft torque, I didn't want to continue to run an engine that was getting worse even if it hadn't reached the limit, so it had to be dealt with.

I would have liked to do the work myself; however, the tools required to do that were way too expensive for a one off job. Getting the engine overhauled also gets pretty close to the cost of a new engine especially considering freight back and forth. Seemed the best option was further jeopardizing the children's inheritance and getting a new engine.

One of our list sponsors, LEAF, close by and just east of my location in WI, had one each engine sitting in their warehouse at the time and the first person to show up with the cash gets it - which I did. Since that time, it appears that the company's website has shown the engine on backorder ever since - I have always been lucky and find that on very, very rare occasion it might be GOOD luck.

Bare knuckled wrenching in a drafty unheated hangar this past winter is no fun. January, February and most of March have been nasty unseasonably cold so I didn't get very many days on task over the winter. Not exactly a picnic right now either but 30 degrees is manageable and I was able to get the new engine install completed with a test run yesterday; and, everything worked as it should. Still have some more ground run time and checking plus a transponder update so hope to be flying again in April.

Haven't determined what to do with the retired engine yet. That was also kind of grim financially as it has less than 500 hours (a long way from 1500), just had a $1,000 rubber replacement as well as a $2,000 soft start CDI replacement the year before when the last of the two old ducati modules developed its "cut in" issue.

Hoping for the best now and we'll see how this thing runs this summer:)

DesertFox4
03-30-2022, 12:05 PM
Ouch Dave $$$! Sorry to hear this. Hoping new engine runs to 4,000 hours trouble free to average out your "per hour" running costs. Hope you get back in the air soon.

Delta Whisky
03-30-2022, 04:51 PM
Competed the fairings for the good ol Monster Shocks and installed same. Tried to get honest test flight speed numbers but the turbulence was way past acceptable. Now awaiting a calm day.

JoeRuscito
03-30-2022, 05:32 PM
Looking great! ;)

desertdave
04-02-2022, 06:57 PM
Removed the round dial gauges, radio, xponder and all the associated wiring. Swapping in a G3X!

DesertFox4
04-02-2022, 07:53 PM
Best of luck Dave. Will be sweet when complete. Great seeing you and Steve today.

desertdave
04-16-2022, 03:17 PM
Fitted a new set of wing tips. Going from Hoener wingtips to standard with AeroLED wigwags.

Delta Whisky
07-17-2022, 01:45 PM
Decided to give the Velco holding the baggage bag a bit more rigidity and hopefully eliminate the sticky mess that occurs with higher temperatures.

Flybyjim
07-17-2022, 07:07 PM
Always looking for a better result, or perfection!

stuartbw
08-03-2022, 10:15 PM
Starting to look like a real plane! 306903069130692

styree
02-25-2023, 03:54 PM
I am about to put the Shock Monsters on my 4-1200. Any chance you have plans or drawings for the fairings you built? Looks like what I want to do to mine.

Competed the fairings for the good ol Monster Shocks and installed same. Tried to get honest test flight speed numbers but the turbulence was way past acceptable. Now awaiting a calm day.

Delta Whisky
02-25-2023, 05:55 PM
No problem sending you my drawing and the CAD models. PM sent.

rtc183
03-08-2023, 11:28 AM
  I experienced substantial vibration on my brake lines where they enter the fuselage and pass over a piece of the frame and needed to keep this from happening again. The lines needed to be attached to the frame but the under side of the fabric would wear through against anything wrapped around the frame like a zip tie. I decided to use waxed lacing cord, but needed to have a a cushion on the top of the stringer that would stay put.
      This was accomplished by cutting a piece of hose in half and drilling two holes for the lacing cord to pass through and hold it exactly in place while providing cushion and some give. The brake lines exit the bottom of the fuselage through a seaplane grommet and right into the Grove gear.

Bob Cunningham
Kitfox S731885318863188731888

Dave S
03-08-2023, 12:38 PM
Hi Bob,

Glad you caught the chafing before it cut through the nylaflo.

One of the functions of the grove gear is the springing action on landing or takeoff which results in a large vertical motion near the center of the fuselage - right where we can't see it happening when it is happening. The gear bar/structure moves up and down quite a lot at the midpoint of the center section, and anything attached at the middle will likewise move a lot. It appears that your fabric penetration is quite close to the center of the fuselage which would explain a whole lot of motion.

I have no idea what the current build manual says about locating the penertration of the skin; and, I certainly don't recall from long ago what my build manual said:o.

A good strategy is to locate the fabric penetration as close to the fore/aft centerline of each gear hinge by the port and starboard side of the fuselage bottom. That way the up and down motion on will be almost nothing.

I did a fabric penetration in front of each gear hinge at the centerline ( on a trigear), then pointed the nylaflo towards the fitting a bit inboard on the gear spring. Used red RTV to seal and hold the nylaflo at the penetration; and, the original installation is still unmolested since the build completion in 2008.

Maverick
03-09-2023, 11:37 AM
You might also consider steel braided brake lines. I purchased what I needed to make up brake lines with steel braded after one of my nyloflo lines broke in two. Fortunately that happened on the ground.

styree
03-12-2023, 06:14 PM
I had a VERY productive weekend, FINALLY! I have the new gear and tires installed. I cleaned up a bit of wiring. I re-ran the fuel lines, for the FOURTH time! Oh, and I hung the engine on her. the RedRiver Fox is getting close!

Check out the video log. https://www.youtube.com/@ScottInTheClouds

jiott
03-12-2023, 08:18 PM
From your YouTube video, it looks like the two lower engine mounts with the rubber isolators are almost touching the exhaust muffler. Seems like that is way too close and will quickly harden and crack the rubber.

styree
03-13-2023, 05:56 AM
From your YouTube video, it looks like the two lower engine mounts with the rubber isolators are almost touching the exhaust muffler. Seems like that is way too close and will quickly harden and crack the rubber.

Yeah, I had already planned on putting a heat shield down there. I have also considered creating a duct to force air between the shield and engine, but will wait to see how that pans out.

MikeFairbanks
04-18-2023, 11:23 AM
Picked up 2 Super Sport kits!

Ordered late Feb 2021.

Unpacking party and pizza at my house tonight! ;-)

buckchop
04-18-2023, 12:34 PM
Man Right the Hell on!!! :cool:Ill bet ur the happiest guy on the block today!!
Just got my rebuilt pa12 home, 9 hrs on her so far.
The best feeling there is. To defi gravity with something u build with ur own hands!

Benbell4140
04-18-2023, 12:54 PM

Ordered late Feb 2021.

Very cool! I remember how exciting this part is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AvDES LLC
04-20-2023, 05:58 AM
When wasps manage to get into the wings…. You get to recover them!!!! Yayyyy

Kitfox Pilot
04-20-2023, 05:19 PM

Ordered late Feb 2021.

Good times on the way. Glad your about ready to build a kitfox!

stuartbw
04-28-2023, 10:16 PM

Setup and torqued the tailwheel
Attached jury struts
Cutout and shaped wing root fairings (more to do there)
Installed seat belts, added "Experimental" placard
Put on the new tires
Mounted the prop

To do: install butt rib closeouts (cut and painted), strakes on turtledeck, rig controls, mount doors, add N number, engine checklist and first start....
Getting closer!

DesertFox4
04-29-2023, 08:13 PM
Making good progress Brett.👍

stuartbw
05-25-2023, 09:11 PM

Mounted doors (need to find some hinge pins)
Trim, drilled, attached butt rib closeouts
Found a way to get the wing strut washers in place

Next: wing root fairings, rig controls, weight and balance, strakes, turtle deck, adjust prop, engine startup check list

Delta Whisky
07-06-2023, 04:38 PM
Began installing a manifold balance tube modification. Managed to install the machined manifolds and set up to measure the balance tube cut lengths.

Kitfox Pilot
07-07-2023, 05:44 AM
Today I found another really nice sand bar to explore!

Eric Page
07-07-2023, 02:41 PM
Wow, that's a neat photo, Harlan. Almost looks like a model airplane on a carefully prepared miniature photo set!

Kitfox Pilot
07-07-2023, 03:25 PM
That was a new setting I found on my phone camera. Haha. First picture I had taken on the setting. It does look fake but its real Eric! haha

Delta Whisky
07-07-2023, 05:46 PM
Very nice Harlan.

Kitfox Pilot
07-07-2023, 05:54 PM
Thanks Darrel, just what are you doing to your engine in the pic below?

olsonCCR
07-08-2023, 08:37 AM
Very slow going on my build but I finally had some free time over 4th of July weekend to put in the hours to finish my Butt Rib installation and my Flaperon reinforcement tabs. Feeling like I finally made a little progress! Working on Butt Rib Closeouts this weekend.

Kitfox Pilot
07-08-2023, 09:28 AM
Looking good Kevin. You are making good progress!

Shadowrider
07-08-2023, 10:28 AM
Wow, that's a neat photo, Harlan. Almost looks like a model airplane on a carefully prepared miniature photo set!

That is what I was going to say! Looks awesome! That is some tricky photography however you did it?

Kitfox Pilot
07-08-2023, 03:50 PM
That is what I was going to say! Looks awesome! That is some tricky photography however you did it?

Pro setting on the phone, Portrait mode. First time I have used it. Just playing with the phone. I wish I could tell you how great I am at photography, but it was an accident. Haha

Delta Whisky
07-09-2023, 03:53 PM
Harlan you asked what I am doing (and I know we talked by phone - but others might want to know as well). The link below gives a really good explanation of what is in work and how I came to think trying the mod might be worth the effort. I have a hot date tomorrow morning (with a welder) so hopefully a flight test write up might be available later this week.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/8116-Carb-sync-Never-again?highlight=balance+tube

Delta Whisky
07-20-2023, 06:32 PM
Has a bit of unplanned delay in getting the new balance tube (pipe?, crossover tube?) installed due to a delay in getting the welder to come in to work. But - the deed is done and am I happy. Didn't have time today to take it up for a test flight but a ground run showed the hoped for improvement in idle. At 2000 - absolutely smooth. And, where it really didn't like to idle much below 2000 before (it would but didn't like to) the same can now be said at 1600. 1800 is what it was at 2000 before. I'll put the balancer on it after Oshkosh just for grins and take it to altitude after that.

MikeFairbanks
07-22-2023, 04:24 PM
Got my seat pan fitted and sat in the airplane for the first time making airplane noises! ;-)

Kitfox Pilot
07-23-2023, 05:54 AM
It is great when you can sit in your plane!

avidflyer
07-23-2023, 03:29 PM
I've been putzing away on my never finished Kitfox 4 project, and feel like I'm making some progress. Started the engine for the first time a couple of days ago. Really no reason to fire it up, other than to prove I could, and hopefully give me a shot of adrenaline to head for the finish line. The project had almost nothing done on it when I got it quite a few years ago. To many other projects got in the way though. Hope to finish this fall sometime. JImChuk

New Kitfox 4 first engine start - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCoAF9azFCs)

Danilo
07-28-2023, 11:44 AM
Where Are You Located? I see you are in Lafayette, I'm in Lodi 1O3. Would love to come check out your build. I'm about to start painting my SS7

Very slow going on my build but I finally had some free time over 4th of July weekend to put in the hours to finish my Butt Rib installation and my Flaperon reinforcement tabs. Feeling like I finally made a little progress! Working on Butt Rib Closeouts this weekend.

olsonCCR
07-29-2023, 04:47 PM
I have a hangar at Buchanan Airfield in Concord (KCCR). I'd definitely love to take a look at yours! I just finished final Jury strut install today and a few other small things. I've been traveling for work and on vacation these past couple weeks, so slow going. Plan is to hopefully get the tanks and Laker Leading edge installed in next few weeks, so I can start covering the wings at end of summer.

If you're ever in the East Bay, drop me a line.

Kevin

desertdave
08-01-2023, 11:34 AM
After many months of multiple upgrades I weighed my airplane. She lost 12 pounds even with new tires and she is now legal to fly again. What a long road with the total avionics redo.

DesertFox4
08-01-2023, 05:02 PM
Congrats Dave. Good to see a nice weight reduction too.👍

Delta Whisky
08-01-2023, 06:22 PM
Finally ---- finished installation and completed flight test of the balance tube installation. Just for checks and grins I checked the carburetor balance - took advantage of the new hardware:

As reported earlier - the idle was crazy smooth.

In-flight smoothness was noticeably improved up to almost full throttle. I like to cruise at 5300 and what little vibration was in the pedals is gone. No change at full power.

The strangest or certainly an unexpected change was the drop in RPM at pre-take off ignition check. Usually about 130 rpm, now 40. Barely detectable. Any ideas of why this should be?

Here's where your comments will be appreciated.

The placement of the balance tube negated the ability to use the stock carburetor mounting spring; so in the interim, I kluged up a "it ain't going to fall off" answer using a bit of safety wire. What say you? Any better ideas will be appreciated.

Mtkitfox
08-01-2023, 08:23 PM
First engine start up. Success!

DesertFox4
08-02-2023, 06:54 AM
Congrats Brad on first run of your engine. A big step towards first flight.👍

Mtkitfox
08-08-2023, 07:20 PM
Added some graphics!

MikeFairbanks
08-11-2023, 01:01 PM
I don't know why prepping and varnishing the wood is my least favorite part of the build so far. It's not difficult, but it eats up so much time waiting. Anyway, today I finished the second coat of varnish on the v-stab ribs... hopefully I won't need to do a third and I can bond them into the tail tomorrow.

Redline
08-31-2023, 03:02 PM
Big day today. We move out of the 20 x 20 garage and into the hangar. Hopefully it's flying in about a month.

Kitfox Pilot
08-31-2023, 03:57 PM
Exciting times Jason! Looking forward to seeing it in the air.

MikeFairbanks
08-31-2023, 04:31 PM
Beautiful! Congratulations.

Redline
09-01-2023, 07:33 AM
Thanks Harlan and Mike. And Harlan, thanks for all your help!

bbs428
09-02-2023, 11:15 AM
Nice looking aircraft!

It has to be great to be in your hanger finally. Congratz!

Redline
09-05-2023, 07:23 AM
Thanks - I appreciate that! It is a great feeling.

stuartbw
09-06-2023, 11:10 AM
Weight and balance! Weighed in at 824#. CG limits look good. Next: Schedule DAR, few odds/ends, fuel test, brake break in.

Brett Stuart
SS7 912 ULS

Kitfox Pilot
09-06-2023, 11:13 AM
Weight and balance! Weighed in at 824#. CG limits look good. Next: Schedule DAR, few odds/ends, fuel test, brake break in.

Brett Stuart
SS7 912 ULS

Very Nice, Good weight, it will fly like a dream!

stuartbw
09-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Very Nice, Good weight, it will fly like a dream!

THANKS! I sure hope so!

MikeFairbanks
10-15-2023, 04:29 PM
Have been working with my daughter on colors and scheme for my KF7 Super Sport. I've been an avid model airplane enthusiast for almost 50 years now, and the very first model I ever flew was a Cox PT-19 control line. So I had her draw up a Kitfox in that scheme... I like it!

Eric Page
10-15-2023, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah, that looks great! I like the Alaska stars on the side too...

PapuaPilot
10-16-2023, 09:47 AM
I think many of us remember having Cox airplanes as kids. I remember the PT-19 and that scheme, but I think mine was a P-51. I crashed it well several times. :)

Anyways, that would make for a nice looking Kitfox!

stuartbw
10-20-2023, 04:33 PM
The DAR granted my special airworthinesss today!!

Test flight coming!

insurance quotes remain a bit problematic and expensive… requiring 5 hours dual time with a Kitfox CFI.

SS7 - N663PB
Rotax 912uls

Benbell4140
10-20-2023, 05:08 PM
Beautiful kitfox! Congrats

Redline
10-23-2023, 09:34 AM
The DAR granted my special airworthinesss today!!

Test flight coming!

insurance quotes remain a bit problematic and expensive… requiring 5 hours dual time with a Kitfox CFI.

SS7 - N663PB
Rotax 912uls

Congrats! Great looking Kitfox.

MikeFairbanks
10-29-2023, 11:47 AM
I will be installing 2 comms in my Kitfox, and had been wondering where to put the second antenna. I came across a thread here that talked about the Advanced Aircraft Electronics full wavelength antennas that don't require a ground plane. Several of you have installed them in the vertical stab, so I decided to go this route for my second antenna.

I installed mine just a bit differently than other installs I've seen, so that it doesn't interfere with installing and removing the stab.

And while it doesn't exactly qualify as something I have done to my Kitfox... I did get my engine in on Friday... Rotax 916.

DesertFox4
10-29-2023, 08:12 PM
Mike, that 916 is a beast. I was privileged to fly with Brandon in his Lindy winning Super Sport a couple weeks ago. Thank you Brandon and Heather. And what a beautiful flying Kitfox.😲😆
Crazy power in a Kitfox airframe. You will be amazed.👍 Oh, and when I built my model 4 back in 2003, I installed a comm antenna in my vertical stabilizer and it worked well. It wasn’t the the one you are installing though. It was a simple wire antenna from Aircraft Spruce. Yours should do even better.

MikeFairbanks
12-15-2023, 12:47 PM
I got a big box today.

I've still got to finish closing out the doors, and I want to get the wiring installed before covering... but I hope to start on this soon.

Av8r3400
12-15-2023, 08:02 PM
I've neglected the Mangy Fox yet again by not flying it for another week...

This whole day-job thing has to go, that's all there is to it.

Eric Page
12-15-2023, 08:29 PM
Amen, brother.

Michaels kitfox
12-16-2023, 09:13 AM
Getting down to the nitty gritty of all of the wires. From a spaghetti bowl into two large arteries that will eventually give her a heart!3328233283

Kitfox Pilot
12-17-2023, 04:01 PM
I've neglected the Mangy Fox yet again by not flying it for another week...

I don't know which is worse.......I've flown 5 days straight.....addictions are hard to break...haha

Michel your wiring is looking good! I was glad to get that job done.

stuartbw
01-23-2024, 12:39 PM
First flight! (actually back in November...). Happy day!!! Test pilot Jared was awesome - nerves of steel!

https://youtu.be/XLr-Xyors2k

The adventure of building and flying a plane is absolutely incredible...!

Since that first fight, the test flights have been great. A/P calibrated, GPS all working fine, scenery is fantastic!

Next adventure: Building a cam over wheel system so I can start ski flying! More to come on that!

Brett Stuart
Built and flying SS7 912 ULS
Preston, ID

DesertFox4
01-24-2024, 09:06 AM
Big congrats Brett on first flight 👍👍 and subsequent test flights. Lots of rewarding times during a build. First flights are monumental. Your Kitfox looks and sounds great. Enjoy every flight

Pushboy
01-24-2024, 11:17 AM
Congrats!!!
Looks awesome!
I hope to do the same one day!

Dave.

bbs428
01-25-2024, 12:06 AM
Another success story! Your plane looks and sounds great!

Now the real fun starts!

MikeFairbanks
01-25-2024, 04:24 PM
Got my panel from Midwest Panel Builders today, very happy with the end result and the process of working with Steve and Adam.