PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Trailer Build

SomeDay7
02-22-2020, 04:20 PM
I am looking into building a trailer. This is an example of a trailer build with some similarities to the design I want to attempt . I know the tail gets rather heavy with the wings back. Not sure of the tail wheel weight but i would guess about 300lbs. A modification i would probably do is a roller dolly attached to the tail wheel and the winch that has a spring between the airframe and the dolly to take the extra weight off of the tail wheel for transport. I am not sure of the tail weight but must be around 80 to 100 lbs with the wings not folded. The back of the trailer must go past the prop for protection from behind and to maybe make a hoop system with boat top fabric to fully enclose the airplane in. If anyone has ever attempted this or could chime in that would be great. I am not sure my local airport will be an option in the future and a trailer build like this would give me a lot of options. Here is an old example from the forum.

WWhunter
02-22-2020, 07:20 PM
When I get back to my computer I can get a picture of the one I built. Still have the trailer, but sold the Kitfox.

GuppyWN
02-22-2020, 08:01 PM
There's one for sale in Boise.

desertdave
02-22-2020, 08:23 PM
There's one for sale in Boise.

https://boise.craigslist.org/avo/d/caldwell-kitfox-trailer/7075520425.html

4Hummer
02-22-2020, 10:34 PM
My Trailer

buckchop
02-23-2020, 10:47 AM
I just finished building mine, will haul either of my KF #0021 with standard length/width bush gear, and #0038 with 4" extended and 12" wider gear, and can haul them with tires or with skis, also a large crossbed toolbox, with a fuelpump, large 12V battery mounted inside to run my winch, 40gallon transfer tank, adjustable jack to lift tail, also modified my travel struts to b user friendly without tools for the hardware. One thing to remember is NEVER haul ur plane without picking the weight off and supporting ur tail wheel.

Problem is im not able to get this site to let me download pic. Let me know if ud like to c a pic or can help with post of pic. Bucky

efwd
02-23-2020, 08:02 PM
Hopefully DF4 can help with the pic. I would love to see it.

SomeDay7
02-25-2020, 03:07 PM
Thanks Bucky trailer is awesome.

GWright6970
02-25-2020, 05:39 PM
FYI.... My Kitfox IV-1200 has an empty aircraft tailwheel weight of 42 pounds. When I fold the wings back, the weight on the tailwheel is 161 pounds. My aircraft empty weight total is 666 pounds... I hope that is not an evil omen!

SomeDay7
02-25-2020, 06:12 PM
Yes. Bucky and I talked about that. Like I said in a previous post; I think the weight wings folded on the 7 would be closer to 300lbs. Don't really know til i build it. His is a model 1 at around 500lbs. He locks his tail in place with no shock absorbsion on it other than the springs of the trailer. Doesn't go far and has no problems yet.

buckchop
02-29-2020, 09:50 AM
Thanks for posting the pic Jim.
Yea i lock mine down tight to trailer with a automotive sparetire siccor jack that pins to trailer and to the factory towbar pin holes on the tail of the plane, jack it up enough to pick the weight off the tail so jack carries it, and get out the ratchet straps and tie it down to trailer. They say never tow ur KF with wings foded without supporting the weight of the tail. Least what ive always heard. With the plane strapped to the trailer the suspension of the trailer needs to b so thatnit dont ride hard and beat the plane to death, most cartrailers r good for 7000lbs plus, (boat trailer r good start) heck my model 1 #0038 weighs 492lbs, it would die on that trailer.
I hauled mine on a cartrailer for a yr or so, and when u have/build a trailer sutted for a KF and u tow it first time there is a heck of a difference or mayb thats just in a guys gut, Hahahahaaaaa

Wait a min, i know we all know this info right? I knew that when i went to buy my first KF#0021 4yrs ago, So im sure this not new info.

SomeDay7
02-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Bucky. I suppose the car suspension takes up part of the jolts of the road too. The tail wheel is half way between each of the tires on the road. Looks like its been working for you. Thanks for the input.

I do need a couple of measurements to get off to a custom trailer place that was excited about maybe building me a trailer. A measurement from the tip of the tailwheel to the back of the 29' tires on a model 7 and the inside measurement between those 29' tires.
I'm calling the factory on Monday to give them my interior colors so I may get those from the mule.

WWhunter
02-29-2020, 07:55 PM

I made the KF attachment so I could unbolt and still use the trailer for my boat.

SomeDay7
03-01-2020, 08:05 AM
For occasional use that is perfect. Looking at adding 2 13 gallon tanks to my trailer. Where could I add this weight to your trailer and keep it balanced.