PDA

View Full Version : Crack in tire

yoda
02-04-2020, 05:01 AM
These are new stock, month old Desser Aero Classic 27.5x10-8 in which one tire has a long crack across the tire. Pumped up to 8psi.
Anyone else with the large bush tires have these?
Is this normal?

rcbif
02-04-2020, 05:41 AM
That dont look good.

Have not seen good things from Desser recently. Someone of facebook across the pond posted some pictures of some 22" 8.50 tundras they got after waiting a few months for delivery. One was over an inch taller than the other both inflated and un-inflated! I work in engineering at an OEM, and it's pretty mind-blowing that something like that could make it out the door.

airlina
02-04-2020, 08:06 AM
if it was me , Desser would be getting a phone call with those pictures as proof and I would certainly be after a free replacement. Looks like a manufacturing defect. I have the Desser 8.50's and they have held up well , so I hope these are isolated incidents. Bruce N199CL

kmach
02-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Call Desser, the tire should not look like that. I wouldn't fly with that tire.

yoda
02-06-2020, 09:04 AM
I have been dealing with Desser for the last couple of days. It’s not going well.

efwd
02-06-2020, 09:52 AM
What could they possibly say? They aren't expecting you to fly those right? Are they really old tires? I can't imagine anybody not supporting an exchange unless there are extenuating circumstances. Keep us posted. My next purchase may be decided here provided all the information is fairly put forth. They are a site sponsor after all.

airlina
02-06-2020, 10:34 AM
I would also mention that the outcome of their decision will be posted on this forum where many owners buy (or not) their products. Bruce N199CL

yoda
02-06-2020, 11:12 AM
These are brand new tires bought directly from Desser for $590 each.
They were purchased one month ago and have three flights with them.
Some closeup pics. Also it is starting to head down the side wall.

jrthomas
02-06-2020, 02:14 PM
I have been dealing with Desser for the last couple of days. It’s not going well.
I'm a little surprised and disappointed that Desser was not anxious to make things right. They sell lots of airplane tires and word gets around fast if they won't stand behind their tires. I'd let them know about this site with lots of potential buyers waiting to see how they handle a defective product. I have a pair of their 22 inchers that I've been very happy with but I'd think twice about buying again if they don't do you right. Let us know how it turns out.

desertdave
02-06-2020, 05:12 PM
If they are only a month old and you paid with a credit card you may be able to dispute the charge.

yoda
02-06-2020, 10:38 PM
This is not going well. Day 4 and still we are negotiating how to replace the tires.
Frist they didn’t think I bought the tires from them, I had to provide an invoice # even thought I gave them all my info., plus pictures.
Second, they would only replace one, but I had to purchase another tire at $590, then they would ship it, and when I sent the old one back they would credit me back after they inspected it. I said no way, plus I wanted two replacements in case the other one went bad. The two tires have the same stamp number. What if the batch of tires they supplied me are defective.

Now they want me to unmount the old tires and send the old ones back. Once they receive a shipping confirmation they will ship the replacements. Once I get the new tires, I’m going to have to remount the new ones. But this is the “Middle ground” they stated, for not purchasing the replacement tires. We still haven’t spoken about receiving a credit for all the extra time and cost for unmounting/remounting the tires.
The quote from the higher ups at Desser “Per our quality standards we do not make decisions on tires based on images. In order to make a decision we need the tire to be physically in our possession.”

Basically, they are saying they don’t believe I have a defective tire.
I’m pretty fortunate the tire didn’t fail while operating the aircraft. Worst case scenario it could have come apart on landing with a ground loop, lost of control, or even flipping the aircraft.

jrthomas
02-07-2020, 05:19 AM
Those tires, at the very least be considered a "blemish" I would think. Also would they pass a safety inspection (annual)? I don't think my A&P would sign off on them. I would think about getting an expert opinion from someone knows tires and maybe an A&P. I'd take lots of pictures and keep records. Then if Desser still won't replace them free of charge, I'd ask for a signed agreement that they agree to be liable if their tire failure causes an accident. (I know, fat chance!) I sure wouldn't have my family riding on car tire that look like that. They are a Team Kitfox sponsor.

rcbif
02-07-2020, 05:36 AM
Now they want me to unmount the old tires and send the old ones back. Once they receive a shipping confirmation they will ship the replacements. Once I get the new tires, I’m going to have to remount the new ones. But this is the “Middle ground” they stated, for not purchasing the replacement tires. We still haven’t spoken about receiving a credit for all the extra time and cost for unmounting/remounting the tires.

If they pay/ reimburse you for return shipping, I would consider this a fair.

A bonus for your time and inconvenience is always nice, but so is accepting accidents/issues happen. If it happens again, I would demand full refund and be done with that tire &/ or Desser.

efwd
02-07-2020, 08:06 AM
Well, I have plans to buy more Desser tires as I am pretty happy with how mine are working out at 140hrs. Im relieved by the fact that I live near Desser so I will be picking them up in person. Still a ways out though. Mine are wearing pretty good on 100% pavement.

yoda
02-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Your missing the point. These tires are great and I was having a great time flying with them.
Their clearly is a defect. Would the whole tire fail, most likely not, it’s 4 ply FAA approved. Would the first layer peel off? Might or might not, if it did would I be able to keep control of the aircraft? The crack is starting to progress down the side wall. These tires ate rated to 120mph and 1800lb each. The max ground roll for me is about 60mph.
All I wanted was for Desser to step up. They have in a certain way, but lots of strings attached.
I don’t have mounting equipment and I don’t live next to my airplane.

yoda
02-07-2020, 02:04 PM
Excellent news, new set of tires are being sent and I have 30 days to return them.
No credit card, no processing, no shipping defect one and waiting for new ones. Stress free.
Thank you Desser.

bumsteer
02-07-2020, 04:15 PM
Great to hear, but IMHO, it should have been a lot less stressful for you.

Rick

yoda
02-13-2020, 08:23 AM
I received my brand new replacement tires from Desser with the same defect as I had with my original tires.
At one point I’ll have 6 bush tires, Desser is overnighting some new replacements that have been inspected before shipping.
My only concern is the warranty, what if these defects should arise again in the coming years.

redbowen
02-14-2020, 05:53 PM
Mounting the tire is not a big deal, you will have to do that regardless of how you get the replacement tires, of course you will need the proper tools to jack up the airplane and remove the wheel. You must have done this when you bought the tires. It is a shame that they will not ship you a new set before you have to remove the old set so that you are not AOG for very long.