PDA

View Full Version : Firewall and Starter Clearance Issue

Hoenshell
01-23-2020, 05:40 PM
Got a problem I'm trying to work through and see if you guys can come up with any good ideas. I'm having problem creating enough space for my starter through model IV firewall. I've put the firewall and engine in place to check the clearance and using a piece of paper for the box I will be creating to open up the area for the starter. I still need more room, but I'm already running out of material to rivet my corner piece on to. I just had a thought if maybe I can just cut those tabs off my starter? Why are they there?

jrevens
01-23-2020, 05:49 PM
Shawn... I think you can cut those off if you want. They do make a good heavy wire ground connection point, possibly branching from there up to another point on the engine, but they're not necessary for the operation of the starter. Keep in mind possible clearance if you have to remove the starter also... it's nice if you don't have to move the engine first. I didn't build a IV, and the guys that have can probably offer better advice than I.

Delta Whisky
01-23-2020, 05:52 PM
I don't know anything about building an IV but can support John. I happened to ask that very question to the tech guru at Lockwood yesterday and his words matched John.

kmach
01-23-2020, 08:55 PM
I had to cut the heavy duty starter tabs in order for my brand new engine to fit on my Outback when I swapped engines, the old engine had the smaller standard black starter . Both are 912 uls. Its a wierd feeling cutting pieces off a brand new engine. Lots of people have had to cut the tabs off the heavy duty starter, no worries.

Hoenshell
01-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info! Maybe I can cut some more things off to save weight! Hahah.