PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk 0-200's (those running them please inquire within)

Denalifox
01-06-2020, 09:13 AM
Hey all, mulling over Engines for my S7 STi that arrives in March. Ive landed on an O-200a for specific reasons. Those being 1: up here in AK there is little to no support for Rotax, 2: I need to be able to hand prop the plane in the event of a dead battery, 3: Price. This will be a VERY simple overall build Dynon HDX suite/Ipad with WAAS antenna. That's it. Light weight is the key as I need more room for Moose and Caribou.:cool: Most likely an Airmaster IFA prop.

My PLAN is a high comp 200 with tuned exhaust, and some sort of Ignition.

So here are my questions:
1: Battery location, did you move it aft?
2: What is your empty weight
3: VX/VY speeds?
4: basically are you happy with it?

Any other info you have would be fantastic like what is included in the FWF kit, or really anything helpful.

*For the Record* I am not a Rotax hater, Im actually considering a 914. 200 is Primary choice. 165 HP MoGas Titan is a close second.

Thanks all!

DesertFox4
01-17-2020, 10:49 AM
Must be a few O-200’s flying? Maverick had one some years back on a model 5 that as I recall flew pretty well.

Denalifox
01-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Must be a few O-200’s flying? Maverick had one some years back on a model 5 that as I recall flew pretty well.

I feel like a leper. HAHA

ken nougaret
01-17-2020, 11:32 AM
I've been flying behind a stock low compression o200a in my 7ss for 3 years. I like it. I'm guessing it's like anything else, if you dont have a side by side comparison with a lighter one, you have nothing to complain about.
Wings are straight, not swept. Battery is odyssey 680 behind the seat. I think balance is perfect. Tail weight 58 lbs. Empty weight is 900 lbs, but I have traditional 6 pack steam gauges and custom made seats. My wife and I are 300 lbs combined. Us, full fuel, full baggage puts us just under gross of 1550. Cruise 103mph. Climb full gross 600 ft/min on 85° day at near sea level. I have to say that 15-20 more hp would be nice. Sorry for late responce.
Ken

Maverick
01-18-2020, 10:32 AM
I did have an Continental 0-200-A normally aspirated with Slick mags. I did put the battery in the tail. The plane flew very well but the empty weight was around 800#s. Steve and I flew together allot and he always got up faster, climbed faster, flew faster, etc. DesertFox4's KitFox was a IV with a long wing and a 912 ULS so his empty weight was lower. I also used the long wing. I used a ground adjustable 70" IvoProp. Cruise was 115mph with max 125 with the prop tuned to 2200 RPM. I changed the tune to 2350 RPM and slowed to 115 max and 105 cruise which improved the climb, shortened take off speed and maxed the RPM at 2700 where I wanted it. I used mogas when I could get it but in Phoenix back then it was difficult to find so I used avgas most always. It didn't seem to matter so far as performance.

Having spent time in Alaska, I would go for the setup you described. When I talked with Alaska pilots regarding the use of Rotax engines, nearly all of them said they would not use the Rotax for the same reasons you mentioned. There is more support for the traditional engines than for the Rotax.

Although I am going to use a 912uls in this build I would prefer the 0-200 tricked out like you describe. I do like the reliability, lack of maintenance issues, and simplicity of the 0-200.

Maverick

Maverick
01-18-2020, 10:34 AM
Forgot to mention that KF was a V with the 1550 spars.
Maverick

Denalifox
01-19-2020, 01:40 PM
I've been flying behind a stock low compression o200a in my 7ss for 3 years. I like it. I'm guessing it's like anything else, if you dont have a side by side comparison with a lighter one, you have nothing to complain about.
Wings are straight, not swept. Battery is odyssey 680 behind the seat. I think balance is perfect. Tail weight 58 lbs. Empty weight is 900 lbs, but I have traditional 6 pack steam gauges and custom made seats. My wife and I are 300 lbs combined. Us, full fuel, full baggage puts us just under gross of 1550. Cruise 103mph. Climb full gross 600 ft/min on 85° day at near sea level. I have to say that 15-20 more hp would be nice. Sorry for late responce.
Ken

Well that's good news. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the go fast parts will give me a little edge.

Denalifox
01-19-2020, 01:52 PM
I did have an Continental 0-200-A normally aspirated with Slick mags. I did put the battery in the tail. The plane flew very well but the empty weight was around 800#s...Maverick

yeah I think in my few years of flying up here Ive seen maybe 4 Rotax equipped birds. I appreciate all your input. While waiting for the 10 months for my kit to arrive Ive read every single thread on this website in prep and put ALOT of thought into my engine setup. Bang for buck and weight wise I keep coming back to a 200. Just curious to see what sort of numbers to expect.

DHeal
01-20-2020, 09:17 AM
I'm just a mere lower-49r aircraft owner but have question: Wouldn't having a "high comp" O-200 be a disadvantage to you if you needed to use low octane auto gas while in remote areas?

Denalifox
01-20-2020, 09:42 AM
High comp in this case is relative. Were talking 8:1. Nothing crazy like the Reno racers.

Shadowrider
01-21-2020, 09:48 AM
My concern would be weight. Same reason that I don't know of any TITAN flying STI'S as they are heavy. Looks like the 200 is 190lbs. Thats almost 50 pounds heavier than the 912. STI wing is quite a bit heavier than the 7ss. I think its around 40lbs heavier. 29" bush tires and monster gear and if your are adding a airmaster and doing poly fiber you will be getting close to 1000lbs.

Denalifox
01-21-2020, 10:01 AM
Yeah I suspect Ill be in the 930-950 range. From what im tracking and have seen the 915/O-200 are about the same weight. obviously power is less on the 200. By chance do you know what your Edge setup wet weighed in at? I've heard the 915 has around 70lbs on the 912 ULS. So I think throwing some go fast goodies at it I should have a pretty solid performer. Keep in mind my options are limited up here. If I drop a jug somewhere in BFE Alaska Id MUCH rather try and allocate a Continental cyl vs Rotax. There is just zero support here. Would I LOVE your setup or a fancy Rotax? You bet. I just have to be smart about it.

Shadowrider
01-21-2020, 10:41 AM
I wish we would have weighed them before we installed them, but at the time we did not have the intercooler and intake. I think I recall Jason saying they are slightly lighter than a 914? (4lbs maybe) of course that would be lost on the intercooler. My best guess is they are close to the same weight as a 914.

This is the first aircraft I have every flown with a rotax in it. I always thought the rotax where not that great. Now, I am no longer a rotax hater. :) I am new to the Rotax so maybe others can chime in. Generally a stock 912 if its going to have an issue, it does right at first. If not they will run forever. So far I have been impressed and I am far from stock. They don't burn oil and run so much smoother than traditional engines. Good thing is I don't think the rotax drops jugs like a traditional aircraft engine sometimes does. They just put holes in the side of cases:) That seems to only be happening to the big bores though. My point is they are very reliable engines. Stick and rudder would be a good resource as they run their training planes pretty hard.

I know your concerned about hand propping because of dead battery. Now days just carry a small jumper battery that weighs hardly anything. I understand if its not in the budget, but if it is possible the rotax would be one to take a hard look at because of its power to weight ratio. Just not sure what one would be best in your part of the country.

Looks like your doing your home-work so I am sure your aircraft is going to turn out great!

Denalifox
01-21-2020, 11:11 AM
I wish we would have weighed them before we installed them, but at the time we did not have the intercooler and intake. I think I recall Jason saying they are slightly lighter than a 914? (4lbs maybe) of course that would be lost on the intercooler. My best guess is they are close to the same weight as a 914.

This is the first aircraft I have every flown with a rotax in it. I always thought the rotax where not that great. Now, I am no longer a rotax hater. :) I am new to the Rotax so maybe others can chime in. Generally a stock 912 if its going to have an issue, it does right at first. If not they will run forever. So far I have been impressed and I am far from stock. They don't burn oil and run so much smoother than traditional engines. Good thing is I don't think the rotax drops jugs like a traditional aircraft engine sometimes does. They just put holes in the side of cases:) That seems to only be happening to the big bores though. My point is they are very reliable engines. Stick and rudder would be a good resource as they run their training planes pretty hard.

I know your concerned about hand propping because of dead battery. Now days just carry a small jumper battery that weighs hardly anything. I understand if its not in the budget, but if it is possible the rotax would be one to take a hard look at because of its power to weight ratio. Just not sure what one would be best in your part of the country.

Looks like your doing your home-work so I am sure your aircraft is going to turn out great!

Ill be perfectly honest when I say I think the Rotax Cowl looks way better. This is the hardest decision Ive ever had to make! Thanks for your help btw.

Shadowrider
01-21-2020, 11:14 AM
Anytime! Another thing to be figuring out is how to stay warm up there! I put larger heater fans that move twice as much air. It helps but when its below 10f it gets pretty chilly. Pretty drafty aircraft. Most of the cold air is coming from the tail. I have been contemplating sealing up the tail better.

Denalifox
01-21-2020, 11:34 AM
Yeah I hear ya on the open back drafty-ness. This tin can is an ice box in the winter! Haha. We actually hang the cowl blanket behind the seats to retain heat.
(first time posting a picture, hope it works)

Shadowrider
01-21-2020, 12:18 PM
You picture worked and looks good! Yeah I have considered putting foam back at the tail section and just had control rod pass through. This is not to keep heat in but to keep wind from blowing up into the cockpit.

trallen68
01-24-2020, 10:18 AM
I have a 7SS with an O-200 that I'm very pleased with. It has high compression pistons, dual electronic ignition, throttle body injection with lightweight starter and alternator. I'm using a Whirlwind prop. I am very pleased with this setup. Starts like a car and runs very smooth. The main reason that I used the O-200 is I had one setting on a stand that was low time. However, I've never regretted using it as it's been very reliable easy to service.

Denalifox
01-24-2020, 10:40 AM
Now were talkin! Care to share your numbers? HP, comp ratio, empty weight, VX/VY? is your comp ratio still low enough to run MOGAS or perhaps a MPGAS/100ll blend? Im thinking about staying right at 8:1. I THINK 91 octane with a splash of 100ll should keep me on the safe side.

Doggitz
01-24-2020, 09:27 PM
I too have spent endless hours thinking about engines. My 7SS is due next week, so I figure that I have about 8-12 months to decide on an engine. I want to build it is an LSA, so right now I am shooting for the 1320 target. I have changed my mind more times than I have changed my socks (which I do every day). I flew the Stick and Rudder plane with the 914, and it performed well. I am thinking about “coward’s” bush plane flying, so I want a little more HP than a 912. I am considering the Edge Performance engine as well. I though that I would chime in just to remind everyone that the FAA LSA weight limits may change soon, so other options (like the Titan) May be more realistic. I have a cub with a C90 which is a kissing cousin of the O-200, which I agree is a time-proven engine.

Fred

Denalifox
01-24-2020, 09:54 PM
you sir have just taken those words right out of my mouth. To a “t”. Glad Im not the only one. I also am considering the Edge EP912STi. The struggle is real!! My kit is due march. Been a LOOONG year.

favjo
01-26-2020, 05:43 PM
I have a 7SS with an O-200 that I'm very pleased with. It has high compression pistons, dual electronic ignition, throttle body injection with lightweight starter and alternator. I'm using a Whirlwind prop. I am very pleased with this setup. Starts like a car and runs very smooth. The main reason that I used the O-200 is I had one setting on a stand that was low time. However, I've never regretted using it as it's been very reliable easy to service.

can you tell me how ran the throttle cable and how you mounted the cable. Maybe I got the wrong controls, not sure how it locks to the Kitfox bracket.