PDA

View Full Version : getting a Kitfox 4 this weekend

Zorro
12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Well I always wanted one, now I'm getting a model 4 912ul 1050.
I had a pilot with experience check her out this week for me, and he say's it's a good one.
I'm going to finish my tail wheel endorsement in it, Iv'e been flying a J5 cub. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.
I know there is another Kitfox on the field here Pearson Field Vancouver WA. but I haven't met the pilot.
Any Advise for a rookie?

DesertFox4
12-16-2009, 03:35 PM
What a great Christmas present to yourself. Congrats. Get to know the other Kitfox owner on your field. Always nice to have someone else to fly with. Makes it 4 times as much fun.

Advice, pick a nice day for your first flight. Don't land your Kitfox with a tail wind until you have a fair amount of hours. Expect a very nice handling aircraft with quick response to control inputs. Be ready for your first take off to happen before you expect. Be ready for the angle of attack during take off to be higher than you are used to. Watch your speed on final. Too much speed and you will work a little to get it on the ground. If in doubt, go around. All Kitfox slip exceptionally well. Make sure you put gas in the tanks because you'll be having so much fun you may forget. Never quit flying the aircraft no matter what happens.
On a Model 4 912 Rotax equipped Kitfox, always pull the prop through several times, in the direction of engine rotation only, before the first start up each day(make sure ignition is off). Especially if it has sat for a few days or more. Gets the oil out of the cylinders before hitting the starter and bending something expensive inside the engine.

Slyfox
12-16-2009, 03:59 PM
you won't have to much trouble. I started flying, taking lessons in my kitfox. Had to do the check ride in the cessna, but that was ok. I now have over 1500 hrs in the kitfox and another 200 in the RV. I say go for it and have fun. If you can get a head wind down the runway of about 5 will be perfect. Than you can have a nice slow approach, calm is ok to. Just don't do the first with cross winds, save that for another flight.

Zorro
12-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advise. The present is from my Wife, not myself. I'm lucky to have a wife who supports her husband's flight addiction.

I have an instructor Theresa Nelson who is a aerobatic instructor CFII to help me get transitioned. I hope the last 15 hours of J5 Cub time ( in nasty weather) helps me transition, it was the only tail wheel available to me.

I knew there was only 1 direction to pull the prop through, didn't know which way thank you. I love slips, I never quit flying until an aircraft is shut down.
Now for some non-nonalcoholic fuel #@!! EPA!@$#

--
we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!

- Richard Bach

Hallgrimur
12-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Hi Zorro

I think you are into a suprice when you start flying your Kitfox. It is simply a wonderful and very forgiving airplane.
As I was reading the good advice you are getting re. handling the KF under training etc... I would as a old flight instructor also strongly recommend that you practise taxing your plane, get used to sit in her and the visibility from the cockpit you learn to cope with.
Further, you can on a rwy increase the speed, lift the tail and then slow down again as after landing. That way you can do a lot of the training yourself.. Have fun!

kind regardshttp://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
Hallgrimur TF-124

jdmcbean
12-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Congrats !! Get ready for lots of fun !!

You have received some very good advice and I want to emphasize on one of them...
We as pilots are programmed to land.. we are setup on approach, to high.. then too fast and or it just plain doesn't feel right... yet we make the best of it and grab the tiger by the tail and land tha aircraft... WE DO NOT HAVE TO LAND !! The best landings are usually proceded by a good approach.. so go around come back and setup a nice stable approach. (off the soap box)

Glad you like slips... :) The Kitfox does it better then most...

Av8r3400
12-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Awesome advise, John.

My (very wise ) instructor told me that a go-around is not a failed landing. It is just another phase of the landing process that needs to be practiced, too.

Also, his advise was not to taxi the plane unless you are ready to fly it. Especially "high speed" taxiing (Ill-advised). These planes fly at such a slow speed that taxiing becomes flying very, very quickly and unexpectedly.

I don't want to be a kiljoy, these little planes are an absolute blast. Just keep your head and expect the unexpected, especially when you are green. (With only about 50 hours of total Kitfox time, I still consider myself very green.)

cap01
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
turning the prop backwards was mentioned . along with never doing that , another good habit is pulling the prop thru by hand after shut down until the gurgle and checking the oil level . then do the same thing again before you start the engine if the plane has been sitting for any length of time . the oil will drain from the tank into the case and you certainly dont want to start the engine with a case full of oil . another thing in the cold weather the 912 is a totally different animal to get started . its amazing how just a little heat will help make an easy start . we made up a engine pre heater from a milkhouse heater and some dryer vent hose, put a blanket over the cowl and stuff it in around the prop . about an hour on low , works great , even when we were down in the 20s last week .
cp
yelm, wa
kitfox IV 1050
912ul, warpdrive

Slyfox
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
What is wrong with using the starter to do the prop turn over. On a 912s the compression is so that doing so will wear you out in no time. I for one do this with absolutely no ill affect. I do however have mag switches and a seperate switch for the starter. so turning the engine over mags off is a non event and I also have proven to myself that the oil res is in fact full after doing such.

Av8r3400
12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Nothing until you have an oil-hydrolocked cylinder. Then...

In their seminars, LEAF and Lockwood both recommended pulling the motor through by hand as slowly as possible because the slow release of the compression aids in clearing the oil back to the tank faster.

It would still be very advisable to pull it slowly through by hand at least several revolutions before engaging the starter.

Slyfox
12-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I forgot to mention, that I always turn the prop over when cold a few times to make sure it isn't hyperlocked. I just can't see killing your back for the rest of the turns, I generally turn it over for a count of 6 with the mags off and make sure I have good oil pressure.

Zorro
12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
thanks for the warm welcome! N645GR will be here tomorrow if the weather is VFR

The gas station that sold ethanol free gas said WA. GOV. made them stop and everything is has corn in it. ( I guess the pilot can't have drink but it's ok for the airplane) I'm thinking I'll try the marina I heard boats get straight gasoline? Funny I never heard of a boat falling out of the sky!

I have had experience with hydraulic lock when I drowned a dirt bike in a river, almost broke my shin kicking it over.

As for going around, my instructor calls the throttle "The Eraser Button" if a landing doesn't look good, Erase it. I'm not to proud to go around better than smashing a beautiful plain up.

I can't wait to see how fast she gets off the ground, I know the J5 cub jumps up quick, I'm thinking it'll look like a C-172 next to the Kitfox.

I guess it'll be another sleepless night until she is here

jrthomas
12-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey cap01, what would be the purpose of turning the prop over by hand after shut down? I've never heard this one. Shouldn't the reservoir be as full as it's going to get right after shut down? Thanks, James Thomas

cap01
12-17-2009, 08:05 PM
zorro. good luck finding alki free gas . we lost our station that handled it a couple of weeks ago in the olympia area . i ran the first alki gas in 40kf last week , really hated to do that . ups delivered a new 13 gal wing tank today so as soon as i can get it installed at least one side i wont have to worry about . the tanks i have in her now i sloshed with an epoxy sealer that is alki resistant but who know how good that is .
cp

cap01
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
jr . your probably correct , if you checked the oil right after shut down . i usually am doing other things and get around to checking oil after shes gassed and put away . guess i should change my habits . then before i fly the next time i pull it thru enough to make sure the oils out of the case , not concerned about oil level as long as no puddles under the airplane since i knew it was good when i checked it last
cp

Slyfox
12-18-2009, 08:15 AM
I see no advantage at all. I always check my oil level after shut down and I don't do this and the level is right where it needs to be.

kitfoxnick
12-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Congratulations on the 4 your gonna love it. I bought my 4 april of 08 and trained in it. The one thing that takes a little getting use to is training yourself not to look down the cowl on landing if you do you'll land crabbed. Instead pick a point down the runway and keep it straight. These planes are a real hoot to fly. I started out getting my sport in mine and this past October I took my private pilot test in it. With just under 150 hrs in it this plane has a ton to teach me. Take it slow keep it safe and enjoy.

Nick W

Zorro
12-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I love my new Kitfox!! Holly Cow that thing is fun!

So The people at the flight school her at Pearson Field have said the won't train me in it. The manager/chief pilot has forbid any employees to fly in my Kitfox. He also gave me quite a bit of a hard time for buying it.

I need to find some one who is a CFI and has kit fox time to get me up to speed. The insurance company said I need to have ten hours.
The guy who delivered it, Grant Smith had plenty if Kitfox fox time but he lives kinda far.
dang it I'm stuck to the ground

catz631
12-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Zorro,
I am sorry to hear that the local flight school is giving you a hard time on your Kitfox. If it's not a tin can they don't know how to deal with it. Keep looking and you will find your instructor. If you lived in my area,I would gladly do it .I am a CFI with over 15000 hours of flight time (military flight instructor,airline flight instructor,etc) and own a nice Kitfox 4 (thanks to John McBean)
The Kitfox is a nice aircraft. I am sure someone on this foruum or the Matronics forrum will know someone close to you that can give you the required time. There are more Kitfoxes out west then any other area ,I believe. .
Dick Maddux
Milton,Florida

SkyPirate
12-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Well are you going to introduce us to your new love?? how bought a photo??

Chase

jdmcbean
12-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Please forward me contact information on the FLight school and preferably the Cheif Pilots name as well. I would love to have a visit with them.

Slyfox
12-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I remember when I was learning to fly. Same problem, there were pilots in the school that thought the experimental aircraft of any kind were unsafe. I had one instructor in the school that turned white (over fear) over the fact I had an experimental. Don't let that bother you. The cost involved with operating a spam can is terrible. I've saved thousands over the years in fuel and maintenance. Welcome to the world of affordable flying.

Zorro
12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I have photo's up in the folder, it was well built by Gerald Rehn in 1996
As a custom fabricator my self who has worked on a Glassair III with a 650 bhp turbo prop, I have to say he did a great job.