PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Tri-Gear Height

Hawkertech
12-27-2019, 07:22 PM
Looking into maybe getting an enclosed trailer, but need to know the tail height of the tri gear kitfox, every trailer I find has a 7 ft ceiling, even the custom made aircraft trailers, they seem to be all be made for taildraggers. It says 8 ft on the kitfox web site, just wanted to know for sure.

Dusty
12-27-2019, 09:56 PM
A nose wheeler becomes a taildragger when the wings are folded. There is a YouTube video out there somewhere. Prop clearance may be more relevant?

Dave S
12-28-2019, 07:16 AM
Hawker,

Dusty's comments rings true.

Yup, a trigear standing on all three puts the top of the tail at 8 feet.

With the wings folded - a trigear will have the tail a little lower than would be the case with a tail wheel (because of the tailwheel structure vs tailskid). With the wings folded - a trigear will have the top of the tail about eyeball height.

I know of one case where transporting a tailwheel kitfox the prop had to be removed to fit the plane in a trailer. A trigear will place the prop higher with the wings folded than with an equivalent tailwheel due to the location of the main gear.

Hawkertech
12-28-2019, 07:57 AM
Thanks, didn't think about the weight change when the wings were folded, sounds like a tail cradle would be a good idea to get the appropriate height all around, Maybe on wheels with a winch to help pull it in the trailer. The main reason I am thinking covered trailer is to protect from hail. I can't afford a hanger. I don't think, but Ill be checking with my local EAA chapter.

Dave S
12-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Hawker,

I think you are on the right track - I didn't think of it on my earlier response; however, your comment triggered a memory I had of the tail dolly I fabricated to get the plane in and out of my 7 foot high garage door during the build - with the prop in the right position and the single wheel tail dolly (made from cheap scrap around the shop & utilizing the two open tubes on the bottom of the fuselage) it went under the door just fine.

Photo attached

Hawkertech
12-28-2019, 09:30 AM
Also I would need to figure out how to safely strap the tail down so it doesn't bounce.