PDA

View Full Version : Inspection Ring Inner Cut Out

Birdseyeview
12-06-2019, 09:29 AM
I've attached my first inspection ring on the underside of the left wing near the pitot tube connections. I'm wondering how close to cut out the inner diameter of the fabric next to the embedded plastic ring. Is there some small distance we should normally allow so that some of the fabric below the plastic ring still contacts the patch fabric above the ring? Or do we just trust the glue joint on the embedded plastic ring and cut the fabric back right next to the plastic ring's inner diameter? Because I'm cautious when trying something new for the first time I've cut only a portion of the inner fabric away until I get a consensus from those with more experience. Thanks ahead of time for any of you sharing your experience.

109JB
12-06-2019, 10:28 AM
You can cut right up to the inner diameter of the ring. You pretty much have to in order to get the cover on.

jiott
12-06-2019, 10:54 AM
I agree, cut right up to the plastic ring.

Dave S
12-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Larry,

A person can experiment with how much needs to go by trial fitting a cover into the hole. Interestingly enough, that ends up being right up to the ring in order to get the cover in - at least with the rings most of us use.

jrevens
12-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Larry,

You don't have to cut it at all until you have to access that area some day, then you can cut it and install a pre-painted cover (I painted a few extras). I agree - cut up to the edge of the plastic. You could cut it as you have already, then notch the fabric that overhangs, wrap the "tabs" around & glue to the back side, but that's probably just unnecessary work IMO.

Birdseyeview
12-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the voice of experience from all of you. A little assurance goes a long way and is much appreciated.

t j
12-06-2019, 03:56 PM
You can use the method jrevens described to retrofit an inspection ring if you need one after the airplane is finished and painted. Glue an inspection ring to the outside of the cover, cut out and notch the fabric inside the ring the width of the ring, then fold it to the outside and glue to the ring. I used this method when I realized that the one ring I had installed wasn't enough to service the elevator control tube bearing. I needed to get two hands inside, not just one to do a good job.

kitfoxrk
12-08-2019, 06:23 AM
On a somewhat related note, what type of inspection covers are people using? ACS lists domed and recessed.

All responses appreciated.

Bob

Dave S
12-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Bob,

6 of one,..., 1/2 dozen of the other - I doubt that it makes any difference other than a person's tastes - pick the ones you like to look at.

I got the domed ones because I like the smooth uncluttered look. Some thoughts are that the domed ones are more prone to sliding but I haven't seen that happen at all.