PDA

View Full Version : Disassembly cleaning wing tank KITFOX3

ChrisKitfox
11-29-2019, 10:50 AM
Hello, we found during the andoscopic inspection of a wing tank of my kitfox that the coating in the tank was detached and decomposed.
You could see the photo joint.
Has anyone ever had this problem? Disassembly, cleaning? Your solutions?
Thank you,

Chris

jiott
11-29-2019, 11:10 AM
To me the fuel system is way too critical of a safety item to mess with trying to fix the problem you have. My opinion is to replace the tanks with the new alcohol resistant ones.

Shadowrider
11-29-2019, 11:59 AM
I second that notion. Replace with new tanks that you don't have to worry about ethanol hurting them.

ChrisKitfox
11-29-2019, 12:04 PM
To me the fuel system is way too critical of a safety item to mess with trying to fix the problem you have. My opinion is to replace the tanks with the new alcohol resistant ones.

It is clear that it would be best but I do not know if I will find the tanks for my model. I do not know if it's fiberglass tanks

ChrisKitfox
11-29-2019, 12:06 PM
It is clear that it would be best but I do not know if I will find the tanks for my model. I do not know if it's fiberglass tanks

Do you have the procedure for this replacement? Instructions? photos? tutorial?

Shadowrider
11-29-2019, 02:06 PM
Does kitfox sell them for your plane. If not I would pick brandon’s brain on maybe modifying the tanks they sell to make them work in yours? He would be the best resource as I know brandon told me he spent a lot of time researching resin that is safe with ethanol.

avidflyer
11-29-2019, 02:19 PM
I believe others have used acetone (or something) to dissolve the Kreem fuel tank sloshing compound and recoated their tanks with that or some other tank seal compound. If you do a search in the archives, I think you can find posts about it. That would be my first thought on how to solve the problem. JImChuk

PS, what were you trying to show in the second picture besides the disgusted look on your face?

bumsteer
11-29-2019, 04:08 PM
New tanks for the 3 are shown as available in the online Kitfox catalog but it does say you have to specify the wing twist. As stated, a call to Kitfox may provide some answers.

Rick

ChrisKitfox
11-30-2019, 12:18 AM
New tanks for the 3 are shown as available in the online Kitfox catalog but it does say you have to specify the wing twist. As stated, a call to Kitfox may provide some answers.

Rick

Hello, thank you for your answer. I am in France and it is not easy here.
Can you give me the link on the Kitfox catalog. I want Brandon's contact to know he did? Is disassembly of the wing tank complicated?
Can it be done without deoiling (remove the canvas)?
Thank you

ChrisKitfox
11-30-2019, 12:33 AM
I believe others have used acetone (or something) to dissolve the Kreem fuel tank sloshing compound and recoated their tanks with that or some other tank seal compound. If you do a search in the archives, I think you can find posts about it. That would be my first thought on how to solve the problem. JImChuk

PS, what were you trying to show in the second picture besides the disgusted look on your face?

The second photo shows the modification made on the control panels. We had a flutter problem during the first flight after the purchase
of the machine. We looked for possible tracks. There is the game in the kinematics of the command. We replaced some parts including
the chappes. It's not my face but that of one of the technicians of the aeronautical maintenance training center who is working
on the Kitfox with students. other photos of the project:235302353223531 ..

bumsteer
11-30-2019, 07:26 AM
To get to the catalog click on the Kitfox logo at the top of the pages here or www.kitfoxaircraft.com. Click on "Store" and download the catalog. The phone number will also be available. I know a phone call wouldn't be cheap, but would answer a lot of your questions. Or send an email.

Rick

avidflyer
11-30-2019, 07:58 AM
I searched a bit in the archives using the word Kreem and found a good bit of info on others who had cleaned their tanks. If you do remove the tanks, you will have to cut the top fabric off above the tank to change them out. Here is a link to one thread on removing the kreem from tanks. JImChuk
https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/4124-In-Wing-Kreem-Slosh-removal-method?highlight=kreem

Shadowrider
11-30-2019, 08:15 AM
If your going to the trouble to remove the tanks, I would just replace them.

Brandon can be reached through facebook. I think if you send a message to kitfox on facebook is how to get ahold of Brandon.

ChrisKitfox
11-30-2019, 09:23 AM
To get to the catalog click on the Kitfox logo at the top of the pages here or www.kitfoxaircraft.com (http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com). Click on "Store" and download the catalog. The phone number will also be available. I know a phone call wouldn't be cheap, but would answer a lot of your questions. Or send an email.

Rick

Thanks, I found it but the question is, how to remove the tank?

Best regards

ChrisKitfox
11-30-2019, 09:35 AM
I searched a bit in the archives using the word Kreem and found a good bit of info on others who had cleaned their tanks. If you do remove the tanks, you will have to cut the top fabric off above the tank to change them out. Here is a link to one thread on removing the kreem from tanks. JImChuk
https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/4124-In-Wing-Kreem-Slosh-removal-method?highlight=kreem

Excellent information !! Thank you. I would like to avoid the expense of tanks ordered on another continent ... I'm looking at that. thanks again

ChrisKitfox
11-30-2019, 09:36 AM
If your going to the trouble to remove the tanks, I would just replace them.

Brandon can be reached through facebook. I think if you send a message to kitfox on facebook is how to get ahold of Brandon.

I don't find Brandon on Facebook. Is it the kitfox page?

avidflyer
11-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Excellent information !! Thank you. I would like to avoid the expense of tanks ordered on another continent ... I'm looking at that. thanks again

I have used KBS fuel tank sealer several times and it seemed to work ok. I have wing rotisseries that I could rotate the wings in, so that was a big help to move the sloshing compound around. JImChuk

Shadowrider
11-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Sorry I don’t do Facebook but my brother says become friends with Brandon Petersen, and then use Facebook messenger.

ChrisKitfox
12-01-2019, 02:32 AM
I have used KBS fuel tank sealer several times and it seemed to work ok. I have wing rotisseries that I could rotate the wings in, so that was a big help to move the sloshing compound around. JImChuk

Do you know if this product can be applied to the old layer of the original product?

ChrisKitfox
12-01-2019, 02:33 AM
Sorry I don’t do Facebook but my brother says become friends with Brandon Petersen, and then use Facebook messenger.

Ok, thanks, I try that..

ChrisKitfox
12-01-2019, 02:39 AM
Ok, thanks, I try that..

There are many Brandon Petersen on Facebook, I need a link to the correct one. otherwise I can not find it

Shadowrider
12-01-2019, 05:56 AM
Sorry I don’t do Facebook, but he is the one who lives in Nampa, ID from Boise ID.

avidflyer
12-01-2019, 06:43 AM
Do you know if this product can be applied to the old layer of the original product?

I would think you would want to get as much of the old Kreem out as you could. It seems that the Caswell tank sealer has been used also with good results, it's just that I've never used it myself. Just happened to buy the KBS the first time, and when it worked, that was my go to product the second time around. JImChuk

HighWing
12-01-2019, 05:11 PM
I agree with avidflyer. I had a minor leak in my (Mod IV) tanks and while still in the wing, sloshed with Acetone and then re-Kreemed. This was about half way through my ten year 900 hours. And thinking about the history of Kitfoxes overall - 40 shipped in an average month when I ordered my first one, I would think if there were significant issues with the 2 - 3000 out there, the topic would have been much more common in all of the forums. A note regarding the replace the tanks suggestion, the new tanks - ethanol resistant - won't fit in a pre Model IV wing - incompatible airfoil.

ChrisKitfox
12-02-2019, 12:58 AM
Hello,
Thanks for these informations. This is the solution that I think to adopt but I do not have rotisseries in which I could turn the wings.
The solution is complicated. I also plan to replace the side tanks with tanks located behind the pilot's seats.

But before making this decision, I would like to evaluate the first solution.
How long does it take to turn the wings before drying the Kreemed product?
This seems important to me if the operation must be done at arm's length!

Best regards

HighWing
12-03-2019, 12:00 PM
When I had my wing tank leak, re-sloshing seemed the simplest solution – then put four more years on the airplane. To help with the project, I made a gimballed stand that would hold the outboard end of the wing in a movable fashion as I raised and rotated the inboard end of the wing in order to “hopefully” coat every surface. I couldn’t find pictures of the stand so made a drawing that illustrated what was made. The height of the stand was about mid chest as it gave a good range of movement. The Pivot was made from pipe fittings, A nipple with a flange attached to it was inserted into another flange drilled to give about an eighth inch clearance around the nipple. Then an end cap was tightened on the nipple. The end cap was ground to a roundish shape. The structural wood was modified where necessary. I found that MEK was the thinning agent used on the Kreem so used that as a preliminary cleaning and surface prep slosh.

ChrisKitfox
12-05-2019, 11:36 AM
I would think you would want to get as much of the old Kreem out as you could.
It seems that the Caswell tank sealer has been used also with good results, it's just that I've never used it myself. Just happened to buy the KBS the first time,
and when it worked, that was my go to product the second time around. JImChuk

Thank you for these responses.
I think for the moment the views of the complexity of the site, I will opt for the solution of two cisterns tank behind the seats.
At least initially.
Bes,t regards

HighWing
12-05-2019, 12:07 PM
I would think you would want to get as much of the old Kreem out as you could. It seems that the Caswell tank sealer has been used also with good results, it's just that I've never used it myself. Just happened to buy the KBS the first time, and when it worked, that was my go to product the second time around. JImChuk

I think Jim as right on this one. During my recent experimenting regarding this thread, I found my old bottle of Kreem - long expired and hard as stiff rubber. I got a couple of chunks out and put each of them in a shot glass then poured Acetone in one and MEK in the other and let them sit. The Acetone one just sat there, whereas the MEK one began to diffuse into the MEK giving it a milky color. As I recall, I might have used a gallon of MEK two quarts at a time rinsing and prepping my tank. Then thinking a bit too much - that maybe the dissolved Kreem might have penetrated and sealed the leaking areas - I added a little fuel and presto, leaks all over the place. I suppose the MEK worked as a removal agent.

avidflyer
12-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Thank you for these responses.
I think for the moment the views of the complexity of the site, I will opt for the solution of two cisterns tank behind the seats.
At least initially.
Bes,t regards

Just some random thoughts of mine. Fuel tanks behind the seat will effect the CG much more then the wing tanks would. Some calculations to determine what that effect would be would probably be wise, before u start making those tanks. Also building and installing them will require a good deal of effort. It may be easier to make up some wing stands and just flush out the old Kreem and reseal the existing tanks. JImChuk