PDA

View Full Version : Bulging Lexan while Skinning Doors

rcbif
11-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Trying to put full lexan doors on my 5, and not having any luck getting the lexan to sit flush. No matter where I start clamping, I end up with an excessive bulging in one location. I'm wondering the the horizontal center tube on the 5 is maybe more curved and giving me these issues. I can't really see how it is possible at all with the curved center tube, since it makes everything a compound bend. Any advice?

Hawkertech
11-28-2019, 03:31 PM
Can you gently heat the lexan to form it? If you have a scrap piece you can experiment.

rcbif
11-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Can you gently heat the lexan to form it? If you have a scrap piece you can experiment.

Possibly, but I haven't heard of anyone having to do that. It's hard to tell from pictures online how the doors of 7s and super sports compare to mine.

109JB
11-28-2019, 11:44 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the factory one piece doors are pre-formed acrylic and when doing polycarbonate it is a 2-piece, top/bottom affair.

rcbif
11-29-2019, 06:27 AM
The 7 manual shows it is a single piece of .060 lexan.

HighWing
11-29-2019, 08:36 AM

The spec sheets on the Polycarbonate I have used says that it is rather heavily infused with water and if heated over 212 degrees will develop internal fogging from the moisture steaming. It can be dried by soaking the entire sheet at about 150 degrees for a time. I have heat formed small polycarbonate parts using that technique.

kitfox2009
11-29-2019, 11:07 AM
A couple of years ago I skinned the doors on my Vixen with Lexan. Used a heat gun "very carefully" and was able to make the compound bend work.
Just take your time and it should work out OK.
Have fun
Cheers
Don

rcbif
11-29-2019, 12:23 PM
What area did you end up heating the most, or what part of the door needed the most forming?

bumsteer
11-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Although I used 2 separate sheets, the portion that had to shaped was the lower front portion just below the crossbar where there is a slight angle to the frame. I clamped the sheet on my table saw with the bend line on the edge and as stated, carefully used a heat gun to form the bend just for about 6-8 inches.

Rick

kitfox2009
12-01-2019, 09:48 AM
What area did you end up heating the most, or what part of the door needed the most forming?

Yes, the front edge at the most acute angle requires the most work (and care). it is doable though.

Cheers
Don

rcbif
12-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Well much to my surprise, with enough clamps, I somehow got my left side door skin to sit flat without bulges when clamped down- without heat!
Could not believe it. Removed and reattached to be sure, and double and triple checked for cupping that would cause the skin to pop back and forth. The door skin looks good with no weird angles, is tight, and no weird angles.

So now the second will be a piece of cake.....right? Nope....will get it eventually though. Atleast I know its possible.