PDA

View Full Version : 912A coolant air bleed?

Iceflyer
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi.

I need to replace a coolant hose due to serious chaffing with the frame. Just purchased the plane and have no manuals.

Do I need to bleed the coolant system for air after replacing the hose or do I just refill with coolant and go?

Its a Kitfox III with 912A

SkyPirate
12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
2 choices ..drain the coolant completely and replace your hose,..refill..with cap not tight, run the engine to temp so thermostat opens ..shut down and refill,..or

Get bucket and funnel ready first ..disconnect lowest point of hose to replace ..drain until water stops..replace hose,..refill .. warm up until thermo stat opens ..refill ..should be good to go .

if you get air in the system you will see water temp fluctuate drastically,.. when the thermostat opens it will "burp" any air in the system leaving space to put more fluid in .

Chase

SkyPirate
12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
also ,..take note to where the hose was rubbing ..even if you put stainless braided lines on I would put a shield on the area that was rubbing .. something ductile that can be formed like a 1/2 shell around the hose ,..wire tie it in place,..
I would not wire tie the hose in a way that pulled the hose away from the area that was rubbing ,..reason for this,..if you pull the hose away to far your putting more bends in the hose ,..once the engine is to temp the hose will get very plyable creating a place where cavitation could occur or even worse ..a kink which would not be good .

Chase

Iceflyer
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanx SkyPirate

Actually the old hose was routed wrong so it rubbed to the engine frame. I will route it differently so it should not rub anything now.

Av8r3400
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Neither of my 912s have thermostats in them. Unless your 912 is modified to have one, they did not come with one. (Per LEAF and Lockwood seminars at Airventure 2009)

I don't know how to bleed the coolant system or if it even needs to be, so I can't comment there.

Slyfox
12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree, just let all the fluid out. There isn't that much anyway. Than you know what you have. The lowest part is the radiator, so release a hose there.

As far as an air bleed, I've never had a problem with getting all the air out. Fill it until it's full. Run it for a few minutes and check it. I went one step further and flew it around the pattern a few times, landed and checked it.

SkyPirate
12-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Ahh I forgot ..rotax doesn't use thermostats to eliminate cold siezure proplems ..good call Av8r3400 ^5

Chase

kitfox2009
09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
This may be a bit premature when the current temps here in BC are over 34 degrees C but I am pretty sure winter will come again this year. I have problems maintaining water temps during the winter. Experimented with shutters, tape and baffles last year with very mixed results.
Has anyone tried or are using the Thermo-Bob thermostat built for motorcycles.
This would seem to be the answer for uniform engine temps, both winter and summer.
Would appreciate any comments and experiences.

Cheers
Don
Model 5 Vixen 912UL IVO IFA.

kitfox2009
09-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Hello All
I am a bit surprised this topic has not received any replies and/or comments. I would think someone must be using these thermostats on their 912`s.
Cheers
Don

enyaw
09-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Would be curious to why it is specifically labeled "NOT FOR AIRCRAFT USE"

kmach
09-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi Don,
I ordered an inline thermostat from www.highwingllc.com (http://www.highwingllc.com) ,as well as an oil cooler shutter. I am going to give that a try. I also have looked at the thermo-bob , I think on my installation the cockpit heater radiator circuit will be my "bypass" most of the time. especially in winter.

I also would like to hear from others that have installed an inline thermostat on a 912.

kmach
09-17-2011, 08:33 AM
I believe that is purely an I'm not liable statement.

I saw on a forum, can't remember which one, while researching, that they asked for the development of the bob- 1 with 1" barbs for 912 guys, because guys were using the smaller barbed ones and adapting with fittings on their 912's. I am still a little leary on being experimental with these inline setups on my 912 but am going to give it a try. lots of ground runs and testing planned !

kitfox2009
10-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Hello All
I now have about 4 hours on my "Thermo-Bob" inline thermostat and even though it is not cold enough yet for a accurate test I believe it will work well. It seems to warmup considerable faster and even doing circuits the temperature remains steady with no fluctuations (air temp this morning +6C).
I have big hopes for this unit as the temperatures decrease. The unit appears very well built, easy to install, (I replaced the coolant at the same time), and the supplier provided excellent service.

Happy Thankgiving to all our Canadian KFer`s and I know it is a bit early but same to the folks south of the border!

Have fun
Don

Papa Beach
10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Don,

I have had similar problems keeping temps up on my 912 so look forward to further reports from you. By the way, have you checked with the Rotax guys in Kelowna?

kitfox2009
10-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Papa Beach
No, I haven`t asked about engine temps a Rotec Research in Vernon. I usually get my parts from them or Bob at Light Engine in Salmon Arm. Both seem to have good service but fortunately I haven`t needed much.Looking forward to this thermostat result though. Well, not exactly, sort of enjoying the nice warm fall. Just like Winnipeg!!

Cheers
Don

Papa Beach
10-11-2011, 07:43 AM
One of the concerns I have is the impact this may have on warranties or the option to extend TBO if putting something in that Rotax hasn't blessed, so would check with Rotech before I went too far.

On the other hand, I hate winters so try to spend that time in the Caribbean and Florida...though Winnipeg is beginning to look like a viable option!