PDA

View Full Version : 582 gray head rpm issue. Help needed!

beeryboats
09-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Help! Is there a doctor in the house? My engine was rebuilt and I was in the process of running in the engine but it will not come up to full rpm. Here is what I've checked, warpdrive prop is set to 11 degrees, both carb needles are on the third groove from the top per Rotax, carp tops are level relative to each other, both slides are in sync and will fully open at full throttle. But it will only reach 5500rpm, and will only hold there for a minute before the egt's drop and it slows down to 5000rpm.
I've exhausted my trouble shooting skills, and I'm begging for help. Anyone in Indiana willing to make a house call?

Av8r_Sed
09-19-2019, 09:09 PM
Are you using a K&N air filter? Have you cleaned and re-oiled it per instructions? Not too much oil on it, just a light mist turning the element light pink? I'm thinking it might be having trouble breathing freely.

Sorry, I can't make house calls.

beeryboats
09-21-2019, 05:27 AM
Yes it's a K&N in good shape. I've ordered a TinyTach and will double check what the Rotax tachometer is telling me. I'll keep you posted.

Norm
09-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Help! Is there a doctor in the house? My engine was rebuilt and I was in the process of running in the engine but it will not come up to full rpm. Here is what I've checked, warpdrive prop is set to 11 degrees, both carb needles are on the third groove from the top per Rotax, carp tops are level relative to each other, both slides are in sync and will fully open at full throttle. But it will only reach 5500rpm, and will only hold there for a minute before the egt's drop and it slows down to 5000rpm.
I've exhausted my trouble shooting skills, and I'm begging for help. Anyone in Indiana willing to make a house call?
I can't make a house call but I am willing to talk to you on the phone if you want. I have sent you an email and we can get the conversation started.

Cobramatt
10-26-2019, 08:20 AM
I've had similar issue, opposite direction to many rpm and found prop set at 4.5 degrees. Tried 10 and only got 5500 rpm then went down until i got 5900 and ended at 8 degrees. Blue top with low hours.

beeryboats
10-29-2019, 04:19 PM
I've had similar issue, opposite direction to many rpm and found prop set at 4.5 degrees. Tried 10 and only got 5500 rpm then went down until i got 5900 and ended at 8 degrees. Blue top with low hours.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That's the help I needed. A starting point. A busy weekend coming up, but maybe I can get the prop pitch set and run up next spring.
jay