PDA

View Full Version : Mike Patey Crashed Draco

CaptBeach
09-16-2019, 01:46 PM
He is alive with some bruises and you can tell he is crushed...will try to post video. Draco looks to be a total loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs

Happened today?

Av8r3400
09-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Yes. Happened today. Mike, Chandra and Troy are completely unhurt, thank God.

David47
09-16-2019, 03:14 PM
So very sad to see him as devastated as he is. Building an iconic airplane and then seeing it like that would be shattering. Good thing is no-one hurt. Go well in your next adventure Mike Patey. Sympathy for the loss.

CaptBeach
09-16-2019, 04:42 PM
He will bounce back like a champ. He is working on a 750cu/in 550hp Super Cub named Scrappy. Real glad he walked away from it.

Rik
09-17-2019, 06:36 PM
I wonder if he can replace the wing spar and remount the wings.

Seems the left landing gear broke, the windshield cracked, the prop is toast (don't know what the tear down inspection on the gearbox would be like) and the rear elevator needs some work.

If, real big IF the fuselage did not wrinkle is it that hard to change the spars? The wings look good just not attached anymore.

SNOW JW
09-17-2019, 08:16 PM
The amount of time he had in that build was crazy! He is the Elon Musk of aircrafts.

PapuaPilot
09-17-2019, 10:05 PM
It looks like every major part of the plane was severely damaged.

For the PT6 engine, it will need to be sent to an approved overhaul shop that will do a complete teardown and inspection. The reduction gearbox and all of its gears will probably need to be replaced. When a PT6 has a prop strike it is going to wrinkle the exhaust duct. If you are fortunate it won't transfer the damage into the back of the engine, which is the gas generator case (compressor, hot section and accessory gear box). My guess is this engine would cost well over 6 figures to do an IRAN.

aviator79
09-18-2019, 08:22 AM
The amount of time he had in that build was crazy! He is the Elon Musk of aircrafts.

No, He's the Mike Patey of aircraft! I'd rather have one Mike Patey on this planet than a thousand Elon Musks.

UserName
09-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Lucky for us, God blessed this world with two M. Pateys.