PDA

View Full Version : The Wait is Over

Pages : [1] 2

DesertFox4
03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
March 1st may have come in like a lion here in Arizona but it brought with the very badly needed rain, a very special delivery from the great State of Kitfox , ah, I mean Idaho.

Like so many of you on these forums, I too have anticipated the arrival of something very special from our friends at Kitfox Aircraft LLC.

Yesterday a trailer arrived with some gorgeous airplane parts in the form of a fuselage kit, several large and a few small boxes and lots of dreams tucked safely inside. What a thrill. :) Having John and Debra personally deliver the kit and being able to spend a great evening with them and Phil, Phil's family and Col. & Mrs. Col. Prokes was the icing on the cake.

The TeamKitfox members have certainly set the bar high for me with all the beautiful craftsmanship I've seen over the past years. Thanks for the inspiration and I'll make no apologies for stealing some of your great ideas over the next months.;)
Let the fun begin.

Below you'll see a photo with 3 folks that without their dedication, hard work and love of this wonderful aircraft design, this day would not have been possible.

SkySteve
03-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Steve,
You're crossing over to the dark side 7SS? Wow! You, sir, are a
lucky man, and an Ace! You are now my true idol!:cool:

DanB
03-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Great news Steve!!! Congratulations are certainly in order knowing fun times are ahead.:D

Dorsal
03-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Excellent, what a delivery team! I like the new "quick build" wing in the truck :)
What a cool plane and community.

desertfox1
03-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Yep, that really is quick build, isn't it? Wings for the 914 powered
Super Sport Bill and I are building. We had to get Doc 's kit out
to get to my wings.

Steve has a a very nice model 4 so can't wait to see his SS as he builds.

Congrats on the move Steve

Phil

AirFox
03-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Congradulations Steve!

I like the black powder coating! Thought maybe the factory was offering a super quick build wing option. There is lots of work in those wings. That is some good customer service from John and Deb as usual!

Good luck on your build!

Scott

DesertFox4
03-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the encouragement. :) I'll need all I can get after seeing the show planes coming out of all your garages and hangars lately. Lots of talented aircraft builders hanging out here.

Yep, that really is quick build, isn't it? Wings for the 914 powered
Super Sport Bill and I are building. The wings are beautiful. Love the color.;)

Wait till you see the rest of the Kitfox Phil & Bill are building. Spectacular as always.

Danh
03-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Yippie,,, build on and keep up to date with photos

Av8r3400
03-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Congrats Steve!

I want to see another build thread starting here real soon… :cool:

Paul Z
03-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Congratulations Steve, I love the yellow!

SkyPirate
03-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Congrats Steve !! I figured it wouldnt be long before you pulled the trigger :)

jrevens
03-03-2014, 04:23 PM
I am happy for you, Steve! Have you decided on what engine you'll use yet?

DesertFox4
03-03-2014, 05:14 PM
John- 912ULS for me.
Not yet interested in the 912is as it has less torque than the 912ULS and the price.
914 would be a hoot but again, price.

Paul Z
03-03-2014, 06:07 PM
When did John McBean get Ito the airplane moving business? :confused: I bet his rates are higher than Pertain:). I will admit John and Debbie will go above and beyond the call of duty to help their Customers. :D. Good luck and have fun building your SS7.

DesertFox6
03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
WHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! (pant, pant, pant)

I was wondering how much longer you were going to keep that cat in the bag; I couldn't hold my breath much longer anyway! :D

"Christmas" arrived a bit late for you but at least coincided with a major NASCAR event at Phoenix International Raceway this weekend; hope our favorite NASCAR fans, John and Debra, got to see some of that too. ;)

Lemme know when it's safe for the rest of the "relatives" to drop by to help admire the new arrival and you know I work cheap when you need an extra hand! Keep the baby pics coming!

"E.T."
(SIGH!) Then there's that dang Rotec powered "Hussy" staring off the Kitfox add on page 63 of KITPLANES' April issue and AGAIN from the subscription post card insert jammed to the following page...it's gettin' to me, man...

DesertFox4
03-03-2014, 11:03 PM
When did John McBean get Ito the airplane moving business?They've always been in that business Paul. They prefer to move them by flying them everywhere is all.;) All kidding aside, they came down to pick up lots of sexy airplane parts from Phil and Bill for customers all over the world. It just worked out timing wise to get the McBeans, with a trailer, coming our direction. They both helped unload my fuselage kit too.:) How great is that? They're the best.
Thanks for the well wishes Paul.
Hope you're getting some good flying in when able.

DesertFox4
03-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks E.T.
I'll take you up on the offer for assistance.:)
I agree with you on that Rotec powered Kitfox. One sweet looking machine.
Maybe it's time for a new radial powered Kitfox project at the Glendale Airport.;)

Paul Z
03-04-2014, 08:13 AM
They flew mine to Texas and some guys to Florida. Your kit would have been a little harder to fly down. John would have had to go to the Gym, and work on his upper body strength to use those wings to fly it down.

Florida
They've always been in that business Paul. They prefer to move them by flying them everywhere is all.;) All kidding aside, they came down to pick up lots of sexy airplane parts from Phil and Bill for customers all over the world. It just worked out timing wise to get the McBeans, with a trailer, coming our direction. They both helped unload my fuselage kit too.:) How great is that? They're the best.
Thanks for the well wishes Paul.
Hope you're getting some good flying in when able.

rosslr
03-05-2014, 12:03 AM
Great news and love the excitement! I am just a little miffed that mine wasn't personally delivered by the McB's!

Looking forward to the progress!

cheers
ross

wheelerg
03-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Great news and love the excitement! I am just a little miffed that mine wasn't personally delivered by the McB's!

Looking forward to the progress!

cheers
ross

That would be a story that would have to be told !

DesertFox4
03-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Update-
Inventory completed.
Controls fitted and installed.
Push/pull tubes to elevator in.
Flapperon/flaps mixer fitted and installed.
Floor boards fitted, epoxy varnished and installed.
Center console top with flap handle brackets in.
Rudder cable pulleys installed minus cotter pin anti-derailers.
Rudder pedal tubes fitted and installed.
Rudder/Brake pedals installed pilot side only.
Master cylinders pilot side only in.
Rudder hanging.
Seat placed but not fitted. For effect only.;)

Boring reading so far in list form but lots of hours (approx.45 so far).
I got to the hangar after work yesterday and keep working until 2:30 am this morning. It was very quiet at DVT and the hangar was nice and cool to work in. Soon it won't be.
Got 3.5 hours sleep, finished work by 2:30, got to hangar at 3 pm and just got home early tonight at 9:30. Just too much fun to stop. Sometimes lots of hours with little to show for progress but progress is being made.

So far the manual has been just great. Much improved since my model 4 building days. A testament to lots of hard work by the new owners to
make building easier and no guessing what needs to be done and in what order. The quality of the parts are in a word, excellent. :D
More photos here: Build Album. (http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=367)

airlina
03-22-2014, 03:28 AM
Steve looks to me like you are trying to keep up with Ross in OZ ,great progress so far . Keep it up and enjoy the journey, Bruce N199CL

rosslr
03-22-2014, 03:57 AM
That is great progress Steve! I have seen a couple of build photos now with the black (Vs white) powder coating - is this just an aesthetic choice or is there some other reasoning?? and my god! you have achieved all this in 45 hours! YOu must really know what you are doing! I also note that you started right in on the Fuselage - I wouldn't have had the confidence to vary from the manual sequence! - not that I think in hindsight it matters much. But the part I really get is the way these projects serve as such a motivation to put in the energy! Look forward to more details - I reckon you made it sound really easy with the list!! I have just got back from 2 weeks away and have come down with a terrible flue! Tried to get to the hanger today but could barley summons the energy to open the hanger doors - a few more days rest I think and then back into it! Keep it up - I had a look at your album photos too - they look good , although I agree with that the black makes it hard to see some of the details.

look forward to more progress reports soon.

cheers ross

SkySteve
03-22-2014, 04:56 AM
Way to go DF4. Looking good!

Paul Z
03-22-2014, 05:24 AM
Steve looks to me like you are trying to keep up with Ross in OZ ,great progress so far . Keep it up and enjoy the journey, Bruce N199CL

I think he's trying to pass Ross! Keep up the good work, looking good. I can't imagine trying to go to work after 2.5 hours of sleep. I'd be just a little cranky. :(, and my wife would be a little :eek:, let's say put off because of my lack of sleep. However, with you being in Arizona you have got to work while you can. It does get a little warm in Arizona.

DesertFox4
03-22-2014, 09:15 AM
I have seen a couple of build photos now with the black (Vs white) powder coating - is this just an aesthetic choice or is there some other reasoning??

Ross- I went with black for a couple reasons. First, when I try to take photos or videos, I get reflections everywhere with the white. It also reflects when flying and looking for traffic. Also white shows every scratch, bit of dirt, grease and shoe scuffs from getting in and out of the cockpit. Not overwhelming reasons but after flying in Phil's with black I just noticed less reflections. I could have ordered the white and just painted the tubing in the cockpit area black but thought the black powder coating would hold up better than paint over powder coating.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm taking a couple days off over the weekend to let my carpal tunnel hands rest and spend a couple days at an airpark 120 miles west of Phoenix. Back at it next Monday.

Paul Z
03-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm taking a couple days off over the weekend to let my carpal tunnel hands rest and spend a couple days at an airpark 120 miles west of Phoenix. Back at it next Monday.

Have a good weekend. I would bet you carpal tunnel tunnel is from too much flying, taking all of those amazing videos, and showing those tower controllers at Deer Valley DVT, how it is done. Have a great weekend.

Esser
03-22-2014, 05:52 PM
I wish I had known the black was an option when I ordered my fox. The white is nice but I am partial to black for the reasons mentioned.

rosslr
03-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Steve. I am yet to experience the flight reflection issues you mention but can attest to the white showing up every small scratch! Maybe that isnt a bad thing though.

Hope the Carpel tunnel feels better soon.

cheers

ross

DesertFox4
03-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Another 20 hours building. Prepped and fitted all vertical stablizier and rudder ribs. Prepped and fitted all horizontal stabilizer ribs and scuffed tubing for final bond.
Four horizontal ribs will be left un-bonded until the elevator ribs are in place. This will allow a little adjusting of the 4 ribs on the horizontal so they will then line up perfectly with the elevator ribs.

Have jury duty tomorrow :rolleyes: or I'd be close by the end of the week to covering the horizontal and elevator.

SkyPirate
03-26-2014, 03:54 AM
Looking good Steve!! You keep up this pace and you will be flying that plane to oshkosh👍

DesertFox4
03-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Chase, probably not but maybe 2015.

DesertFox4
03-30-2014, 09:42 PM

It's starting to look a little like a Super Sport. At least in the tail area. Lots of sanding, fitting, epoxy varnishing and gluing. Just starting on the door frames today.
Phil and Bill flew in today to check on my progress. They had to mix it up with P-51 Mustang in the pattern along with a B-17. Both were selling rides on the other end of the field. Two great sounding aircraft to listen to while sanding, fitting, epoxy varnishing and gluing, ect.:rolleyes:

The manual continues to be great. I've completed lots of pages already.

SkySteve
03-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Wow, Steve. You are on fire!

Paul Z
03-31-2014, 06:57 AM
If we look at Rsslr from OZ and Steve we are going need to give both of the new handles. I think Steve from AZ should be Warp Speed, and Rssled from OZ should be Warp 9.5. Any other recommendations? Steve, we know summer in Arizona is coming but you do need to get some sleep! Looking good my friend. :D

rosslr
04-01-2014, 03:55 AM
You are going great Steve! I have taken a break! been away, then sick for a couple of weeks and now having vistiors and then to go away again for work next week! ... so, I think you are in a class of your own Steve!! Bye the way, it is hard to tell from the photos, but have you chosen not to put stiffeners in the ribs??

Keep up the great work!

cheers

ross

DesertFox4
04-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Ross- yes I used stiffeners where called for. Just not maybe the factory ones. I made some that were smaller and less weight but still provided the rigidity needed.

Paul Z
04-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Ross- yes I used stiffeners where called for. Just not maybe the factory ones. I made some that were smaller and less weight but still provided the rigidity needed.

Steve (AKA Warp Speed)

Ah, I see you are building an “experimental” aircraft! Looking good! Looking art your 1st & 2nd picture I can see them on the Vertical Stabalizer. What are you doing versus the standard stiffeners, or is that Proprietary?

Paul Z

DesertFox4
04-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Proprietary for sure. ;):)

rosslr
04-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Now that is NOT in the sprit of Team Kitfox!! or is it?......... Paul, I think he is building for speed and not going to disclose his proprietary secrets!

Seriously though, the reason I asked about the stiffeners was that i recall the manual said something like "...add stiffeners at your discretion .." It was recommended by others much more experienced than me to add them everywhere as the fabric shrinking can easily distort the ribs.

But it is looking great Steve.... and you are much more experienced than most.

cheers

ross

DesertFox4
04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
No, nothing top secret. Just used a little smaller versions of factory supplied stiffener birch. Drilled lightening holes in most and put them on every rib that was shown in the manual. I toyed around with leaving out a rib or maybe two in the vertical stabilizer and rudder set up. Ended up going with the good looking factory profile.

alanr
04-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but is that the 'Speedster tail' or the standard tail you have there?

Alan

DesertFox4
04-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Speedster tail.

DesertFox4
04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
One side done. Another to go. The door frames for a first time take some time to figure out. Lots of little cuts so as not to remove too much material and end up ordering replacement parts. Don't laugh but I think I spent almost 15 hours messing with this side.:rolleyes: Still need to finish a few clean up cuts and bond the parts to the frame.
The other should be much easier now that I have a clue.

DesertFox4
04-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Baggage compartment frame in , header tank installed. Seat retention hardware installed. Looks much more secure than zip ties. Nice improvement.
Door frame metal bonded clamped and curing. After fiddling with the left side door metal so long for fear of messing it up, the passenger/co-pilot side only took about 2.5 hours to measure and cut. I think both sides came out nice. Time will tell when doors are installed.
Made the rear bulkhead metal and epoxy varnished the rear bulkhead.

jrevens
04-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Steve,

Is the aluminum framework for the baggage compartment floor a factory thing now, or is it your own idea?

rosslr
04-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Steve, looks good! the time was worth it on your door frames - very neat job! And I love the Clamp-Art too! That is a serious looking baggage compartment ! I bet there a few Kitfox owners checking your patent on that design! Are you going to paint the header tank and door frames? I put a coat of primer on the header tank yesterday just for protection - but I am still not sure about the door frames - Will have to be painted but not sure just where the fabric will end up and if its best to paint the frames before or after covering. Thanks for the pics again - This site is so good for learning with and from other builders!

cheers

ross

DesertFox4
04-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Ross, I've had an aluminum header tank for 12 years in my model 4 and it still looks like the day it was installed.
I will not paint the tank but especially not the door frames as they will get covered with fabric and we never know if off the shelf paint is compatible with the poly fiber liquids used during covering.

The large baggage compartment frame has been used for 15 years here in the desert. Phil Laker and Murle Williams did it long before me. I just copied their designs. I have it in my model 4 only not quite as large due to the design of the four's fuselage tubing placement. We use regular Poly Fiber fabric for the sides. Works great. I'll have more photos when I get to the fabric part of the baggage compartment.

DesertFox4
04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Finished the right side door frames today, installed seat retention screws/washers in six locations. Four on the seat bottom and two on the seat backs. Works great. Also tackled one fuselage side stringer. Installed rear bulkhead also. The day went quick. Time for pizza.

DesertFox4
04-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Some photos below with captions of other items off list.

Installed wooden seat block to prevent control binding.

Covered center console. Wired and installed trim switch.

Installed belts.

jiefuster
04-17-2014, 02:01 AM
Well done!

DesertFox4
04-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Had a welcomed visitor from the Far East today.
Dan B. stopped in, from Mesa to lend a helping hand. He also deliver a modified reamer compliments of Papa, to dress up the horizontal to elevator bushings. The extra long reamer worked perfectly. We got all six bushings pressed into the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer with the very last one giving the most objections.
Thanks Dan for the help. Much appreciated. I also happened to catch him in the act of making airplane noises.:)
Ah, it's required. Isn't it?

SkySteve
04-20-2014, 05:04 AM
That baggage area looks big enough that you could carry Dan in it!

DanB
04-20-2014, 05:25 AM
Enjoyed the day Steve. The work completed on your plane is top notch and at the rate you are building we could fly back to OshKosh this year :)
And yes, airplane noises are a prerequisite.

Paul Z
04-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Looking at the luggage compartment are you planning on starting a business transporting caskets?

DesertFox4
04-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Paul, the sky hearse business did not cross my mind in relation to the baggage area. It actually could be longer.
As is, I'll have to put a restraining net in to keep heavy items from shifting all the way back to the the rear during flight.:eek:

I know load management and C.G. preservation have been cussed and discussed here before in regards to these large baggage areas so I've been contemplating restraint measures but will wait until the floor boards , or whatever material ends up in there, get installed.:)

DesertFox4
04-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Enjoyed the day Steve. The work completed on your plane is top notch and at the rate you are building we could fly back to OshKosh this year :)
And yes, airplane noises are a prerequisite.

Making Oshkosh would be a little ambitious for sure. Covering is coming up quickly though. Looking forward to the modeling iron and the big iron shrinking that fabric into an airplane. I really enjoyed the covering process on the model 4.

Paul Z
04-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Paul, the sky hearse business did not cross my mind in relation to the baggage area. It actually could be longer.
As is, I'll have to put a restraining net in to keep heavy items from shifting all the way back to the the rear during flight.:eek:

I know load management and C.G. preservation have been cussed and discussed here before in regards to these large baggage areas so I've been contemplating restraint measures but will wait until the floor boards , or whatever material ends up in there, get installed.:)

I had some stuff shift in flight during my flight to Weyers Cave, :eek: explains it exactly, and I don't have a baggage compartment large enough to put a casket in it!

chefwarthog
04-20-2014, 07:12 PM
I'll Watch the construction Kitfox vert closly..... Keep us up to date with * lot of pictures..... I saliva!!!

Paul Z
07-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Steve, how is progress on your Kitfox 7SS? have you painted it yet, is it painted Yellow like your Series 4, or yellow like the new SLSAs John puts out, or yellow like the Corvette? Is it flying yet? We need some status reports! Personally the Summer heat in Pheonix would stop me.

Also, are you going to Oshkosh?

SkySteve
07-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Paul,
You'll confuse DF4 with all those options: Yellow, Yellow, or Yellow!!

Paul Z
07-13-2014, 06:23 PM
I wonder if it might be YELLOW! ! !

DesertFox4
07-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Well right now it's mostly pink. Just about done with the fuselage covering. Horizontal stabilizer is in the finishing stages now.

My work has been crazy and the temps even crazier so time to work on the project had diminished some but still making progress.

Also shopping for new digital camera as my faithful little Lumix Panasonic has gone on to dead digital camera heaven. I have to find a replacement before Oshkosh. That Lumix took great air to air shots.:(

As for color. Not totally fleshed out yet. Maybe lime green like the Kitfox Bi-Plane.;)

Paul Z
07-13-2014, 08:14 PM
So your going to Oshkosh. Look for the old guy with grey hair and a grey beard. I'm planning on going this year.

DesertFox4
07-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Yep, Oshkosh by gosh. I'll look for Santa. ;)

Paul Z
07-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Ho, Ho, Ho my plane is parked at Whitman Field, I having dinner, and relaxing with a Margarita and a Burger.

cubtractor
07-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Wish I was there this year.

DesertFox4
07-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Glad you made it Paul. Have a great evening.

It's about 110 degrees here right now after 114 for the high. :(

Paul Z
07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
It wasn't anywhere close to 100Degrees here!:D. just rubbing it in!

Av8r3400
07-24-2014, 08:30 PM
I'll be dropping into the Ultralight Field on Saturday morning. Starting to get that itch…

Hope to meet you Paul. Where are you parked?

For the record they're forecasting 70s for highs and 50s for lows next week. Should be amazing!

Agfoxflyer
07-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Paul, I'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday. Will look up fellow Aggie. Will be at Kitfox Booth Wednesday at 6 for sure.

Paul Z
07-25-2014, 07:54 PM
I'll be dropping into the Ultralight Field on Saturday morning. Starting to get that itch…

Hope to meet you Paul. Where are you parked?

For the record they're forecasting 70s for highs and 50s for lows next week. Should be amazing!

Go to the Kitfox Dispay, my planes parked there. I called John and told him I was going and he asked if I would be willing to put my plane in the Display. So 703KA is tied down there. I plan on being at the Kitfox Booth quite a bit.

Av8r3400
07-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Okay. Willdo… :)

DesertFox4
07-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Some photos of the fuselage covered along with the tail feathers. After Oshkosh it will go to paint. Guess I need to chose a paint scheme and color.

It's been a little warn here in Phoenix lately.
This was taken in the shade two days ago.

SkySteve
07-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Wow! Looking good and coming along fast. The last photo seems to indicate the paint will dry FAST! You won't be standing there long watching the paint dry.

DesertFox6
07-26-2014, 01:05 PM
You ain't just a-kiddin', SkySteve -

Somewhere in the Poly-Fiber Manual, I recall John Goldenbaum writing something close to "...if you're painting in Phoenix in August; forget it!"

Well, that's not entirely true, 'cuz I was painting plenty in our lovely Phoenix summer weather back in '98/'99 (using plenty of reducer) but you have to make sure you're standing close enough to the working surface to allow the Poly-Tone to HIT before it dries in mid-air!

Good news: If your paint cloud dries before hitting the target, it's very easy to immediately sweep the dried-up little colored globules off the garage floor before you track them into the house; they're no longer a threat to the living-room carpet by the time they make that three-foot/one meter drop to the deck!

"E.T."
Of course if you convince your significant other that your kitchen flooring and household carpeting should match the airplane's paint scheme BEFORE painting it, you're covered year-round!!! :D

Paul Z
07-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Steve,

I guess 102 in Dallas is Child's Play! Have you departed for Oshkosh, get ready it's a little humid.

Paul

DesertFox4
07-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Leave Phoenix Sunday morning, landing in Milwaukee afternoon. Rental car to Oshkosh.
That 114 temp includes humidity also. Monsoon time here in "The Valley of the Sun". Brutal is the word that comes to mind. I gotta get me an indoor job.

bbird
07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Steve, in case your interested:

Jerry
PS: Nice work on the new KitFox!

Jul
Monday, July 28
1300 - 1415 (1:00 PM - 2:15 PM)
CIRCUMNAVIGATION AT 19
Matt Guthmiller
Forum 7 - Sponsored by Honda
In May, Matt Guthmiller set out on a nearly 26,000 mile flight in a 1981 A36 Bonanza. Come learn what it takes to pull off a solo circumnavigation at 19 years of age. Hear about preparation, interesting experiences, lessons learned, and advice for others looking to attempt long-distance flights.

www.limitless-horizons.org
Matt Guthmiller

DesertFox4
02-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Well it's been a while since an update. Yesterday Phil Laker and myself moved my fuselage down to the Gilbert, AZ "skunk works" for paint. It's been a long wait for an opening to pop up at Phil's but I made use of that time to get my model 4 going strong again.
We picked up Phil's trailer in the morning, waited around a very short while (one cup of coffee) and Rich shows up with a trailer full of quick build wing parts for yours truly. :) We unload the beautifully crafted, Brandon built Kitfox wings and install them in their new home in Phil's shop.

Thanks Rich for getting them here in perfect condition. Great to meet another Kitfox convert. Best of luck on your build by the way.

After stowing all the wing components, Phil and I head to Deer Valley with the trailer for the fuselage transfer. After some tense miles down the freeway with fuselage in tow ( the Phoenix Open golf traffic and Pre-Super Bowl traffic was completely nuts) we arrived with all aircraft parts still intact. Whew!!83788380

A great big thanks to John McBean, Phil Laker, Bill Prokes and Rich Trimble for the smooth coordination of the quick build wing kit delivery and assistance in the fuselage transfer.

Looking forward to getting back to work on the 7 Super Sport. All for now.

Brandon Petersen
02-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Nice looking set of wings ya got there Steve! Enjoy!!!

Paul Z
02-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Looks like Brandon did a excellent job on the wings! It also looks like you did an excellent job on the fushelage. Are you planning to leave it as a Tail Dragger? I'm betting it will end up Yellow!

DesertFox4
02-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Paul- high probability it will be a tri-gear at first. Always possible it could change later.

DesertFox4
02-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Made some good progress today. Papa and I worked on rigging the quick build wings.
Got a chance to really look them over.
Beautiful workmanship Brandon.
Those fillets are a thing of beauty. :D

Flybyjim
02-14-2015, 07:38 PM
First off let me just say Good looking work shop. Having that much room must be very nice for rigging. Second, I am sitting in my house here in central Pa. 12 deg outside going down to -2/6 with winds howling to 60mph tonight, this is not typical Pa. The photo of yours looking out side your doors makes Az look very inviting right now.
Keep up the build, one tree at a time. I enjoy watching every ones progress, I hope to soon start posting my own progress.

Brandon Petersen
02-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks Steve, glad you're happy with em! Looks like progress. Keep up the great work....

Rob3782
02-15-2015, 09:24 AM
Nice work so far! I enjoy your site as with many others that share their build. The filets on my wings are also a thing of beauty. How do they do that? I noticed you installed aluminum plates above your rudder pedals. Are they for a mounting surfaces?

DesertFox4
02-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Rob , the trays are for mounting things on. Did it on my model 4 too. Very handy.

DesertFox4
02-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Monday was finish rigging day. Got the dihedral set. Drilled four very important holes in the spars.

Set and drilled the spar doublers. Lots of drilling. Great progress for a half day of work.
Next work day will be cleaning up all the holes I drilled and bonding all the spar doublers in place. Tanks will be sloshed and fitted.

It's really great working in the "Skunk works" with Phil and Bill. Lots of great advice.

TahoeTim
02-17-2015, 07:18 PM
I remember those days. I had a bunch of college kids home for Xmas break to take the wings on and off several times.

Are you going to fly it to Copper State this year? It's my goal to fly mine there this year. Goals are good.

DesertFox4
02-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Tim- CopperState might be a little ambitious for me but I'll sure make my reservation for a demo flight in yours for next October.;):)

TahoeTim
02-18-2015, 06:43 AM
Your on.:D

The weather here is cooperating (no snow this year) but that last big expense of the engine may slow me down.

bbs428
02-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Checked out your build. Looks great.
I'm gonna copy your aluminum plates above your rudder pedals. After covering will you have access to it via a access panel, or do you have to "limbo" under the instrument panel? :)

Paul Z
02-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Steve congratulations! It's looking good, your definately starting to look like the Kitfox Advertising Manager. You've got the shirt, the hat, some good photo shot sof you working hard on a Kitfox, all you need is an advertising slogan at the bottom of one of the photos. 😉 To be part of the Kitfox Family all of us are salesmen and saleswomen for the brand. Keep up the posting very enjoyable to follow your progress!

DesertFox4
03-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Progress on the wings continues. Desertfox1 and myself have been working on the #1 rib placement, finishing up the spar reinforcements and strut attachment fittings. Also bonded in the top false ribs today. Lots of measuring and fitting but a fun process.

bbs428
03-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Great pic's. They really tell the story for us "visual" learners.
Envious of your shop and the t-shirts. :)

Were still very cold here. Another week and the weather here will be warm enough to work again in our shop.

Keep up the great work!

DesertFox4
03-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Varnishing wings was on the schedule today. Not really my favorite job but a must do procedure. Had some help from a fellow Kitfoxer down from Calgary. Norm stopped by the "skunk works" today to give a hand with rib varnishing. Thanks Norm!! Good to get some international help on my project. :) The 2nd coat of varnish on the left wing is all Norm.

I think he's on the lamb from Canada as he wouldn't let me take his photograph. Actually we got so busy talking, looking at and varnishing Kitfoxs I forgot to get the camera out. My bad.

Also Norm is a fellow guitar player so we got together a couple nights ago and strummed out some classics from John Fogerty, The Beatles, The Stones, The Eagles and even worked a Bee Gees song in there. If we get another chance to play we need to work on some of those great Canadian songwriters hits. An all acoustic Gordon Lightfoot night or the like.;):)

Paul Z
03-07-2015, 11:57 PM
I wish I could play the Guitar, but I'm totally tone deaf. Hmm found a camera to take a picture of the Guitar. :)

Esser
03-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Dont forget Stan Rogers!

Looking good!

Paul Z
03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
I cans see Norm & Steve definately have a second passion. Those are some nice Guitars. Are you two contemplating adding an extension to tha baggage compartment that would accommodate the Guitars. When do you plan on cutting the first Kitfox Grinning & Picking album?

DesertFox4
03-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Butt ribs installed, tanks installed, most tank stand offs bonded in place, jury struts positioned and attach brackets and clamps installed. Half of the wing tip attach strips installed. Other half will go in when we can flip the wings over.
Flapperon rib tail reinforcements installed, trailing edge pieces installed, false ribs partially installed. Flapperon control horns assembled, rigged and installed temporarily, flapperons trailing edges riveted, flapperon brackets prepped and the big event, flapperons installed temporarily. It was a big 3 day weekend at the "Skunk Works". Lots of progress made thanks to Phil keeping me on track and planning my next three tasks. Lots and lots of drilling and swapping of batteries on 3 different drills.

Now four days off for work and I can't wait to get back at it next weekend.
Did I mention how nice those factory quick build wings look?:)

SkyPirate
03-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Looking good Steve!!

Paul Z
03-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Crap when you put in high gear, you don't slow down! I guess now that you and the Canadian Nirm put your Guitars in the Guitar Stands, a gave up on the the Hanger R&R band, you decided to get on with the Program. It is Definately Looking great!

jrevens
03-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Wow, Steve! It seems like if you know what you're doing, and have some experienced help, you could finish one of these things in the blink of an eye! Just think if you were retired! Man, it makes me ashamed of my snail-like pace. Lookin' good!!

Paul Z
03-17-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm beginning to think Steve is in WARP speed. I am totally surprised how fast he is moving on the project.

DesertFox4
03-17-2015, 07:08 PM
It's all about putting the time in guys. Seems like mine are mini marathons all wrapped up in weekends or if fortunate 3 day weekends. I'm pleasantly surprised to rediscover how much fun building a Kitfox can be. It 's been 12 years plus since my first after all. ;)

Av8r3400
03-17-2015, 08:38 PM
So, you going to fly it up with the rest of the crew for Airventure this year?

DesertFox4
03-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Sadly, no. Will not make AirVenture this year, with or without the 7 SS.:(

DesertFox4
03-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Missed a weekend of building due to strep throat last week. Feeling much better now so back to building. Phil and I removed the flaperons, stored them for safe keeping, removed the wings and put them upside down on saw horses. Easier to finish off the bottom wing tip mounting strips, fuel tank rib standoffs and false rib for the fuel tanks. Bonded in a couple ribs before calling it a day. Phil and I policed up the shop a little.
Norm stopped by today with another Canadian aviator and guitar picker, Royal. Royal got away before I could get my camera out get a mug shot but I did manage to catch Norm as he helped me rivet the wingtip strips to their permanent home. Thanks again Norm and thanks for the In-N-Out hamburger and fries to keep me going. :)

KFfan
03-29-2015, 05:07 AM
Very nice progress.
It appears you could have consumed the In-N-Out hamburger and fries from the floor. :)

SkySteve
03-29-2015, 05:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Man, what a beautiful shop!

DesertFox4
04-04-2015, 07:28 PM
One day weekend due to Easter but still accomplished a little. Did a little epoxy varnishing on the fuel tank ribs.

Installed the Laker Leading Edge standoffs on the front edge of the spars. Cut five pieces of the provided stock leading edge cuff into 2" pieces. Roughed them and the spars up (spars get the Red Scotchbrite treatment) and cleaned them before bonding to the proper locations using the leading edge template that comes with the kit. The two end standoffs must be flush with the wingtip rib and at the root end flush with the #1 rib. They came out nice on both wings with the template and tape to temporarily hold them in the correct location while bonding dries.

Put the LLE pieces on the wing just to get an idea what lies ahead. Must be trimmed and bonded of course. That may happen Monday if my job allows an early escape.

Also masked off the baggage compartment for painting. It will be painted black.

SkyPirate
04-04-2015, 07:34 PM
are you sure you wont have the plane flying by mid summer? :) looks good

Paul Z
04-04-2015, 07:36 PM
One word NICE! You are making good progress. It's good tha you showed how to do the Laker Leading Edge.

DesertFox4
04-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Thank you very much guys. I'll try to show more detail of the LLE process in the next couple posts. I've flown two Kitfoxs with the LLE installed and I would hit the big "LIKE" button if we had one. ;)

Paul Z
04-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Like, Like, Like, my Valley Girl imitation. How's this!

Paul Z
04-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Looking at your baggage compartment, might you need access to the back to check the linkages?

DesertFox4
04-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Paul, that can be accomplished through an inspection hole on the bottom.

Paul Z
04-04-2015, 09:30 PM
I've never opened up any of my inspection holes. Access through the baggage compartment makes it very easy.

DanB
04-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Looking good Steve! I should b able to help next weekend...no shower doors then.:)

DesertFox4
04-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Sounds great Dan. Happy Easter to you and yours.

DesertFox4
04-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Monday was all about trimming the Laker Leading Edge. My first time through this procedure so it was nice to have the inventor of this thing looking over my shoulder. Enjoyable process. Thanks Phil. :)
Next weekend, more LLE fitting, trimming,bonding.

Long straight edge shows where trailing edge of LLE will be trimmed to.

This is the distance from the wings trailing edge measured at each rib. This is where the previous photo shows the long straight edge placed for future trimming of the trailing edge of the LLE.
Your measurement may be slightly different.

Laying down the trailing edge trim line.

You might notice that I already cut relief for the fuel cap location to get the LLE to lay down flat.

Wing tip end of the LLE cut flush with the rib.

Flybyjim
04-08-2015, 04:36 AM
The leading edge looks very nice, the guy who designed this option is the one in your photos? Since the wing was designed to be a flex wing how does this leading edge effect the flex wings performance. This may have been discussed before but I have not seen it and you have the opportunity to have the developer's input and I'm sure others will jump in on this also.
This is a great form for all of us builders and I for one appreciate everyones input.

DesertFox4
04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Jim- Yes that is Mr. Laker.

The composite is of a thickness that it would not interfere with the designed flex of the wing either at regular length or the "Speedster" length.

I've flown 3 Kitfoxs with this option installed, both regular wing and the Speedster length, and saw no wrinkles of any kind in the fabric or composite leading edge. The 3 have been in service for up to 5 years now. In that time and number of flight hours if there was to be a problem develop it would have shown by now. Also the LLE appears to be unaffected by our somewhat warm Arizona summer temperatures.

Aluminum has been tried with moderate success. However when the wing flexes from normal flight it does show oil-canning along the length of the leading edge. Dan Denney's bush plane has the aluminum leading edge and has oil-canning after flight. While it has no ill affects on flight characteristics or flexing of the wing, it is aesthetically less pleasing than the LLE. Our Kitfoxs are just too pretty to have wrinkles anywhere.

On an aerodynamic note- Harry Ribblet who designed the Model 4 wing, was never completely satisfied with the finished product that was sold with the Denney Aerocraft kits and consequently all others since. The model 4 wing is in principle the same wing used on all Kitfoxs since, including the model 4,5,6, and 7's. Obviously some design changes were made to increase gross weights in later models. Harry said that there was only about a foot of his actual design in that wing as sold. He intended there to be a D-section to get the full effect of his design. Now we all know how well the model 4-7 wing actually flies so obviously there was no problem with the wings sold, built and flown. It just wasn't precisely what Harry had in mind for the design.

So why am I installing the LLE on my last ever Kitfox. Again I've flown a couple LLE equipped Kitfoxs and maybe 30 give or take of the regular winged Kitfoxs and while I can't exactly quantify with hard numbers the perceived gentler stall characteristics, or the possible improvement in cruise speed, or the quicker take offs, I just really liked the way they all felt. It feels better to me and was so stated almost in the same words by the builders and owners of said equipped Kitfoxs. I think that in the coming years with so many new builders opting for the LLE that we will find out that what I and the others perceive will come to be more quantifiable. I really don't care as I like the way the aircraft feels with the LLE. Could I live without it? I am. I love the performance of my current wing. I think it could be better with the LLE. I'll let you all know sometime in the future just how much when I get some flight hours on my new SS7.

Jim, I hope my long winded response shines some light on my decision to opt for the LLE. For me, the LLE and the Quick Build wing options were must haves along with the four stroke Rotax of course.;)

Flybyjim
04-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Thank you for the very interesting and complete response to my question. With the laker leading edge is there a difference in stall speeds and are there any reports of lower stall speeds with VG's on the laker leading install?

Thank you so much for the response, I hope to be starting my wings right after Airventure, I also bought the quick build wings.

DesertFox4
04-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Jim, I wish I could flatly state a lower stall speed. Since I didn't take all 3 aircraft down into that arena I won't say yes. It appeared on the one I did attempt stalls in that the wing hung in there longer and when it did break that it felt more stable in the stall. It happened to be a Rotec radial equipped Kitfox 4 so there were more variables than if it were a familiar Rotax 912S.

Can't speak to V.G.'s yet. Haven't flown one configured that way.

DesertFox4
04-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Lots of LLE scalloping today. Bonded on the last of the fuel tanks false ribs.
A full day.

Phil made me a great sanding block out of a mixing cup. The perfect size for finishing leading edge scallops.

Just about ready to bond on the LLE permanently. Tomorrow we bond.

Paul Z
04-11-2015, 07:24 PM
That is going to look sweet! Looks like your doing a great job. :D

DesertFox4
04-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks Paul. It's been an enjoyable process.

SkyPirate
04-11-2015, 07:36 PM
deserves a truck load of these :)

jiott
04-11-2015, 08:52 PM
That scalloping idea is interesting. I'm anxious to see how it looks when covered.

Paul Z
04-11-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it in person, maybe I need to fly over for Cooperstate.

DesertFox4
04-11-2015, 09:06 PM
It looks great Jim. Already seen a couple done that way.

Thanks for the truckload of LIKES Chase.

bbs428
04-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Great thread. Enjoying your progress and following along.

Pic's are informative for us "visual" learners. LLE is coming along nicely.
I'm still debating to do this mod on my wings. I agree that it does look better.

Paul Z
04-12-2015, 12:10 PM
I thought the LLE wrapped under the wing as far as it does over the top. I definately learned something via your post. I'd love to add that feature to my plane but it would require re-registering mine as an ELSA and a lot of work.

DesertFox4
04-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Laker Leading Edge is all bonded in place. My day started off early with washing the four sections of leading edge with water for about 20 minutes each. Thoroughly clean off any release agent residue still on the parts from production. Very slippery stuff that release agent when wet. It would interfere with a quality bond if not washed from the parts. No picks of that process. I ended up with wet tennis shoes somehow.:confused:

After a quick drying in the Arizona sun, I roughed up the bonding areas with 150 grit sand paper to provide a little extra "tooth" for the adhesive and the fiberglass.

The fuel tanks were also given some "tooth" as well as lightly sanding the ribs for the same reason. A thorough cleaning of all bonding areas with 99% rubbing alcohol made sure nothing would interfere with the bond.

Here is where it gets interesting. This is likely the first installation of a LLE using 3M's 850 adhesive instead of the usual HySol epoxy bond. This is the same product I believe that Kitfox uses on the flaperons now to bond the trailing edges with good success and is used extensively in the auto industry and hundreds of other manufacturing processes for strong secure bonds. It stays slightly flexible when cured unlike HySol but retains a very strong bond. In the first photo you see Bill showing us the proper application and locations on the wing for best strength on the first of four sections of LLE. I applied the other 3 sections duplicating what was demonstrated on the first section. It went very quickly compared to using HySol. Likely less weight also for a superior bond.

In this photo you see the bonded section in place and now we tape. Taping down the scallops very lightly so as not to distort but get a good spread of the adhesive. Also the tails of the scallops were taped at each false rib with cleco's used in the ribs to assure exact alignment. It went very well. The other 3 LLE sections will shortly receive the same fate.

We quickly ran out of the yellow and green tape and settled on good old masking tape for most of the rest of the sections. Looks more uniformed and professional to have matching tape everywhere.;)

Here you can see the finished bonding process. Being opaque, the LLE let us see any spots that may need "fixing" with adhesive before it was finalized. I fixed a couple like a portion of the first false rib in this photo.
3M 850 was great to work with.

The holes drilled for the cleco's will be filled with Super Fill when curing is complete.

The underside of the wing is shown in this photo.

This photo shows the fuel tank end of the wing.

Paul Z
04-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Looks so simple when done by one of the experts.

DesertFox4
04-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Well, two of the three of us really are experts. Can you guess which one I am.

Yep, the rookie. I'm only on my 2nd Kitfox. Between the 3 of us I think we're approaching double digits.;)

DesertFox4
04-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Just a note: this product does have an expiration date so it does not have the same shelf life as the method currently used for bonding the LLE. It also takes much longer to cure than HySol although application goes faster. Kind of a trade off I guess. We figured just to be cautious a full week on the cure with wings in the vertical position on the wing rotisserie before removing the clecos and tape. Most wouldn't probably want to wait that long to move to the next process so HySol still looks like the best viable bonding method.

I won't be back to the shop until this weekend to find out where it may be purchased and most importantly to see what kind of actual bond I have on the LLE.
I know Kitfox Aircraft does not provide it for re-sale.

Caveat follows:
I am in the experimental mode on this guys so if you want to bond your LLE and never give it another thought when flying, use the proven method. I will let you know if this is a viable alternative but that won't be for some time yet.

DesertFox4
04-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Sat. & Sunday spent doing lots of final sanding on wings before covering.
Dan B. stopped by on Sat. to lend a hand with the LLE to tank transition. He did a great job.

Ran the pitot tubing as shown.

No drilling in the spars or running it way out to the wingtip and back through the spar. Drilled the one hole in the rib and tucked it in behind the fuel tank.

Installed the pitot tube inboard one rib so it is protected from damage by the struts. I did the same thing with my model 4 and it worked great and never any hat damage at fly ins or airshows.

Just about ready for covering.

Painted the inside of my baggage compartment black.

Wings ready for covering. One last look before they go under cover.
I think they are beautiful wings. Lots of loving care has gone into these. I hope they fly as good as they look.

Bonded in a piece of birch in the left outboard wing for future AHRS mounting accessible through the wingtip.

Paul Z
04-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Steve,

I've been enjoying your build, black frame, black cargo area, and a yellow paint job. I guess your going to have one Killer Bumble Bee. I really do like the Laker Leading Edge, it is looking exceptional.

DesertFox4
04-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks Paul. It's been an enjoyable process.

Jbeck
04-22-2015, 06:42 AM
I agree with Paul, as someone who has a kit on the way I really appreciate you sharing your build. The pictures and information is priceless to someone like me. Thanks.

MOFlyer
04-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Speaking for someone who has a kit on the way, I will agree with JBeck. The pictures and posts are an invaluable source of information. JBeck, I noticed your in Monument, CO. I have an Army EOD buddy who opened a distillery and bar in your neck of the woods. Once I get the Kitfox built, I plan on being a labeled a Moonshine Runner. But back on point, I appreciate the posts Paul.

Paul Z
04-22-2015, 07:30 AM
MOFlyer, mayber we should run over to Arizona help Steve finish the Killer Bumble Bee, and then we could run some Moonshine. Sounds like fun.

I sill have You Tube running it's playing all of the The Blues Brothers - Rubber Biscuit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAdzzYSKfY

What a way to start the day!

A Rubber Biscuit:)

Jfquebec
04-23-2015, 05:27 PM
I make same thing than you for the pitot tube between the gas tank and spar but i put some spot of glue...

DesertFox4
04-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Another 3 day weekend marathon of building. Fabric going on. This is one of my favorite parts of building a Kitfox. Thanks to Phil and Bill again for the assistance and Phil for a great shop to build in. :) Next weekend, a little more gluing, shrinking fabric, Poly brushing, tapes galore. I better start practicing my rib stitching knot.;)

Paul Z
04-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Steve,

As always doing an exceptional job!

Paul

mscotter
04-30-2015, 07:42 AM
What is the purpose of the scalloping exactly? is this just an aesthetic mod, or does this change the performance somehow?

DesertFox4
05-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Mark, the scollops make a nice transition for the fabric and that's the way it was done years ago on some aircraft.

Paul Z
05-05-2015, 08:48 PM
I thought it was because it just made it look sexy!

DesertFox4
05-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Fabric shrunk to 350 degrees. Polybrush coat went on. Dan stopped by to help out again. The Laker Leading Edges were Polybrushed first to get the fabric to lay down real good before shrinking. After overnight drying they were ironed first to remove small wrinkles before the rest of the wing was ironed in 3 temperature steps, 250, 300 and then to a final temp of 350. The leading edges came out really nice.
On a side note, I installed 3/8" aluminum tubing bonded into the trailing edges of all bays to strengthen them against the 350 degree shrink. No warping or distortion was seen in any of the bays trailing edge pieces. Sorry, no photos were taken of this step.:o

HighWing
05-06-2015, 02:28 PM
...Polybrush coat went on. Dan stopped by to help out again. The Laker Leading Edges were Polybrushed first to get the fabric to lay down real good before shrinking.

Just curious. Why did you Polybrush the fabric over the leading edge before shrinking. The Polybrush manual recommends painting a couple of coats of reduced Polybrush on any wood leading edge before covering. I had always understood that this was to provide a base coat that would bond with the first brush coat of Polybrush after shrinking. Was the decision to paint after covering and before shrinking a Laker Leading Edge procedure?

DesertFox4
05-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Lowell,

I did put two coats of reduced polybrush down first on the leading edges (not shown before) and the fuel tanks before applying the brush coat of polybrush to the fabric over the leading edges. I also carefully shrank the fabric over the leading edges just a little to remove wrinkles before applying the brush coat over the fabric. This shrink was not to 350 degrees as it would pull the fabric way too tight and bridge areas of the leading edges that would make it very difficult to get the fabric to lay down properly. Those areas were left to dry at least 24 hours before final shrinking the rest of the fabric so as not to pull the fabric away from the leading edges and tank area.

I'm not showing every little step in the process so follow the manual with regards to best practices involving PolyFiber products.

Here is a photo some time back (April 26th) that shows the leading edges and tank area on the left wing pre-coated with two coats of reduced polybrush. Both wings were done the same way. In the photo I'm gluing down the first fabric side with PolyTak along the leading edge.

HighWing
05-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Makes perfect sense, Steve, Thanks.

Norm
05-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Hi Steve
I see you are making great progress on the new bird but I have not seen an update lately. ?????? What's happening. I am back home now but have not had much of a chance to work on my Model IV. There are a lot of family things going on including a bounce back child complete with family. (They are building a new house and it is not ready yet.)
One thing that is exciting for me, I was able to find an older 912 80hp in my price range so I can say good bye to the two stroke. I am pretty excited about getting it going but not looking forward to the extra work involved in a new firewall forward setup for the Fox. If I ever get this thing going I will post an album.
Norm

DesertFox4
05-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Norm - I missed building last weekend. A Kitfox friend from Cameron Park came in for his brothers funeral and I spent quite a bit of time with him. I'll get back at it tomorrow and Sunday. Memorial Day morning I'll be at the National Cemetery in North Phoenix for services.

Happy to hear you scored an 80 hp. Rotax. You'll love the performance and reliability. Good luck with the conversion. The results will be worth the extra effort.

Norm
05-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Good luck with the work this weekend. You must have a couple of coats of PolySpray by now. Hey thanks again for showing me the performance of your Model IV. It was the best part of my time in the Phoenix area. That and the Gretsch picking.
Norm

DesertFox4
05-22-2015, 07:58 PM
No Polyspray yet Norm. Will be tackling the rib lacing next. Then hopefully the paint booth for some color.

Glad to have had the chance to meet and jam a little. I try to play every night a little. Tonight the Martin acoustic goes for a spin.;)

DesertFox4
09-19-2015, 04:35 PM

Fuselage moved to paint booth this morning.
Bill spraying first pass of poly brush. Tail feathers also ready for spray. Exciting to see pink going on. Tomorrow polyspray (silver).

New Rotax 912 ULS in the box with ring mount installed.
Moving forward.

TahoeTim
09-19-2015, 06:38 PM
sweet

you are almost there

DanB
09-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Looking good Doc, great to see the painting is under way. That purdy new 912S in the box brings back memories. :)

jrevens
09-19-2015, 11:14 PM
That's great, Steve! I guess you don't have to necessarily brush the first coat of Polybrush on?

Since your engine came with the mount installed, I assume Kitfox modified your water pump assembly as necessary and then installed the mount and shipped the engine to you. Also, can you describe what modifications are actually made to the water pump unit? I guess I should be asking John M. that, but I was thinking that it might be something I can do myself rather than having to remove the pump, send it back to Kitfox for modification, install the mount myself & then put the modified pump from Kitfox back on. I know the pump has to be removed anyway, in order to install the mount.

DesertFox4
09-20-2015, 01:39 AM
John, the first coat of polybrush was brushed on last year when I covered the fuselage.

As for the ring mount, I believe you answered your own question.;)

I am blessed to have great friends in John and Phil that helped out with the fitting of the mount in an attempt to get me back on track with my SS7 build.
As you know life can get in the way of an aircraft build plan. Lots of my recent build time has been expended since framing started in June, helping my son build his new home.

My other build project as of late.

Paul Z
09-20-2015, 05:46 AM
Very nice 3 Car garage, you are getting ready for retirement. Both projects are looking good.

TahoeTim
09-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Don't be afraid of the task to install the ring. I only had to move one water pump fitting. I heated it with a heat gun and it spun right out.

jrevens
09-20-2015, 09:41 AM
John, the first coat of polybrush was brushed on last year when I covered the fuselage.

As for the ring mount, I believe you answered your own question.;)

I am blessed to have great friends in John and Phil that helped out with the fitting of the mount in an attempt to get me back on track with my SS7 build.
As you know life can get in the way of an aircraft build plan. Lots of my recent build time has been expended since framing started in June, helping my son build his new home.

My other build project as of late.

Thank you, Steve... I should have remembered the polybrush from your older post.

I've been there with the house building... took me 5 years to build the home we're in now. Even with all that, I think you've made amazing progress!

You ARE blessed with wonderful friends, and you deserve it! :)

TahoeTim
09-20-2015, 10:15 AM
+1

Can I borrow your friends? :D

I will now admit that I am mentally stalling on starting the covering process.

DesertFox4
09-20-2015, 06:29 PM
You ARE blessed with wonderful friends, and you deserve it! :) Thanks John. Got to spend the day with them watching Bill lay down some silver on my fuselage and tail feathers. Bill has painted way more Kitfoxs and many more aircraft than my one so I jumped at the chance when he offered his paint booth and expertise. Also John, I haven't unwrapped the 912ULS yet to look at what was done with regards to the ring mount. Got too busy with spraying, ran out of day to investigate or take photos for you. Maybe next weekend I'll get you some photos.

Tim- the covering will likely be one of your most enjoyable tasks in your build. Follow the manual. I've been told many times. There's nothing that can't be fixed up and until you spray silver.

Some photos from today.

jiott
09-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Ditto on the covering. In a day or two you will get the feel for it and it then becomes fun and satisfying. You will quickly have an airplane.

DesertFox4
11-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Back in the paint booth to spray the final coat of Poly Spray (Silver) then the two coats of base white ( PolyTone Insignia White #105).

Norm
01-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Have not seen any posts lately. How is the build going Steve.
Norm

DesertFox4
01-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Hey Norm. Happened to get some time at the project today after about 2 weeks away from it. Worked on the main landing gear today. Also Phil and I worked on Phil's Kitfox installing two new tires on his main gear. Tomorrow we will lay out the tapes on my fuselage for the paint scheme and stripes. It has warmed up into the 70's now so painting is again possible. After taping is done I'll scuff the areas of the fuselage where the color will go.
Are you in Arizona yet?

Norm
01-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Not in AZ yet. Not sure if I will make it south this year. Good to hear your getting some progress and some flying. Part of my problem is too much flying and not enough progress. I have the mount for the 912 built, the baggage compartment built, the speed tail and wide body mount done. I keep saying I can cover next week. Then next week never comes. I will start a thread when I start getting some dacron on.
Norm

Norm
01-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Your plane is looking good with the nice white on her. Next week finally got here and I put some covering on my IV. Now next week will be mount the motor. Well maybe not, lots of work to go on covering, tapes, n paint. Still nice to finally put a dress on my old girl.

DesertFox4
02-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Haven't posted for a while. Some progress.
Grove landing gear painted and installed. Grove wheels/brakes installed with tires. Also tail skid installed. Rudder installed, maybe for the last time.
We'll see.;)

No building this weekend. Just flying.:)

Dick B in KY
02-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Too bad you mounted the main gear in the wrong location. Much more fun in a more forward location.:)

Dick B

mr bill
02-22-2016, 01:17 PM
You pays your money and makes your choice.

DesertFox4
02-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Dick, I looked in the build manual and it said for maximum fun, mount gear in this location. So I did. Maybe it was a misprint.;).

Paul Z
02-22-2016, 04:28 PM
I think Dick had it correct. Just think of all of the go in circles on landings you are going to miss, least we forget the more entertains cross wind landing. Your missing the fat tires as well. 😁 I know I have much more entertainment since I converted mine to a Tail Dragger. Hours of boredom, interrupted with some really great landings, and then some landings that look like I never flew a TD. Now I will point out I don't see any Yellow Paint.

Looking good my friend keep up the good work.

I have no idea where that inserted line came from. Damned apple!

DesertFox4
04-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Progress today. Desertfox1 and myself installed something fun on the front of the 7SS. Helps keep the nosegear on the ground.

rv9ralph
04-16-2016, 07:47 PM
It does look like a fun installment for the future. Looks great!!
Congratulations on the milestone.
Ralph

DesertFox4
04-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Thanks Ralph.:)

Airplane building progresses in lots of little advances and occassionally some large leaps. Today was one of those large leaps. Tommorrow, more little advances but always enjoyable ones.

jmodguy
04-17-2016, 03:47 AM
Looks good! Now add all the stuff that makes it go.... :D

PNWJARED
04-17-2016, 07:52 AM
DesertFox4: I am seeing a potential problem...... you may have to change your moniker to DesertFox7! or DesertFox47 or ??

I am fairly new to Kitfox so my experience is limited. As we all do, we use the site to resolve our own distinct issues. Mine currently is the fuel smell in the cabin. From what i have read it is attributed to two things, the First is fuel line choice using a fuel line that is not vapor permeable like a fuel injection line the second is changing out the original roto-molded tank. I see in one of the previous pictures that you are using a molded tank. I recently purchased the Aluminum tank and will be installing new fuel lines in efforts to remedy the gas smell. I currently have to air mine out a minute or two prior to flight. Anyway I'm sure there are thoughts on the matter.

DesertFox4
04-17-2016, 08:19 AM
Jared, I haven't used a plastic header tank for fuel since 1999. My 7 has the aluminum header tank already mounted. I did use a plastic molded tank in my model 4 as a smoke system oil reservoir after epoxying most of the inlets shut. Worked good for that purpose but I have long since removed the entire smoke system in my Model 4.

Good fuel lines and the aluminum header tank will cure most cockpit fuel smell problems.

As for my moniker, the "4" part of it will never change reguardless of model Kitfox flown. It is related to the start up of the Desertfox Squadron back in 2,000. I was the fourth founding member of six original founding members. We stopped assigning member numbers after six. Probably way more info. than you needed.:)

PNWJARED
04-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the response. Was wondering if upgrading my header tank was more work than i needed!!

I did not know that. I always thought it was because you flew a 4, mere coincidence.
Well thank you this is an excellent forum. You have maintained a level of dedication as well. You have posted to mine and many of the posts I have researched. Thank you!!

Flybyjim
04-17-2016, 02:32 PM
The engine looks soooo good hanging there, also love the firewall, inspiration for all of us.

ohlhausenr
04-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Looks good. Congratulations!

DesertFox4
04-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Jared, Jim and Ray, thanks for the support.:)

DesertFox4
04-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Another good day in the shop.
Brake lines routed and attached to cylinders and clear brake fluid reservoir. A slight interuption in brake line completion as I decided I would like a parking brake in this aircraft. No more jumping out trying to get chocks down before the airplane rolls away or into another aircraft.:eek:
My pre- landing checklist will now include an entry that says: "Don't land with parking brake actuated!"

Mounted parking brake valve to center counsol cover.

Installed battery "box" and master solenoid and starter solenoid for minimum wire run lengths. Pretty much copying how the factory lays out theirs. Drilling mounting holes through pretty stainless steel firewalls is kind of hard on drill bits.:rolleyes:

Made temp brakets for aluminum radiator placement.

Installed Rotax oil sump resivoir.

On a bit of a personal note. I'd like to say how blessed I am to be able to spend so much quality time building side by side with Desertfox1.
He is in the shop just about evey moment I am, guiding, helping, telling great stories and making a day of aircraft building incredibly enjoyable. Sometimes we even force ourselves to put down the tools and go flying. Next weekend is a scheduled fly weekend plus lots of building still. Life is good.
I think both of us feel real fortunate to be right next door to our friend Bill Prokes who stops in regularly to check on us or lend a hand or help solve a problem. Thanks guys.:)
Until next weekend.
DF4 out.

kmach
04-18-2016, 07:43 AM
Good progress, and I like your comments on your helpers , great stuff

jiott
04-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Am enjoying your posts Fox4.
I also have the parking brake installed and wouldn't be without it. Eliminates the need for chocks in many cases. I love the way Kitfox has you install it way forward on the center console. No way you can reach it in flight without undoing your shoulder belts-eliminates (nearly) the possibility of landing with it on. Much safer than a parking brake in a Cessna Skycatcher that had a Tee shaped handle just like the carb heat right next to it! Don't ask how I know.

I found drilling the stainless firewall was easiest by drilling a small, 1/8", hole first and then enlarging to size with a step drill. Easy on bits and very little burr.

DesertFox4
04-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks Kevin and Jim.:)

Jim, your tip on drilling stainless works. We did use that proceedure. It was hardest on the first small bit. The step drilling was very easy. We find slower drilling speeds worked best. Desertfox1 held a small 2x4 block on the backside of the firewall to protect it from damage from drill bit pressure and bit breakthrough. It made for beautiful holes with no firewall distortion.

Also looking forward to the convenience of the parking brake and the factory location makes perfect sense.

DesertFox4
05-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Wiring commences, fuel valve and parking brake installed. Brake lines all routed but not yet connected to parking brake so console cover can still be easily removed for wiring runs.

Decided to try the headphone jacks in the console this time. Usually place both sets behind the co-pilot for easy reach in-flight but found with oxygen tubing running from the baggage compartment on many of our flights, it might be easier in this new location. Less tangling with the O2 hoses and still be out of the way of the controls is my thinking. Will let you know in the future if that line of thought proves out.

TahoeTim
05-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Where did you get those jack brackets? After building my Zenith with jacks in the dash, I did my Kitfox and my new Ercoupe behind the co pilot. I didn't like the cords around my legs and lap. So far, the co pilot location works ok in the Ercoupe.

I hope I haven't gone the wrong way?

jmodguy
05-06-2016, 05:50 PM
DF4
Great idea for the headset jacks... Wish I had thought of it.
Still digging that flight over the AZ desert. Best flight yet :D

Tahoe Tim
These are avialable from AC Spruce. I used them for the rear seat pax on my 68 E33A. Recessed jacks look nice!

DesertFox4
05-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Aircraft Spruce as Jeff said. :)

Av8r3400
05-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Link (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/jack_hous2.php?clickkey=3198651).

DesertFox4
05-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Mine didn't have the clamps so I pop-riveted them.

DesertFox4
06-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Photos from last weekend. Hooking up sender wires to MGL RDAC and fuel filter mounted on firewall along with bulkhead fitting. Too hot to work this weekend. Sat. was 116 degrees and Sunday 114. :eek:

DesertFox4
06-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Productive weekend again. Fuel flow transducer mounted below passengers seat, rest of cooling system and oil system plumbing finished.
Ordered a fuel return line one way check valve from Kitfox Aircraft so fuselage part of fuel system will soon be completed.

Panel surround propped up to see approximately how it might look.
Panel surround was made by DesertFox1.
MGL-Lite will occupy the left third of the panel. MGL V6 radio and my Garmin Aera 500 will live in the raised center avionics section along with a transponder for ADS-B out to be named later. Nothing planned for the right side of the panel. Likely my iPad Air 2 will occupy that area.

The seat is a carbon fiber creation. Extremely light weight and very strong. I borrowed it from DF1 to cover up the tubing for these photos. Very nice though. Maybe he won't notice it is missing.;)

Esser
06-13-2016, 04:16 PM
What is the weight savings on the carbon fibre seat pan? I was thinking of doing something similar

DesertFox4
06-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Haven't weighed it Josh. I know it must be at least half the weight. It does have a layer of glass on the underside I noticed. No tool boxes though. A really cool piece. It looks like a lot of work went into it and it fits beautifully.

SkySteve
06-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Wow! That's beautiful, Steve. Nice work. I really like the hand & finger on your MGL!!! :D

desertfox1
06-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Hey Josh,

The seat weighs just under 5 pounds. It was built a little heavy and has a layer of Kevlar under neath. Only a small weight savings but if you do enough of them they add up. Great fun building these things, huh?

Phil laker

Esser
06-13-2016, 08:21 PM
It all adds up! I think I'll get mine flying before I start getting crazy with the CF.

DesertFox4
06-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Panel surround work commences.

Making templates for aluminum plates that will go in the left opening and the avionics stack in the center.
First templates were out of heavy paper then out of thin black plastic then aluminum. The aluminum plates will be finished on a CNC machine that will make the cut outs for the EFIS, switches, radio, transponder GPS ect. This system allows fairly quick changes if the panel needs to evolve in the future and is light weight.

Jfquebec
06-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Woow...really good job...i watch every part of your work...a other good référence for my project...
Thank's to share

SkySteve
06-19-2016, 03:04 PM
VERY nice!!

jmodguy
06-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Lookin good Steve! Hope you aren't sweating too much.... Wait - you don't really sweat when it's that hot do you?? :D
it's only in the 90s here in Indy -a bit more humid tho :(

DesertFox4
07-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Carbon fiber pressure recovery wheel pants trial fit. Very light weight but we haven't weighed them yet. Bill and Papa are responsible for these beauties. Likely will not permanently install until after test flights are completed.

Working on panel also but no photos today.
Might get to the carbon fiber boot cowl next week but pretty warm here for layup right now.
Going with the Macfarlane vernier throttle cable on this Kitfox.
9 circuit breakers installed with buss bar. Shunt installed. Ground buss installed.
Pilot and co-pilot headset jacks installed in center consol side panels.
Light switches installed and heater two speed switch installed.
Awhile since I've posted so guarantee I'm forgetting some items.

jmodguy
07-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Lookin good Steve!
Still remember the Feb flight and that really keeps me motivated!

DesertFox4
07-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Thank you sir. Enjoyed that flight also.
Not getting much flight time on the model four lately but really enjoying my 7SS build so there is that.

DesertFox4
08-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Rotax exhaust installed today. Perfect fit right out of the box.
Did a little wiring also and worked on another Kitfox build also.
Helped install a Franklin 90 hp engine in a Stolp Starlet project.
Busy day and fun day at the Arizona airplane factory.

Flybyjim
08-14-2016, 05:25 AM
That is good to hear, so many times we need to adjust things as we go. It is rewarding when we can just turn the wrench and go. Thanks for the photo.

DesertFox4
09-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Panel work continues.
So many wires for such a simple panel.

Panel inserts cut out of aluminum.
Will be painted flat black for non-glare.
Two more holes will be drilled in left insert at top center for
low fuel warning indicator(red) and iEFIS (orange).
Left side of left insert will hold two switches for ignitions
and master switch and avionics master.

Inserts trial fit.
Center stack:
AirGizmo for Garmin Aera GPS with weather/traffic.
Appareo ESG Transponder with ADS-B-Out and built in
WAAS GPS
MGL V6 Comm. radio with built in intercom.
square hole below transponder (not yet cut or shown in this photo)
for ELT control
round hole center bottom- MacFarlane vernier throttle
hole bottom right for dual USB charger outlet.

Everything fit perfectly. Epoxy primed then painted flat black.
Waiting on MGL Explorer Lite 8.5" iEFIS to ship soon.
406 ELT will be purchased and installed close to end of build.

Low Fuel Warning tank installed.

jrevens
09-19-2016, 10:20 AM
That looks beautiful Steve! Nice design!

DesertFox4
09-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks John.

The right side will be my iPad Air 2 with Foreflight. This transponder will power
my Stratus S2 with ships power so no more running the S2 battery down and this transponder also connects the S2 to the aircraft's transponder antenna for weather and traffic reception.

Norm
09-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Perfection Steve. Looks great.

DesertFox4
09-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks Norm. Enjoy that model 4.

jmodguy
09-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Lookin good Steve! I like your panel layout!

rosslr
09-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Nice looking panel layout Steve. I can vouch for the Ipad on the RH side - works great!

r

DesertFox4
09-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks Jeff and Ross.

Wanted to keep this as simple as able.
You may have noticed a couple things missing from sight. Circuit breakers, switches other than the four on the left and starter button. All hidden under the front bottom edge of the instrument panel. Nine breakers, 2 light and one heater fan switch and the starter button.

Love the Foreflight program on the iPad although several times here in the heat, the iPad shut down from overheating very quickly so not super reliable in the summertime. The Garmin Aera never quits so traffic and weather is always available.

rosslr
09-20-2016, 08:55 PM
The issue of cooling the Ipad is an important one Steve. I fitted one of these

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/cyclone21.php

I have used a hose and also attached a heat sink to the back of the ipad - I recently flew across Australia Outback in soe pretty hot temperatures and the ipad never quit. The colling fan and 3 ports so I directed on to the back of the Garmin 695 also. The thrid port just blows air ariund the back of the panel.

Easy to fit at the panel stage - and what's a few more wires!!??

cheers

r

DesertFox4
09-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks Ross. May be a solution to both iPad overheating and regulator/rectifier.

David47
09-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Hi DF4. Been following yours and John Evens build threads; very impressed with you both. Hope I can match the excellent workmanship both of you are showing when I start my build next year. Must say I really like the composite instrument Panel with the rolled edge finish. Classy look. Also like the idea of the headset jacks in the side of the centre console. Nice work and good thinking. Keep up the great posts and the excellent work.

Dave Evans
Waiting for the kit. Pacing the floor ...
Readying the build space.

DesertFox4
09-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Thank you David.
I titled this thread because, as Tom Petty sang, " the waiting is the hardest part" of any Kitfox build. My wait was over when John, Debra and Papa personally delivered my kit to my hangar in Phoenix. I'll never forget that day.:)

The anticipation of that large crate arriving after you finally made the decission to dedicate a couple years of your future to fulfilling a dream. Building your own aircraft dreams may have been with you for decades or, started the minute you took a flight in a friend's Kitfox. Maybe you signed up for some specialized training with Stick & Rudder or visited the factory and flew a beautiful factory demonstrator aircraft. It may happen a little differently for each of us however the end result seems a universal certainty. Your hooked.

So David, remember this waiting time before the big box arrives. It will change your life after arrival. Be aware when taking inventory, you are holding parts in your hands that will someday carry you to beautiful locations and on exciting adventures. It will bring you incredible friends you otherwise would never know. A lot to ask from a box of parts? Trust us. You'll see.
Enjoy your build David and welcome to the family.:)

jrevens
09-26-2016, 10:03 AM
How very nicely stated, Steve! A lot of truth there.

efwd
09-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Man am I dreaming of the day my bag of parts are working. Im not sure I like looking at a couple of your build logs though ;). I see what spectacular work is being done and imagine all the extra time involved then I begin to question whether mine will even fly given the fact Im doing just what the manual tells me too. I dont have the talent some folks do. I sure appreciate having you guys to help me with questions though. Welcome to the group Dave. I was there just this past February. Nearing cover now. Waiting for my Oratex to be delivered. Trying to order the firewall forward kit now.
Eddie

rosslr
09-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Steve/Dave,

Maybe john and Debra will personally deliver the kit to Dave too? There's a challenge?? Would have to go in oversize luggage though ......

r

jiott
09-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Eddie, don't stress out. I built mine just like the manual says with very few minor deviations (I did use most all of the factory offered options) and it flies and looks fine. If you see some mods you like and feel comfortable doing them, then go ahead, otherwise just stick with the manual and you can't go wrong. Many of the mods you see here on this site are certainly beautiful and something to be proud of, can you tell I am jealous, but in most cases are only to enhance the builder's satisfaction and personalize his airplane.

DesertFox4
09-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Ross, I'm sure both John and Debra would love to escort a kit to your beautiful country. I'd love to go with them.

Eddie, you will have a great looking and flying aircraft following the manual to the letter and doing no mods. Jim's and hundreds others are flying proof.

efwd
09-26-2016, 07:38 PM
LOL, Maybe I came off as if I was implicating the aircraft. I was more referring to my work and level of expertise when it comes to following the manual. John is following the manual Im sure but what he accomplishes with his craftmanship is astounding. It just makes me feel like I may not be doing a great job. I know I am and I will be enjoying flights like those members over in Australia are with their Kitfoxes! I can't wait. I have many flights to AZ planned. I'll see you at Chandler Muni regularly, (where I got all my ratings).
Eddie

jrevens
09-26-2016, 10:35 PM
Eddie, I second what DF4 and others have said. I'm flattered by the compliments, but it is very likely that your airplane will be a real eye-catcher, and truly more beautiful than what I am building. My airplane will be very plain and unadorned looking. That's just the way it will be, and the way I want it to be - it will be beautiful to me. All of the little mostly hidden "extras" that I have done are strictly for my own satisfaction and just because I could. They won't make the airplane fly any better, and I've added extra weight in some places. My old fashioned instrument panel (for an "old-fashioned" guy) will be pretty heavy compared to the new stuff. However you build yours, it will be a life-enhancing accomplishment... making you a member of a fairly exclusive club. It will be beautiful.

David47
09-27-2016, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom Steve (DX4) and John E. And I'm a bit of a Tom Petty fan myself so should have picked up the thread title straight off ...... Steve, you must be psychic about Stick and Rudder. I plan on following Ross's footsteps in heading to Idaho to do some back country flying in 2018 - and then off to Oshkosh of course. I'm very keen to increase my flying skills and I figure what better place to do it.

Eddie, I'm new to this forum, but I strongly suspect you're under rating yourself. Anyone who choses to do a build like this deserves a ton of respect. It's no small undertaking. It'd be easy to pay the $ and go flying in some else's bucket of bolts. But what you produce is yours and you having bragging rights. Also, the wisdom, knowledge and willingness to share information and help others by people like Steve, John, Jim, Ross and others is what makes this forum a real community.

Ross, perhaps an alternate to John and Debra delivering the kit, we could in the future deliver the finished products enmass by an Australian Kitfox Squadron flyin to Oshkosh ..... !!!. However, there is the small matter of the Pacific.

DesertFox4
09-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Dave, you will enjoy flying with Stick & Rudder. You will get to operate out of their beautiful new facility at Greenleaf.
The training will be top notch and experiencing Idaho flying is unforgetable.

A 10 minute flight or less and you can visit the Kitfox Aircraft facilities at Homedale right on the Snake river.

Oshkosh of course is something every aviator should experience.

Hope to see a build thread on your Kitfox soon after the big box arrives.

Rob3782
10-02-2016, 07:51 AM
[quote=DesertFox4;48171]Butt ribs installed...[quote]

What did you use to cover the inside of the Butt rib with?

DesertFox4
10-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Thin gray plastic.

David47
10-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Steve, yes really looking forward to spending some days with stick and rudder. I can't get over to the USA next year due family commitments so 2018 is the earliest but I know it will challenge the flying skills. I'm currently renewing my PPL and am about to do a tail wheel endorsement in, initially, a Eurofox. It has a 600 kg upper weight limit and from a distance you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a Kitfox. Don't know whether they sell these aircraft in the USA but suspect John McBean would be getting legal advice re design similarities if they did !

rosslr
10-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Hey Dave

is it Eddie Maddon's Eurofox at Tocumwal?

We might be heading over that way later this week on a 9 detoured) route to Narromine - via Mungo Lake.

r

David47
10-03-2016, 01:42 AM
Hi Ross, no it belongs to Craig Hammond, cfi at Lilydale Flying School. It's a nice looking aircraft and a quality build, put together by Tony Brand and co at Horsham Aviation. .... Having said that, I decided on the Kitfox because (a) I want a build project with good OEM support and (b) I think it's a more capable aircraft with proven ancestry.

Also, a question for Steve and anyone else on the site; has anyone installed the GS-Air LED Nav light system with strobes on the wing tips ? Would be interested in feedback regarding quality and ease of installation, not that difficulty scares me.

I'm now down to Nav lights, having finally decided on MGL EFIS, EMS and Comms .... Yes Ross, I dropped the retro idea of analogue .... Thanks for asking the question ....

As I'm semi- retired and therefore running out of productive years, I plan on putting as many hours as I can in each week to try and expedite the build time. I'm trying to make sure I get the kit content as complete as possible. Don't want to be constantly going back to John and Debra, both of whom have been very patient with me. Almost there.

rosslr
10-03-2016, 02:02 AM
Hi Dave

I am a bit concerned we don't hijack Steve's build thread here - I suggest you establish a separate thread for your build - perhaps Dave's S7 Oz Build - or something like that? Meanwhile I will look up the lights I installed - both wingtip Nav/Strobe and Landing/wig wag - both very good and easy to install.

cheers

ross

David47
10-03-2016, 02:52 AM
Agree. I'll move over to your Oz builders thread for any more such posts before I get a kit unless I have input.

rosslr
10-03-2016, 03:18 AM
cheers Dave - I have listed the lights I have over there. thanks for 'hosting' us here Steve!!

r

DesertFox4
10-15-2016, 07:07 PM
MGL Explorer Lite installed today. Also trial fit of Garmin Aera 500 in Air Gizmo mount. Explorer not powered up yet. Throttle and elt contol head left to install.

SkySteve
10-15-2016, 08:51 PM
DF4,
That is looking really nice!

DesertFox4
10-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Thank you Sir.:)
Between the MGL, the Garmin and the iPad with Foreflight I figure my odds of getting lost on the way to the factory fly-in are, well , ya still about 50/50.:rolleyes:
Ya have to know how to run all this stuff too?:eek:

jmodguy
10-16-2016, 06:12 AM
Yeah Steve I was thinking this panel is pretty fancy for you! :D
Looks good! Can't wait to see it in person, at a fly-in out west somewhere in a year or 2...

SkySteve
10-16-2016, 07:36 AM
Thank you Sir.:)
Between the MGL, the Garmin and the iPad with Foreflight I figure my odds of getting lost on the way to the factory fly-in are, well , ya still about 50/50.:rolleyes:
Ya have to know how to run all this stuff too?:eek:

Gotcha. So here's the deal: Step 1, Fly North to the really big lake. Step 2, Continue flying north the the big river in the lava canyon, turn left and follow river in the lava canyon to Kitfox factory. Step 3, Land and show off new panel.