PDA

View Full Version : Question

wingman101
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey guys i have ask this before . I have part # CF-49 this is Intercostal parts they are all wood. Iam going to post a photo iam still not sure about
this part.

SkyPirate
12-06-2009, 03:14 PM
OK I'll bite ,..they look to be tappered down in length and in pairs ,..so my guess is they are tail surface aerodynamic surface blanks ?

Chase

wingman101
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Is this used on the kitfox 2 kits ? This blows my mind i dont see them in my manual.

SkyPirate
12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
my model 2 had flat tail surface,..so I can not answer that question with confidence,..one way to check would be seperate them spaced out over the tail construction starting with shortest towards the outer tips ,..then see if they evenly spcae each other in the length increments ..8 inches apart? 9 inches apart?

Chase

SkyPirate
12-06-2009, 03:28 PM
going from left to right ..the first six might be the horizontal stab rib blanks ..the last six might be the elevator rib blanks

wingman101
12-06-2009, 03:31 PM
I will give that a try. I would think mine would be a flat surface.

SkyPirate
12-06-2009, 03:43 PM
they should line up with each other from the horizontal stabilizer to the elevator once spaced out if they are in fact tail surface blanks,..

I can't remember seeing the strips any where on my model 2 ,..I didn't build it ,.."Acroguy" (Dennis Sawyer) ,..he built it and is on the forum.

Chase

wingman101
12-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry i had friends come over didnt get to look at it. Iam going out in my shop in the morning and look at it. Iam a Ax Man so when it rains i dont
get to work in the woods. More time to work on the kitfox.

SkyPirate
12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
you'll fall in love with that model 2 once she is flying ,..great airplane,..I had mine for almost 3 years,..had so many can't remember but I wish I had kept the model 2 ,..
is that a 582 sticking out of the cowl?

Chase

wingman101
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Here is what i come up with . You may be right here is a photo.

Brian

SkyPirate
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
yes ,..looks like they were intended for the horizontal tail surfaces ,..I've actually seen a few different aircraft of model 3's and 4's that had flying surfaces on horizontal tail areas only ,..none on the vertical,..
I can tell you the 2 fly's well with flat surfaces ,..your cruise will be around 75 mph depend on prop and pitch settings,..
the airfoil surface has less drag so you might gain a couple mph in cruise
,..the difference will be how close you keep your gaps closed,..the laminated air will seperate more from the elevator leading edge area the larger the gap creating like a buble of disturbed air at the hinge point between the horizontal stab and the elevator,..this same effect will be on the vertical surface and rudder as well.

Chase

wingman101
12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
One more for you . What are the tabs on side of the fuselage that stick out about 2 inches.

SkyPirate
12-08-2009, 03:17 PM
you should have some more wood that came with the kit that will fit into the saddle( in the photo),..that go fron the tail area towards the front to the back door opening vertical tubes ..
I believe this stantion with the saddle supports the wood.

Chase

wingman101
12-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I do have some wood in the hanger that came with the plane. I put it in the hanger in july and never got to take a good look at it . I was told
it was for the gear legs but i know i had more wood then i need for the
legs . Iam going to the hanger to pick it up the wood and bring it home.
I got to get me a new manual my dont show anything. I think half mine is
gone.

Av8r3400
12-08-2009, 08:25 PM
The builder of my 1200 did not put this wood into these saddles on that plane. Looks kind of goofy, to be honest. Flat sides with these protruding parts through the fabric...

(Look closely in the photo in my album...)