PDA

View Full Version : Rcbif's Kitfox Model 5 Outback Build

rcbif
09-03-2019, 05:04 AM
I’ve been watching Kitfox sales for the past four years hoping to score a used model IV with Rotax 912. This goal started off maybe a bit optimistic considering when I first started looking I didn’t even have my ASEL (was private glider only), but recently with earning my ASEL last October, and tailwheel within the past few months, my goal was becoming more realistic.

Then last weekend I got a text from an acquaintance wanting to know if I wanted to purchase his Kitfox Series 5 Outback kit. I had originally met this person a year earlier with some internet sleuthing when I was looking for someone nearby with a Kitfox to see in person. He was not planning on selling it then, and I never did go see it, but we talked on and off about our shared interest of soaring – mainly me trying to rope him into the glider club I’m in.

So he offered me a deal that would be hard to say no to, and I went to go check it out. He gave me all of his build docs to look over, which I spent a few days reviewing before a final inspection and closing the deal. My only issue making this come true was space, but I owe one of my aviation friends a bunch, as he helped set me up with a friend who is now sub-leasing his hangar to me. Transport was also made a heck of a lot easier with another aviation friend who had a box trailer and truck, saving me from messing with using a company box truck.

This past Saturday, the Fuselage was moved in one trip, and the wings and rest in the second. After unpacking, I spend the next 6 hours sweeping, moving stuff, and mopping the hangar, finishing 10:00 at night exhausted. Sunday and Labor Day was spend cleaning the shop a bit more, and organizing my shelving unit, and going thru bins of parts labeling them.

First step of the build will be going step by step and checking/signing off in the build manual on what has already been completed. I will be attending my first EAA chapter meeting this week which is conveniently only a few hangars down.

Oh, one last interesting bit – the seller and original owner is an ex U-2 and Blackbird pilot. Found a few pics of him suited up that will be the start of the photo build log.

PapuaPilot
09-03-2019, 06:03 AM
Have fun building you're Outback. It is a great plane. I got my kit second hand very similar to you.

aviator79
09-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Congrats! It looks like you've got quite a head start on building, and all of the previous workmanship is easy to inspect. That's a great score. Have fun with the build. I look forward to following along.

efwd
09-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Yeah, Congrats on your score!. Have fun.

airlina
09-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Eric , where are you in ohio, I'm not to far away with an Outback in Western New York. What engine are you going with? Bruce N199CL

rcbif
09-03-2019, 06:24 PM
I'm in Medina OH. Planning on 100hp Rotax. Not sure if carb or efi yet. May try to get somthing used ic a good deal comes along and I can fly behind it first.

Agfoxflyer
09-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Your pics brings back memories. I took delivery of a Series 5 kit in 1998. It is red powder coated just like yours. great airplanes.

rcbif
09-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Here's the original owners unboxing pic from 98

rcbif
09-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Spend all this week going over previous owners work.

So far, only two mistakes.

First was the steel sleeves were a press fit in the bronze bushings for the horizontal/ elevator hinge.

Second is the inner brake cylinder mount brackets. A hole too big....

Anyone know the material. Will be remaking along with the larger holes for line routing as suggested in the S7 manual.2309523096

Dave S
09-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Second is the inner brake cylinder mount brackets. A hole too big....

Anyone know the material. Will be remaking along with the larger holes for line routing as suggested in the S7 manual.2309523096

RC,

The cut to the chase is contact Kitfox, they have a pile of the correct stock to make these from.

jmodguy
09-08-2019, 09:18 AM
https://www.airpartsinc.com/145_ALUMINUM_RECTANGLE_TUBING.htm

rcbif
09-08-2019, 03:16 PM
Thanks. Right after you posted that I found a scrap piece with material mark.

Continuing going over everything done today I found a deviation I hope is not an issue...

I noticed the drag link pattern is not symetrical from wing to wing. The manual shows for the 13gal tank version of the wing, the drag link pattern starts at the front spar, but one of my wing, it starts at the rear spar.

Cant think of a reason behind this, or if its a genuine goof up. Will this affect anything? Their main reason is just to add triangulation to keep the wings square, right?

rcbif
09-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Well appears someone else has had this situation, and Brandon at Kitfox says it wont affect anything - other than my symmetry OCD, lol

Only other thing I noticed was the rudder deflection was greater than 30° - enough to hit the horizontal, but I guess that is a common issue. Got plenty of time to decide to to address that though. Either a nut and bolt or doubled over plate riveted over the top plate.

Time to start designing a wing rigging jig...

rcbif
09-16-2019, 04:24 AM
Finally done going over all the stuff that has been done, and spent the weekend making wing holders for wing rigging, making leveling blocks for the front, a tail support for the rear, remarking where the lift struts attach, and taking off the landing gear. Also made the temporary supports to attach the lift struts to the wings.

I have the stock model V lifts struts, and the aftermarket aero ones. I was going to use the stock ones for rigging since they are lighter, but noticed the aero ones are 1/4" shorter. Because of this difference, I decided I should probably rig with what will be on there, so I wrapped up the aero struts on foam to protect them during the rigging process.

Just some quick phone pics. My actual builds pics are on my camera at the hangar, and are mostly of me making sawdust for the past 2 days.

Sure makes the RV look small and hangar shrunk with the wings outstretched.

rcbif
09-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Got the wings rigged Sunday after some messing with the aero lift struts. Not sure if they were an early run or what, but for the price, a customer should not have to be grinding weld beads and powdercoat out of the inside of the fish mouth fuselage mounting point. The fit was not even close. Weld beads extended .050" or more into the mouth both top and bottom. Now I gotta touch-up the powdercoat for something that should have been re-machined post weld process.

Spend about 4 hours fitting the fish-mouth portion. One lift strut, if attached to the fuselage and having the wing end supported by hand, has a slight twist that originates at the fishmouth and it's hole, resulting in one rod end naturally resting 1" higher than the other. It takes about 4 pounds of pressure to make the rod ends even height-wise. Hope this does not come back and bite me in the rigging process.

Zero sweep and perpendicular to centerline went well.

Will be setting the dihedral and twist tonight, and examining the one lift strut to be sure it wont cause any issues.

bbs428
10-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Great finding your 5 in such nice shape.
I spent a lot of time and effort in the wing adjustment prior to drilling the holes.
Seemed to take days of checking, adjusting and re-checking.
Sounds like your doing fine.
All the best. Enjoy!!

bbs428
11-18-2019, 07:39 AM
That hanger space looks great for building. Caveat is once it's built - your there at the airport. No white knuckle transport in the middle of the night! How far is it from your home? My local airport is Joplin, Mo. About 20 min. from my home. Hangers are hard to come by. Gotta know someone who knows someone. :(

When you get your large turtlback let me know how much it weighs. If you don't have one yet - purchase a digital scale as to document all equipment for weight and balance. I found one at my local mega-mart. Comes in handy as you add stuff. Reinforces the "keep it light" mind set.

rcbif
11-18-2019, 08:35 AM
That hanger space looks great for building. Caveat is once it's built - your there at the airport. No white knuckle transport in the middle of the night! How far is it from your home? My local airport is Joplin, Mo. About 20 min. from my home. Hangers are hard to come by. Gotta know someone who knows someone. :(

When you get your large turtlback let me know how much it weighs. If you don't have one yet - purchase a digital scale as to document all equipment for weight and balance. I found one at my local mega-mart. Comes in handy as you add stuff. Reinforces the "keep it light" mind set.

Ya, the hangar is great and the owner is a nice guy. Could not have imagined I would have better place to build. I was prepared to build in a small dark t-hangar with single torpedo heater, but a friend introduced me to his friend. The hangar has a separate enclosed shop big enough for wings, and an upstairs lounge/kitchen. I may be "snowed in" a few times this winter ;)

It's 15 min from my house, mostly down a state route. Nice easy drive.

Though it can be flown out, my first landing defiantly wont be there. Not even half mile long, and narrow with little clearance to the parallel taxiway and nearby structures. There is another runway 2 miles away that is twice the size I could trailer to if I chicken out and want more space for high-speed taxi test and whatnot.

I'm probably months away from my turtle deck order. Did yours ship by itself?(got a ship cost if so?) If shipping is over $100, I may just drive over to PA an pick one up at the AP factory.

bbs428
11-18-2019, 09:51 AM
I can empathize about runway being to small. From the air it probably looks even smaller. You have a lounge and kitchen as well? Wow!

My shop is right out my side door. I'll have to work on modifying a boat trailer or use my buddies flatbed to get it to the Joplin airport.
It has two runways: 13/31 is 6,501 by 150 feet and 18/36 is 6,500 by 100 feet. So plenty big enough. It's a regional hub so I'll be restricted when the heavy a/c arrive and depart. Sure hope I can find a hanger when the time comes but no use worrying about it now.

My TB came packed with the FWF kit. No telling how much shipping could be - but I bet it's over 50.00 bucks.

rcbif
11-18-2019, 10:14 AM
My FWF is about 10 weeks out, so maybe I'll add it to that order when the time comes. If lucky, maybe they wont have to increase their standard crate size for it.