PDA

View Full Version : First run on 582 gray head and having issues

beeryboats
09-02-2019, 11:10 AM
I got her to start but runs really rough. Sounds and feels like a dead cylinder. Watching the egt's first one then the other goes cold. I'm not a real fan of two stroke engines but that's what it came with. Besides pulling the plugs, any other ideas?

beeryboats
09-02-2019, 01:20 PM
I found a clue! Oil out the exhaust. When I bought gas I mixed it 100:1 as the oil injection system was new and dry. Looks to my untrained eye that there is too much oil.

Michaels kitfox
09-03-2019, 07:34 AM
If you are mixing the fuel at 100:1 you would be using 1.28 oz. per gallon of fuel. I doubt that the motor is getting to much oil if the fuel to oil mix ratio is truly 100:1

beeryboats
09-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Yes, but the oil injection should be working too.

jonstark
10-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Yes, but the oil injection should be working too.

When I first ran my 582 I mixed oil into the wing tank fuel at 50:1 as well as having the injection system serviced. It ran just fine with both sources of oil. Starting the engine for the first time I wanted to make sure it had adequate lube if the injection system wasn't working.
Nowadays I still mix 100:1 AND use the injection system. Runs fine!

allonsye
01-06-2020, 07:15 AM
I got her to start but runs really rough. Sounds and feels like a dead cylinder. Watching the egt's first one then the other goes cold. I'm not a real fan of two stroke engines but that's what it came with. Besides pulling the plugs, any other ideas?

So what was the outcome here? I had exact same experience. Turned out it was way rich and I had I had the slide pins installed wayyyyyy too high.