PDA

View Full Version : Skystar Bill of Sale

Birdseyeview
08-26-2019, 07:40 PM
When I bought my 2001 Kitfox project I didn't notice that there wasn't an original Bill of Sale from Skystar in all the paperwork. Although I have the original kit invoice from the original owner I understand that this is not accepted by the FAA as proof of purchase. Kitfox has provided a letter on their current website stating that Skystar is no longer in business and as a result they are not able to provide an original Bill of Sale. They state that this letter should be provided to the FAA as a substitute for the missing Bill of Sale. I have official Bills of Sale from the previous owners, just not the original from Skystar Has anyone used this letter that Kitfox provides on their website as a substitute for a missing original Bill of Sale, and has the FAA accepted or rejected it?

avidflyer
08-26-2019, 09:40 PM
I believe that you can list it as built from parts, and that takes care of the ownership trail. I know of others that have gone that route. JImChuk

jmodguy
08-27-2019, 02:27 AM
I also had this issue. The FAA WILL take the Kitfox letter. They require a complete chain of ownership for kit built experimentals. They also have 3 working days to turn a registration around and get it out the door. They will tell you this if you call them. Nice folks out there.

rcbif
08-27-2019, 04:03 AM
Good Morning.

Hope you don't mind me piggybacking your thread, but since it is relevant.....

I am looking at purchasing a single owner 1998 Model V (Skystar) kit who's air-frame is maybe 60% structurally complete.(Not covered, controls not fully rigged, flaperons& brackets not installed, tanks or fuel system not installed, wings not rigged to airframe, no FWF, no avionics, no engine.)

Aside from obtaining the builders manual, extra bought receipts, and previous builders photos, is it safe to say the "original Bill of sale" and the "Current owner transfer to me" bill of sale are the two critical pieces of paper I will need?

Is there anything else?

I have not seen or asked if the seller has the original BOS, but with how organized the rest of the build is, I'm guessing it's in his safe.

Thank-you for any input.

jmodguy
08-27-2019, 06:36 AM
If you bought the kit from the original purchaser (from Skystar) you will need the Skystar Bill of Sale and the original owner Bill of Sale to you. If there were other owners in the middle you will need thos Bill of Sale docs also.

72chevy
08-27-2019, 07:29 AM
I had no bill of sale, used the letter, no problem.

jrthomas
08-27-2019, 09:15 AM
Same for me. I bought a 1995 Model 4/1200 kit. I was the 3rd owner. I completed it in 2015. I remember talking to Deb McBean. She was very helpful. I did what she said, sent in the letter and that was it, simple and easy.

rcbif
08-27-2019, 09:34 AM
If you bought the kit from the original purchaser (from Skystar) you will need the Skystar Bill of Sale and the original owner Bill of Sale to you. If there were other owners in the middle you will need thos Bill of Sale docs also.

Thank-you.

I googled samples of bill of sales for aircraft and I see all these examples include a spot for the n-number.

What does it look like on the Skystar or kitfox bill of sale? Is the n-number field just left blank, or not even there since it is just a kit and does not have one yet?

The Bill of sale is a "legal" document, while the receipt is just a receipt, correct?

Is it safe to say it's ok you don't have an itemized receipt of the original kit purchase as long as you have a Bill of sale?

efwd
08-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Bill of sale will have the Serial Number of the frame. No itemization.

rcbif
08-28-2019, 06:09 AM
This may be a silly question, but after reading the Kitfox note again it didn't answer this, so....

In the event someone purchases a Skystar kit or complete aircraft, would it be of any help to send Kitfox a copy of your Bill of Sale, or would it just end up in the trash since they didnt make that kit?

For example: If a potential problem arises that could affect all Skystar model V owners, are they just one their own - word of mouth to hear about it, or does Kitfox do anything as a courtesy?

EDIT - I found the service bulletin page, so appear so.
http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/index.php/service-bulletin

Dave S
08-28-2019, 09:01 AM
Eric,

The letter of explanation that Kitfox currently has with their technical FACS is pretty clear; and, is the limit of what they can do on the issue. The lines of responsibility are clear.

Basically the builder makes their case as to why an original BOS is not available which includes the Kitfox letter of explanation. You do have to provide information supporting how the kit ended up in your hands - i.e. a chain of ownership which can be established by records other than a BOS.

The FAA knows all about the skystar bankruptcy (as well as about a hundred others) and they run into this all the time; and, as indicated by an earlier poster - the FAA is there to help and they do - you just have to give them something to work with.

They will not register a craft on the basis - "I have this kit, no idea how I got it or where it came from".....have to have a reasonable chain of ownership.

FWIW - I had an early S7, got severely burned by the bankrupcy, no BOS, (the current Kitfox company was not there yet and the letter of explanation they now have was not available). For extra intrigue, although the earlier kitfoxes were listed as a 51% kit, that had not been done by skystar on the early S7s by the time of the bankrupcy. All this was easily resolved by crafting my letter of explanation as to what happened, including a copy of the "dear john" letter from skystar's lawyers, offering to provide any and all receipts and payment dates in my possession (which was never asked for); and, using the FAA's builder's checklist to establish 51% with the help of the DAR who inspected my plane. Chain of ownership was less of an issue since I was the purchaser of the original kit.

Anyway - Although Kitfox has made this a lot easier with their letter of explanation, there is more than one way to skin this cat; and, the FAA will address any reasonable situation - I found them very helpful along the way and good to deal with.

Lynn Matteson
09-09-2019, 10:12 AM
I believe that you can list it as built from parts, and that takes care of the ownership trail. I know of others that have gone that route. JImChuk

I am the 4th owner of my Kitfox model IV, and what Jim Chuk said is exactly what I did because there was a widow involved as the 2nd owner. I got nervous about this situation and just listed mine as built from parts.
Lynn Matteson

Rik
09-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Is what you are in search/need of an MSO? Manufacturer's Statement of Origin?

That's what the state's typically use to form the title of the vessels. If you run into dead ends, you can merely make an MSO as you the creator and then it will be titled as your creation rather than a Kitfox or Skystar. That will affect the value however.

HighWing
09-09-2019, 11:34 AM
I too registered mine as built from miscellaneous parts - one of the check box options. I was a bit concerned and made up a comprehensive listing of those modifications I installed from non Kitfox parts. I did not send the list with my registration papers but made the list as a just in case possibility. I received the registration with no requests for clarification or explanation.

avidflyer
09-09-2019, 03:17 PM
I am the 4th owner of my Kitfox model IV, and what Jim Chuk said is exactly what I did because there was a widow involved as the 2nd owner. I got nervous about this situation and just listed mine as built from parts.
Lynn Matteson

Hi Lynn, glad to see you are still monitoring the Kitfox group, even if I haven't noticed any posts from you recently. Are you still flying the Jabiru engine? JImChuk