PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the panel

redbowen
08-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Looking for solutions for having the panel layout cut. I have looked at some of the software options and also checked out the Panel design Up North Aviation - Home (http://www.upnorthaviation.com/) website. What have the rest of you done to get your panel design cut?

efwd
08-25-2019, 02:49 PM
It seems a whole lot simpler if your using EFIS and the like. Big round holes for steam gauges might be more difficult, requiring special tools. All my panel holes were laid out using the Garmin templates they provide on line. Drilled the holes at the corners and cut out the edges with a jigsaw. All my switches were cut using a step drill bit. I just put the templates in place and taped them down before using a center punch at all the corners to mark my spots.

tracstarr
08-25-2019, 02:53 PM
I'm currently working on mine now. I'm modeling it in aurocad and getting it locally. Talked to a few places and it will cost about 150 cdn including material. I can't use my existing panel material as it was cut by previous owner.

I'm just perfecting the template for my model 6. Started with template from another member but it was a bit off for me.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

ken nougaret
08-25-2019, 03:25 PM
I guess I'm old school or really cheap. I drew my panel and then proceeded to drill many #30 holes close together. Then cleaned up with a file. It took time but came out nice.

Dave S
08-25-2019, 04:03 PM
I guess I'm old school or really cheap. I drew my panel and then proceeded to drill many #30 holes close together. Then cleaned up with a file. It took time but came out nice.

I'm with Ken on this - cost was an issue for me and I am fine with old school. If a person is careful you can't tell it from a shop job. Very happy with the results. Quickest cut was trimming the outside edge with the bandsaw.:)

redbowen
08-25-2019, 05:59 PM
I'm definitely looking for CAD options. I plan on flush mounting an iPad and an EFIS and really want a clean CnC or laser cut panel. I did the old school method on my model 5 and it turned out ok, but this one I want really clean and possibly laser etched labeling. Compared to other portions of the build, I don't find the professional cut panels to be unreasonable. I'm looking for advice on ways to produce the CAD file, on a Mac not a PC. There is Panelplanner, but the guy at Up North will do the entire design and cutting for the same price as the Panelplanner software.

ejoern
08-25-2019, 07:04 PM
Bryan,

I had a great experince with Steve at Aircraft Specialty in Wisconsin. He worked with me and even sent a sample panel made of plastic to test fit everything before cutting the final panel from alumunim. I think we went though at least 15 revisions before I settled on the design. I also have a flush mount for the iPAD and an EFIS (MGL) along with the Garmin GTR200 radio, air vents, switches, etc. He would have my panel design already in CAD that you could use. I have a SS.

Eric Joern

Delta Whisky
08-25-2019, 08:18 PM
I laid mine out using Draftsight (2D CAD, free until the end of the year), printed it out full size (Staples), glued it on the blank panel and then cut the round holes with either a fly cutter or a rotabroach and the square hole with a sabre saw/file. You can see in the pictures a change or two I had to make between the first CAD version and the final one.

JimB
08-26-2019, 05:48 AM
Hi Everyone, long time lurker but this is my first post. I just placed my order for a 7SS kit (Est. delivery September 2020) but i'm looking to get a headstart on some of the design aspects before the kit arrives and the real fun begins.

Does anyone have panel dimensions or an accurate CAD model they'd be willing to share? I'm a design engineer by trade so I have access to all of the usual software platforms/file formats.

Many thanks!
-Jim

Tom Waid
08-26-2019, 01:07 PM

Like Ken, I'm old school. Dremel tools, files, and step drills. A lot of work but I'm very satisfied with the results. The process can be viewed here (http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox12.htm#Building%20the%20Instrument%20Panel).

Delta Whisky
08-26-2019, 06:37 PM
JimB - If I can attach a CAD file, you will find it here. Well, I can't, PM will be sent. Standby. Cheers, Darrel

Rik
08-27-2019, 04:53 PM
I'm definitely looking for CAD options. I plan on flush mounting an iPad and an EFIS and really want a clean CnC or laser cut panel. I did the old school method on my model 5 and it turned out ok, but this one I want really clean and possibly laser etched labeling. Compared to other portions of the build, I don't find the professional cut panels to be unreasonable. I'm looking for advice on ways to produce the CAD file, on a Mac not a PC. There is Panelplanner, but the guy at Up North will do the entire design and cutting for the same price as the Panelplanner software.

Ok.. Do you have the dimensions of the gauges, bolt pattern and the general layout with dimensions?

If so this is super easy. I use a cad program to layout things and such all the time. I then convert the files to a .DWG for my waterjet guy and he cut's them out as per the drawing.

So, if you have the exact dim's and were you want each it's going to be easy.

redbowen
08-27-2019, 05:12 PM
Ok.. Do you have the dimensions of the gauges, bolt pattern and the general layout with dimensions?

If so this is super easy. I use a cad program to layout things and such all the time. I then convert the files to a .DWG for my waterjet guy and he cut's them out as per the drawing.

So, if you have the exact dim's and were you want each it's going to be easy.

Which program are you using?

redbowen
08-27-2019, 05:13 PM
Bryan,

I had a great experince with Steve at Aircraft Specialty in Wisconsin. He worked with me and even sent a sample panel made of plastic to test fit everything before cutting the final panel from alumunim. I think we went though at least 15 revisions before I settled on the design. I also have a flush mount for the iPAD and an EFIS (MGL) along with the Garmin GTR200 radio, air vents, switches, etc. He would have my panel design already in CAD that you could use. I have a SS.

Eric Joern
Looks very nice, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give Steve a call.

redbowen
08-27-2019, 05:15 PM
I laid mine out using Draftsight (2D CAD, free until the end of the year), printed it out full size (Staples), glued it on the blank panel and then cut the round holes with either a fly cutter or a rotabroach and the square hole with a sabre saw/file. You can see in the pictures a change or two I had to make between the first CAD version and the final one.

Looks great, nice job. I will check out the Draftsight CAD. Thanks

Looks like another rWindows only program. Need to have a Mac based CAD program.

Rik
08-27-2019, 06:17 PM
I use AutoCad and TurboCad.

Your not going to be able to pay for the cad software and get it cutout cheap for a one time use. It's easy to draw out once you have dims and the software but unless you want to spend $$$$ it's easier to just give dim's and someone draw it up and then you can send it to a waterjet or laser if you want to brag about how much you spent getting it cutout.

Getting it cutout is the lowest cost of the equation in reality.

I drew this out with the dim's off a Garmin G3X panel...

N213RV
08-28-2019, 05:26 AM
On all my planes, I drew up what I wanted right on the panel and cut it with a thin 3” cutoff wheel, at least for the square holes. Round holes were cut with a fly cutter. Smaller holes were drilled around the perimeter and flies. Worked great for me and was free!

tracstarr
08-28-2019, 05:59 AM
I'll link to some cad files later today. I've got a few components defined that can be used as needed.

-- blank panel for kf6
-- g3x
-- g5 flush mount
-- standard toggle switches
-- artex elt remote switch
-- standard throttle
-- ac200 prop controller and manual pitch controller

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Rik
08-28-2019, 09:23 AM
With this much data, we can just nest the items and be done with it.

Can we get a cad drawing of the dash for a KF7?

tracstarr
08-28-2019, 10:09 AM
I will start posting the files I've made to https://grabcad.com/tracstarr-1/models . I only have the base panel up right now. I want to tweak the other files a bit to allow others to use easier.

I'm no expert with this stuff, but it's all drawn to spec from manuals. Other than the panel, which I created from scratch with measurements I took.

Rik
08-28-2019, 11:52 AM
I'm far from an expert on the KF, but I think I read somewhere that the 6 was really really similar to the 7?

If so, the dash should probably be interchangeable.

Someone needs to contact KF and see..

Rik
08-28-2019, 12:13 PM
With the KF6 dash profile we just need your gauge data and then you can have a file that can be laser, cnc or? cutout.

tracstarr
08-28-2019, 02:29 PM
In theory yes. The base panel I have put up includes the 1 inch extra material at the bottom to bend. I don't know how current kits come. Is the panel pre cut with the bend? I'm starting from a sheet, so that's why I have it.

Rik
08-28-2019, 02:35 PM
?? No one is chiming in with any info that has one. I drew it with the lip that you mentioned. Someone will need a press brake to put the hard 90 on the bottom.

Don't know what kind of gauges he wants to use. I used the dim's of an IPad mini, but then again he might be wanting to use something larger or?

tracstarr
08-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Ok, I've added a bunch more models now. As anything, use at your own risk. Print and test fit and check before actual use. I've not actually done any cutting yet myself.

The way I setup the components to work together is by using layers with similar names. When you add them to your main layout, you can easily hide things like the annotations. Most models also include one or both of (front/back) layers. These show the dimensions of the items as they fit and the space they actually take up. This helps with layouts in how close you can put things.

Hope it helps.

Delta Whisky
08-29-2019, 05:56 PM
1. Anyone needing a CAD file of the panel - send me an email: m2watson at soarhome dot com.
2. If you are looking for a really inexpensive CAD program, it can be yours for the price of joining the EAA - they have a great deal with Solidworks - FREE. Personally, as noted earlier, I've used Draftsight (by Dassault) but they are going to start charging for it in 2020. It appears to be free till then. It is a 2D program - but 2D meets my needs. The real issue here - I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn enough of 3D (Solidworks) for the small jobs I find on the Kitfox and around the house, or, to be honest, I like Draftsight enough to pay the fee for at least a year.

Darrel