PDA

View Full Version : Gps

Av8r3400
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Open question to our membership and guests:

What kind of GPS do you have or use in your planes and what do you like and dislike about it?

I'm looking to replace the Magellan SkyNav 5000 in my plane that is no longer supported and it doesn't work that well, anyway. I'm considering a portable more than a traditional panel mount like the SkyNav or the mega $ 430/530.

hansedj
12-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I use the garmin 196 got it for a good price from someone upgrading, and it works well.

RobS
12-03-2009, 08:23 PM
For $650 the AirMap 2000C was my choice and have been quite pleased with it.

It has a large 5 inch, 256-color diagonal display with a resolution of 320x240. It has terrain awareness that can also display a profile view of upcoming terrain and an ETA to that point. It included MapCreate mapping software that allowed me include additional "local landmarks, etc." via the MMC/SD card reader/writer that comes with it. Plus all the gear I needed to install it - like the remote amplifying antenna, cigarette power adapter, yoke mount and suction-cup mount bracket. Additional features included a customizable HSI screen that can be displayed from a menu of over 20 options.

I have never used a Garmin, but the combination of the price and features of the Lowrance 2000C made it a cost effective choice . . . and I have not been disappointed.

DanB
12-04-2009, 07:30 AM
I tend to shy away from Magellan products as I have been through 2 units in my truck (both went south within a year). I have owned a Garmin Nuvi for the last 3 years, a Garmin 295 for the last 4 and a 396 for the last 2 years. I have not had a stitch of trouble with any of them.
I will highly recommend the Garmin 396 as I like having the weather feature (and XM Radio) I can activate for extended trips. The used ones are droping to a palatable price now.

Av8r3400
12-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Magellan no longer makes aviation units and it sounds like Lowrance won't for much longer, too. From my experience with what I have, getting something that is no longer supported or produced is not good.

I've been thinking of a Garmin 196 for it's unbeatable reputation and cost. I'd like a 495 or 695, but they are just too costly for me (I've no use for XM).

Now I read in AOPA that Garmin will stop production on the 196 and 495/6 soon, in favor of the aera 500 series touch screen units.

Man... :confused:

SkySteve
12-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I have the Lowrance 2000c and love it. The large screen is the best feature. I use the Landing Guidance feature at new airports. Being able to have weather would be very nice and weather is not available on the 2000c.

Slyfox
12-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I have the Iq3600a in the kitfox and has worked great, but small screen compared to the Garmin 696 in the RV which is absolutely amazing. I plan on getting the 1inch ball mount for the kitfox so I can move the 696 back and forth between planes when I do a long distance in the kitfox. Otherwise the Iq will stay in the kitfox.

jrthomas
12-04-2009, 03:02 PM
I have a Garmin 296. This is my third Garmin. My 1st was a first generation 45XL. It started doing strange things so I sent it in for repairs. Garmin couldn't reproduce my problem so they sent me a new one. Such good service and no other problems in the last 10 or 12 years is why I went back with Garmin. James Thomas

akarmy
12-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I started with the Garmin 196, nice and simple, quite cheap also. Then upgraded to the Garmin 296, just had to get some nice color. Then I wanted the nice terrain and faster processor, with the addition of private airports, so I upgrade to the Garmin 495 (this is the one without the onboard weather subscription). I really like it, just big enough to see, but small enough to not take up all your panel space.

airlina
12-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Jim, I have used the anywhere map system for about 5 years now, 1st on a PDA and now with the ATC display that I purchased at OSH this summer. I have had good success with the anywhere map system and found it to be the most reasonably priced unit at about 500 bucks. The pros of this unit: finger touch navigation (no stylus required for the on screen button displays) easy to use with more functions than I will ever use, nice display that can be user modified to different features (VFR, IFR, Emergency etc) , obstacle and terrain warnings. Cons : sunlight readability is better than the PDA I used to use but still not perfect, some of the functions that the operators manual describes are not currently functioning as advertised. As an example , the manual states that when the emergency mode is selected (in case of lets say an engine out) that the on screen view will automatically go to the range to show airports that you can glide to based on altitude. In reality this does not happen and the range goes to 21 miles every time this mode is selected. The company should not put this stuff in the manual until it is ready for prime time.
Overall I find the unit capable for my navigation needs and I would recommend it . I have attached a photo of my install in my Series 5. Bruce

Dave S
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Also have the Lowrance 2000C, for $625 it was the best features for the buck at the time of purchase. I don't worry about obsolesence much - it it does what I need - it will probably still do that till it dies - an uncomplicated, easy to use unit that gives me about 1000 X more precise and usable data than the old omni-vor ever did. For the cost of a much higher priced garmin I can replace this a few times - everything electronic becomes obsolete yesterday anyway if a person is chasing the latest and greatest. If it busts some time - I am sure I can find something else to replace it with given how fast features/prices & electronic evolution takes place.

For that matter, a cheap old hand held bottom of the bucket GPS one would use walking a trail gives you way more info than the VOR too.....

Now, If I were much richer???? Who knows!

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
St Paul, MN

Av8r3400
05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
My advise is to look at who is in business now and what the future status could be. I'd stay away from Lowrance any more, they no longer support their aircraft units so updating is no longer possible. Garmin will soon stop making the 1xx, 3xx and 4xx so I decided not to go that way either.

I chose to pony up $800 for the Garmin 500 and I am ecstatic with the decision. I didn't need the XM features either, so I went with the "base" unit of this chassis. It is very easy to use in the plane, en-route, and logical to understand. With all the "Nuvi" units they have now sold, I thought the touch screen was sufficiently R&D'ed to death and would be reliable. I can't think of using the curser buttons like my buddy's 295.

I am not familiar with the "Anywhere Map" units so I can't offer a comparison to them, sorry.

MotReklaw
05-27-2010, 07:32 AM
My experience:

I owned a Lowrance Airmap 300 back in the mid 90's. It quit on me and I bought a Garmin 196. It was quite an improvement. I sold the Garmin with the plane a 2-3 years ago. When we built another plane we opted for the new Lowrance 2000C. I had it for about 6-8 months before actually using it in flight. It was defective and so I sent it for repair to Lowrance's repair facility. They received it April 16. I'm still waiting to get it back. In one of my many conversations with their support people I was told that Lowrance was getting out of the Aviation GPS business and concentrating on their primary products in the Marine field. The 2000C has not been updated since 2006 or 2007. You can still get jeppensen updates, but that is it.

I was told Monday that they were waiting on a shipment of GPSs to come in and they would send me a new one. There was no indication of when it would be. I asked for a refund, but it was denied. I was told once that it would be 8-10 weeks before I got a replacement.

In the meantime, I've sold the plane and we are going to the factory August 13 to pick up the SS7 kit and haul it back to Alabama.

Take care,
Tommy Walker in Alabama
Can't wait till I get the Kitfox home

cap01
05-27-2010, 07:51 AM
how are the touch screens to use when your flying in rough air and bouncing around ? i have trouble hitting some of the small buttons on my radio without steading my hand on the side of the radio .

Slyfox
05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
I would stay away from the touch screens. My Iq3600a is that way, I don't dare use the touch screen, I can never get things to work right with that, it needs to be really calm, even then I don't want to concentrat on making the right touch, button all the way, which I can do with the 3600. Buy a unit that has button capability . You will regret it if you don't.

Av8r3400
05-27-2010, 06:08 PM
As I said the touch screen on my Aera 500 works AWESOME in flight, even with the "active" ride of a light Kitfox.

The buttons that appear on the screen are much larger than the "hard" buttons on most GPSs. I found that in rough conditions, if I put my hand on the housing to steady myself, I can easily navigate through the screens and operate the unit. (My flight home from S'nF with the unit proved it to me.)

I have no regrets for buying the touch screen Aera 500 and enthusiastically endorse it.

DesertFox4
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Larry, how did you mount the Aera? Gizmo in the panel or surface mount?

Av8r3400
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I actually have mine on a suction cup mount on the panel.

Av8r3400
05-27-2010, 08:08 PM
When I redo the panel in my 1200, I plan on getting a Gizmo mount for the Aera. I don't want to chop up the beautiful panel on my yellow plane so the suction cup is fine.

enyaw
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone have any experience with the iFly (http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/Home.aspx) 700?

7" screen, actual sectionals as background, includes Approach and Departure charts, Airport Diagrams, TACs and Sectionals and sells for $499 w/a 30 day guarantee (including return postage). Missing some of the whistles and bells that others have (like output for autopilot), but looks like it's got everthing the VFR pilot would want (and more).

Review from Plane and Pilot (http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/products/tech-talk/adventure-pilot-ifly-700.html)

HansLab
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I fly with Garmin's 296: at first strapped to my leg, now to be build-in in my KitFox. The Garmin oes everything you could ask for, it's cheap, small, mobile-if-you-want-to, not too new so it won't be too interesting for thieves: when its broke I get me another one!!
Hans

ackselle
10-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I just installed an Aera 500.... using a modified yoke mount. Works great! Just far enough away from the compass so it doesn't affect swing.

Ackselle

Russell320
10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm looking at the Aera 500. How does the 500 screen look in the bright sunlight?

ackselle
10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Tried it yesterday(Aera 500)....beautiful sunny sky, I could see the screen quite well, both flying away from and flying towards the sun.

cap01
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
i had thought of using a gizmo , even bought one .ended up taking it back . decided not to chop up the panel so much . mounted a ram ball to a blank 2 1/4 inst hole . used a short arm with it and works good . i used the stub antenna for a while but eventually mounted the external antenna forward of the inst panel and just aft of the firewall , works good thru the fiberglass cowl

DanB
10-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Looks good Chuck...I had not seen that done b-4. I'm sure works out great.

SkySteve
10-03-2011, 02:17 PM
That looks very functionable. And easy to change to another GPS without worrying about the cutout. I like it.

Lion8
10-27-2011, 06:13 AM
I purchased an ifly700 recently for my Kitfox IV I'm rebuilding. I like the bigger screen and the full screen charts. Putting in a way point dosen't show up as good as teh 2000c. It's still new yet so I can't give a real good review. I will know a lot more about the ifly700. BTW, it costs $69. per year for downloadable updates. NOT FAA approved to eliminate hard charts on board. The updates are very simple with a flash drive. Need to check on the updates for the 2000c.
Haven't had much luck with it.

SkySteve
10-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Lion8,
My understanding is there are no more updates avilable for the 2000c. If you find out updates are available, please let us know.