Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: O-320 B2B STi with Super Cub cowl follow up

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default O-320 B2B STi with Super Cub cowl follow up

CCA490BE-480E-4E05-A14A-5DDC47D47B95.jpg
    E601588A-73F2-45DD-97CE-3202E395BE68.jpeg

This post may rub most the wrong way and give hope to many others. Allow me to alleviate the “garbage in, garbage out”.
    I went against the grain with a 320 with a cub cowl and I can say I cannot be happier. Here are my numbers. Empty weight is 963#, me (220) and full fuel I can climb out over 2200’ per min. Fuel burn on average has been 6.5 leaned ROP. I have an 84/37 Catto that is a true stump puller. Take off at gross I am at or just short of 100’ Stall is 39 mph full flapperons with no VG’s. I suspect itll get lower with them. 6# of ballast in the tail I can jam on the brakes with zero question of nosing over. Cruise with this hot prop is slow (90 mph). About to try a fatter prop and hope to see 110 mph. At 1650# (you read that correctly) at 4000’ I was still climbing 1700’ per minute. Aircraft flys just swell at that weight. I do not condone doing so however. Super sporty feel. I paid 9k for the engine. Same weight or lighter than a Titan at a fraction of the price. Never once has this aircraft felt nose heavy. In fact I have had many guys lift the tail and tell me its super heavy. I may actually remove my ballast. Aircraft lives outside in the harsh Alaskan climate, and a complete non issue. This aircraft is an absolute monster.
    Last edited by Denalifox; 09-21-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying